How much of this show is true? Do you watch it...

How much of this show is true? Do you watch it? Name some examples of hacking that could be consider "forced" or total bs.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/?task=search2&ghost=yes&search_text=mr robot&search_subject=&search_username=&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_media_hash=&search_op=op&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=post
youtu.be/Xnvqcz5lMiI
usbrubberducky.com/#!index.md
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

its all realistic

>all
Nope

>Name some examples of hacking that could be consider total bs

Hacking the FBI while being in a prison.

???

he just wrote the code

The commands they type into terminal are all real and sensible. For example in season 1 when Elliot gets access to the E Corp system he types stuff like "ls", which is the real way you would list the contents of a directory, and in season 2 Angela is instructed to type some real ifconfig commands that would enable wifi.

However, everything is greatly simplified. It usually comes down to "./leet_haxor_script.py" which is technically a reasonable command (it would run a script called leet_haxor_command.py) but is effectively meaningless. We don't see how the script was written, just that a script was run. It's the equivalent of opening an app on your phone or an executable on your computer that hacks the gibson. Yeah such a thing could exist, but it's kind of a cop-out to suggest the characters are doing essentially one-click hacking.

Yeah but i don't think there's a terminal in his cell, and then what? he just send the code ? If there was a computer in the prison i don't think you could just go on the internet and send shit like that.
Unless fat black was the director or some prisonbreakplotpoint shit.

I was enjoying the show until that last episode seriously it's like the writers are trying to out-shyamalan somehow by adding shitty twist that doesn't make any sense.

nigga, ray was a warden or a worker in the prisoner
he had access to computer
he gave elliot acces so that elliot could fix his tor craigslist site
elliot downloaded developer tools with putty & sshd into his shit
he ircd
he sent his sister the code
?????
prophet

It's the most realistic tech show ever made. There are a few mistakes and a lot of fudging, but it's the best you're gonna get.

>falling for the bait

But you're telling me there's not one person checking the network ? Or just blocking it.
Also wtf is this shit with the female guard who was passing as his mother ? I don't think they're allowed in a male pen.

They should have another name for him since he's not a robot but a normalfag.

maybe is a low sec pen. I mean he just hacked shit, he is not violent.

>you and angela will never do this

We don't know yet why he's there. The show wants us to believe it's for murder though.

he's in NY, i read somewhere if your sentence is under 2 years, you get put in a county jail. and others already mentioned that ray was some sort of higher up in the county jail, so he had access to internet + he was already running some illegal tor shit for who knows how long until the other hacker dude backed out so obviously his traffic was masked from any county jail IT person. as far as why he's in a county jail, it's probably because the guy who was cheating on his wife with elliot's therapist reported him to the police.

no it doesn't, tyrell is still MIA in the news we see within the show, elliot wouldn't be in such a weak sauce jail for murder, he'd be locked up in a high security prison, especially since tyrell is an e corp guy.

she looked like shit in s1

no, u

>tyrell is still MIA in the news we see within the show, elliot wouldn't be in such a weak sauce jail for murder, he'd be locked up in a high security prison, especially since tyrell is an e corp guy.

yeah i know tyrell's not dead, but from elliot pov we learn that elliot killed him so it's implied he's in prison for murder even though elliot's not a reliable narrator it's still the only info we're given from why he could be in prison.

But yeah i guess it makes some sense and the early episodes did a good job working with the twist (with the routine, basket ball game, lunch, when elliot was talking with other character outside the prison at the table, etc).

But still, it feels like they were looking for an other twist to do this season. It's cheap and i don't like it.

>But still, it feels like they were looking for an other twist to do this season. It's cheap and i don't like it.

i mean, next time we'll learn angela is an assassin for the dark army and at the end of the series we'll see that elliot was in a coma after OD on morphin with his neighbors girlfriend-dealer.
And then they'll do an extra season because of the money when we'll see that it was all a dream from the beginning and mario will wake up wet as shit. And just go make himself a sandwich.

i call bs on angela working for an it security company but needs to be instructed on how to use a livecd and the terminal

What do people like about this shit show? Nothing in it is real, it's like Ocean's 11 The Geek Version

Angela is pretty ugly. Hot, but ugly.

Most things on TV aren't real. Doesn't mean it's not interesting for some people to watch them.

Most of Sup Forums, specifically, probably personally identifies with Elliot (programmer, hacker, GNU/Linux-user etc.), so it makes this show more relatable and interesting to watch.

>Most things on TV aren't real
Most things on TV are relatable to to real life, real events, or are at least entertaining. In Mr Robot there's none - the characters are worth of a cheap comic book, the hacking is lacking details to be interesting.

Dumb retarded edgy liberal show.

Nothing's realistic, watch Halt and Catch Fire if you want a decent tech show

>In Mr Robot there's none
To each his own. I find it entertaining.

That. Somehiw being a script instead of a program or an app makes it realistic. After all making an interface having one button and a progress bar is so fake.

Thaths because you are shallow pleb. You would be entertained by a 45 min spinning wheel

Cant help but think this show is uber shilled here

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/?task=search2&ghost=yes&search_text=mr robot&search_subject=&search_username=&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_media_hash=&search_op=op&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=post

Are you fucking retarded?
First of all stop pretending you would understand that leex_haxzor.py script even if it was shown.
Secondly, this is a tv show made to make money and to appeal to masses not to programmers and hackers because they dont waste time watching tv brainwashing shows for kids.

None of it

Are you fucking retarded?
How what I wrote is different to what you say? This "hacker" show is using the same one-click-hack technique that other shows do albeit slightly different. Yet people say this is more realistic.

Remember that time when Elliott just stepped in an elevator and walked to the Steel Mountain's restricted floor? There were no guards, security cameras, nothing. He just walked right in there and not a single person bothered to even look at him except Tyrell, but that happened in the bathroom.
youtu.be/Xnvqcz5lMiI

It literally shows Elliot writing the script he used to exploit the Android zero day.

You are either truly fucking retarded or don't actually watch the show.

So I see you're using gnome

> ray was a warden or a worker in the prisoner
This is the only plausible explanation but was that ever hinted at in the show?

In reality on man has as many specializations as he has.

>doesn't know mr robot is BSing about tyrell being dead

dude can you not just watch something for an hour and stop everything else? is that so hard for you?

>twist

EVERYONE who goes on the INTERNET to discuss this show after each episode, came up with the prison/mental institution theory after ep 1 of s2

it was pretty much a twist hidden in plain sight, too obvious for the normies to believe it. the real twist is that leon works with whiterose and that the dark army is keeping an eye on elliot.

Question.

I don't watch TV.

Is this worth watching over reading a book?

Stay mad, faggot while enjoy my show.

No

Keep reading books only and thinking you're hip

If watching TV turns me into a nigger like you, I guess I will stick to books.

Thanks fuckhead.

Can they hack the polls and let Jeb win?

It's sad watching this scene at July.

Somebody is mad

Did I burst your intellectual bubble? :^)

I want to throat fuck Angela while she fingers my ass. :3

no this shit sucks, i mean some books suck, but this show definitely sucks

my guess would be captain of the guards as he bosses the others goons around. not too sure about a captain having a computer but the warden obviously would. something i didnt think about was that the basement they put him in would of been solitary confinement

>doesn't know mr robot is BSing about tyrell being dead
>dude can you not just watch something for an hour and stop everything else? is that so hard for you?

I think you can read can you ? I know mr robot is BSing about tyrell. What part of "i know tyrell's not dead" made you think i believe mr robot on that ?

>it was pretty much a twist hidden in plain sight
that's how you write a twist dude.

In the last episodes, angela us a Rubber Ducky, which is a real thing that simulate keyboard firmware to type a set of inputs.

usbrubberducky.com/#!index.md

I'm a real h4x0r so it's all true

If they made hacking real, it would be extremely boring.

At least the writers made an effort to research or have consultants than CIS and most Hollywood productions where the hacker mashes their fingers at the keyboard before a huge ACCESS GRANTED text flashes on the screen

Why did they show them using kali last couple of episodes? Wouldn't hackers of their caliber use LFS with the latest packages available?

>realistic
yep, we talk to ALF all the time.

Everything in the show is real, its just they have to take mad libs for the execution of plans and time allotted because it would take for fucking ever to pull it all off.

A lot of the situations are far-fetched, but very plausible, makes for great telly.

The command line stuff is legit but there are also subtle easter eggs. For example, the main character looks like Pepe.

>hacking whole prison's intranet by Bluesniff

zoz

This show is about as realistic as it gets! No, seriously though, it's actually pretty fucking close to reality.

Anybody who argues against this show is legitimately fucking retarded.

Was she even in a tech position in Allsafe?

It is all real.
The news is lying to you.

Halt and Catch Fire is feminist dogshit

one of the owners of the irl silk road was a prison guard, Ray is shown to be one of the owners of the in-universe silk road.

All of it. Especially the secret societies and smart people are crazy bits.

u u
u u

Fuck it, Sup Forums

I might finally give this a view

>I don't think they're allowed in a male pen.
They are. My mother in-law worked as a prison guard. One of her female co-workers was a victim of a throat slashing. I'm surprised females are allowed in male prisons but I guess that's part of the whole equality thing.

Why is it so hip on Sup Forums to hate on popular shows?

> What's a rootkit?

It's "hip" everywhere to hate on anything popular.

Most of Sup Forums are autistic basement dwelling societal rejects, so they hate on anything that is popular because they consider the rest of society to be the enemy.

There was security and guards, it's only he managed to bullshit his way past reception and intimidated the other dude to get past. The hard sell was the hacker bros cooking up and bunch of social media and articles making "Elliot" out to be some big shot rich company man.

Yeah, every person I meet sure hate Game of Thrones.
Oh wait..

I liked their use of a raspberry pie, but how did they connect to it? Wouldn't their network administer notice it?

They literally stole half the story from fight club.

>"Angela, I'm FBI."
What did she mean by this?

I want to fuck her autistic face

f*cking epic XD

Her hair is gorgeous.

She meant that Angela does not get to bring friends.

You're not the only one here wanting to do that :^)

I don't think the network admin can see the status of the thermostat.
The RPi was hardwired in to raise the temp and physically corrupt the tapes.

tribute != stealing

Wut

Don't provide answers to questions you don't fully understand

Fish eyes...

>believing what mr robot says

It's accurate in that hackers apparently use Gnome and KDE

she is even worse now

yes, during all of the season
rewatch it

It's a really, really dumb show which happens to get quite a few technical details right.

A while ago there was a British guy in the news who was in prison for cc fraud and almost hacked his way out. IT security is shitty, it's probably even worse in reality than in tv

It's as realistic as you can possibly expect from a TV show. Obviously they can't present real exploits and whatever.

Still, the TV show went to complete boring shit in the second season. Completely lost focus.

Why's Sup Forums so triggered by this show?

What does Sup Forums think of Mr. Robot?

If you want a realistic representation of hacking, go watch that Angelina Jolie documentary Hackers. The follow up doc isn't that great.

It's not too bad. He started writing a nginx config file last time.

Wait, does it not get better in the second season?

I just finished the first season and it feels like it already dropped the ball in the last third.

First time I saw female masturbation on TV. True story.

The thermostat and a network connection via Ethernet meaning it phoned home, so taking it off the wall and stuff a Pi in the back to hijack the connection worked wonders.

I don't know if it was exposed to the internet or the crew had some other way of accessing the Pi, but it was a like a backdoor right into Steel Mountain's network.

Besides who the fuck has time to check on air conditioning? Most AC is old and crusty with super shitty security built in.

She looks like shit in both seasons.