Python Comments Suck

I really want to like Python, in fact, I like most of it, functionally. However there is one major drawback that causes persistent irritation for me.

There is no official multi line comment support, and using ''' ''' is just complete garbage. Furthermore, I really dislike using the octothorpe, #, as a comment. It's extremely disappointing in comparison to other alternatives, such as a basic /* Comment, can be multi line too */ or --[[ Wow look, they made a modification to the single line comment to make it multi line, and -- already looks so much better than #, --]]

Other urls found in this thread:

python.org/dev/peps/pep-0257/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitespace_(programming_language)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>There is no official multi line comment support
yes there is. it's documented here: python.org/dev/peps/pep-0257/
>using ''' ''' is just complete garbage
that's the official multiline comment support. i don't know how to help you with stuff that triggers you except to tell you to go see a therapist or something.

>furthermore, I really dislike using the octothorpe... it's extremely disappointing
it's an octothorpe. i don't think i've ever been more certain that you need therapy. it's an almost purely cosmetic choice.

if you wanted to bitch about binding time or typing or something about the design of the language itself, this would be an interesting conversation. but it sounds like you just don't like the look of some syntactic choices.

That's correct. I think it looks like shit. And you're wrong, that isn't multi line comment, it's a docstring. You discredited yourself, anyway.

That makes two problems. A hideous comment mechanism, and a lack of proper/ official multi line support.

Nobody, not even you read your shitty comments on your fizzbuzz implementation

I use single line comments on huge comment blocks JUST because of faggots like you

Samefag detected
Butthurt levels detected
--[
Get
on
my
level
--]

Tomato, tomayto, it's fucking multi-line comments you fucking autist

>crying about unimportant shit
looks like you're the one who sucks

I don't think you understand. A tomato and an onion are not the same thing. Both are foods. Both can be used in cooking. Both can be consumed. Both are not tomatoes. Both are not onions.

Docstring implementations are not full fledged multi line comments. Only a literal moron would think so.

>pic related

want to try again?

the docstring is supposed to be made with multi line comments, made with the use of three quotation marks.

like i said, your bitching is very clearly superficial. if you had any opinion about the underlying design decisions of the language - something even marginally more substantive than which tokens are used for comments - then maybe this would be an interesting discussion. i've TA'd classes with first year undergrads who have had more insightful questions and critiques than this.

>writing comments
Shit coder detected.

>Docstring implementations are not full fledged multi line comments.
In what way? They are functionally the same.

Anyways it's clear you don't actually like python, considering you're so asshurt over comments

Maybe I'm a closet hater of the language. What can I say?

>Thinks a screenshot proves anything
want to try again?

>literally grasping at insults
>mfw

>Docstring implementations are not full fledged multi line comments. Only a literal moron would think so.
But they are
A multiline string placed anywhere but the usual docstring place will cause it to be ignored like a comment. It's literally the recommended way of doing multiline comments or disabling a chunk of code.

>What can I say?
Probably construct a better argument. Even if you knew """ was the official multiline support, your only backing of not using it was saying it's complete garbage. Why is it complete garbage? If you answered that, you'd look less like a retard

your right it was actually me but whatever you dont actually understand anything about the underlying design decisions of the language, so theres no point in talking to you.

That's all he can do, bikeshedding.

Well at least you can be honest. Fair enough.

You want an answer? It'll be an opinion, but I'll bite.

I find it aesthetically irritating. For one, the tokens used aren't equidistant, and therefore don't match up, relative to the top and bottom. This looks like shit. Also it's just sort of garbled tossing three of the exact same small token together.

It's an opinion, but it's valid to me. I was simply stating in my OP that other languages have much better looking comment functions, and actually have non-docstring support for multi line usage, regardless of whether or not docstring usage can effectively do the same thing.

>There is no official multi-line comment support except for the support that there is that I don't like

okay

I can see how the whitespace sensitivity might make you think python is a language for hopeless spergs but actually it's just about being pragmatic

get over whatever dumb bullshit complaints you have about quotes being too top heavy of a character

OP, the # is the standard way of commenting in the majority of the unixy environments, python, didn't invent it, ruby didn't, perl didn't ... as long as your file accepts shebang definition, odds are # will be used for marking comments.

Yes, it is balls that python doesn't have multiline comments, however the majority of text editors have a "comment multiple lines" command. At least all the ones I use have (or can be extended to have). What are you editing you python files with that this is such a problem?

>hates python
okay
>for purely syntactical/stylistic reasons
fuck off

At least present some valid complaints against python next time, please

>Oh boo hoo he didn't have a complaint about some super duper important bug in the language or something major
Nobody told you to come to this thread, butt bagel. It's fully valid, it's just an opinion. Fuck off.

>it's just an opinion
A shit opinion
>waah triplequotes are ugly for unspecified reasons and i'm too lazy to make my editor block comment with #

Op, if you want esthetically pleasing, learn whitespace. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitespace_(programming_language)

The following is a commented Whitespace program that simply prints "Hello, world!", where each Space, Tab, or Linefeed character is preceded by the identifying comment "S", "T", or "L", respectively:S S S T S S T S S S L
T L
S S S S S T T S S T S T L
T L
S S S S S T T S T T S S L
T L
T L
S S S S S T T S T T T T L
T L
S S S S S T S T T S S L
T L
S S S S S T S S S S S L
T L
S S S S S T T T S T T T L
T L
S S S S S T T S T T T T L
T L
S S S S S T T T S S T S L
T L
T L
S S S S S T T S S T S S L
T L
S S S S S T S S S S T L
T L
S S L
L
L

>2014
>not writing self-explanatory code

It's time to stop using notepad and use a real editor that can automatically format comments.

No they aren't. A multiline string takes time to run, comments don't.

>your program runs 1% slower because you used strings as comments
>you used strings as comments because your text editor can't comment things for you

Completely wrong.
Strings that aren't referenced anywhere get discarded by the interpreter.

two words: Civilization V.

play that shit then tell me python is fast

You mean by the CPython byte compiler, but that's not in the language spec.

>b-b-but someone might use an uncommon, poorly-writter compiler or interpreter that doesn't do an obvious optimization!

>I will use my hair dryer in the shower like it warns you not to because it has a safety switch that will protect me
>I don't buy hair dryers without a retard safety switch

@56172532
(You)

why? is it written in python?