Zen Performance Demo vs Intel’s $1000 Broadwell-E i7 6900X

youtube.com/watch?v=CvwbtAHwILA

>wccftech.com/amd-zen-cpus-outperform-intels-highend-broadwelle-architecture-am4-platform-detailed/

it's legit? It's not a scam like the rx480 cf?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/FPiednoel/status/766334621550161920
twitter.com/FPiednoel/status/766346666433576961
twitter.com/AMD/status/766408132860010496?lang=en
promotions.newegg.com/msi/16-5275/index.html?cm_sp=Homepage-Top2016-_-P2_msi/16-5275-_-http://promotions.newegg.com/msi/16-5275/1920x360.jpg&icid=366393
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=35&v=QiwfZApg9JY
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAB714894154&ignorebbr=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's over, intel is finished.

Since it's all an internal AMD demo, take it with a grain of salt, but I believe it. Intel is stagnant and AMD had a legendary engineer for ZEN and is now under good management. Two node jumps delivering that much more performance isn't exactly hard to believe.

I'm still waiting for independent reviews, but even if it is a little less than what they have in this benchmark, I'm sold. The chips will be cheaper and perform well, and the boards will do exactly the same fucking shit as Intel X boards and be half the fucking price. I'm more hyped for that to be honest.

this

I'm a massive amd fan, but only an idiot would take a press release at face value.

twitter.com/FPiednoel/status/766334621550161920
twitter.com/FPiednoel/status/766346666433576961

AYYMD is cheating in Blender & got busted

>tfw I haven't replaced my 2500k yet
I can only wish the best of luck to AMD, I'm tired of seeing all these overpriced cpu for only 5-10% difference.

DELETE THIS RIGHT NOW

>Two node jumps delivering that much more performance isn't exactly hard to believe.
So much this.

I'm going to wait until after the release and further benchmarks are done to see if I want to buy a Zen CPU.

But honestly I would be happy if AMD could match Intel's mid range for a better price. Would really start some shit up.

How much? $2000?

twitter.com/AMD/status/766408132860010496?lang=en

You'd see Intel pricedrops, but they're at the point where RnD is getting absurd, even for them. AMD will catch up eventually just by the nature of the physical limits of silicon.

I'll monitor it at the very least. Fuck what some twitter fag says, and fuck press releases. Reserving judgement for real world benchmarks and reviews.

Do you know how to code? There's literally nothing wrong with it. Is he really sperging about the name of the variable?

Now, I'm not that advanced at programming or anything, but isn't it basically just checking the vendor ID and cache size?

What's the problem here? I don't see any code that has it do anything significantly different depending on vendor like Intel's compilers used to do.

beat my e8400 famalam.

>implying this sort of practice is uncommon.

His argument is that it basically gimps the Intel chip by recompiling for Zen, making it more focused and efficient for AMD then Intel. He's sperging out because he doesn't understand that its not an Intel architecture vs AMD architecture comparison, it's an IPC comparison. Emphasizing that they have not only matched Intel but its close enlugh that they may have surpassed them.

I really hope that isn't their highest end cpu

Blender is open source I'm pretty sure they weren't really hiding anything from the beginning and someone was probably making a joke

It's not performance demo, but an IPC demo. Big difference, user.

>it's legit? It's not a scam like the rx480 cf?
proof of it being scam? Official benchmarks are always done in a safe way, they just cherry pick them really really well.
They are not stupid, they know a real lie could cost them in court.

It isn't this is just a demo of IPC. Rumor mill has high end at either 6 or 8 cores, possibly higher.

You guys are like fucking drones, you don't even know what you're reading.

>A chip which isnt going to come out this year outperforms a chip which already is
>in tests which are unable to be reproduced by anyone else

gib benchmarkds

>Trusting the same website that claimed the 480 will compete with the 480, when it can barely compete with the cut down 1060.

Yeah, it'll probably perform about as well as a sandy lake i3

Marketing tests are always cherry picked

but at the very least zen should be decent competitive

I'm sure it'll be a whole 5-10% faster than Bulldozer

how dare they query the cache size

>they use Blender as a demo
>they took YEARS to fix their buggy OpenCL compiler that made using Cycles on an AMD GPU impossible
I'm mad.

Still pretty hyped for Zen.

Does this mean I can use amd unironically and non budget

>somehow my 5930K is only 5-to-10% faster than your 2500K

If you're a cuck. AMD processors always had shit memory controllers. I doubt zen can even run 2666 ddr4.

What GPU was that even running with?

Well looks like I'll be the average consumer and buy what's better, got nvidia is such a fuck company but their products are just better by most standards, same with Intel

retard

keepk cryin bithc nigga

Garbage movie

>always had shit controllers
And AMD pioneered multi level chip caching
They have a new chip interconnect which is state of the art

You say that example, but RX480 prices are inflated due to high demand and still selling at nearly the same rate as 1060

Anyways I'm more excited to see after Zen and Vega, are those monster HPC APUs a reality or not?
HBM2 on mobile chips in Q4'17/Q1'18 would be interesting but add 3-5w to the package alone, plus we have seen P11 and know how it would perform.
etc.etc.

>RX480 prices are inflated due to high demand

NEIN

>RX480 prices are inflated due to buttcoin miners
ftfy

Wew lad.

I hope its true.
would be interesting seeing what Intel does if AMD actually is successful.

It's inflated because amd is fucking retarded.

>hey guys let's make an inferior product and price it the same because we need to remove our poorfag stigma
>yes this plan will indubitably defecate on the competition

>Intel releases overpriced Broadwell-E which barely outperforms Skylake in certain non-gaming applications
>AyyMD btfos Broadwell-E
it's over anons, Intel is done

>AMD processors always had shit memory controllers
lol retard

ONLY ON AMAZON/EBAY AND OTHER MEME WEBSITE

Name one retail amd cpu that supports ddr4

AMD did nothing wrong with the 480

Summit Ridge

2.1ghz 1060trash vs 1.2mhz 480

480 destroys 1060 in dx12 and dx11 doesnt matter because fps is high enough for everything.

nvidia ADD MOAR MHZ SO WE STAY IN THE GAME LELELELEKEKEK

So what's stopping me from buying 4 titans

>average AMD fanboy

...with a lower power draw...

Because people care about a few watts? Are you retarded?

>amdoomed

promotions.newegg.com/msi/16-5275/index.html?cm_sp=Homepage-Top2016-_-P2_msi/16-5275-_-http://promotions.newegg.com/msi/16-5275/1920x360.jpg&icid=366393

Why the hell you need 14nm if it's still a housefire...

DEL

BTFO

>$5000
no thanks

People like slim gayming laptops

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=35&v=QiwfZApg9JY

Demo vs a downclocked Intel cpu.

Even if it really gets the entire 40 percent gain, that still won't let it catch current intels in single core, let alone next year's Intel models.

Post your battlestation

it doesn't matter, if amd can offer something to the market that is within 10% of intels newest at 1/4th the cost then intel is finished and bankrupt.

>amd's master plan is to create a shitty product and manufacture it for 1/4 the price, a feat that a billion dollar company like Intel cannot do

Do you have a brain

It's beating Broadwell IPC.

The only differentiator is top end Broadwell-e has 10 cores. And a 6900K has a 3.2Ghz Base clock. The engineering sample on Zen had a boost clock of 3.2Ghz. And Broadwell has a TDP of 140W. Zen has a TDP of 95W.

The only thing they can do to fuck this up at this point, is to have such shitty clock speeds that it won't match Broadwell at all. And given what we have seen from the Samsung 14nm LPP in their GPUs it is entirely possible.

But why :c

gtx770
8gb
256 evo

Are you fucking stupid? Clockspeed wasn't what they were after.

i want it to be true so the goddamn prices can dip lower and force them to actually care.

This.
If this thing is in any way competitive and if AMD starts selling these for ~30% cheaper, then Jewtel has to answer it by practically lowering all of their prices a whole lot.

>Intel cannot do
Do you have a brain or do you simply not understand what a monopoly is?

>Rumor mill has high end at either 6 or 8 cores,

Zen is built around 4 core clusters. If there's a 6 core model, it'll be a fused off binning, like some of the Broadwell-E chips.

There are only 4 and 8 core base variants announced at present though.

>AMD offers an alternative to i7 that has everything you need but Nvidia still has better GPUs

its going to be like the days of my Phenom II/GTX 460 build again
who gonna go AMD+Nvidia?

I might go AMD + AMD just because of this monitor newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAB714894154&ignorebbr=1
I really dislike Nvidia's actions. If they went open, I wouldn't mind them at all.

Zen is great and all, but that 32 core monster though. Holy fucking shit.

While we are waiting for Zen we may as well see how Vega turns out before deciding.

>MOAR CORES
>EVEN MOAR CORES

Funnily enough, Nvidia might actually be forced to implement VESA adaptive sync features in the near future, considering the console upgrades are probably going to be receiving freesync and Intel might implement it for their iGPUs.

Memes aside, it would be fantastic for encoding.

This. Should had used an industry standard PC benchmark tool like SYSmark® 2014.

> LEGENDARY ENGINEER
JIM FUCKING KELLER IS FAR BEYOND THE PUNY LEVEL OF LEGEND

It will win in the en. The problem is that Nvidia isn't caving yet and people still eat up the gsync shit.

>AMDisBETTER_

Open standards always win in the end. That's why openGL exists everywhere and 99% of things.. while DirectX only works on xshit and shitdows

as time goes on and no new leaks happening the more i doubt we'll see vega in 2016 though.
the latest teaser was an AMD employee showing the factory where vega was being manufactured, what did it mean? no one knows.
i wanted to at least see some performance comparisons before deciding on buying a freesync or gsync monitor this black friday.

>people eat up gsync
seriously? theres only like 10 Gsync monitors and theyre all overpriced as hell. I dont think anyone aside from hardcore "professional" gaymurs who gotta have 32 gb ram, intel extreme, and gtx 1999 really care

All the manufacturers are making Freesync instead, and I switched to AMD because of them

>believing tech demos

Bulldozer hype

And the cruel irony of AMD's open source movement is how absolutely abysmal their cards are at OpenGL while they're pretty much *the* brand for DX12 gaming

Shit won't probably last long. They have 2017 for that until Volta comes out. They can always hope they finally ditch Maxwell and build up another Fermi.

Well its not like we have much chance of getting our hands on Zen before 2017 anyways. They are fully saying they don't expect volume production until next year.

So chances are we will get Zen and Vega pretty close to each other.

I want to believe the shitwrecker would only put his name on a product that wrecks shit, not a product that is shit.

VULLKAN

Nothing uses it
Shit tons of stuff uses OpenGL

So, let's start by playing devil's advocate.

What sort of things did/could have AMD done to this Blender rendering demo to give Intel an edge?

The only thing I can think of is putting a better GPU in the AMD system or use a $1000 Naples Zen chip.

>Who cares if Windows 10 is standard now. If AMD doesn't make their cards run flawlessly on Windows 95, it means they're bad and devote no resources to engineering.

WHAT IS VULKAN, YOU FAGGOT

You forgot your pic.

>AMD stock at 7.04 per share
>tfw you could have quadrupled your investment, but not only were you poor, you never took the risk
How the fuck could I have predicted China? I knew it would climb, but not like this. Not like this.

More likely than not the Zen CPU was using AVX2 instructions to render the scene and the Intel CPU was forced to use legacy x87 instructions. It slows down one CPU massively but still fits under the '''specs''' AMD showed in their demo and there technically isn't a lie :^).

Old software, by nature, is less demanding because it is old. It's not being updated, and it's slowly being outpaced (brute forced) by more powerful hardware.

AMD is putting money in Vulkan, which is the future of demanding graphical applications across the board. Just look at how much better Doom gets when you switch to Vulkan. No, not 10%. Not 20%. We're talking 3x the performance for the EXACT. SAME. FUCKING. HARDWARE.

Vulkan is the future, and anyone who says otherwise either works for Microsoft, or needs to try and steer the dwindling crowd back to OpenGL, which was a failure the second the 2.0 standard was finalized.

>Windows 10
>Standard
I guess it is, whether you like it or not.

but seriously Pajeet, im not going to install win10. Stop asking.

Oh, so AMD is doing to their demos exactly what Intel does with their compiler to real-world consumers.