BSD And Other Things

/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, FreeNAS...

IRC -- #baot @ irc.rizon.net

News: dragonflydigest.com - undeadly.org - freebsdnews.com

Ask questions, get answers.

i don't understand why openbsd still sells CDs when apparently they've been doing it at a loss

this was probably necessary when dial-up was still common but still

It's neat, why stop? I'm going to start buying a set every release, probably going to pick up old sets for every version I've used too just because

i agree that it's neat but god damn

if i wanted to donate i'd send money directly to theo or the foundation

bsd is for cucks

Will you post this everyday?

He lives for BSD threads, I'm surprised it took him this long to find it.

every day until you learn to stop coming into linux threads, yes

>le cuck license
nobody gives a shit, the developers have a passion for unix and are having fun, the last thing on their mind is the software license

>Sup Forums is one person

not who you think i am, i'm just a guy hitting back at bsd shills for coming into linux threads with their bullshit. i'll post this and other anti-bsd images every time one of you chucklefucks does that btw.

GET OUT

>"you" can only refer to a singular, not plural
back to india with you, pajeet

We already have a very persistent shitposter, your contributions are not necessary.

only if you bsd shits stop coming in linux threads
deal? i don't even want to come into your cuck thread but i will just to punch your face in.

Kill yourself BSD cuck. You will be driven out of Sup Forums

Either way fuck off

Has it ever occurred to you that they shit up the Linux thread because of how much you Linux faggots shit up these ones? You're just making it even worse.

Good luck with that.

You deserve to be driven out of Sup Forums. Just like how the jews deserved to be killed for killing innocent germans, you deserve to be driven out of Sup Forums.

hey chill, they're Sup Forums as fuck, we don't want to drive them anywhere, they can have their threads as long as they don't shill their bullshit in linux threads. i don't mind bsd at all, freebsd is decent af.
yes it has, but the effect is worse in our larger threads because of the shit/signal ratio effect or something

Sure thing bud. Just do both threads a favor and stop posting.

Go fuck the air hole in a basketball, needle dick.

Please excuse , as a fellow linux user I apologise in his name, don't let his aggressive behaviour get to your and don't think the linux community is behind it. Have a nice day!

Oh shit I'm too late

well i don't post a lot anyway, i lurk and sometimes help retards out but then some anti-linux shithead comes in with his chucklefuckery and ruins it for everyone and it's not cool at all

don't worry about that other faggot, i like bsd and don't want you to go anywhere, stay on Sup Forums, just tell other bsd people not to behave like pajeets and niggers.

Get to you*

>BSD software can be legally relicensed under GPL
>BSD cuckolds will defend this cuckoldry

Fellow Linux master race, let's move back and leave /BSD/ alone

>BSD software can be legally relicensed under GPL
What's the issue? Can't stand the freedom?

they can fork it and license it back and the cycle repeats ad infinitum, what's your point, dipshit? i feel bad to even defend bsd, i'm leaving this dumb thread now. there are a fair amount of chucklefucks on both sides of the fence i guess.

No, nobody wants it and they're part of the cancer killing Sup Forums

/BSD/ > pile of shit > GPU theads

>shitposter says people discussing technology on a technology board are the cancer
top kek

fuck off retard. the cancer killing Sup Forums is
-consumerist cunts
-politics-loving cunts with their talk of sjws and trump and clinton

bsdfags are stupid for using a cuck OS but they're still bros, no one wants them gone except a dipshit like you who no one wants on Sup Forums anyway, fucking twat.

BSD cuckoldry and GPU threads are both cancerous and must be purged

Okay, kid.

GNU/BSD exists

This. There are 5 GPU threads made each eay, or at least it seems that way.

stop embarrassing people who use linux you fucking twatshite

>entire projects licensed under the GPL, not just the forks, can be hijacked by a bearded parrotfucking GNU/paedophile against the original author's will
>GNU cuckolds will defend this cuckoldry

Can some one actually explain the picture?

No, not even OC

How can I write random data or zero over all the free space on my disk? I'm running OpenBSD 5.9.

i see my comparison to barneyfag has been very apt

dd if=/dev/urandom > /dev/sd"XY"

On a scale from "1" to "Arch Linux", where "1" is very safe and "Arch Linux" is very unstable, how safe is it to do this on OpenBSD?

Have you tried dd'ing from /dev/zero the same amount of bytes as free space you have?

Haven't tried anything yet.

That is a keyboard-chair-interface metric, as always is when using dd

Just switch to Linux already

There's the shitposter I was waiting for. Go fuck a chainsaw sideways.

Nope, I actually want FreeBSD to become as mainstream as Linux

Then why shitpost in a BSD thread?

I'm not the only one who shitposts

He wants to write on the free space, not on everything

df will give you the free space amount
dd will take bytes from its if= parameter and shove them into its of= parameter or stdout

You want the target file to be a new file in a directory MOUNTED IN THE PARTITION, no the partition itself.

That doesn't answer my question.

My shitposts are indirectly "benificial". I'm surprised you can't distinguish my posts

Shitting up the thread is in no way beneficial.

beneficial*

You are the one who appears to have replied to the wrong post in this thread. Please consider pkg_add kys

$ df
Filesystem 512-blocks Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/wd0a 2057756 106500 1848372 5% /
/dev/wd0k 624161904 923440 592030376 0% /home
/dev/wd0d 8250780 128 7838116 0% /tmp
/dev/wd0f 4122108 745688 3170316 19% /usr
/dev/wd0g 2057756 429320 1525552 22% /usr/X11R6
/dev/wd0h 20636924 2247260 17357820 11% /usr/local
/dev/wd0j 4122108 4 3916000 0% /usr/obj
/dev/wd0i 4122108 4 3916000 0% /usr/src
/dev/wd0e 24286588 22324 23049936 0% /var
/dev/sd0i 61929920 49805344 12124576 80% /mnt/usb

we just need a friendly *BSD thread

these threads are always full of assholes

Anyone figure out how to make screenfetch-dev work without bash in ksh? I haven't looked at it

Take the partition you want to fill. The third column shows the free space in half-kiB's. Yell -k at df so it reports in full-kiB's instead, and grep it for the partition or mountpoint you want. For example:

df -k | grep /home

*fourth column, because I can't count

I have done some reading and I can't figure out how to keep track of package dependencies in OpenBSD. For instance if I installed xfce, pkg_delete has no option to remove all of the xfce components that are installed along with XFCE. How do you manage dependencies on your system?

I'm used to using aptitude which has features for keeping track of and removing dependencies btw

there's a reason dd is referred to as "Disk Destroyer" by some

Something like this?
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/wd0k/wellBehavedOperation.png bs=1M count=294157020

user is ded?

I converted wrong but what about the syntax

pkg_delete -a should remove all orphans

user isnt ded

Nope, something more like of=/home/bargagefile

Also you could use bs=1024 and you can take what df -k said without any conversion needed

this doesn't seem to work. I test it on VLC for instance. VLC installed a lot of dependencies and took some time.

After removing it with pkg_delete -a and then re-installing it, the dependencies were not re-installed (because they were not removed)

how do YOU manager your dependencies?

Thanks I will try it later

did you install something else that depends on those?

pkg_info could probably tell you something, but im not at home right now

no, this is a fresh install. I can test it on any package.

according to the man page for pkg_info
"-R Show which packages require a given package."

however running pkg_info -R packagename returns no results for any package I try.

How do you manage your packages? Do you manage your own dependencies?

no, openbsd does

i'll try what you're doing when i get back

You are my hero.

You are shitposting.

Fuck the BSD shitposter.

you've dodged my question three times now.

if you can't tell me off the top of your head how you get rid of un-needed dependencies, you don't remove them at all. that or you have been running pkg_remove -a, and assuming it removes your dependencies (you didn't check to see if it works.) according to man you need to flag the package as manually installed prior to removing it

# from man pkg_delete
-a Delete unused dependencies (packages that are not needed
by anything tagged as installed manually). Can be used
without pkgnames. If used with pkgnames, it will only
delete non manual installs in the list.

well that's confusing. i better figure out if pkg_add's default behavior is to tag newly installed packages as 'installed manually'

i forgot to mention i have to assume that is not pkg_add's default behavior, as pkg_remove -a is not removing dependencies for packages i have installed so far.. so now, how to tag them as manually installed.. lets see

Fuck off with your divide and conquer attempt.

are you retarded? i DO use pkg_delete -a and it has always worked for me

wew lad the name calling. it hasn't been working for you unless you are manually tagging your installed packages as 'manually installed'. it says it in the man page and i have tested it. how do you install packages? are you using a script?

As the shill apologized on /fglt/ I may as well. We don't really hate the BSD community, we just had a lot of anti-GNU shitposters in the past who shilled BSD.

Peace.

pkg_add is a script

as for the manual tag thing, that refers to the main package, not dependencies, automatic installs ARE the dependencies

>delete unused dependencies (packages that are not needed by anything ((tagged as installed manually))

are you tagging your packages as 'installed manually' in order to make pkg_delete -a work?

because pkg_add automatically tagging things as 'manually installed' does not appear to be default behavior on my system

i never had to tag anything as automatically installed

i think you mean *manually installed

i suggest you check to see if you have a lot of unused dependencies in that case. because on my system, the packages are not automatically tagged as "manually installed" by pkg_add apparently, because pkg_delete -a is not removing dependencies. this is a fresh install of 5.9

lol now im even more confused. i believe pkg_add should by default tag stuff you install as 'manually installed'

given that pkg_add a does this:
"-a Automated package installation; do not record packages as installed manually.
"

i didnt see anything that didnt belong but im not home

when you type "pkg_add xfce", the xfce package is the manually installed one, dependencies are automatic

so how do you tag all automatically installed dependencies as "manually installed"?

accomplishing that seems to be the only way to make
`pkg_delete -a` actually delete dependencies..

also, how do YOU manage your dependencies? assuming you aren't the other fellow I asked

no idea if you can do it all automatically, but there must be a way to mark one by one

i think the pkg tools can take some stuff from stdin, so maybe you could write a text file

SOLVED!

From manpage pkg_add:
"""
Manual installation

pkg_add differentiates between packages specified on the command line, and packages installed automatically because of inter-dependencies: the first kind will be tagged as `installed manually'. The -a option is used internally by the ports(7) infrastructure and dpb(1) to handle dependencies.

It is also possible to tweak the `installed manually' status of a package after the fact. Running pkg_add on an already installed package will tag it as `installed manually', even if it was already there as a dependency of something else, and doubling the -a option will remove the `installed manually' tag from installed packages.

pkg_info(1) can be used to show only manually-installed packages, and pkg_delete(1) can be used to remove dependencies when they are no longer needed.
"""

Alright.. So there is not way to manage dependencies by associating them with the package they were supporting. Running pkg_add on already installed dependencies would tag them as `installed manually` but would not help automate finding or removing them.

Best practice appears to be keeping a list (or checking your logs) for the dependencies you install and then manually removing them after you remove a package.

now where the hell is the log file that shows the activity of pkg_add

What are you trying to accomplish?

pkg_add foo adds foo and dependents bar and baz. foo will be marked as manual, bar and baz as automatic. pkg_delete foo will remove foo, leaving bar and baz. pkg_delete -a will then delete bar and baz - assuming nothing else is using them.

>now where the hell is the log file that shows the activity of pkg_add
/var/log/messages

but you don't need it, because of what said