Headphones + mic for gaming?

What's up, I need a headset or something. I'm new so please no meanies.

As I understand it, headsets are (in essentially all cases) inferior to the combination of headphones and a microphone. So I've been searching for headphones for a bit but damn there are so many out there. Basically:

I'm no audiophile and I am not that knowledgeable at all when it comes to audio. I seemingly can't tell the difference between MP3s (with the usual bitrates or however you say it) and FLACs. No disrespect to audiophiles but I'm not one so I just want something that sounds good to me.

I would like to both hear audio and give audio (so both input & output, e.g. headphones + microphone), and presumably the preferred way to go about this is the combination of headphones and a microphone. So (assuming that is correct), I'm looking for headphones as well as a microphone that can be easily attached to the headphones.

Now, I've used headphones with an attached microphone before, and the way it attached (on the headphones cable) just wasn't as convenient as what a headset looks like it would provide. The microphone would gradually move away from my mouth and I'd have to pull it back up. So, I'd like to place some emphasis on that I want the microphone to be conveniently attached much like with a headset (but not necessarily in the exact same way).

Anyway, the headset is mostly for gaming (mainly FPS and similar first-person games). I will of course use it for other purposes as well but nothing special so if it's good for gaming then it'll probably be sufficient for everything that I do.

...so what should I buy, m8s?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

Other urls found in this thread:

inet.se/produkt/6607051/hyperx-cloud-svart/
maxgaming.se/tradbundna-headset-1/qpad/qh-90-closed-gaming-headset-black
enlofting.com/2016/05/11/hyperx-cloud-revolver-vs-cloud-2-get/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Read the thread faglord.

And holy jesus that gaymer trash hang yourself asap.

that... that doesn't look like a shop

If you'd read the file name, "l33t-sh1t.jpg", you'd realise I wasn't taking the image seriously either.

it isn't

I looked at the thread already. Any particular place at which I should be looking?

Audio Technica ATH M50 with Antlion Modmic. The Modmic is on massdrop right now

>catalog
>ctr+f headphone
>wow omg theres an l33t headphone general up 24/7, some dank sh1t dere senpai

kill yourself

Kingston Hyperx Cloud is the best headset in production at the moment.

>kill yourself
Nah.

You think that would be better than some headphones+microphone combo in my case? I heard about it being an exception to the general rule that headsets are inferior.

A detachable mic + a good headphone will surely cost more than a Kingston Hyperx Cloud and, since you say that you're not an audiophile, why would you spend more for something being slightly better? Cloud is a solid closed-back headphone. An open back headphone would be even better, but you need to get a detachable mic for that. The best cheap open headphone I know about is the Koss Porta Pro. You could combine it with either an Antlion Modmic 4.0 or some other good quality mic and it would be slightly more expensive than the Kingston. If I wanted a headphone exclusively for gaming, I would choose a Kingston Cloud nowadays. It's great value.

God these people are faggots

Anyway budget?

This. I just bought the cloud revolver (on sale) and I am VERY satisfied with h my purchase. Super comfy, great sound, my friends say that my shrieking into the mic has never been clearer.

Listen to this even if you just get the standard cloud.

I agree with the user who said hyperx cloud/qpad qh-90.

I've used several mic's along with my ATH-M50's and while I do prefer the M50's for music specifically, the headset-combination is simply more practical(at least for me). Also it's hard to find a decent microphone, you need two cables and so on

To add to this, I now have my qpad connected to my desktop 24/7 and bring my M50's when I want to listen to music somewhere else.

Good points. Sounds like Kingston HyperX Cloud should do me well. I assume you mean the one just called "HyperX Cloud" and not "HyperX Cloud 2" or "HyperX Cloud Revolver"?

And to answer the question about spending more for something slightly better, I suppose I was just making too big of a deal out of this "headphones + mic > headset" thing since my budget is so low anyway. I actually *had* headphones + mic but the headphones fell apart. They were pretty cheap (or really, overly cheap by audiophilic (or even decent) standards) IIRC so I guess they were just shit(ty) (I mean, especially since the headphones fell apart), and surely HyperX Cloud would beat them anyway.

So basically my budget is so low that headphones + microphone isn't even economical, I guess you could say(?).

Around $100 or so is my idea.

Good to hear. I'm just not sure which one I should get then. Probably the standard one since it fits my budget but then I'd like to know what I'm missing out on.

>the headset-combination is simply more practical
This is what I'm thinking too - it'd be good if I can find a good (not overpriced shitty etc.) headset, because the practicality of how well-integrated the microphone is weighs heavier than, for me, unnecessarily good audio quality.

Not much you can do for 100 with real headphones, to my knowledge

Exactly - that's why a decent headset like the Kingston HyperX Cloud seems like the best option, I'm thinking.

HyperX is the american branding, while it's called Qpad in Europe afaik. Same exact headset, but qpad has a good reputation in the CS-community for a long time now.
Not sure what's different in the 2-version, guess you should check that out before you buy.

>it's called Qpad in Europe afaik
Hmm. Strange I'm finding "HyperX Cloud" on the website of a Swedish store: inet.se/produkt/6607051/hyperx-cloud-svart/
Yeah I'll have to stop being lazy and look up the differences, with "Revolver" as well.

And here's another swedish online store where it's named by the Qpad-brand. maxgaming.se/tradbundna-headset-1/qpad/qh-90-closed-gaming-headset-black

enlofting.com/2016/05/11/hyperx-cloud-revolver-vs-cloud-2-get/

Here you go.
I'm the guy with the revolver and like I said, would really really recommend them. Especially if you have a lot of ambient noise.

Yeah I was just thinking there might be a difference since it was said they'd be in different contintents but they're just rebranded then (not even separated by continent, so no NA/EU difference like some power consumption thing blablabla I dunno). I'll just get whichever then.

>Here you go.
Thanks.
Well it seems like the Cloud 2 might be just as good for me pretty much, and it's quite a bit cheaper. I mean, better mic sounds good but I assume it's pretty good on Cloud 2 too so probably not that important, and regarding the durability, I like to think I'm somewhat careful so hopefully the plastic will last. I've yet to compare it to the standard Cloud though; I'll look that up.

The cloud is the only gaming headset I've ever seen the audiophiles on Sup Forums approve of. I'd bet that either it or the cloud 2 would be your best choice.