Are hdds/ssds in the 2.5"/3.5" form factors deprecated...

Are hdds/ssds in the 2.5"/3.5" form factors deprecated? M2 drives seem better in every single way except maybe durability, or risk of getting fucked up during installation, but it's no worse than ram really

Call me when they aren't 2x the price per gig

you forgot cooling

yes, some new ssds literally overheat

Tru dat

A couple cheap heatsinks fixes it for the most part though

Your motherboard probably has at least 6 SATA ports. How many M.2 ports does it have?

I just paid $109 CDN for a SanDisk x400 256gb m2, which is pretty close to the same price as most 2.5" 256gb ssds

It's in a laptop, so no not quite, although only 1 m2 port is kind of shitty I agree. I only want for the OS and a few programs/games, cheaper 1tb hdds are more or less fine for everything else.

If I could throw in 4 m2 cards I would

Oh, you're talking about the SATA M.2. which seems kinda pointless. Why not just ask about mSATA which is cheaper, same perfromance, and smaller?

from where?

I have an sm951 nvme.
Should I put heat sinks on?
If so what ones?

how do you fuck up installing either you can put massive amounts of pressure on RAM and it won't break

If you don't get nervous installing RAM or especially M.2 then you are brain damaged.

I'd have to buy a new motherboard or an adapter. I have plenty of SATA ports. I'll go with the cheaper and easier option.

It never hurts, you can get little square heatsink switch adhesive online or at most component stores like RadioShack
Solid copper optimally, but for the heat those things put out aluminum is ok

If you DO get nervous you have autism
It's not hard nor are these kinds of components really fragile.
heat spreaders help a lot

My m.2 was over $200 and they are so tiny. You have to put it at the right angle for it to slide in, then push it down and screw it. Yeah it made me nervous, especially so it being my first m.2 drive. RAM gets people nervous because you need too much force to put it in. Stupid design, but the motherboard power cable is the worst of all!

>enterprise class
>M.2
pick one. I dont see any supercaps on that SSD

I thought ssds were supposed to run cool.

There's typically only 1 M.2 slot in your average mobo made in 2015 or newer. So long as that is the case, 2.5" SSDs still have a place to stay.

I don't know, user.
Is storage deprecated ?

>caring about throughput of one minute+ when random I/O is much more important

No, they are supposed to run as fast as RAM. They already caught up with ddr1 speeds.

super hot and have problems being used as an initial boot drive

they also eat up a ton of PCI-e lanes which is fine if you don't need multiple GPU's, but some people do.

There are motherboards and cpu's now with more pci-e lanes for those that need them.

>plug cable in
>FFFZZZT
>OH GOD WHY ARE YOU DYING?!

Fucking worst.

Should I buy Samsung pm 830? Does it have any drawbacks?

at that point, why not nas?

A NAS stores files that can be accessed through a network.
My workstation stores files that can be accessed through a network.

An ordinary NAS doesn't have enough processing power to manage something like a Plex server, so what purpose would a NAS have here ?

>wow fuck RAM call me when it's as cheap as a HDD per GB

This is how stupid you sound.

>Are hdds/ssds in the 2.5"/3.5" form factors deprecated?

I'd say yes.
They're falling so much behind in speed, that it really makes no sense to buy them nowadays.
Especially considering how much smaller this shit has gotten during the last few of months.
They're going to be able to fit multiple TB of storage on one of those M.2 drives easily.

2.5" is here to stay. We might even start seeing 3.5" to aid in dissipating heat

>BGA
so in order to replace it you have to desolder it
brilliant idea.