Sup Forums OS thread

If the anonymous collective hivemind worked together to develop a new OS, what would it look like?

How would the code be licensed: GPL-style, BSD-style, or some kind of contrarian go-fuck-yourself license?

What would the kernel look like: monolithic (Linux, BSD), hybrid (HURD), microkernel (Minix3, L4)? Would it be forked or would we develop our own?

What kind of compatibility layers would it have: POSIX, Windows?

What would be the guiding principles for this OS: privacy, security, reliability, portability, performance, interoperability?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/TA9SXfrV
reddit.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

pastebin.com/TA9SXfrV

It would look like just a logo.

I'd make the logo

>If the anonymous collective hivemind worked together to develop a new OS, what would it look like?
It would have a GUI with one button.
When you press it a trollface appears on the screen and then it overwrites every firmware on the device with random garbage.

this is shit you should know before you decide to make an OS

wonder how small you can make a windows 10 base, then you could set it up so windows subsystem for linux goes straight into a gentoo chroot instead of explorer, now you have the ultimate gaming/shitposting OS

>win10 base
>ultimate os

Pick one.

>windows 10 base
Dropped

just trying to think of something that's not gentoo/arch fork #500

Make it win7 base at least and we can talk about that idea.

oh yeah, I forgot
>TLS implementation
Libressl instead of OpenSSL.

Wouldn't redistributing parts of windows violate the license...?

>Gentoo fork
Most of Sup Forums's operating systems are arch based.

I think the best choice would be to start making the logo.

>If the anonymous collective hivemind worked together to develop a new OS, what would it look like?
Depends on which parts of the hivemind have final say on things. It could vary wildly from something decent to a total shitshow filled with anime wallpapers from /d/.

>How would the code be licensed: GPL-style, BSD-style, or some kind of contrarian go-fuck-yourself license?
MIT or something close enough to it. Otherwise gtfo.

>What would the kernel look like: monolithic (Linux, BSD), hybrid (HURD), microkernel (Minix3, L4)? Would it be forked or would we develop our own?
Just use the Linux kernel for the time being. If Google's project had some new fangled kernel design, then we'd evaluate it then.

>What kind of compatibility layers would it have: POSIX, Windows?
POSIX is a must. Windows could be minimal but installable at the click of a button.

>What would be the guiding principles for this OS: privacy, security, reliability, portability, performance, interoperability?
The big reason an OS like this needs to exist is to capture the normie "I hate Windows 10 and am too cheap to buy a Mac" audience. Basically, market it as an aftermarket thing for their Best Buy shit tops.

There are already a thousand unixlikes, so if I were to make an OS, I'd try to make something new and unique.

>if I were to make an OS, I'd try to make something new and unique.
well, as others have said, let's start with the logo

>>>/reddit.com/
your meme isn't funny

do you even know why we are saying this?
Sup Forums has not, ever, done any successful collective projects

what about lo/g/os?
was that only one person, or was it multiple?

logos was DOA and not a successful project

>It would have a GUI
Doubtful

>a new OS, what would it look like?
>How would the code be licensed: GPL-style, BSD-style, or some kind of contrarian go-fuck-yourself license?
probabl inherit, who cares really?
>What would the kernel look like: monolithic (Linux, BSD), hybrid (HURD), microkernel (Minix3, L4)? Would it be forked or would we develop our own?
what are you talking? it would be linux
>What kind of compatibility layers would it have: POSIX, Windows?
to be useful should be linux, really what are you talking about? can you make an OS fully windows compatible and not being windows?
>What would be the guiding principles for this OS: privacy, security, reliability, portability, performance, interoperability?
>>privacy, security
is a most on every OS
>> reliability, performance, interoperability, portability
sure, is in the TODO

but it is user or do you really believe that this bunch of austistic neets can do anything else beyond a logo and worship RMS?

How else are you going to troll the average tech illiterate idiot into using it.

>average tech illiterate
Those are the people Sup Forums wouldnt want to use Sup Forums-OS

I'm not sure what would be the point. We have an embarrassment of Sup ForumsOS's to begin with.
There's, off the top of my head:
gentoo, templeos, 9front/9p, void, guix, lisp machines, Emacs, hurd, and openbsd.
All of which are heavilly shilled.
And that's not counting the crap like illumos, reactos, haiku, colibri or coreos, qubes, docker, or xen sandboxing/virtualization.
Sup Forums is to autistic for a single os.
Any user here is more likely to rice some sort of metadistribution with some combination elements of these various listed projects than to use a single monolithic memeos.

I don't know about the OS itself, but you know what? Our logo is going to be great. It's going to be fantastic. Our logo is going to be so good, it's going to win against all the other logos. We're gonna win so much you may even get tired of winning and you'll say please, please Sup Forumsentoomen, It's too much winning! We can't take it anymore!