Ubuntu winning again

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=2bsd-7linux-bench&num=4

I know Sup Forums probably won't like benchmarks that favor Ubuntu but this shows the 16.10 nightly kicking the fuck out of everything except Clear Linux (Intel's optimized-for-Intel distribution)

Also, distro poll from last week where Ubuntu clearly came out ahead of all distros

strawpoll.me/10990789/

This is basically the Ubuntu board, all other distros including Gentoo can fuck off

woah i can play MInes 0.002x faster on ubuntu. brb installing it.

Performance clearly matters to most people you colossal fucktard, otherwise no one would upgrade their perfectly-good 2008 hardware.

>Performance clearly matters to most people you colossal fucktard
Not on Sup Forums, you must be new here.
Most Sup Forumsentoomen choose distro on political decisions, like systemd, rolling release, source based or whatever.
Canonical keep making retarded decisions for ubuntu, this is why most of us try to avoid *buntu distros.

For most part the difference is so small it's statistically insignificant unless this is the average of 1000 test runs.

This is not false.

I could use Ubuntu myself though, I'm also rooting for it because it has the potential to compete with mainstream systems. It needs to be capable but easy.

Why not Windows?

>Also, distro poll from last week where Ubuntu clearly came out ahead of all distros

>72% don't use Ubuntu

62%, I'm an idiot.

It needs to be consistent and should contribute to develop good and trusted technologies.
We end up with:
-mir, instead of wayland/weston
-unity, creating a de is not a problem, if it's not a clusterfuck. It's heavy on the system and a dependence nightmare.
-systemd, redhat botnet, this shit has nothing to do outside rhel and fedora.
You simply can't choose ubuntu if you care about technologies and political decisions.
Being lazy is the only "good" argument in favor of ubuntu.

Probably b8 but my personal reasons for not needing/using Windows (I used it up till about 3-4 years ago)

-I like the freedom (as in privacy/liberty) of Linux (could easily afford to pay for Wangblows but why when there's a superior option available for free)

-I like to use my hardware until it breaks and if I used Windows on my current 2010 laptop it might not work that great and lag and shit, whereas Ubuntu is lightning fast

-Windows load time are ass

-I don't have to fuck around with needing cracks for specialized software, virtually any good software package is available for free, the only time I pirate is when I play games, even then most good Linux games are open source and free

-Blows Windows out of the water when it comes to programming, no contest

-Less magical shit going on, when something fucks up there's usually a good reason why and it's easy to find out, on Windows you just have to hope the driver/OS developer wasn't a moron

-Telemetry

-Pooinloo ethics (which are objectively inferior to hacker ethics)

-Uses up a lot less space (I'm on a 64GB SSD so this was the killer feature for me, probably should have mentioned this higher up as it really made a massive difference to how I work, Ubuntu takes up like 5GB, Windows took up like 18GB)

-Easier to do virtually anything in Ubuntu compared to Windows, take something simple like full disk encryption.

If you ask me, the strong point of Windows was that shit just werked (usually past Win7 at least), but Ubuntu is basically the same now but better for the reasons I listed.

>38% doesn't mean its ahead of the others
Mathematics not your strong point then

Ubuntu is a pretty good distro for the desktop. What worries me about it is the future direction they're going to take with Unity. Switching to Qt is clearly a good move as Gtk/GNOME3/Red Hat devs are retarded and hostile towards Unity/Canonical. But we don't really need another GNOME3-style rewrite of core apps that leave them with less functionality than before. Look at Windows or OS X: both keep probably decades-old code in their programs, both work fine. Stop reinventing the wheel every 5 years, free software developers.

>Also, distro poll from last week where Ubuntu clearly came out ahead of all distros

I've voted Ubuntu on that poll twice now and I am running Windows 10. lel.

>38% doesn't mean its ahead of the others
>Mathematics not your strong point then

The poll says: most of the people don't use Ubuntu.

>-mir, instead of wayland/weston
I agree with you but Mir is gonna be thrown overboard very soon now, I have it on good authority.

Unity is decent, but you can easily switch it out if you want. I just use it because it works.

Systemd, meh not interested in the politics, again, it works and noticeably better than init.d.

It's still ahead of the others by a long shot, almost double the number of people using it compared to the nearest competitor

Unity is too locked down. You can't put the window buttons on the right side without fucking up with your system for example. Same goes for the icon bar, since 16.04 you can put it at the bottom... Wahou such liberty. Dependencies nightmare exactly like gnome. You can't have a minimal unity without uninstalling core components.

Cool. I am glad I am on Manjaro.

yeah this is what i dont like about ubuntu/unity

i prefer fedora as i can make gnome work how i want. the only real stupid thing with gnome is how it deals with tray icons by default.

Gnome 3 is not modular enough for me.
I don't like the way they handle kernel in fedora, they're way too bloated with useless modules.

>all other distros including Gentoo can fuck off

>a meme distro
>he believes in memes
Back to Sup Forums

dumb kittenposter

this triggers me

>having windows buttons at all
>2016
(jk)