/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=616wvkZuco4
suckless.org/sucks/systemd
0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>qBittorrent doesn't run in OpenBSD
Back to Linux I guess

Do people who run Windows have a mental deficiency that warrants government assistance? Most Windows users I meat in real life seem to have some form of high-functioning down syndrome. They're able to be taught to use office software and sometimes even to code basic programs, but they can only do it with an IDE that does all the work that requires intelligence for them. Put them in front of a text editor and they shit themselves, they have no idea how to write a program from scratch without a GUI holding their hand. I don't even know how you can call these people real programmers, but I guess if you get paid 25k/year to maintain visual basic programs you're technically a "programmer", even if you can't actually build a program without the IDE....

Okay so, I've still not gotten anywhere with my installation of mint. Even Ubuntu had these issues which is why I've never been able to install Linux on my machine. I've been trying to install it via USB.

> enabled port emulation in bios
> unplugged literally everything
> tried rufus over universal installer
> tried different usb port
> tried to disable usb3 controller in bios
> tried a different distro (albeit an Ubuntu one)
> Google doesn't give any results, error 32 seems to be unique
> tried defaults in bios

Some people just have other hobbies than tech. Doesn't generally mean that they're stupid.

They have used Windows all their life. Were you clueless when you first encountered an operating system that you were unfamiliar with? Maybe you could help them

also
>real programmers
no true scotsman fallacy - they meet the criterion for being a programmer if they can program

How do i merge a subtitles file (srt) into a movie file on linux?

Use WINE

ffmpeg
wat

Ok I have a thread made on this but I think it's dead now but i can't install ubuntu 16.04 alongside windows 10 it gets me to the "install ubuntu gnome" option and then i just get black screens and nothing happens. this is supposed to be easy...

Didn't know ffmpeg could do that, cheers.

Void Linux

Exherbo

Funtoo

Devuan

Debian and Gentoo are ok if you want to use systemd

Ubuntu and Manjaro are recommended distributions for beginners and for people who just want something out of the box.

Arch Linux is NOT recommended.

Just fuck off already

>Recommend Manjaro
>Arch is NOT recommended

Wanna know how I know you are a clueless newfag?

Not friendly

Manjaro is Arch++

>Manjaro is Arch++
XDDD

Unless you have a proper argument against Arch get the fuck out

bump please I want freedom from Windows 10 ;_;

>Ubuntu for beginners
I like your meme, newbabby. No wonder you recommended all the garbage distros first

Dumbfuck.

I often ask this same question about people who use a gui on their Linux distro. Linux was never meant to be a desktop machine. Linux is for development and server functionality.

With that being said. You are a high functioning autist.

I've been using ubuntu on and off for a few years, and recently installed it on my main computer. I'm thinking about replacing it with Arch soon.

>t. Archbabbys

This is why I don't like GUI installers, they don't give proper error reports

1. On windows 10, defrag HDD
2. Free a 2 partitions, one with 1GiB
3. Start Ubuntu GNOME live ISO
4. Chose "exactly what I want ..." for partitioning
5. Pick the smaller partition (1G) for swap
6. Pick the other one for /
7. Install

Follow this
youtube.com/watch?v=616wvkZuco4

NOTE: Make sure your secure boot is turned off.

What do you use?

Start with Antergos

>t. debibabby

Bitch please, I wouldn't touch Arch or Majaro.

Just use a VM.

>Start with Antergos
Why?

It has a GUI installer and leaves you with a nice desktop. You can try Architect as well

what this guy said, also make sure your bootloader is installing on the correct drive

the guided partitioning sometimes picks the wrong one which will fuck up your install

>the guided partitioning sometimes picks the wrong one
That's why I told to use "exactly what I want" or something in the partition menu for manual mountpoints

Thanks for the suggestions, but I think I will try installing Arch first. If it's too much of a hassle, I will follow your recommendations.

Cheers I'll try this out, I really have no idea why this shit is so hard when it shouldn't be

UEFI secure boot prevents you from installing unsigned softwares

no systemd

fuck off dumb tripfag

Again

I am using systemd. Give me one down-to-earth practical reason why should delete systemd from my install.

suckless.org/sucks/systemd pick one

All debunked
0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html

So what's YOUR reason, I'm all ears

read the article, potteringcuck

How are these debunked? Did you even click the link? 0pointer is speaking about different things than suckless.

No YOU read the article.

And give me why I should remove systemd

Nope, mostly the same. Basically suckless is moaning because systemd doesn't cater to their preference.

>No counter argument.
anti-systemd fags BTFO

tell*

I have fastboot and secure boot disabled

Are you a clown?
Post anonymously or fuck off.

Jesus christ, they never learn.

Does the problem persist?

This
Vegans stop moaning the moment you ask them what systemd can't do that their init can

runit is faster

you should both go back to plebbit

yup, although I already partitioned my drive before trying to install ubuntu which i think might be a problem so I unpartitioned it so now Windows is allocated to 100% of my drivespace like before (minus a few recovery partitions that windows automatically creates) but This spatry guy in the video says to defragment your drive before you do this all, should I do that if I have an SSD or do I ignore that step?

No it isn't.

> LE REDDIT IS BAD GUYZZ XDDDDDD TOPKEK TOPKEK
Come back when you are 18

read Tripfags not welcome.

give up, he's one of the oldest and most annoying tripfags, just filter him like everyone

Yes it is.

Just passing by to thank you for your effort.

Also fuck systemd. I won't argue with trolls.

>just filter him
That's exactly the reason why we have so many tripfags.

Prove it.

Runit is objectively faster than systemd.

sorry my brutha frum anutha mutha

What is your favorite DE? I really like openbox along with fbpanel.

Except its not and your wrong, post any activity runit does and I'll show you systemd doing it faster.

I would do the reverse but runit can't do what systemd does so it wouldn't be fair.

openbox is a wm

Where do you want to install your Linux? I recommend you install it in you hard disk.

I'd remove those recovery partitions, and follow the video.

Keep your C:\\ in SSD, have a media partition in D:\\ (Hard drive).

The rest of the partitions can be used for swap and /.

If you are still having problems, just run windows in a VM like me, not too bad if you are just running MS Word or Excel

>Can't argue where I'll get rekt

>Gpl licensed, free and open source
>"Just werks"
>Faster boot process
>Eliminates bloat/meme packages

There is NO reason why one should delete systemd from his system. There is nothing systemd can't do what other init systems can.

>Botnet
Source is open, show where

>Not Unix
Neither is linux

>pottering
So what packages did YOU make yesterday?

Nice pasta

People who like systemd don't understand what an init system actually should do. Systemd isn't an init system, it's bloat, eating up multiple programs which aren't even remotly related to init. Because of this, programmers need to rewrite their programs to target systemd instead of usual init systems, which results in a new standard: GNU/SystemD/Linux.

I have 1 drive which is a 500gb ssd and whenever I try to boot from my usb (used unetbootin to create a bootable drive) I get to a screen that asks if I want to try without installing, install, and a few other options...I pick any one of those and I am created with a black screen

>t. guy, not knowing what he's taling about

>Systemd isn't an init system

So how exactly is systemd performing a function like dhcp far more quickly AND EASILY than any dhcp client and operc or runit or whatever bullshit you use bad exactly?

Is it harming the rich ecology of your fucking 30 year old stale utility? Oh god nooooooo!

That's not how it works, it's GNU/Linux because people are using the Linux version of a fully functioning GNU OS project

Systemd user here.

What does RMS say about systemd? Any source?

>People who like systemd don't understand what an init system actually should do.
I think some of them do, but are too lazy or don't know how to set up an alternative init system, because of this, they defend it.

He only cares about freedom. Since systemd is free software, he's ok with it.

Not dropped then

>Linux distributions

It's a software suite that includes an init system.

I just want an init system. I don't want a software suite.

What does the software suit contain?

A bunch of functionality that he has to add with utilities anyway.

Hmm. It's like saying
>VLC isn't a video player, it's a software suite with utilities such as screenshooter
Yup I'm fine with that

Would you be fine with it if the video files you downloaded required VLC to view?

I want to bring a portable toaster from 2009 back to life.
>2GB ram.
>AMD Athlon TF-20 1.60GHz (32-bit)
>Running vista
I need something light and quick, but clean looking. Any ideas?
Overall I'm only planning to use this as a Shit-posting-box and Office Suite. Know of a beginner distro that can get the job done?

Elementary looks nice, but I remember you anons shitting on them over some controversial stuff.
Deepin is also very clean, but that too got lots of flack over being Chinese botnet or something?
Lubuntoo and LXLE seem to have what I'm looking for, but I really have little idea what the difference is between them. LXLE is a lighter fork of Lubuntoo but has more features?

As long as it's light, clean, ubuntoo/debian based I don't mind trying it. I'm still new to Gnu/Linux, and Ubuntoo and simplicity is still my comfort zone.

Hey VLC is free and open source. If mpv has a wrapper that allows .vlc files it's okay. However, I'd blame the video producer for choosing the most common media player format

Not a good comparison at all.
It would be like if you were bitching that ffmpeg was encoding mpeg layer 3 instead of lame.

/fglt/ - systemd general

>tfw using systemd on gentoo
pretty good

this meme is forced and shit

Gentoo has better systemd support than any other distro including Fedora.

Gentoo uses OpenRC you fucking newfag

Just use OpenRC

go away

Why in gods name would I want to back to rc script hell??

Are you talking about LXDE? Because Lubuntu is a distro, LXDE is a desktop environment.

I personally don't see the point in using Lubuntu, since Ubuntu is kind of a heavy distro, but if you don't want to venture beyond your comfort zone just yet then it's fine.

see

anti-systemd fags BTFO

>Are you talking about LXDE?
No. LXLE is a distro, based on Lubuntu , that also uses the LXDE desktop environment. It also had me confused when I discovered it.

>I personally don't see the point in using Lubuntu, since Ubuntu is kind of a heavy distro
If you have any suggestions I'm willing to listen. I just wanted anyone reading to know my current Linux level, and what I was comfortable with. But feel free to suggest something else.

I threw LXLE on my dad's shitty 10 year old computer last year and it's been wonderful for him.