All I want from an editor is that it detects which language I'm using and

All I want from an editor is that it detects which language I'm using and
>uses appropriate syntax coloring
>has some sort of "Find declaration" button that jumps to where a variable or function is defined
>can find obvious errors (like accessing myDictionary["myField"] where "myField" isn't a valid field for myDictionary).

I'm currently using Geany and this doesn't work by default, I know vim has every plugin under the moon so I thought instead of trying to find plugins for Geany or Gedit or whatever, I could just get into vim once and for all. Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

vim.org/6k/features.en.txt
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bump

kdevelop

Thanks

/thread

So you want vim?

Vim, that's the correct answer.

inb4 emacsfags shitpost itt

k-
that's not respecting my gnu phiilosophy

seek medical help

asap

Can vim do those things I listed though? Especially
>has some sort of "Find declaration" button that jumps to where a variable or function is defined
>can find obvious errors (like accessing myDictionary["myField"] where "myField" isn't a valid field for myDictionary).

Gedit does this but it's fairly featureless otherwise.

Eclipse with language plugins or the equivalent Jetbrains IDE.
But both of those are full blown IDEs and they're probably a lot more intensive than what you want. In which case, I'm also looking for something like this.
Basically, I'd like something that's lightweight, can catch compiler errors with good speed, and can suggest functions using existing variables and types.

Bingo, I'm not looking for something the size of Eclipse. I know there are great tools, but I want a general purpose editor that has basic IDE functionality.

VS is tucking great, but an overkill for op.

Or, is that vs code?

vim.org/6k/features.en.txt

Give VSCode a try. It's like atom but it doesn't suck dick.

What's wrong with visual studio? Why people still looking for something else all the time?

Is it FOSS?

BLOAT!

Yes (built in)
Yes (plugin)

No but it's free!
Not so bloated compared to other ide or modern text editors.

???

I'll probably go with this then, I needed an excuse to finally learn vim beyond :wq

CLion

I don't want to pay for an IDE and I don't need it enough to justify using those fake key schemes. I know Jetbrains has good IDEs because I use Webstorm at work, but it's not justified here.

For many languages, there's no editor/IDE that can do this, and there never will be. For some of them, you can use background compilation. Vim has the Syntastic plugin, and some others, that support this.

Notepad++. Use functions pane to jump to functions. Only thing not supported is number 4.

>Use functions pane to jump to functions.
Well Geany lets me do that too, I was thinking more of being able to set my cursor on a function/var, press a hotkey and jump to declaration, or hovering the mouse over a function would reveal its header.