/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Pretty much.
I love the Amphibia, though.
I'll probably sell/trade the Citizen soon to help fund some kinda' Seiko. Really like the SARX, SARB, SARG007, and Turtle. The SBPY133 is sweet, too, but hard to find.

Go for the regular display. From what I've heard, the negative one is a bitch to read in harsh light. Also, the negative one just looks kinda gay.

Sure, they look similar, but I'd hardly call it a clone. The similarities end at the generally rectangular shape and black color. On the Fossil, there's no date indicator, the crown is grooved and tapers, the crystal and case are angled at the top and bottom, the bracelet isn't at all flush with the case, and the hands and indices are entirely different.

>/wt/ circlejerk over the SKX
>only $100 more
>glorious German engineering made in Switzerland
>sapphire crystal with AR coating
>300m WR tested unlike non-tested like Seiko POS Alpinist series or their divers
>ETA 2824 movement which is found in Tudors and overpriced Sinn watches
>$320 now with free shipping!

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Sup Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

Great, now we have false flag shills too. Stein haters are getting desperate. I wasn't planning on getting one, but I might just buy one now just to upset our resident mememasters.

I already got one, don't listen to the haters. Let them spend more on Hamilton, Sinnshit or Tag. These fools can't even afford a Rolex but think their shit is so good. When Steinhart has better quality metal and movements.

The 2824 in your Steinhart is not found in Tudor or Sinn watches.

Steinhart Ocean 1's are trading at $400-500, and cost 380 Euroes from source, not including shipping.

That's the VAT pricing, people here in the US is exempt. And shipping is $30, it was free earlier when they updated the website. So total is like $350 for the Ocean one.

>The ETA 2824 is not found in Sinn watches
Okay I guess Sinn uses Miyota or some Hong Kong piece of shit movement which is worst. And yes the older BB uses ETA 2824. I highly doubt you know anything about watches if you think Sinn is better than Steinhart.

>Steinhart has better quality metal and movements
They use Elabore movements, which are the polished turds of ETA's offerings.

They also use 316L stainless, by no means a bad choice, but Sinn make far better steel, they're probably the current leaders in case technology for scratch resistance and resistance to moisture ingress.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Sinn uses the exact same Elabore movements, in their watches.

>Okay I guess Sinn uses Miyota or some Hong Kong piece of shit movement which is worst
No, they buy in Top or Chronometre-grade ETA movements, and some of them they heavily modify.

Their Diapal line all have lubricant-free escapements, and they modify 7750's with functions like central-counting minutes, and 24-hour subdials.

>muh civic engine is heavily modified my car is not a regular civic
This is you. ETA 2824 is still an ETA 2824.

For all you poor fags... This Curren Field Watch looks slick as fuck and is less than $20 bucks. Throw on a Nato and you can't get a better deal than this being a poor fag.

You do know that trucks use de-tuned mustang engines, right?

You know the difference between a standard ETA-2824, and one with a lubricant-free escapement kept in a non-humid environment is? About 4x the service interval, and a huge decrease in amplitude variation during those intervals.

It doesn't matter if the movements use the same mechanical systems, it's how well those systems function which matters.

>field watch
>not pressure rated to at least 10bar

If you can't swim in it, or you can't dress formally in it, you may as well throw money down the toilet.

I honestly don't give a fuck, everyone modifys the ETA 2824, INCLUDING STEINHART.

In a regular pool it's held up for me, would you go diving with it no. It's literally $15 bucks on Amazon. Can't go wrong with this beater user, I have like 4 beaters just for this reason. It's so cheap so who gives a fuck...

OK, what modifications do Steinhart perform, what are the modifications supposed to do, and how much to they charge for the watches with those modifications?

Yes, you can go wrong with it. You spent time wearing it, time you could have spent wearing something nicer.

Entirely your decision, but I like to spend my time wearing watches I like. I wouldn't enjoy wearing a POS Chinese-made quartz, so it makes no sense for me to spend any amount for the privilege.

what would happen if you stopped making these threads

Red in the chapter ring from minutes 36-44.
Why?

He'd have no threads of his own to tripfag.

If your budget is really $20 which is just downright ridiculous for any adult, you should only be looking at Casio and Timex.

I was reading through the last thread, are people really this retarded that they can't recognize an inverse troll now?

That wasn't a Steinshill, it was someone mocking them.

So i am guessing there are some screws under that shroud that hold it centred and they have come loose, causing a "wobblystein"

That's not my budget, I have a Citizen Nighthawk which I like the most. I have a Sistem51 cuz I do dig the Swatch movement...that ETA, but for a burner like I said who gives a fuck

That's when dive times matter most in a 10ft pool.

Sup. Been away for a while ever since my SKX013 broke and my Pebble watch arrived.
Nowdays i'm just stuck with the Orient Mako and the Pebble but i feel like getting a new watch.
Well, actually a vintage one. I'm looking at cheap stuff, what are some interesting brands to look at? I know about Mido on the poorfag vintage tier but what else?

Listen here, kiddo. That thing you posted is a waste of money. You offered that watch as an option for poorfags. They should give the MOST fucks about every dollar they spend and likely pride function over form. Pertaining to you target audience, your suggestion is simply inferior to any Casio or Timex. Pic related is $14.
Makes sense

Or should i just settle for this?
Has a great price and i like the looks, though i prefer two-subdial chronos like another vintage Seiko an user had (i've been out for months, sorry)

Sex/10

Is this a "Yes buy this"?

How much?

150 USD

Sure, I'd do it if it looks good, mechanically.

By god. Grasping for those straws now eh shill?

Let me give you some advice.
Educate yourself.

As of the moment you just seem like a shitty troll.

>316L is better than Sinn Steel
316L is the base standard for cases, nothing special about it, but it's not some melted down pepsi cans either.

>Same movements
Same range, very different in practice.
2824-2 Elaboré will manage +/-7 seconds a day average.
2824-2 Top, +/-5 seconds average a day.
Chronometer. Which says it all for it's daily accuracy, within +/-2 seconds.

The only thing that remains the same with these movements is the layout of them, they all have varying quality components resulting in such margins between grades.

>Attacking Seiko so violently
Seiko is one of, if not the best loved watch brand in the world, and that doesn't change here. They make good watches, and they mark them correctly.

>Sinn
>NUGGHH THEY'RE CHINESE WATCHES GOYS, NOT GLORIOUS GERMAN!
>WHAT'S THAT, YOU SPENT 2 SECONDS GOOGLING AND FOUND OUT THEY'RE GERMAN? FUCKING SINNSHIT SHILL
This is you.

And for the love of fucking god, stop telling people to buy a Steinhart that is nearly twice of what they're looking to spend already.
And SKX can be had for £180, an OVM will run you £315. Stop already. You're pathetic kid.

>I honestly don't give a fuck
Then why keep going

>Steinhart modifies their ETA movements
Then why does my OVM have a date wheel, and function, yet it will never be seen because it's behind the dial.

Hows your plebble? I just bought one myself
Any cool things to do with the thing?

Sup /wt/,
Im looking for a watch in the 800-900 euro pricerange. Its for my 21st birthday so I want something that's classical and which I will still be able to wear in ~20 years.

Was looking at Hamiltons today (pic related) and at some frederique constant. What would you guys recommend? Also, should I buy at a jeweller or some other place? Very inexperienced with buying watches!

Don't buy a watch

Hamilton, Tissot, Long ones, Tag Heuer, and Frederique Constant are all complete pleb catcher brands that exist to sucker people who know nothing about watches out of their money.

I'd pretty much avoid any watch you can find in a local jewelry store in that price range and would only consider JDM Seiko's or a watch from a micro brand.

*Longines, fucking phone.

My twin penis just arrive today

The movement

Alright, thanks! Anything specific you would recommend?

Ew there's a battery in there

Nice money sink.

Don't listen to /wt/.
It's just a huge Seiko and Russia circlejerk.
Buy whatever you think looks good, and is an established brand.

Just for the record, I think looks like shit.

>battery
>plastic movement holder
Absolutely disgusting.

R8?

What matters is if you like it.
Doesn't matter if others like it.

>Just for the record, I think looks like shit.
Was MY opinion. MY opinion shouldn't matter to you.

That watch is better in my opinion, but I'm not a fan of having many complications on a watch, if you only have one decent watch.
Then I'd go for something more neutral and clean.

Fair point, aestethic wise I agree Im just more phishing to see some other options since Im so inexperienced in regards to watches. So if you could post some of your favs Id love to see them

m8, Hamilton have a day-date ETA-based automatic movement with an 80-hour power reserve.

Even pleb brands have their gems.

>So if you could post some of your favs Id love to see them
Favs as in grails, or favs as in some of my favorites among my own?

Favs of yours that you either own or want. Preferably in the 1k usd pricerange.

Minimum 2 Time Zones/GMT
Chronograph
Date Display
Around 38mm
Automatic

Does such a watch exist?

>Favs of yours that you either own or want. Preferably in the 1k usd pricerange.
I'm a big fan of Maison Celadon.
Pic courtesy of "Im Da Lawyer Yo", or whatever he goes by now.

Oh, you mean the one that's an ETA 2824 with its best rate lowered to 21,600 bph, an overpowered mainspring that put too much torque on the movement, a bunch of parts replaced with cheap plastic, and a plastic escapement that cannot be regulated once it leaves the factory?

It's basically a Swatch Sistema 51 disposable movement in a watch you pay several hundred dollars for, you inveterate horological pleb.

Woops, this is the peacock.

No, you'll have to compromise somewhere. You'll have to go bigger if you want all the features or keep the smaller size and lose some of those features.

IIRC, it's a dual-barrel arrangement.

Okay.

This is probably frowned upon in this thread, but I bought a watch from China for 30 bucks. It arrived and I really liked. However, it behaves a bit strange.
In the first week it would lose about 30 seconds of time a day, to the point that I was going to return it. However, in the second week I tuned it to time and left it on my table for a few days and it hasn't lose or gained a single second. Is this normal? I don't think it has anything to do with being left on the desk, it lost time before when I just left it alone to test its accuracy.

Current selection. My everyday is my Tudor, currently thinking of selling my Rolex as I never really use it.

I would be willing to comprise on the chronograph

There's no 2824 chronometre, is there?

Used Nomos.

The watch you posted is absolutely haram, and actually will put you on terror watch lists literally.

Nah, you're thinking of this.

>borealis
Hows the quality on that? I wouldn't mind getting one of these myself. Interesting watch for me since it has Seiko style bezel sheath and vintage Vostok style hands.

What's the bottom left and top right from the box?

Yes.

I like how this fag has a Rolex and a weekender in the same box.

It's excellent.
I really can't think of a bad thing to say about it aside from the bezel being a bit stiff for my liking. It's a nice and heavy piece. Wonderful bracelet, brilliant clasp, beautiful domed sapphire, great lume, nice accuracy.

Personally, I think those bezel sheaths are goofy.
I do like the hand style, though, and you can pick up a Neptune for $150.

Looks damn nice. All these basement dwellers with their negative opinions. It's a quality seiko movement. A lot of mechanical watches have plastic brackets as well.

The ticking sound is incredibly satisfying. I have to press it to my ear to hear it.

I literally felt sick in my stomach
nice job user

You should get that check out. Also I accidentally satan'd.

God I hate skeleton watches. They all look terrible.

Im an automatic watch. I cant run very accurately or very long. And if you wear me people will think you are gay

Aww its babbus first mechanical

Indeed. I think it's pretty neat. I'll never spend 4 digits on a watch... I didn't even spend 3 on this one lol.

But senpai you could run forever if you only had someone to move you

Looks like a great score. That style of bracelet is very comfortable.

>slick as fuck
Are we looking at the same watch?

Why is the F-91W so cute?

idk. thinking about buying one myself just cause they are so cheap. I feel like everyone should have one.

Same. I wondering if should have bought one instead of my Pulsar.

The PW-3001 is enormously better than an F-91W though

But half the point of the 91 is how ridiculously cheap it is.

Would like good with my very expensive collection :DD

casio makes shitload of watches
so you can basicly put evri hipster on it

>his watching doesn't hum
aahahah

I'm not a fine man, Sup Forums. This is just me being honest.

But I need a watch, and I can get this one at a discount.

What do you think?

g shocks are an acquired taste. Also, you won't be satisfied with just one.

oh snap they make ones that hum? well got dang im gonna have to collect all the watch sounds!

every gshock is a good watch. they literally don't make a bad one. just pick the one you like the look of the most and can afford.

Most of the time if you found one you like the look of but cant afford it, they probably make a similar looking version minus a certain feature for much cheaper.

Im trying to find a leather Zulu strap in 18mm(im in the US) preferably in natural color. I really cant find anything close from a reputable page, anybody got any suggestions? Im looking for the 5 ring version.