/retro/ - retro, vintage, old computer

I love restoring old computers, don't you?

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/TRS-80-Model-III-3-Micro-Computer-From-Radio-Shack-For-Parts-or-Repair-/222206807061?hash=item33bc8ecc15:g:NJ4AAOSwaB5Xn5Hs
ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Apple-II-2-PLUS-2-drives-works-100-/162171611764?hash=item25c22e6a74:g:pwwAAOSwU-pXtRdJ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Which one do we use?

This one
Bump

Thanks.

do you actually know EE or do you just blow the dust off them and do the occasional cap replacement?

what the fuck do you mean by "restoring"?
do you really do anything?

>hit, punch, or kick to start

Wouldn't that damage the computer?

The other thread was made first.

Replacing any needed parts, diagnosing problems with my trusty oscilloscope and always doing the cap replacement.

You can't bump your own thread, OP.

Fuck off

I know a guy who restores vintage stereos and televisions from the 60s and he only has a high school diploma

Other thread is crap.

How's it worse than this one?

forgot to reply

>6 posters
>posts are few seconds apart
Yeah, keep dreaming shitlord.

Forcing on rules

rulefagging

They forgot a comma there

I can reset my router a couple of times as well.

Not him, but actually you can, once you start the tread and once every other reply.

This is the guy who posted the Apple II terminal spam and he's butthurt af at being exposed as a spammer.

I am not a spammer, you fucking asshole. Fuck you.

>Mom! They are liking what I don't like! I'mma ruin their thread so nobody can enjoy this shit anymore!
Topkek, don't see that kind of autism often, even on Sup Forums.

I'm not and I don't think OP is either

Sure counts as spam in my book.

I made that joke so many times already!

If you're not him, why are you so butthurt at the thread rules mentioning him?

Just ignore him, he got butthurt and now tries to fuck with others.

All things considered, the thread rules seemed pretty fair.

At least half this thread has nothing to do with the subject matter.

It's what caused these threads to die off back in 2014/2015

Yeah, I remember.

No, they aren't.

Not him but, that's not even the point, the point is enforcing rules on threads like this, second, that thread would not even last and die if everybody would keep onto half of those rules.

Centris 650 here.
Got the monitor fixed and computer running nicely with OS 8.1.

Replaced the motherboard battery with a coin cell battery holder (and battery) and also added a fan on the CPU heatsink.
Planing on ordering a 18MHz oscillator for the CPU and add a socket for it.

>69°C
>doing nothing

dayum.

I'm thinking about going and have about $40 to spend (though I could do a little more), anything I should look for in particular? I have spare closet space so size really isn't an issue.

I'd get a Quadra 950 with a PPC card and NuBus video.
Probably few monitors, keyboard and mice for backup, maybe a older compact just for the kicks.

There's probably only Mac stuff, so no Apple //?

>he thinks spammers contribute to a thread

That's good news, have fun

The rules are only unfair if you're trying to bring Reddit to this board.

Thanks!

Because these threads have been great for the past few months, but now anons like him are appearing again like two years ago and ruining these threads. There was a reason why these threads didn't exist for a while on Sup Forums.

Well I tried using the retro PC thread on /vr/ but it was full of similar autists who complained if you discussed hardware and didn't spam pics of old MSX games.

I wasn't on here in 2015. What happened to the retro PC threads then?

Yeah, well done. ( You? )

See

Was thinking about getting one of the Compacts with the best specs I could find. Think I'd be able to SSH from one if I got an ethernet adapter?

That wasn't my post you linked, actually I haven't used the /vr/ threads in a while, not at least two weeks.

Dunno how good SSH would be, but telnet for sure.
Ethernet adapter or serial, both would work.
Hope you find a good one!

Alright, but it just fit nicely, that post was posted just a few minutes before yours. Kek.

See

GIF viewers aren't hardware-related so what's the problem here?

The /vr/ threads are only and specifically about PC gaming, not hardware (unless directly game related), not utilities, not anything else. Got that?

You couldn't just hide the hardware posts and ignore them?

>do you actually know EE
I don't think you actually need a degree in EE for that.
Common sense and experience over the years will do.

Finding a computer in a dump hole full of corrosion, dirt, bringing it home and cleaning it up, properly, like full alcohol and contract cleaner routine, retro brighten it, replacing caps and other dieing or dead parts, adding a few propriate upgrades and software.

I think that's already pretty much restoring, don't you think so?

you don't need to know EE for restoring old computers but it helps to actually know how they work. it makes you less of a retarded hipster

They took up half the thread. Too hard to just ignore.

from what I remember, the /vr/ threads had a problem with people arguing if you used some piece of hardware like a CF floppy emulator, that it was hipster ROM kiddy emulator shit.

Yeah that happened here too. Autists telling others what their personal setup should look like.

That's pretty much how you learn about it.

An autist told me do uninstall real player from my Win98 rig back in 2014.

I took a screenshot of the uninstall dialog and said I uninstalled it to shut him up.

I never uninstalled it.

gg m8

Who does that?
I don't go around pointing at people's retro Win9x machines and telling them to uninstall RealPlayer because it triggers my autismo.

I mean really, who the fuck does something like that? Is there a medical diagnosis for it? That's not fucking normal.

How about ignoring idiots?
Stay calm and discuss old computers.

That little panel on the left tickles my pickle!
Specs?

the world may never know

Idk. It's dead at the moment. Some psu issues. If I have some free time, I will repair it.

That sucks, good luck repairing it!

>2007+ iMac
>old

Sorry, didn't have any other icon.
Imagine it's an FW900.

Wait what's wrong with RealPlayer again?

BAM!

I don't know.

See, on /vr/ there was that one obsessive weeb who wanted oh so very badly to discuss JPCs except, too bad nobody else did so he was left all alone to spam his MSX pics.

The main board is pic related, right?

Just le generic 386/486 motherboard.

Is it me or is Apple II emulation kind of...shitty compared to C64 emulation? That's considering the Apple II is much, much simpler hardware.

It's most likely because the Apple II community consists of collectorfag autists who think you should only use real and pricey hardware.

I will take a look, I just can't say it. I still have 3 ibm compatible machines of these times. This Highscreen, one Privileg and one from a local Computer Shop. I don't know why I didn't dump it back in the days... Now i'm glad.

Can we agree about the Ebay scalpers bit?

I've never felt that way. AppleWin always works smoothly with CiderPress and ADTPro

When will you fools get it? The days of finding 80s metal cheap are over. This isn't 1995 when people were throwing the shit in dumpsters.

Retards who buy Pentium Pros at ridiculously high prices just to destroy them and "get rich because they are made out of pure gold" just make me sad.

I used AppleWin once a long time ago. It was a lot more limited than VICE in terms of configuration options and only emulated an enhanced //e. Also it would only let you use it about 15 minutes before rudely demanding you get a registered version and then exiting out.

Old servers are basically just good as a doorstop/bookshelf anyway.

ebay.com/itm/TRS-80-Model-III-3-Micro-Computer-From-Radio-Shack-For-Parts-or-Repair-/222206807061?hash=item33bc8ecc15:g:NJ4AAOSwaB5Xn5Hs

Betcha $5 that the brightness/contrast is turned all the way down to zero.

ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Apple-II-2-PLUS-2-drives-works-100-/162171611764?hash=item25c22e6a74:g:pwwAAOSwU-pXtRdJ

I don't care what anyone says, this isn't a justifiable price and I would not ask that money if I were selling it.

Are you sure that was AppleWin and not Virtual][?

It was Apple2Win.

I guess I'd hate Ebay sellers less if they didn't post stuff like "Cannot test, no power cord" or "Cannot test, no monitor" when you could just plug the goddamn thing into any TV set. And then expect you to pay $200 for it.

Most of them just want money and have no interest in the hardware or testing it.

I honestly just read that as "it's broken" when they could easily test it and sell it easier/get more money.

some guys don't even care if it's broken because they like the challenge of fixing the thing. I don't though. If it doesn't work, be honest, you fucker.

it's mostly e-celebs like AVGN that caused Ebay prices to skyrocket. any time he'd play some game, every autist wants it.

I've found early 90s and late 80s iron at the local recycler. Usually it's in such poor condition that I'm afraid if I applied power to it I'd be greeted with a loud bang and smoke and it's not uncommon for it to be unloaded straight to eBay if it's not too expensive to ship.

That's also how I've gotten a lot of late 90s-mid 2000s RISC iron however. I've also gotten a Sun SPARCstation 20 there that likely needs a recap (some humming sound comes from the PSU area)

I'm also trying to look out for an early-mid 90s RS/6000 workstation, however it was hard enough as it is finding my Intellistation Power 275 (Power4)

The thrift stores in my area banned computer stuff a long time ago. Actual computers, I mean. Peripherals and monitors are fine, although a lot of them now seem to have banned CRTs.