Call for a Mozilla boycott

In the the last two years, we saw the continuous removal of the features we loved, and the addition of useless crap nobody asked for.

Now, the next Linux version of Firefox is going to have fucking DRM binaries to please corporations. It starts with video (it's obvious that Youtube is going to adopt it too), and then audio streams, and then fucking whole webpages. Adblocking will be impossible, and you'll have to pay subscriptions to access your favorite sites while not being able to download and make copies of the content you are paying for.

The Mozilla we once knew is dead. Let's boycott it. Let it die.

pcworld.com/article/3108544/linux/firefox-for-linux-will-soon-support-netflix-and-amazon-videos.html

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/MrAlex94/Waterfox/tree/master/browser/branding/waterfox
wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Extension_Signing
github.com/mozilla/womenandweb/blob/master/source/markdown/resources/teaching-resources.md
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Let's boycott it.
no.

Not just Firefox, but the web in general seems to have been in slow motion decline, a car crash happening in front of your path that is unavoidable.

A liberating, open, free and wondrous invention such as the internet was a net benefit to everyone, but, now it seems the jews are those that will only benefit - again.

pale meme STRONG

So what are the alternatives? I use firefox and thunderbird.

I remember when Firefox 3 came out and how amazing it was. It's hard to hold back the tears.

I wish someone would make a modern fork of Firefox 3

There is no good browser, and Firefox is unfortunately one of the best.
I use Waterfox because the icon is cooler than Firefox, but at the end of the day it's the same shit.

Don't like it? Just disable it.

Then you'd have Firefox. The problem is web standards requiring browsers to add a lot of new features.

You can compile regular Firefox with the Waterfox branding. Just download github.com/MrAlex94/Waterfox/tree/master/browser/branding/waterfox

Then add this to mozconfig
ac_add_options --with-branding=

Seamonkey or Palemoon.

Are there compile time options to disable all the stuff they added recently (extension singing, hello, pocket)?

Instead of boycotting better fork it and make it better, fag. If you can't you dont belong on this board.

> It should be a much more secure solution with better performance, although free-software purists won’t be happy with it. That’s why Mozilla also offers a version of Firefox that doesn’t support this feature.

I see no reason to boycott Firefox unless you are chromefag.

FOSS is all about "Social Justice".

Hello was removed recently, wasn't it? For pocket you'd have to create your own patch (i.e. remove it from source code manually). I don't think it's such a big deal disabling it through about:config, though. If you for some reason need to disable extension signing you can read this page:
wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Extension_Signing

Pretty sure that it has been attempted before senpai

Firefox supports adobe flash which is even worse. The DRM plugin is shit but it's actually a slight improvement over flash which is what was used for this previously.

I don't like any of the solutions but not including the plugin API would just alienate casuals who want to watch netflix.

>the next Linux version of Firefox is going to have fucking DRM binaries to please corporations
It already has, stupid.

Why do special snowflakes have to hijack everything? They're fucking everywhere nowadays, except for things that require physical activity of course.

Is there a repo of patches that remove or substitute things?
Like chrome has a lot a patches that make it less botnety

Mine doesn't

>not using icecat

>we saw the continuous removal of the features we loved
Such as?

>and the addition of useless crap nobody asked for.
All easily disabled

>Now, the next Linux version of Firefox is going to have fucking DRM binaries
Which you can disable

>Adblocking will be impossible
>you'll have to pay subscriptions to access your favorite sites while not being able to download and make copies of the content you are paying for
[Citation needed]

If you boycott firefox in favor of chromium that doesn't let you do 1/5th of the things Firefox allows you to do (about:config) or if you use forks with ancient unpatched security holes maintained by people you know nothing about and furries, you're a cuck who knows fuck all.

fuck off shill

Just use Opera it can do everything(and more) Firefox can do but better.

Fuck off Mozilla shill

> and you'll have to pay subscriptions to access your favorite sites
I told you, dawg. I told you that this would happen if adblockers got too popular.

>Such as?
It's basically a shitty version of chrome now

Otter browser

no one uses firefox anymore, its just a shitty defunct project that sjws inserted themselves into and ruined.

brave browser is where the original firefox creator and creator of javascript is working and its already way better than firefox ever was.

I like firefox but chrome is so much faster for me. But been using FF due to my botnet freedoms or something

>Instead of boycotting better fork it and make it better
Don't fork it, that's what wrong with the whole linux/open source ecosystem.

we already have forks like palemoon, if you have something to offer then help the already existing projects

Vivaldi

They don't update fast enough because one guy always updates it long after the latest ESR comes out. Honestly, i'm reaching a point soon I rather use pale moon than firefox.

expect an announcement soon about mozilla's new anti-cyber violence training courses for women

I'm being completely serious, I work at mozilla.
here's a bit of proof that it's coming:
github.com/mozilla/womenandweb/blob/master/source/markdown/resources/teaching-resources.md

note that the repo is fairly new and mostly empty
it's part of the entire new women and web literacy program that they haven't launched yet.

Who's the dude in the gif?

What is DRM binaries, why is it bad?

I vote no on a boycott. I agree they've slipped a lot. Maybe taken on too many things instead of focusing on keeping the browser current.

Who here uses midori. I use it for Sup Forums with no adblock. It's pretty snappy. I havent' taken it anywhere other than Sup Forums though.

Why does mozilla waste so much money on such crap?

Well, it doesn't matter. When they finish alienating their userbase to cater to SJWs and realise that SJWs don't give a flying fuck and will continue to use chrome they can look at the bankrupt wreck they created and go 'fucking racist sexist pigs'

Fucking finally don't have to download Chrome just to watch shit. Fuck yeah 'Zilla!!

I don't do boycotts but I'll gladly not use their shitty software.

>Mozilla will add support for the “encrypted media extensions” (EME) feature. This is designed to allow services like Netflix and Amazon to deliver videos in HTML5 with some protection against those videos being captured and copied.
wow, it's fucking nothing
move on everyone

Both are shit, work slow and don't play well with any modern website
Palemoon's addon support also took a hit when they moved away from firefox's code

Unfinished with almost no features

Piece of shit based on chromium with a javascript GUI, are you serious?

who /qutebrowser/ in here?

>Such as?
XUL/XPCOM

>Easily disabled
This is the wrong attitude IMO. It's like saying windows 10 is okay to use as long as you spend 10 hours tweaking and modifying it to remove all of the botnet.

Why even put up with that crap when I can use another browser that doesn't have these problems?

not who you replied to, but

and which browser would that be?

I've already boycotted Firefox by installing Chrome

Is IceCat a viable option or what?

I use qutebrowser personally

thanks, i'll keep this name in mind if i dump firefox one day

If they are things like AdBlock, could they make an anti-DRM add-on?

It's open source. Convinced you're right? Fork it and prove it.
Jesus fucking christ.

herewego.png

Breh. I dont own a tv, have never seen his show, and i still know who that is. This anime website is for 18 and up.

I guess it's ok for now, since I never visit Netflix or Amazon video

>paying for movies and series

It comes with addons by defaul its gud

?

Prove what?

Mozilla itself is confirming that it's inserting binary blobs built from closed source code, as plugins.

>>supporting the people who make stuff you like who also rely on your money to keep living
>fucking retards xD

Haven't really followed what's new in browser land, but whats wrong with Vivaldi?

>This isn’t actually new for Firefox. Firefox already supports this feature on Windows and Mac OS X. This feature was added back in Firefox 38.

Which you can disable easily

>Firefox is going to have fucking DRM
Didn't they include some sort of DRM in the earlier (as in: the good old days) versions already? I vaguely remember some shitposting.

Why are you even responding to me? Are you mentally challenged also?

>Why does mozilla waste so much money on such crap?
mainly because they dont earn the money they spent as theyre almost 100% financed by their sponsors.

its easy to waste other peoples money...

sure, just add about:config to chromium

1) you lazy ass.
if something is wrong, change it. make your own.

2) boycott? and use what instead? everything else if shitter.

>All easily disabled
EVERY TIME YOU FUKIN' UPDATE

it's things like these that make me not want to use anything mozilla any more

that's nonsense, just continue to reap the benefits of FOSS, and take what you like, leaving the rest
use icecat/seamonkey/palemoon/etc instead of upstream firefox
you're just being wasteful, avoiding the entirety of firefox just because a few optional components aren't to your liking

>I'm being completely serious, I work at mozilla.

Aren't you afraid that they'll fire you if they find out you post here?

sexist fucks
nothing before was "men only", now they're making a whole bunch of "for women" things

>Mozilla boycott

Feel free to describe the alternatives.

Let me guess ... you're going with Windows 10, right?

Not really, but it's the best alternative.

TREE STYLE TABS ON ANYTHING AND IM FUCKING OFF THIS SHIT!

I've been using FF since 2005. What "beloved" features were removed?

The only gripe I have with Firefox, is the fucking crashing. though Chrome crapola crashes just as much, and I only have a few extensions in Chrome compared to the 60 extensions I have in Firefox.

>Chrome crapola crashes just as much
no it doesn't. not for me any way. firefox does all the time because it's nonsenseweare built by hipsters.
do you think you might be the problem?

This is what enrages me the most.
Where is OUR firefox? the one who gave them recognition in the first place?
FUCK SJW liberals

No, you need the DRM binaries to be able to receive and play video streams from certain websites, and they enable the browser to do it in a way that end users can't capture that video stream and save it as a file.

The alternative to using them is not being able to stream from sites like Netflix or Amazon video.

Whats stopping someone from using a program like fraps to record it?

That's Jon Stewart.

>closed source

Nothing. It'd just be lower quality I think.

I think part of it might be to stop people from streaming to 3rd party programs/apps, but I'm not sure that was entirely possible in the first place.

>slippery slope fallacy

are its forks going to implement this too?

mainly asking about cyberfox/waterfox

I stopped donating to Mozilla and the FSF when they started their "no boys allowed" campaigns.

>implying EME hasen't been on firefox for GNU/Linux for months now
>implying it'll be mamdatory on youtube (it won't, it'll kill the api which is needed to make older Smart TVs capable of using it)
>Implying Debian won't release firefox binaries stripped of EME

All of my wewlad.

I haven't even read the thread but i'm sure there's people bitching about "muh sjw xddd"

If you think all webpages will emplement a DRM systen you're insane. There are just too many web browsers to handle it.

You think people put ads on their self-hosted blogs? No, those aren't a thing anymore. They host blogs on Tumblr. No need in advertising to pay server fees.

The only people buttblasted about ad blocking are retards running streaming sites and software download centers. Maybe reflinks lilke adfly. That's litterally it with the exception of news sites.

there aren't

any obscure browser (eg opera, sleipnir) is now a chrome fork

Think android browsers like dolphin.

I don't even understand what this DRM shit is

Digital Rights Management
It pretty much puts a copyright on media, making it impossible to save what is being displayed in your browser.
In case of youtube that would mean that it would be impossible to download youtube videos. You could only watch them on the website and nowhere else.

This is exactly the problem with the tech industry as a whole. As long as "equality" and "diversity" are more important than quality, all technology will suffer.

I'm nkt a furry, and that browser is several versions outdated to vanilla Firefox. What about GNU/Icecat or Sea Monkey?

FUCK YOU OP

YOU ARE THE CANCER KILLING FREE SOFTWARE

FREE SOFTWARE IS ABOUT SOCIAL JUSTICE AND FREEDOM, NOT NEO NAZI HATRED OF GAYS JEWS BLACKS ETC.

Can this shit actually block screencapping tools?

Nope

>Such as?
Choosing wath site to open in a new tab without some plugin

How about Iridium Browser? Is it any good?

>FREE SOFTWARE IS ABOUT SOCIAL JUSTICE AND FREEDOM

In the future, I hope it gets retconned to become about supporting the culling of sjws

>inventing servo, making chrome work behind the scenes to catch up and surpass after release.

>being boycotted by the most raging Sup Forums faggot.

this.

It can in conjunction with hardware DRM. Intel's Management Engine can block them and you probably have one in your computer already. There's no way to disable it.