Why games at linux runs slower that in Windows?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QgfCjvPSmVI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This is not true for all games - source engine games like Left 4 Dead 2 run faster in GNU/Linux than in Windows

youtube.com/watch?v=QgfCjvPSmVI

The video is a little outdated, so consider that the ubuntu used in the video is three years old, and that only marginal improvements have been made in performance from windows 8 to windows 10

To answer your question, developers have little financial incentive to produce games that are well optimised for operating systems that aren't Windows, since Windows comprises most of the desktop PC market share

You know, one day I'm going to develop a game engine made specifically for Linux the same way developers make game engines specifically for Windows just so faggots like you can shut up

OpenJewL

Shut up asshole, I run both linux and windows in my desktop.

BASED user 2016

they spent years optimizing it to probe 'games run better on linox buy steammachine'

And steamboxes were a fucking big failure

Every emulator I use runs better on Linux than on Windows
Specially Dolphin, windows keeps eating random inputs from my Wii mote (I use bluetooth) and sometimes my games crash for no real reason (after ~10 minutes of player I think) whereas on Linux it runs smoothly and never crashes

Which is a shame really, the only reason I boot into windows is to play games so I wish emulators would run properly there

Neckbeard OS , thats why

>dual booting
>not just owning 2 PCs

What are you, poor?

Selling their hardware was never the point, except for maybe the controller. Getting more people using GNU/Linux to move away from Windows for gaming was the goal, I believe. Gabe wasn't happy with where Windows was going.

This

>they spent years optimizing it to probe 'games run better on linox buy steammachine'
More like months just to surpass windows on internal test.

PS. Do you know how many years they spent optimizing the source engine for windows? how many patchs features and fixes over the years?

Most games that run slower on linux are windows ports and sometimes they're using a translation layer to save time I've seen some ports that performs worse than using the windows version on wine.

Also amd proprietary drivers are shit and slower than the windows ones, the open ones are better but performance is still behind.
Nvidia drivers have features and performance parity between windows and linux but the open ones are a joke.

Pic

trips speak truth

Yeah I still remember the Valve devs saying that they were beating Windows performance and they had barely optimized anything.

You know what would be funny? HalfLife 3 as a steamOS/Linux exclusive or a release on linux first and on windows a month later or so.

Most of the devs probably work on Linux, so there's more testing done on Linux.

yeah it was like.. we use a translation shit here and there and 3 fps.. a few optimizations and in a couple weeks 300+ fps everywhere (And using a translation layer).

Now people think that they only optimize for linux and that valve was not optimizing the source engine for windows all this 17+ years.

I'll help out with the logo

nah just wait for full vulkan support on UE4, Cryengine...

>only marginally better
Linux ladies and gentlemen.

Well i can use more linux friendly games to show differences but doesn't seem fair cause windows is not a priority for them.

Or another unigine test, as i said it can run faster than windows but devs needs to spend the same time optimizing for both platforms and linux is not usually a priority yet.

The industry is practically trained into using windows-only tools and due to the marketshare they optimize a lot more for windows. is an egg-chicken situation that can only be changed if more people asks for linux games but the problem is that most people doesn't even knows what is an operative system and they just use whatever comes bundled with the hardware so it's necessary for companies like canonical to get as many hardware deals as possible.

Ummmm didn't windows 10 introduce DX 12?

I don't know glxspheres64 runs pretty fast on my machine {;~)

Yeah, but vulkan have the same benefits and it runs on linux and all windows versions too 7 / 8 / 10 doom is using it right now.

Try a more optimized game

see
That's pretty optimized 440+ fps on linux

>not passing through your GPU into windows via KVM

Welp, osu! in Wine runs better than on Windows, so you aren't right

That's a workaround but it'll be better if we can just run everything on linux but as said is an egg-chicken situation.

>Dolphin
>better on Linkucks
They literally have said that many games only work thanks to DX12 specific hacks like that Metroid game.