/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/Ubuntu-Linux-Toolbox-Commands-Power/dp/1118183525
gnu.org/links/companies.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Pls respond -- something like this?
amazon.co.uk/Ubuntu-Linux-Toolbox-Commands-Power/dp/1118183525

Reminder to reverse engineer Red Star OS so we can have the desktop environment from best Korea.

>open browser
>first you need to hail kim jong kun
>press ok to hail

why not use red star os instead?

is kind of werid accept a botnet with very few users, it became too personal between you and the guy readind your logs

Is there a list of laptops that work with Linux-libre? I'm going to buy a new one and want to make sure that I don't need proprietary stuff to make it work. Should I get a thinkpad, if so which one?

Because it probably phones home. Plus its browsers uses a weird nation-wide LAN instead of regular internet.

Here gnu.org/links/companies.html

Is there any media player with a shuffle setting that can remember what has already played recently? So say you have 100 songs, and you play 20 a day. It will only loop back to the first song after it plays everything, even after you restart the app.

Anyone know how I would go about disabling a systemd service before boot finishes? I enabled lightdm.service and now boot won't complete.

Cntrl Alt Del

>want to try gentoo
>load up vm
>smooth sailing
>emerge gentoo-sources
>unpacking linux-4.4.tar.gz
What the fuck

how do i use X on a remote machine from my computer?

install OpenBSD

>No wifi

that just restarts the booting process

install wifi && install drivers

My drivers are closed source

reverse engineer them

Want to change distro from ubuntu, where do I go? I've heard a lot of people try debian after ubuntu. I'm not that well versed in GNU/Linux but I am hoping to learn with a new distro.

#rekt

I have a job
Also
>No scanner

underage

#burried

I've been dual booting Windows and Linux Mint for about a year now an am switching to Debian w/ Windows (hopefully down the line can get rid of Windows altogether, but that's for another time). Two questions:

1) I'm planning on just destroying the Linux partitions (I have three: filesystem, swap and my primary partition) and then installing Debian in place of where they used to be. Is this fine, or should I leave the partitions on there? I don't plan on using mint in the near future and I have no files on there I haven't backed up to put on the Debian OS.

2) I noticed the Debian live CD doesn't have wireless support. That's fine, as I can get a wired connection to install Debian. But is it pretty easy to get wireless support after that? I didn't have to fuck with that at all with mint, it just werked. If it's just download the drivers that's no problem, but should I anticipate any other issues?

@56145111 and 56145150
At least you tried today

x11 forewarding

How do I make external drives mount automatically to /media under a unique directory?

udisk2 and udev

Why do you want to change from Ubuntu? It will be easier to recommend based on that

Most wireless drivers can be installed from the nonfree repos later
What is your wireless device?

So a couple weeks ago I installed Ubuntu on a partition to try Linux for the first time. I've really liked it, and my Windows partition is screwed up, so I was thinking of just getting rid of Win10 for good. Now my question:

Is there any way of formatting the Windows partition and make it a "data" partition for Ubuntu? All of this without losing anything on the linux part of course.

Can I just format the win10 partition as ext3/ext4 from ubuntu?

Sorry I'm a n00b :(

Post $lsblk

systemd.unit=multi-user.target to the kernel parameters

Yes, you can use gparted and just format the windows partition to ext4

>make it a "data" partition for Ubuntu
What do you mean, exactly?

thanks fampai

pic related
So store the pics,docs,etc in that one and leave the current one for the os and program files. Is that reasonable?

Yes, you can format a partition to ext3/ext4 using fdisk or parted.

Then you have to edit /etc/fstab and add that partition that you formatted (e.g. /dev/sda1) to mount it automatically on boot.
The line should probably look like:
#Append this line to /etc/fstab
/dev/sda1 /data ext4 defaults 0 1

Otherwise, you would have to mount it manually every time you turn on your computer with 'mount /dev/sda1 /data'

man fdisk
man fstab
man mount
^ read these in order to figure how they all work.

Assuming your windows is in /dev/sda1
$sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1
$mkdir ~/data/ && mount /dev/sda1

Or if you want GUI use Gparted

How hard is it to setup a proper/working KVM Windows guest? I want to switch to GNU/Linux but I don't want to lose my capability of playing gaymes.

>Yes, you can format a partition to ext3/ext4 using fdisk or parted.
Correction: you format partitions with 'mkfs' not 'fdisk'.
Run mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1 to format /dev/sda1 as ext4.

Oh after that see what said.
So basically
$sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1
$mkdir ~/data/
$sudo echo "/dev/sda1 /home//data ext4 defaults 0 1
" >> /etc/fstab

i am loving Red Star OS ngl

Thanks bros :3

Look for players which have a "consume" like mode. I knot that mpd (or its clients, I don't know who exposes that feature) do have that.

You're an idiot. Anything that you can "learn" on Debian can be learned on Ubuntu or any other distribution. The only thing specific to a distribution which applies to your "learning" case are package managers and switching distributions to "learn" to use a package manager is ridiculous; something only a full blown idiot would do.

That's not what shuffle means

Meant for

If you want to learn, use Slackware.

Yes it is. Shuffle just means a randomized list. The problem most of the time is the list gets deleted whenever the program closes.

Which generally useful skill is Slackware going to teach you that any other distribution can't?

I have unbound and dnscrypt setup, but im having a hard time figuring where to put squid in to the mix, and how to

A knowledge of how Linux works in general. Which may or may not be useful for you, but in most other distributions (including Arch and Gentoo) you will only learn how to use this particular distribution.

>already played recently
Then it would not be a shuffle

>randomized list
It does not make a secret list when you press shuffle mode, it indexes and scans the libary each time you request the next song.

How is Slackware going to teach you about how a kernel works? Reading the kernel's source and researching how kernels work in general will teach you that.

I installed Mint 18 Cinnamon on my laptop from a USB, but it will only boot in recovery mode with software rendering. Hardware acceleration worked when using it live from the USB. If I boot in normal mode it just gives a black screen forever.

What is the best distro for my small home server where need to run apache, php, mysql and live tv recording (it's also htpc)

gentoo

Just downloaded i3gaps to my Arch and I don't know how to make it my default wm. What do?

read the arch wiki

>home server
Any distro

>tfw I don't understand SSH

>want to try gentoo
>vm
Ya blew it.

why would i put a rogue distro over my currently installed one?
Its all ready throwing a bitch fit with everything i tell it to do, following the wiki

That's stable, learn how to use masks

There is a book for that.

Couldn't find anything

Depends on what you want.

If you want the absolute best example of Keep It Simple Stupid - Linux, then I would suggest Slackware.

If you want to take inordinate amounts of time learning odds and ends to get the absolute most performance and utility out of your hardware: Gentoo.

If you want to dick-wave autistically while having an unstable shit system with regular breakage that's useful for nothing but time-sinks between tendies and anime: Arch.

Gentoo and build your own kernel minimal

You clearly are not ready to install Gentoo. Come back when you have a clue newfriend.

>If you want to dick-wave autistically while having an unstable shit system with regular breakage that's useful for nothing but time-sinks between tendies and anime: Arch.

HereWeGo.gif

Right, so i should be a fucking paid expert using a distro i have never used, and features within it that are different

kill your fucking self faggot

What?

Is there any disadvantages to using Kali as a main OS? I'll be dual booting Windows (for muh games) and GNU/Linux (for pretty much everything else) and since I do some pentesting related stuff as a hobby I was wondering whether I should just use it as my main OS rather than running it in a VM all the time.

Stay mad plebbit.

So I should sell my macbook pro and buy a thinkpad?

I found the solution! The problem was that I am using 2 monitors and for some reason it wanted to disable the first one where it actually shows the login screen. So I had to log in navigating the login menu blindly with hotkeys. After having logged in I could change the display settings to be like they should.

Banshee.
Add songs to your Play Queue, shuffle it, it randomizes the order, but doesn't play ANY file twice until the entire queue has been played. It remembers which songs you've played from the queue even if you quit the program.

How do I use this and have it equally as God-tier as it was on Windows?

I'm installing my first real Linux (cinnamon) because windows 7 is not cooperating. Can someone just assure me this hipster OS has a proper answer to MPC ? The main use of the computer it's going on is to play videos.

Bit of a retard question coming from someone who should know how to use linux by now, but I want to install lubuntu due only to the fact that it seems to be the only distro with documented support for the hardware I have. And yes, I know, shitbuntu etc etc.

My question is, is there a light installation of the distro out there? I absolutly HATE dealing with all the bloat that comes with the thing. For awhile I was installing debian via netinstall without an internet connection, and then just adding a WM and going from there since its nice a barebones. Is there a way to do this with lubuntu (or any buntu fork)? I wouldn't even mind it coming with a WM and utils, its just the bloated software I can't stand.

Thanks in advance anons

>decide to try out linux
>run installation
>"failed to install system"
woah, how is anyone supposed to take seriously an OS which can't even install itself properly?

mpv will be your savior my child. I adore it.

I really hope this is bait. I have the mental capacity of a child and even I can do it.
I promise you that in the time it's taken me to respond, you've realized that it was an error on your part.

Yo guys what up, my laptop is running a Linux OS and i forgot the logon password

yall know how to get past it? thanks

You can try booting from a livecd, mounting the hard disk, retrieving the shadow file and running a password cracker on it.

How do I fully uninstall grub boot loader?

I tried installing Debian and it got fucked up. Now when I boot up my computer I'm greeted with a "minimalist bash-like interface" for grub that doesn't actually boot anything. I can still boot into Windows by mashing F12 on startup which is fine, but I'd really like to remove grub for now. I plan on trying to install Linux again today, but I want the faulty grub gone.

install *BSD

I'm not a masochist, so no.

Your reasoning is invalid. You should rethink.

Weird question but does it have pause on screen click ?

I reason to myself I don't like self harm/torture. Therefore I will not do what you say and install BSD.

ubuntu has a netinstall/minimal install I believe.

So much faggotry today.

Your premise is wrong. You should probably rethink about that.

No it's not, you're wrong.

Get a netinstall then track down the bare minimum packages you want. It's not hard. There are guides aplenty if you duckduckgo it.

Okay.