/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp

Other urls found in this thread:

linlap.com/asus_zenbook_ux21e
chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Building_Chocolate_Doom_on_Gentoo
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/repos.conf
github.com/Antergos/Cnchi/issues/326
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ubuntu Cinnamon/Systemd/Wayland master race reporting in :^)

I want to switch to gentoo/linkek, but all the ubuntu flavors I tried (xfce, kde, unity, gnome) look ugly as piss. Are there any ok looking Distros that aren't buggy?

Why can't I boot netinstall Debian from usb stick on an old Asus netbook? It stuck after the boot screen only "_" blinking what the fuck linux...

Themes are distro independant and finding your favourite theme is a DIY thing

Go install Ubuntu mini

>Go install Ubuntu mini
I don't want Ubuntu though.

I have an AMD 6750M in a MacBook Pro 15 Late 2011 (I know). I want to learn how to do more than surf the Internet and pirate music, so I'm getting my feet wet with GNOME Desktop on Ubuntu 16.04 (like real noob, still working on understanding apt and repositories). Here's my dilemma:

In order to boot past a blank purple screen, I had to edit /boot/grub/custom.cfg to include this bit which I just found randomly when googling:

outb 0x728 1
outb 0x710 2
outb 0x740 2
outb 0x750 0

Previously, I was booting in recovery mode and typing this in every time.

Anyway, this solution still seems like a bandaid just to get things running. (I have also looked into flgrx, but cant seem to get that working) I'm unable to use dual monitors currently, and i think it's a symptom of my issue. What can I do to make my OS play nice with AMD?

tl;dr Please help make 2011 MacBook AMD shit work with Ubuntu 16.04

Have you tried other distros or is it Ubuntu problem only?
Normally you don't have to mess with grub unless you are dualbooting or anything in Macs

Just saying.

You generated quite a wonderful meme there

Shills like you and make a lot of memes yourselves.

Go shill and harass people somewhere else. If people don't want systemd, suck it.

>If people don't want systemd
What if they do?

Guys is $200 a good deal on an used UX21e?

I am Tell me 1 (ONE) good reason why I should bother with a different init than the one I am using

I am this guy again. The shilling and harassment from sytemd trolls has to stop.

We don't trust RedHat devs to have good intentions and don't want to use systemd. Yet we suffer from trolls like This cancer is breaking the community.

Respond to I am curious

linlap.com/asus_zenbook_ux21e

You are baiting, you won't stop. I've seen how threads are derailed because of trolls like you.

Don't bother on writing back, I won't reply.

What trolls? Some newcomer installs Ubuntu and has to remove systemd just because some NEET online told him to?

>baiting
I am genuinely curious. You are not going to reply because you don't have a proper reason to give

Why does he have to justify it to you for his opinion to be valid?

>he
I*

Since you are the one who claimed, the burden of proof is onto you

from a user perspective, you don't really notice the difference between systemd and any other init system.
systemd is a complete mess crammed into pid 1, however.
this is pretty bad if you're not a desktop user who might be able to suck it up if the whole system crashes, but a server sysadmin, where money is at stake if your init crashes and fucks the uptime.

I don't blame you for using systemd, since most distros come with it preinstalled and changing init systems is a pain in the arse unless you REALLY know what you're doing.
It sucks that it's so widespread though.

is it possible to dd only system files and exclude everything else?

>didn't notice new IP

Any good read / book / online about security in Linux ?

>from a user perspective, you don't really notice the difference between systemd and any other init system.
Good start
>systemd is a complete mess crammed into pid 1, however.
>this is pretty bad if you're not a desktop user
I am a desktop user, I run Linux exclusively. I don't run windows
>if your init crashes
Other inits are crash proof?
>I don't blame you for using systemd, since most distros come with it preinstalled and changing init systems is a pain in the arse unless you REALLY know what you're doing.
Nice that we agree in some points

I know the trick too

>I know the trick too
Sure bud. Whoever you think I am the point remains.

Just posting to say pic fukken saved

Ever since I switched to manjaro I've had ridicioulous fan noise even though my cpu isn't even warm. How do I fix this?

More info needed.
kernel, DE, hardware etc.

post inxi -Fz (make sure you installed recommended packages)

System: Host: Magi-07 Kernel: 4.4.13-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.6.4 Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A97 R2.0 v: Rev 1.xx
Bios: American Megatrends v: 1302 date: 11/14/2012
CPU: Octa core AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core (-MCP-) cache: 16384 KB
clock speeds: max: 4000 MHz 1: 1400 MHz 2: 1400 MHz 3: 2100 MHz
4: 1400 MHz 5: 2100 MHz 6: 1400 MHz 7: 2100 MHz 8: 1400 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Juniper XT [Radeon HD 6770]
Display Server: X.Org 1.17.4 driver: radeon
Resolution: [email protected], [email protected]
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD JUNIPER (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.0)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.2
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Juniper HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5700 Series]
driver: snd_hda_intel
Card-2 C-Media CMI8788 [Oxygen HD Audio] driver: snd_oxygen
Card-3 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
driver: snd_hda_intel
Card-4 Logitech Webcam C310 driver: USB Audio
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.13-1-MANJARO
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8168
IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac:
Drives: HDD Total Size: 2628.5GB (0.3% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST2000DM001 size: 2000.4GB
ID-2: /dev/sdb model: SanDisk_SDSSDP12 size: 128.0GB
ID-3: USB /dev/sdd model: My_Passport_0810 size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 16G used: 6.4G (45%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb3
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 19.4C mobo: N/A gpu: 48.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0
Info: Processes: 183 Uptime: 9 min Memory: 1023.6/11922.5MB
Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.0

Please don't laugh too much about my specs

>Other inits are crash proof?
they're not, but systemd is really huge compared to other init systems, one reason being the feature creep of the project.
All kinds of things beside the init system are in pid 1 too if you use systemd, that means if any of these programs crashes, all of them do. Bugs can't be completely prevented on any init system, but inviting a whole load of other software into your pid is just asking for trouble.

Sorry to detract from you problem, just curious...
Is that up to date? I'm using kubuntu 16.04 with backports and I have plasma 5.6.5.

Have you llooked on arch/debian/gentoo wikis for you graphics card? There is a kernel line option called dpm (dynamic power management, I think) which solved fan problems with radeon but that was implemented by default in kernel 3.12 or something. You could try it manually though to see if it helps, maybe there is a regression somewhere.

So after realizing I wanted to back to arch, I decided to give antergros a try.

Honestly, this isn't too shabby of an installer. It comes out with a little more packages than I would like to believe it requires (784 with MATE), but everything just comes out of the box "werking" which is surprising to me. Even ubuntu distros usually require a little tweaking.

I think the only things I dislike are a)comes with a little extra bloat and b) the atergros branding shit everywhere, but I'm sure i'll handle those over time.

why does apt-get upgrade take 30 seconds to execute but apt-get dist-upgrade is running for over an hour now?

Because they are different processes?

It was supposed to download couple of updates for the new distro i installed but it looks like it's downloading and installing literally the entire internet

This is one of the things i hate about linux all i wanted to do was to fix the
apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r)
so it would work, and then after two hours of googling and countless fixes i am still no closer to a solution (and that is not even the main problem that is just the step one so i can fix the main problem i have which requires apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r) to work)

in windows i literally just click the installer and boom done. It works just like that. God this is so frustrating.

Apt-get update = updating your lists for new packages, apt-get upgrade = upgrading packages and apt-get dist-upgrade is to upgrade kernel+base system packages

any slackware users here?
its wikipedia article states that dependencies are resolved by the user.
is that as annoying as it sounds?

I thought it meant distance-update
Why the fuck isn't it name distro-update, that is terribly misleading parameter naming policy

>distance-update
What on earth would you expect that to do?
What is the original issue though? I don't understand what you're trying to do.
>in windows i literally just click the installer and boom done. It works just like that.
That's how it works in linux too. You're trying to do something slightly unusual so it's a bit silly comparing to Window updating, you could lhave done the same thing with a GUI package manager.

I need to install guest additions from the virtual box and to do it i need to do
apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r)
and
sh VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

but when i run the first one it does this
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package linux-headers-..
E: Couldn't find any package by regex '..

I tried fucking everyting, updating the soruces file, running every command i could googled (like apt-get update, apt-get upgrade etc) where this issue was mentioned and fucking nothing works
So then i tried apt-get dist-upgrade and now it's almost two hours and the terminal is hard at work
But i doubt that will work either

>But i doubt that will work either
No it won't.
I don't know the reason for that command not working, works here in kubuntu but just search for which linux-headers packages you have available and then just install it by name. Shouldn't it already have linux-headers installed though? How did you install a kernel without the headers? Which distro is this anyway?

What do you get running 'uname -r' in a terminal?

/fglt/ approved Linux distributions.

Void

Exherbo

Funtoo

Devuan

If you want systemd then Gentoo and Debian are ok.

Ubuntu and Manjaro are the best beginner distros

Stop posting this meme, it will never gain traction.

It werked for you? Both the live CD and the installer were buggy pieces of shit. The installer kept stopping at the installation stage so I just gave up.

Distro name and version number

show the output

If i understand it correctly it searches for a file linux-headers-somehing.pae and it is not found so let's say i donwload it manually, how do i install the file manually?

B-but i thought this was a friendly thread

I'll ask again here, how 'tedious' is it to set up and maintain slackware?
I can follow instructions just fine and fix up the occasional errors you'd get when something breaks, but I really don't want to spend 2-3 hours on something like trying to get my wireless card to work (and fail at it) like when I tried gentoo.
I'm still trying out various distros myself to see what I like rather than rely on someone's shitposting, but it's getting tiresome in some cases

Please stop and look back at the advice you were given, you are going to bork your system.

how often do you reinstall distro?

When it is necessary. Not very often.

never

>I am a desktop user, I run Linux exclusively. I don't run windows
and this is why this arguing is nothing more than shitposting.
You don't care what init system you use and that's it, stop fucking posting "LOL SYSTEMD 4 LYFE, NAME A BETTER ALTERNATIVE, WHY WOULD I EVER USE ANYTHING ELSE".
The other side as equally guilty, but neither refuses to stop posting this shit every single day

lucky you, the installer never worked for me, didn't even want to start at times

Never unless I absolutely have to.

My desktop with Arch has gone for two years without an update due to me just not using it, so that's likely going to get nuked if I don't redo it from scratch.

Bluetooth problem on fresh install of Debian Stable

Turned on bluetooth using "systemctl start bluetooth"
Then proceeded
bluetoothctl
power on
>No default controller available

Help gentoomen

>debian
found your problem

Helpful and friendly
How do you do it?

Is Linux genuinely buggy or is it just my PC?

>install Ubuntu
>some weird bug happens during installing my drivers
>can't open the settings anymore
o-okay

>install Mint
>it works nicely
>after waking the PC up from screensaver mode, the upper part of the monitor is vibrating
>don't even know where to begin to fix it
why

>install KDE Neon
>bugs, crashes, text unreadable, more bugs, I swear even Win 98 was more stable

Can I consider myself having fallen for the Linux meme? I want this torment to end /fglt/

how do i get rid off kernel panic after the update?

How can the mouse speed be lowered on opensuse running kde?

The default speed with acceleration off is hard to get used to

>all ubuntu-based
found your problem

Those are friendly recommendations.

if ubuntu is so great then why did kali, the most demanding and professional distro, switched to debian?

I had that problem too. I only got it to work by using a GUI installer from my arch top.

Regardless, I just uninstalled it and reinstalled arch myself manually. I think it's a cool system when it works, but I don't like a system where there are a bunch of things I didn't put there myself.

So you borked your system?
Try booting in to the previous kernel. If you shared some information it would make it a lot easier to help you.

I followed these steps:
chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Building_Chocolate_Doom_on_Gentoo

But when I try to emerge chocolate-doom it says there are no ebuilds to satisfy it. Is there more to do when adding an overlay in layman?

It's not, but newfags think so.

>but I don't like a system where there are a bunch of things I didn't put there myself.

It sounds like you subscribe to The Arch Way! Way to go!

Arch is YOUR system. It doesn't do anything unless YOU tell it to :)

Are you okay?

Wasn't layman deprecated ages ago?

Hahahaha. B8/8 m8

That’s possible, but I’m too retarded to figure out how to compile from Git.

>Arch is YOUR system. It doesn't do anything unless YOU tell it to :)
What a retarded statement. No system does anything unless you tell it to, that's one of the basic characteristics of computing.

In arch, how do I get my local time to read off of the system time? I went and changed my bios clock to the actual time so Windows would stop shitting the bed, but I actually can't figure out which command sets local time to read off of bios time.

Guy who travels a lot and does presentations asked me about security. He keeps most of his stuff in usb sticks and some of the data should never be leaked. He does not have admin rights on most of the computers he uses.

I said you should encrypt everything, look into veracrypt or at least use p7zip.

I don't really know what should I have told him?

As far as I remember you just add it to repos.conf or something.
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/repos.conf

First for PowerShell on Linux

I tried the minimal installer this morning.

1. Connecting to wifi normally, it doesn't let you enter a password for some reason. You have to use a command to properly connect to wifi. See the ~3 month old issue here: github.com/Antergos/Cnchi/issues/326

2. Same as what said, the installer was generally buggy (sometimes a page would be blank until I paged back and forth), and it got stuck with a blank screen during the primary installation, after I chose all my settings.

I'm sure it's great when your hardware happens to be compatible, and when you're lucky enough to not run into shitty bugs that fundamentally keep you from even installing the distro. Antergos is dirty mexican trash.

is openwrt.org down? i keep timing out during update

Are there any desktop environments that make it VERY easy to adjust color schemes? I want ot be able to tweak the colors for everything with EASE - title bars, task bar, font color, even the color of highlighting words.

Also - tiling WM for daily use computer: yes or no

Thanks

>Also - tiling WM for daily use computer: yes or no
Why don't you try and find out if it's for you?

No fuck you.
No gui.
No X.
Black background.
Green terminal text.
This is the only way.

Literally why?

MATE does, but they are busy porting it to GTK3. I'm using it right now, but they haven't fixed their color picker yet.

Gnome Color Picker or whatever works though. So any GTK based DE will let you use that I imagine.

Tried i3 briefly. I think a tiling WM is the right choice for me, but I'm not ultra-skilled at tech stuff, so I wanted to ask for opinions. If the consensus was "no, it's more suitable for X usage" than I would stick with normal WM and save some time and effort.

How can i run multiple applications from a terminal without windows?
Like let's say i start one and it's running and i need to start another one while the first one is still running.

open a new tab.

I know xfce, MATE, and KDE all support tabbed terminal emulators.

>the installer was generally buggy (sometimes a page would be blank until I paged back and forth), and it got stuck with a blank screen during the primary installation, after I chose all my settings.

exactly my experience

Are you on a Thinkpad?

Er what I mean to say is that the default terminal they use supports tabs.

No, a Toshiba Satellite C55-C5246. But I do want a Thinkpad.

Put it in background with &
Or use a terminal multiplexer like tmux (recommended)

So I have arch going and all is comfy and well, so now I want to move on to where I am weakest - fonts.

I don't wanna miss out on all those Japanese characters and any symbols that commonly apepar around, so what do I need to install?

Do I just go into the arch wiki and install a font family from every category of language they list? I hear infinality has a bundled font package floating about too.

>wants Japanese characters
>doesn't know Japanese
>Arch

fucking lol

you start them in the background by putting '&' after the command