Has another app went from being pretty successful to completely (and willingly) destroying itself for absolutely no...

Has another app went from being pretty successful to completely (and willingly) destroying itself for absolutely no reason?

Why would developers do such a thing to their app?

political correctness/Obama

What happened to yik yak? I remember using it quite happily a few years ago.

You used to be able to use it anonymously and you could set a base camp of your college in order to post with your community when you were away from campus

Newest update removed this feature so you can only post locally (resulting in useless app for many commuter students/students away for summer) and now you are required to use a handle.. Also added profiles that you can connect to other social media

Essentially went from a fun anonymous app into some sort of pseudofacebook

>>>/frigoff/

I don't know but I'm super pissed because it was a good way to interact with people on my campus with all the benefits of being anonymous. Now there's nothing and nobody is going to use it. Even the campus rep suggested that we look for alternatives.

Sounds like the chinks got to this one too.

>anonymous posting for easily triggered normies
Gee, what could have gone wrong?

I mean why go the opposite way of your original formula and then when faced with enormous backlash, ignore your userbase and post shitty memes on your twitter?

I cant understand this, its like they purposely wanted to destroy it.

It was really fun, normies get triggered easily

Stupid starposter

(you)

(You)

"I don't believe that. I have a feeling it has to stem from their founder leaving back in April. They took a lot of money to get the app up and running and investors were not given a return on their investment and the app was falling in popularity quickly.

My guess is the founder left when the investors pressed for these changes as opposed to becoming obsolete like yik yak was already becoming. The founder left and the investors has their way. I can't really blame them. As it is, yik yak would have been obsolete before the end of the year. This was their attempt at grasping at straws. Unfortunately for them, it looks like they just sped up their demise."

Something I just read poking around trying to figure out what the fuck happened with this app and it sounds pretty accurate.

What were they thinking?

Obsolete how? there's almost nothing like it.

Well this is Sup Forums. Maybe somebody should go make an app that will be what we wish Yik Yak was.

Nothing wrong with either. Also hate speech != free speech

they were thinking of making money. if you didn't pay for it you are the product continues to be accurate when it comes to apps and web services.

>Nothing wrong with either. Also hate speech != free speech

"Jodel" is the German clone, should work worldwide

oh but it didnt have "home bases" last time I used it

that's actually the app that made me write "almost". but is Jodel popular enough to kill YikYak? I like it a lot but my campus hasn't transitioned to anything yet.

it's a regional thing I suppose

nobody in Germany uses Yikyak, but Jodel is pretty popular with students

I don't think necessarily obsolete was the best choice. It's just going the path of losing popularity fast.