Is HDR(high dynamic range) a meme?

is HDR(high dynamic range) a meme?

Looks to me like HDR pixellates orange colours. Meme.

Yes and no.

It's a real thing and it can be used in some occasions to make the picture subjectively better.
It's not some good/bad switch where you just use it in any picture to make it better.

Fuck you

please elaborate

The picture on the right is just oversaturated

HDR in photography is often misused to give an oversaturated artificial look with lots of blooming. HDR when done correctly improves the difference between light and shade. Skies are not blown out and shadows reveal detail that would otherwise bee in the dark.

I think it looks like shit really.

No, people are just idiots.

No, however it doesn't make sense to view HDR pictures on a non-HDR screen. It's like trying to compare color and grayscale pictures on a grayscale screen.

Well how the fuck do you show a sample of an HDR image on a non-HDR display? It's like trying to show a wider color gamut than what your monitor is capable of.

dynamic range is a great thing
"hdr" is cancer

That's what makes HDR look bad.

fucking pictures up in photoshop isn't hdr
you won't get pictures like that when you do actal hdr and combine pics taken at different exposure levels

HDR means High Dynamic Range.

Take your smartphone out, turn off HDR, take a picture of something in front of a bright window. Either the stuff inside is visible and the window blindingly bright or the stuff outside is visible and the stuff inside is too dark. Now turn HDR back on and try it again. Not a meme, just another tool to help novice photographers.

Your picture displays this somewhat, just not enough for the idiots in this thread to understand what's going on.

I use hdr when a shot cant be exposed properly in one image

Yes, but only because people don't know how to do this right.
They think it's just a cool slider in photoshop.

and yeah i know its a shit example but like said you can kinda see the point with the lamp

I'm I was about to thank you for posting a clearer example. Hopefully the other anons will Google what it is now and stop giving an uninformed opinion.

Yeah most people just fuck their shit up with tone mapping, and like
the clouds are the darkest God damn thing. When her is done right, you shouldn't be sure it was done at all.

Which headphones are those?
Which speakers?

Picture/object frames are cluttered, looks like shit. The two bottom objecr frames are horizontally lined up, but the third one is not lined up vertically, looks like a mess.

Fix it.

Not really the thread for this but Audio-Technica A-900x and Paradigm Titan v.6 monitors

Just got woods floors put in and am moving my Battlestation to its own room. Stay tuned to future bst threads

Isn't HDR just a fancy term for 10 bits per chanel?

You (or your parents) must be loaded

I use a high end 4k screen with quantum dot (12 bit color) and HDR with all the memes
RGB
YCBCR 420 442 or 444
YCBCR has a palette which allows a broader nuance and blending of colors
there's a nvidia driver which allowed dynamic contrast enhancement, 359.06, feature disappeared
In gaming, ambient occlusion (SSAO or HBAO+) is HDR separately processed without introducing much latency by a separate octacore processor. (called HDRR in games but already supported)

in video use, HDR adds to depth (you have these multi layering processes, foreground, midground, background) the local area dimming matters.

LED - local area dimming - you have independent areas of lighting, the more the better
FALD - full array local area dimming, the whole screen is independently lit and the processor lights the pixels independently
OLED - the deepest blacks where the pixels light up indepently and are "organic", instead of being an electric diode, the pixel lights up on it's own, I might be mistaken, this is just on the top of my head

FALD consumes alot more electricity then LED and OLED is developing quite fast, it's not really suitable for I'd say fast motion since OLED is still being developed but gives definitely, the best picture but it's still too early because of latency. there's some controversy as well with regard to FALD vs OLED since OLED have absolute independency of pixels and FALD nuances the breadth of illumination

TL;DR HDR in video or games matter depending on your content

>s HDR(high dynamic range) a meme?
It can get rid of whited out and blacked out areas and preserve details in certain cases.

People jus don't know how to use it.

Picrelated is good use of HDR

Its also bad use of exposure.
Picture on the left should of never existed in the first place.

hdr always looks like shit

Ultimately HDR is a way of decreasing contrast without losing quality and color information.

It takes dark details from the light ictue and light details from the bright picture. combining them into one picture without losing either dorks or brights

Photo taken with HDR off yesterday when testing it out.

Will upload photo taken with hdr too

And here's a photo of the same wall taken with hdr enabled.

Using the camera in my redmi 3 pro btw.

>Picture on the left should of never existed in the first place.
Photographer had an option between getting blacked out shadows or whited out light.

The big problem i that there's only 256 leveld of brightness and the color information is getting lost near black and near white.

>it takes the dark from the light
>it takes the light from the bright
>combined into one picture

deep

you are so dumb, it hurts

this is a stipid way of using HDR
You just don't need to use it there.

Also it's dumb to rely on stupid auto, real men take 3 from tripod and combine them manually.

Picrelated is when you need it

I want to go back in time and kill the person wh came up with idea to put a camera into the phone.

nice meme; now someone must make an elaborate copypasta

It is really hard to find a good use of HDR to save exposure in the sea of ugly shit from photo niggers like this

But there is a legin use for HDR picrelated

It's convenient.

When you need good photos you'll take your camera with you, but when it's a point and shoot scenario a smartphone is good enough.

Also HDR makes night shots much nicer as long as I can keep the device steady.

Here's same pic without hdr for another comparison.

None of that looks expensive.

or the problem is that photograph took way too dark image that cannot be brightened up as there is not much info of that in RAW format.

why should a tv need a processor to produce this image
this sounds more like the production crew's responsibility to not use shitty cameras and know how to light things
there's only so litte you can do to post-process an image

>should of
>should
>of
You should have never existed in the first place
Kill yourself

so, HDR is just metering mode?
Really all this image shows is that exposure dial was tweaked.

More exposure would whitewash direct sunlight recieving areas.

So HDR basicly
>get a blacked out and a whited out picture
>combine remaining color information from both
>get an image without losses

> and
Is.. is that monitor shoped?

Fug mang

Sometimes the camera just cannot capture THE RANGE of the scene, so you use DYNAMIC RANGE.
If you want to see both something bright and something dark in one picture you take a high exposure picture (left notice whitewashed sky) and low exposure picture right (blacked out city) and combine them.

>left right
Fuck, i confused left and right

>Really all this image shows is that exposure dial was tweaked.
No.
If you just increase exposure the sky wil get whitewashed.

Oh I know how HDRI is done but what about actual cinematography?

HDRI is also usually taken with different exposure rates to give dark places some light, not by adjusting exposure rate, because you want picture to be as consistent as possible.

Exposure time instead of first exposure rate, got damn it.

That's not even what HDR is

Real HDR with OLED screens is actually pretty neat.

BUT HOW DOES IT WORK!!!

Controlling the brightness on individual pixels

Try

You still only have 256 levels of brightness in your color informaton.

All those gimmicks just increase the conrast and deepen the dark areas but are not ading any actual detail to the image.

You're absolutely right, the camera I took the shot with is the most expensive thing there.

That is how oled display work, how does HDR work.

I did a shitty job of darkening it in gimp

It's more than most people under 30 I know can afford - and I assume Sup Forums to be mostly under 30. Rents are high and jobs are in low supply, so most people just don't have the disposable income. The HOTAS alone is $250. There's probably 7 or 8 thou worth of stuff in that picture.

The "with HDR" side looks unrealistic, over saturated. The "without HDR" side looks more realistic.

Basically the "with HDR" side looks like everything that is wrong with how people are using HDR. Fuck them.

100% homosex.

because you don't have a partner, just wait until you will move in with a whiny bitch that only wants money to be spend on her.

Normies
get
out

nasa's latest HDR camera is quite neat. it shows pretty clearly that HDR is useful sometimes.

HDR adds so much more emotion and chicks love it

The samurai image on the bottom OC

I wish I did, because that would let me move into a nice place while paying the same.

r9k pls

That just looks more like different exposure.

is this hawaii

>moar emotion HUR DUR FRESIUGNSRUNGIBSRUGOSRG
Please fuck off.

>curved screen

Just how many memes can you fall for at once?

go on a beach and watch sunset or sunrise, you'll know what I'm talking about

Sorry m8, but light and emotion are two seperate things.
The sun does not emit "emotion rays"
If watching the sun set actually has an impact on your emotion, you need serious help.
Monitors emit light, they don't "emit emotion" as you apparently believe.

You seriously need to fuck off right now and take your terminal cancer with you.

This isn't the case of you shoot on RAW. A 14 bit RAW can have 16,384 brightness levels.

HDR affects light

Light can influence emotion and mood

Therefore HDR can influence emotion and mood

Aside from objectivity, an image may be subjectively pleasing from a variation of light, whether natural or artificial

This makes me realize in ways that HDR is akin to an equalizer in audio

For photography, no, for your TV, yes.
>Pic related, HDR.

>present day
>present time
>engaging with the opposite sex
It's 2016, you're supposed to blast all your cash on consumer electronics. That's why Sup Forums exists. Soon enough we will transcend onto the virtual age anyway.

No HDR is too much HDR!