Could we have a discussion about motherboard brands and your experience?

Could we have a discussion about motherboard brands and your experience?

Personally
I've had great experiences with
Asus
MSI
Foxconn (Power Macintosh and Mac Pro)
Biostar (strangely enough)

Okay experience:
Gigabyte

Terrible experience:
Asrock
SiS

Not tried:
EVGA
Supermicro

MSI all the way

asrock doesn't have GAYMEN G1 FTW on it so it is by default better

MSi is the best

asus is okay

assrock is awful. I've got an assrock motherboard, it freezes up when you try to get into the bios.

evga looks the best
also best warranty

>not knowing the asrock fatal1ty gamen mobo series
Literally every oem has a gamen line

not funny stealing my op name.

The first time I bought an Asrock motherboard, I had a terrible experience with it. As also experienced, I have trouble getting into the BIOS.

BEST
Gigabyte
Random chink shit
Dell/prebuilt shit
ASRock

OKAY
ASUS

WORST
MSI

Supermicro server/workstation boards are the best boards out there. Asus WS boards are decent, too. GAYM1NG shit can fuck off.

>fatal1ty
who

asrock is the only one whos flagship is not gaymen

>too stupid to use a bios

The motherboard literally freezes when you're browsing through the bios. No settings changed. Even when you reset the damn thing

God tier:
Supermicro
I have one with ISA slots that still works.

Good tier:
EVGA

Okay tier:
Gigabyte

Ass tier:
Foxconn
AssRock

I've had problems with assrock too OP. That's what you get for buying the cheapest make. Buy Asus or MSI.

Great:
MSI
ASUS
Gigabyte
DFI
ABIT
EPoX

Okay:
PCChips
ECS

Terrible:
ASRock
Chaintech

OH SHIT NIGGER WHAT ARE YOU DOING:
Biostar

Underrated post with nice dubs

>asus shills

MSI is shit. Always breaks after a few months

I use ASRock for all my builds, mostly because they tend to be the cheapest and I've never had any problems*

* well, I'm having shitty BIOS some problem with my EP2C602 but the alternatives are stupidly expensive so I'll put up with them

DELL MASTER RACE

In my experience supermicro is pretty bombproof. I had a 755 board and that thing ran w/o a hiccup for years.

I'm currently running an MSI that's been pretty good, though I don't like some of the extra "features" on the bios, so I don't install them.

Those are my top two brands. Now for the others.

I have an asus board for my LAN box that didn't come with drivers for the wireless card on it. It was the weirdest damn thing, I spent the better part of a day scouring the internet for a solution before finally just downloading the drivers from a laptop forum (There are only like three companies that make wireless cards, so you just find out which OEM makes it and DL their drivers). It was janky, but it works fine now.

My first build was with Gigabyte. Not only did the chipset not work properly (Some features just flat out didn't work) but the RAM modules were fucked and caused the system to crash when playing games.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to flash. The flashier the board, the more hesitant I am to buy it now. Supermicro seems pretty dedicated to cranking out boards that are functional, and I like that. I don't need a bunch of gaudy LEDs embedded into the board.

I've had a DOA msi mobo. Replaced with an ASrock one because that was what was available at the moment, got 0 issue and came out cheaper.

I've had the best overclocking and stability from EVGA, but MSI and Asus have better feature sets

>In my experience supermicro is pretty bombproof.
Is there a supermicro Dual LGA 2011 support that uses square ILM mounting instead of narrow ILM?

(I ask because my HSFs only come with brackets for square ILMs)

>asus shills

Just because I listed ASUS doesn't exactly mean I use it all the time.

Biostar is 50/50, sometimes they're shit, other times they're great
They make a hybrid size Itx/mATX board specifically for the Pentium G3258 and over clocking it

I think the SUPERMICRO MBD-X9DRL-3F-O is exactly that. It looks to have the square mounting.

Asus Signature all the way, non-gaymen

Intel - full intel

Otherwise EVGA, stands out

With core 2 duo, i remember msi had the coolest running vrms because of drmos and asus had a shitload of phases on their deluxe boards, so they could overclock the best.

But I'm not sure what's best now. MSI seems like a bunch of gamer bullshit now, so maybe asus?

More like SuperMicroPenis

wew lad

Biostar pls leave

>all these anons saying ASRock is shit
works on my machine, maybe you should just become a computer genius like me.

ASRock is hit or miss. I honestly had two motherboards work fine (775V88+ and P4VM800) while some will simply die without signs. (had this happen with a ALiveNF7G-HDready)

Oh boohoo, this Pajeet that can barely make a comprehendable English sentence, can't afford a decent MSI 250$ board. Fucking kill yourself in your third world shit hole country, I hope Pakistan fucks your place up.

>Didn't even list asus in my post
>Still calls me an SNSV shill

Good experience
Z97e itx asrock

Worst experience
MSI Z87 GD65

>Supermicro
I have a X9DAE with a boot up password set in the BIOS. Some how it manages to fuck up occasionally and will not accept the password forcing you to reboot it. Also you can't use any of the USB3 ports with a keyboard in the BIOS, you have to make sure its plugged in to a USB2 port. Last BIOS update was in 2014 so I guess these bug will never get fixed, which is disappointing considering how expensive this board was.

X9DAE, also has a Nvidia SLI license

Boards I've used

>asus
great all around

>gigabyte
kinda ugly but it's all work and no bullshit. gives me an enterprise vibe.

>asrock
it works but the driver and support pages are full of engrish

>evga
Constant fuck ups. great customer service, but constant non stop stream of headaches.

Cant find a 2011s mobo anywhere that doesnt cost like 500 bux

Ah yes, although that doesn't seem to have any x16 PCI-Express slots.

The one I got (ASRock EP2C602) was 300€, and for this price I got:

- 5x PCI-express 3.0 x16 slots
- 1x PCI + 1x PCI-e x1
- 6x S-ATA 6 Gbps ports
- 8x S-ATA 3 Gbps ports
- 2x 1GbE ports

Of these, I personally need space for at least 3 PCI-e expansion cards (ideally 4+), at least 10 S-ATA ports (of which I need at least 2 at 6 Gbps), plus the square ILM and at least 8 slots for DIMMs.

I'm not sure if Supermicro has anthing covering all of these requirements and even if it does, it's probably going to be stupidly expensive.

Closest I found was the X9DRi-F which is pretty much only missing the right mounting brackets...

>X9DAE, also has a Nvidia SLI license
Oh neat, that one seems like it covers my use case My standard retailer doesn't stock it though, amazon.de lists it as 660€. Sort of expensive compared to the 300€ ASRock board I got, but I'll consider it as a replacement in case I ever have to send the EP2C602 back for whatever reason.

should i be thinking about upgradan my motherboard. dont wanna wait til she dies in her sleep

>build pc for cousin
>using gigabyte mobo
>DOA twice in a row
>refund and get MSI
>just werks
ive stuck to MSI in every build just because it gives me a little more confidence that it wont be DOA

From personal experience I've always had way WAY better experiences with Gigabyte boards.

Worst experience was with an MSI board.

Most big companies will make good and shit boards though so it's all luck of the draw at the time really.

>I have one with ISA slots that still works.
what model exactly?

>EPoX
Nice bait. Had a dual Pentium III back in the day. Pretty well made, but they don't exist anymore.

What's the advantage of UEFI over BIOS?

Used ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte and Asrock in my own builds over the years. Never had any problems with any.

You're unlucky if you have something like a motherboard shit out on you. If you've had multiple issues you're probably an autist.

There are a few technical advantages. For the average user - it looks nicer and you can use your mouse generally.

P4SCA
It's not really an ISA-era board, just has ISA slots for legacy HW.

>msi mobo
>new video card
>errors on boot
>flash bios
>boot up
>something's not right
>check temperatures
>CPU at over 90C
>wtf happened
>summon google
>bios update included an incompatible intel shit update
>wrong voltage supplied to the CPU
>impossible to downgrade
>impossible to adjust voltage

And this is the story of how I got myself a proper case with a heat sink large enough for a car. The mounting holes are slightly undersized too.

Never had an issue with gigabyte anything and that's what my upgrade will be.

>Pretty well made, but they don't exist anymore.It was obivious,because of DFI and ABIT. DFI still does industrial stuff but ABIT doesn't exist anymore. (because of the BP6 lawsuit). I think the same goes for Chaintech,but ECS still does motherboards (and gaming motherboards to be exact)

Asus, MSI, Gigabyte: great experience, feel like premium products.

Asrock: Hardware seems OK, but driver installation program tried to also install shitware.
Ended up installing each driver separately instead of using their tool, which worked fine.
So in the end no real issues, but it did feel like Asrock wanted to fuck me over so I don't trust them and won't buy from them again.

Rare tier:
Soltek

rip epox

I've only ever used Asus and ASRock for the few builds I've made. The two Asus motherboards I've had were really good. I bought an ASRock for my latest build and the BIOS issues drive me crazy. I'm going with Gigabyte or MSI next time around to try something new.

Used Gigabyte and Asus for my last few builds. No complaints from either. The Asus eventually decided to kill itself along with my CPU, but it lasted for like 5 years so whatever.

best:
asus csi boards
gigabyte
msi

shit:
foxconn bloodrage x58 (still have nightmares from this shit and watercooling)

obviously rare. they're no longer in business.

Gigabyte has never given me problems. The last MSI motherboard that I had didn't work with literally any USB devices I had. I've just stuck with Gigabyte ever since.

Does anyone know how Supermicro consumer boards are? I see a lot of people saying their server boards are amazing

No one can compete with EVGA hands down, but a far away second best would be gigabyte for me, I still have a gb motherboard from 6 or so years ago that works without any problems. MSI is supposed to be ok, Asus is shit unless you buy RoG stuff, supposedly they have a different customer support department for those than for the rest of their shit, and Asrock is just no, because it's from asus except their bottom of the barrel stuff.

True dat
Using a Gigabyte Mobo from 2011 with a i7 2600k
No problems

I did a build with a Socket 754 CPU a few months back. Here's a picture. Radeon HD3450 GPU by the way.

>that sad moment when I threw away my EP-4PLA3I (i848P - basically single channel 865P with SATA and all that) because of bad caps
Fuck my life. It was one of the coolest EPoX boards I've seen. It also had special EPA logos (the Energy Star thingy you'd see on AWARD BIOS) that showed what CPU you had installed and the temps.

Asus is the best because they're the only ones who use full International Rectifier on their high-end boards. Other brands like ASRock, Gigabyte, MSI etc. cheap out and use low quality brands.

Not sure what you're trying to say. Is a mobo that runs for 5 years something of an accomplishment?

>because it's from asus
This isn't true anymore

>Asrock is just no, because it's from asus except their bottom of the barrel stuff.

They have been a separate company for quite some time now.

EVGA reuses nVidia's reference boards if I remember correctly. I might be wrong though.

We're talking about EVGA motherboards, not video cards.

Fucking retard.

I know that,fucktard. What I'm saying is that they reuse nVidia's reference motherboads, reverse retard that you are.

And to add this one of their boards' BIOS (nForce 780i) was engineered by ex-Epox engineers.

>because of bad caps
you can replace those you know

Back when I had it I didn't know about them. I found that a few years later.

Whats wrong with Biostar, while my main machines use ASUS mobos mostly, i still have 2 Socket FM1 machines with Biostar mobos and they still work fine after 4-5 years, no issues with those mobos

>Whats wrong with Biostar

The last Biostar motherboard I used wouldn't even let me install Windows. Literally would freeze while installing XP. K8M800-M7A if this helps. That and they have a trashcan-tier selection of caps.

I'm used to buying Asus mobos, because everyone recommends them all the time.
Recently I have godawful experiences with them. Asus support sucks ass, they drop support for products pretty quickly, 2 year old Z87Pro doesn't have Windows 10 support, and fanXpers is available only in their AI suite. So it's stability vs Fan control, Speedfan reads wild numbers on this Mobo. USB ports work strangely too, some of them don't work properly after a reboot. Again, ASUS support is pure shit
My second PC with Sandy and P8P67Evo died recently, apparently it's a know issue, this mobo kills CPUs because of design flaw. Asus didn't do shit about it.

My next mobo will be anything but ASUS.

Good:
Gigabyte
ASRock

Bad:
Asus
MSI

I've been using a variety of brands at work, all of them have been shit. But I think it's mostly down to everything playing silly buggers with ddr4.

Had gigabyte arrive doa.

Asrock originally didn't work with 4 channel memory, does now but will blue screen a couple of programs out of the blue after running them for days on end, some times black screens when trying to enter bios and doesn't overclock at all.

Asus z170s were good, but the third one we got won't even post if you put a second 16gb memory stick in it.

supermicro and evga are not available for the specs I want them. Haven't tried an MSI yet, but I think in the past msi was the first mobo I had break on me, but back in a64x2 days.

Fondly remember DFI though and the sexy ATI rad and white motherboards.

So we can all agree with OP that ASSROCK is the worst yes?

Biostar used to be top tier in the early 2000s with their AMD athlon xp stuff.

Gus:
Asrock
Gigabyte

Meh tier:
EVGA
MSI

Haven't used tier:
Everything else

My mobo tier list:

Good:
Gigabyte
ASRock
Fujitsu

OK:
DFI
Supermicro
EVGA

Bad:
ASUS
MSI

>Misspell good as goos and it changes it to gus
Fugging fone

that shitty font(calibri?) they use on their boards ruins it for me

Great experiences, over one MB, never had a single defect out of the box, or anything going wrong while I was using it
DFI
EPoX
ECS

Okay, over one MB, only ever had minor issues
ASUS

Shit tier, over one MB too many times they've had defects on arrival
GIGABYTE

Beyond shit tier, always developed problems or outright died on me
ASRock

>ASRock
Owned 1 and used 3 in family builds
All of them are still in working condition
>Gigabyte
2 owned with my current board being 1 of them.
>MSI
Owned 1 which I had to RMA.
Came back with similar issues, so I had my friend sell it on Craigslist for me.

you need professional help

My last asRock mobo had static on the audio which kinda sucked. I've been very pleased with my Asus mobo

With the consumer grade motherboards you pretty much get what you pay for:

Good quality hardware, more expensive:
- EVGA
- Asus

Medium/bad quality, cheaper:
- MSI
- Gigabyte
- ASRock

Pretty much all of them have horrible support in Europe. RMA'ing takes 4+ weeks if the shop you bought it from doesn't replace it but relies on the manufacturers.

I prefer EVGA and Asus also because their consumer boards often support advanced features the others don't. Also I haven't yet noticed them pulling shit like making a second revision motherboard with cheaper parts (FCKING GIGABYTE) and selling it as the same product.

I got an amd Radeon HD 5700 is that any good

It's from 2010, so a bit dated.

I remember building it with my dad around then, at the time it was pretty fuckin dope rig. I can play rust on it though so that's cool.

My MSI, ASrock, ASUS and EVGA boards have never had any issues.

I guess the only problem I've had is my old asrock z77 extreme 3 wasnt full ATX, it was slightly narrower than ATX despite being marketed as ATX.

But for 100 dollars shipped it was pretty good. Got my 3570k to 4.9ghz no problems and never had issues with ram.

Gigabyte mainboard had bent pins. Next one I'll buy will be EVGA because it looks best and isnt shitty red/black.

There is probably a 1% difference in all of the brands reliability nowadays. Never has any issues with asrock, but my MSI board had to be rma'd twice in it's lifetime due to BIOS and USB issues.
Everyone shits on asrock, but they use nice parts and are solid today. Everyone else is just loosing in the quality department it seems.

Asus is the best.

Asrock is alright, MSI was alright, gigabyte is shit.
Next board will be an asus or an EVGA.

msi p45 neo3 fr
>no independent memory clock
>fsb overclock to something crazy like 800mhz (who the fuck would need that)
>made a nice overclock board for the time, still a good pc

asus p8z77v pro
>stable overclocks on 3570k and 3770k at like 4.4ghz i think? i forget what its even set and forget at
>the wifi antenna connector is tiny and shitty on this motherboard you have to be careful not to break it
>sli and crossfire capable if that shit ever actually works, it was not very good with gtx 660s when i tried it on a whim
>can use onboard and discrete graphics at the same time on this motherboard without any issues, thats a really nice plus
>it has appreciated in value since I bought it lol

>Supermicro
>Red and black cringy-ass mobo
Holy shit, Supermicro not doing green or blue boards

For me Supermicro are God Tier best boards i've had by far, MSI were great and Asus was OK

Only bad thing about asus is their """"smart"""" fan controller kills voltage to water pumps, you need to manually set it to 100% or your pump stalls and shit gets fucked.