Did anyone else have problems with pulseaudio?

>set to internal laptop speakers
works perfectly
>set to headphones
really odd sound in the headphones, like left is canceling out the right channel, similar to what it sounds like when you didn't put the jack all the way in.

is it a channel mapping problem in some cfg file?

Works fine here

>using Lennartware

what's wrong with it?

Not hipster enough

Does anybody *not* have problesm with pulseaudio?

Me

Count: 1

shitpost

shitpost

PulseAudio is extremely complex, poorly documented piece of software that only became the de facto standard because the OSS people were being retards.

Nobody needs DAW-level mixing capabilities at the OS level, but no, Lennart decided that's what Linux needs, at expense of simplicity __and__ response time.

>poorly documented
wew lad I wonder where you got dropped

so what's the alternative for someone new to linux and wanting to get his sound to work?

Pulseaudio is a piece of shit. I remove it from my system and set my headphones as the default device system wide, and then everything works, even the browser.

FUCK YOU POETTERING

>He sacrificed speakers for this
lmao

For someone new You can either use pulseaudio manager by sudo apt-get install paman, or removing everything pusleaudio from your system sudo apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio*, removing .asoundrc in your home, and asound.conf in /etc. Then you need to look at your available devices in /proc/asound/modules cat /proc/asound/modules, then arrange them in order in the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf, from -2 to 2, making the preferred output the lowest number. Then either restart the computer or reset modprobe.

>implying
You can have both.

just install pavucontrol if i ever have issues with alsa or pulseaudio, that shit has my back.

That shit is shit. Pulseaudio is shit, for new users and advanced users.

You seem very upset

ALSA works perfect. Why use pulseaudio?

With pulseaudio crap my friend, nothing personal.

To scare away newbies?

noob here.

pulseaudio came preinstalled.
removed pulseaudio but then of course the speaker icon was gone and I was pretty much lost, too. no sound.

You have two choices, either to reinstall pulseaudio and install paman, or completely purge pulseaudio and do this Noobs shouldn't have to deal with sound issues, and that is why pulseaudio sucks.

Works On My Machine

Configure the whore that ALSA is ONCE, and you've got a bitch for life.

Gangsta Style.

Lolol yea pavu is the best

>bizarre audio problems all over the place
>nothing works and cannot figure out why
>purge pulseaudio
>everything just works\tm how it should

same thing with systemd, but it's my entire system that's having problems not just the audio
poettering and associates are incompetent quacks

Tried uninstalling pulseaudio and now there's absolutely no sound, neither through the laptop speakers nor headphones while I unmuted shit in alsamixer.

So apparently I can only choose between pulseaudio with working speakers but broken garbled (only echoes from stereo) sound or ALSA with no sound at all.

$alsactl init
and/or
$alsa force-reload

You have to do and understand or you might have no sound in the browser, after that do or restart your computer.

Remember, you have to purge pulseaudio, identify your device in /proc/asound/modules, an add it to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf.

Her is my /proc/asound/modules
0 snd_usb_audio
1 snd_hda_intel
So I know I have two devices, I want the one that says usb because that is my headphon, so in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf I put
options snd_usb_audio enable=1 index=0
options snd_hda_intel index=1

hope that example helps

Thank you again.

Gonna try my luck another time now

It's 2016

Why are GNU/NEETs still fucking up audio?

Tried everything, nothing helped.

I looked around and it seems there are some bugs involved when using hardware with the broadwell-rt286 sound like my laptop has.

Fucking dammit.

Works fine on Slackware.

works for me

>not remove pulseaudio and recompile every package linked to it
pleb

>not chmod -x on the init script
plebbier

I enjoy an OS that still doesn't have a functional sound stack in the year of our lord 2016

Why can't you just use ALSA?

Said it earlier, ALSA is not working at all while Pulseaudio is still having fine speaker output. Seems quite a few people are having problems with the broadwell-rt286 and Linux.

Also, I don't get why the speaker playback is working fine while the headphone playback is doing this wired shit.

I also used "speaker-test -c6" with headphones and the noise was always in the middle and the rear ones were louder than the front channels, that was it.

Why the fuck is it not possible to copy everything from speaker output to headphone output.

Try doing a simple thing like setting the output to 96 KHz, which takes just a few clicks in Windows or OS X.

You will have to wade through pages after pages of documentation and Stack Overflow answers, and after 3 hours, you will have gotten nowhere.

Me.
What distro?

>wanting to do mixing in the kernel
>daw mixing
For that is JACK. Pulseaudio complies another different purpose

Different streams.
Power management
Having a sane API that doesn't depend of the monkeys at lkml

pulseaudio 9 broke the config of my second device (5.1).
I downgraded back to 8, because I'm too lazy to fix this...

cat /etc/pacman.conf | grep -E "^IgnorePkg"
IgnorePkg = libpulse pulseaudio

>using the neckbeard netinstall
That's your problem

Pulseaudio sucks ass, mainly because it still uses shitty ALSA.

OSSv4 was the last good readily avialble sound system on GNU/Linux that worked well with multi outputs and didn't sound like complete shit.

And also used floating point operations at kernel level.

More than worth it for having good features, decent API and great sounding audio quality.

The problem is that Linux can't manage the floating point operations correctly at kernel level. It cannot trap itself.

>using pulseaudio