Ignoring all the AMD vs Intel buttmad wars

Ignoring all the AMD vs Intel buttmad wars.

What happened to CPUs?

What has gone so horribly wrong that a 5 year old i5 or i7 is just FINE today?!

I remember when I got my Pentium MMX it was fucking outdate 2 years later and I had to get a Pentium III and then an Athlon XP and then a Athlon 64 X2 and then a Core 2 Quad and then a i7 2600k and then?!?!

What the fuck.

Other urls found in this thread:

reuters.com/article/us-eu-intel-ruling-factbox-idUSTRE54C3II20090513
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Dude, this is nothing new.

If you upgraded from a q6600 to an i5 750 it's as much of an upgrade as going from an i5 2500 to an i5 6600.

Maybe you should consider that something went really well last jump and Focus on that. Instead you decide "it wasn't as good as last jump therefore it is 'horribly wrong'". It's stupid Logic and it's a terrible perspective to have.

Also lately the focus has been more towards power consumption. You get 2w atoms that'll match an e7400 in cpu performance, you get a 54w i3 6100 which trades blows with a 95w i5 2500

What went wrong is that Intel once accidentally made a huge leap instead of the current 5% per gen improvement. They acccidentally made upgrading irrelevant for anyone using Sandy Bridge or better.

>tfw Ivy Bridge

No reason to upgrade.

When AMD got the drop on Intel with Athlon 64 and forced Intel to drop their plans of world domination through Itanium, Intel's response was to illegally lock AMD out of the OEM market. This cost AMD billions of dollars the most important result of which was years where AMD couldn't invest properly in R&D. Intel ultimately lost the court case but has never properly had to pay restitution or faced any restrictions on their business practices.

The last few years has been a glimpse of the stagnation we would see if Intel drove AMD out of business. The unfortunate thing is even if Zen comes out early next year and is good we'll probably see Intel pull the same shit again.

Software is harder than harder than hardware. Despite the current_year, the OVERWHELMING majority of programs are still lightly threaded.

When Johnny CodLoLWanker and Betty TweetFBgram can do everything they want to do with a 5-year-old i3, why would there be progress on CPUs?

>Software is harder than harder than hardware.
I accidentally accidentally a word a word.

Intel monopoly happened, no reason to move forward since there's no competition that could cut into their profits.

AMD dropped off the face of the planet. Intel has no incentives to make their CPU better, all their money went into die shrinking. They havent moved past the dual-core for decades because lack of competition.

If Zen delivers some punch, then Intel might see change.

Last jump was 5 years ago...

>tfw still using oced i5 2500K

reuters.com/article/us-eu-intel-ruling-factbox-idUSTRE54C3II20090513

Wait what...

So you're saying a fucking 6700k beats a 6 core Hyper Threading fucking 2011-3 6800k?

In "encoding"?

Is this fucking Sup Forums meme destroyed now?

BUT AMD HAS BETTER ENCODING BECAUSE MORE COARS

You don't need anything more powerful.

>What has gone so horribly wrong that a 5 year old i5 or i7 is just FINE today?!
what, you like planned obsolescence?

consumer cuck

they stopped pushing cores and started focusing on efficiency

because r&d costs are high with low returns

The technology hasn't changed. Adobe is shit. That's about it. Jewtel won't advance their fucking tech because retard consumers still buy into retarded money making schemes like tick tock. If they wanted to they could just start manufacturing at 8nm immediately but they won't see as large profit margins, it's that simple. The whole idea of ever few years some new technology being invented or some shit and intel processors getting faster is a complete fabrication made by marketers. The tech has existed to make the smallest nm processors for quite some time now. The only reason Intel doesn't just mass produce is because of factory overhead and investment vs return.

>If they wanted to they could just start manufacturing at 8nm immediately
>I don't know how fabs upgrades work : the post

You are a meme.
Because every Intel CPU released sice i3/5/7 has Hyper Threading

> What has gone so horribly wrong that a 5 year old i5 or i7 is just FINE today?!
Intel has shifted their efforts from performance to power consumption for home users.

> 5
Nope.

This.
The software didnt progress to match the power of the hardware.
It just wasnt necessary to leap again, nothign could use it

Whats even better is AMD used a Broadwell E for their Zen benchmarks instead of a regular i7
That things single thread performance is going to be absolute trash like Bulldozer

>look how much of a shit eating retard I am

Summit Ridge is not a mainstream chip. It is a competitor to Haswell-E and Broadwell-E.

And its going to be absolute shit like everything AMD promises.
Whats the point of 32 fucking useless cores when most programs dont use more than 1 or 2?

The only 32 core parts are server chips, you shit eating retard. The same market where intel offers 22 core chips.

Why is it that you shitposters are always so fucking dumb?

>He doesn't know what is rendering farm

it's like you are proper retard or something.

Diminishing returns. The singularity is a lie.

Why are all fanboys insulting that hard lately?

They can discuss like civilized persons but instead they insult everybody.

I assume you must think that by me saying immediately I don't understand manufacturing, that's very assumptive and the context of immediately would obviously not be literal

"muh power consumption" (especially with mobile being the target for hardware makers), software stagnation, and steamrolling their competition through legal and illegal methods (See: Intel's whole domination plan using Itanium which happened with AMD64 instead and took out high-end MIPS, Alpha, and PA-RISC, undercutting POWER and SPARC in costs, Intel's CPU monopoly on prebuilts, and ligation between Intel and AMD)

Yeah because a majority of desktop users have their own render farms :^)

And a majority of 3d games and programs also use Vulkan and DX12 so AMD can completely ignore DX11 and OpenGL performance

AMD- Useless shit that might look useful in very specific situations

It's not for desktop users. Dumbass

>a 5 year old i5 or i7 is just FINE today

i7 930 here , Running it at 3.5 to get semi decent speeds and I idle at fucking 65C , I wouldnt say its just fine.

It werks but its not fine. The speed at which we are able to create faster cpus is slowing down , which is why consumers are now catching up with their old tech.

Also the fact that intel changes socket types like a slut.

Because phones. R/D is going towards reducing power draw and improving shit that doesn't matter.

bullshit x86 limitations
>4 instructions per cycle decode

>he thinks home users make up most of the cpu market

KEK

u r dumb. It's the encoding time that's show. Lower=better.

Pls get out of my Sup Forums

/thread

>I idle at fucking 65C
Your cooler is lacking or ur thermal compound is too old.