Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/LandonPowell/DeviousYarn/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

both

which did you learn first?

both

whichever one is better for the job you're doing

do you have autism or are you a faggot

It depends, do you want your code to be at least a little fast? If yes, first. If you're an asshole, second

Both have different purposes, so you want to learn both.

Honestly I prefer the combination "Ruby + C". But C++ and Python also complement each other well.

i'm going with c++

usually unies start you with python.
python has it's uses, but the learning curve for c++ isn't too high right now, and i hear it's easyer to learn other languages from c++.
c++ is used in p much everything, it's a solid base imho

Are there things that C++ can do that Python can't?

Impress Sup Forums or make games: C++
Get a job or do anything quickly: Python

so in other words, C++ is worthless?

C#

not if you want to build a killer robot army
>>>/shills/

That's the wrong question. Every language can "do the same stuff".

Can you build a house with a pocket knife? Of course! But it will take you a damn long time.

Computer languages are tools, you pick the one that is the best for the Job. C++ has a lot of "optimized code" and you can optimize a lot of stuff yourself. Therefore you want to use it whenever you need high performance or big, data structures processing.
Python is not that optimized, but it consists of very high order functions, so you can devellop stuff much faster (less lines of code) than in C++.

If you want a programm that does "everyday tasks" or web stuff, you want to avoid boilerplate code and use Python. If you need high performance for your graphical calculation, you want C++.

thanks for that

Be fast and invoke suicidal tendencies, mainly.

both

If you know C++ you will know Python. Not the other way around.

Wrong. C++ lacks many expressive features of Python

These features can mostly be reproduced in C++, that's what I mean. Like some high-level libs made into a part of a language

Yes, but you will not know Python as you've claimed

Okay, "will understand" is more precise.

Python hands down. C++ is powerful but it's a clusterfuck and the programmers it attracts tend to be terrible.

Don't get me wrong; Python attracts a lot of shitty pajeets, but at least the Python community encourages script kiddies to do what they do best and copy somebody who did it better.

Just say :If you learn C++, you will know the logical thinking and structuring of most programming languages.

You won't know the syntax of all, but you will know HOW to program in the language

Protip homie: learn English before trying to learn any programming language.

>get a job, do anything serious
C++
>script to rename names on a folder
python

>script to rename names on a folder
>instead of rename folders

that just triggered me, fucking pajeet faggot

wew lad
my engrish is literally flawless

Python for everyday tech tasks:
- Webdev: Django is very well-integrated framework, but for people who can't stand how coupled it is, there is Flask and Django REST as an API end-point
- Hacking: Python is the goto because of rapid development and low-level networking modules
- Scripting: Obvious
- Complex mathematical/scientifical calculation: numpy/scipy
- bit-level image manipulation: Pillow

>rename names on a folder
>not rename folders
>not rename directories
Tech-illiterate detected

Oh forgot to mention it's also very popular for Machine learning and big data analysis for some reason. Machine learning I can grasp, but big data analysis is a new one, but every job I see with big data as a role, uses Python pretty much every time

"Memory is cheap, people are expensive"
: ^ )

In all seriousness though, most places handling large amounts of data would rather invest in more expensive hardwsre to run a relatively slow language at reasonable pace than pay some autistic neckbeard to maintain blazing fast esoteric assembly for the next three decades.

In the case of big data, most of the computation is done database-side, so a Python API is not that much of a hindrance. These large computations done in Python would take hours compared to C's minutes though, that I've seen from big data companies

Java.

lmfao

I lol'd

jesus if you think python is slow imagine the shit I used to deal with using R in a data analytics job

I love R and all and it's very good at what it does but christ is it slow

Pajeet tier shit, both of them.

What would you recommend?

"C"

visual basic

lmfao

Start with C++, spend a couple of years with it, you will learn a lot.
Then you can learn python in a week or two and then you will think this question is rather silly.

C++ is good for a lot of projects, but a lot of them could be a lot easier to make with python.

If you know c++ and assembler,, picking up other languages seem very simple.

Some languages are very close to the OOP part, like java, others are closer to the branching paradigm, like javascript.
The rest is very similar to plain english, and python is in that category.

thanks
all the anti-C++ fags were starting to get to me

>anti-C++
nothing wrong with C++, but its lack of support for metaprogramming, aspect-oriented programming, functional programming, and portable network module support just makes it less efficient to dev in

I agree that networking is a problem, mostly because the "good" libraries are in C, but the programming style is not really a problem for C++.
Do you really want more styles people program in within the same language?

Yes, C++ is multi-paradigm after all

c++

>C++
>lack of support for functional programming

pfffffffffff
it's just not centered around it you fuckface

Yes it is.
And libraries can transform how the code is written.
So changing the core to fit every meme you can think of is ridicules.

No it lacks proper support for it

The core already supports multi-paradigm. Adding in more paradigms is not an issue especially since the support for functional programming is increasing

can you provide an example of what you want to achieve (maybe in another language?)

preferably in C
so we can tell you how retarded you are, as you can even use C in C++ directly.

>Complex mathematical/scientifical calculation: numpy/scipy
Enjoy dying before your FEM code solves anything though.
Even today nothing beats FORTRAN libs

I think he means higher order functions specifications. Which in a sense is not actually supported with std::function.

Python master race reporting in.

Depends on your goals, but most likely Python if you're not doing gamedev. Don't fall for the pygame meme

>as you can even use C in C++ directly

C++ support an older C standard, there are some interesting features in contemporary C that C++ doesn't support (i.e. anonymous structs). It's better to see them as two different languages. Even though the overlap is huge, the way how you solve problems is different.

C++ is really a huge language. That is good and also bad.

It's good because if you mastered C++, you can do really everything. I have a lot of respect for good C++ programmers.

The downside is, in the same time you need to actually master C++, you can already get pretty decent in C, Java, C# and Python together.

So ask yourself, what kind of guy are you?
You want a super weapon with 1000 buttons which can shoot bullets, lasers, rockets and has a built-in radar jammer, coffee machine and sleeping bag? Learn C++.
You prefer a couple of weapons and want to use each one where it's appropriate? Learn a Stack of different languages (i.e the ones I suggested).

Protip:
The best way is just to learn a langauge for two weeks. If it connects and you think "yeah, that's funky" stay there. If you feel like the concepts are alien to you, maybe dabble two weeks into something different, to get a different view.

>Every language can "do the same stuff".
Stop spreading false information. That's not true at all.

this
Fortran was made for math. Handles arrays much more quickly.

>What is turing completeness?

really? are you implying that c++ or python aren't turing complete? or are you taking issue with "every language"?

I mean you can't do everything with every language. Try writing a kernel in Python.

it's turing complete. you quite literally could write an entire shitty OS on it

assembly

you'll die before the computer boots

>Python
Pajeet tier languages don't apply here
>C++
C but in Pajeet mode
>C
The one and true language

You can't write everything in Python since it's very high level and it doesn't give you direct access to lower level stuff like hardware.

>Hey guys, I've got an idea. Lets compare a compiled language and an interpreted language with completely different syntax to each other so I can feel like I'm cool because I have strong opinions about technology.

C++ is a pain in the ass with all the issues of C's shitty syntax plus all the issues of OOP's shitty thought process. It's only good if you're brown.

Python's use of whitespace for codeblocks is a nice touch, but the fact that you have to preface indents with ":" anyways sort of defeats the entire purpose. I feel like Guido designed it that way because he's too much of a lazy faggot to write an interpreter the slightly harder way and make python look ahead for indents.

Sage because OP is a retarded faggot who likes comparing things that aren't related.
>VISUAL BASIC VS UBUNTU WHICH ONE XDDDDDDDD Sup ForumsIRGINS

"Hi, I'm a nigger retard, and I don't know what Turing Completeness is." - You

You can't make a window manager, the backend of a website, or a video game on a Turing Machine. Stop pretending like you know what you're talking about.

There are plenty of Turing Tar-pits that are effectively useless for real life.

Here is a language: github.com/LandonPowell/DeviousYarn/ . It's turing complete, but it's WIP because the I/O isn't done. You can't write games in DeviousYarn, you can't write webapps in DeviousYarn (yet), and you can't write WMs in DeviousYarn.

Top kek. I bit the bait.

>>C
>The one and true language
Confirmed for stupid pajeet trying to get nercred with his language choices.

Protip: C is garbage. The things you hate about C++ are that it's C, you just don't get nerdcred for using it.

>C is garbage.
Found the Pajeet.

>no counter argument because he can't think of one
Yeah, just keep calling me a Pajeet. We both know I'm right.

>no counter argument because he can't think of one
>C is garbage

You just contradicted yourself, checkmate Pajeet.

Protip: Not really. The reason I hate C++ is that it is a complete and utter shrill language that was taken by the Microsoft cucks by implementing it in their shitty Visual Studio package. This is why I prefer to write in C instead of C++.

M&B Warband was made in python

"shitty"

just keep talking you retarded faggot.
visual studio is the best IDE ever made.

>using Visual C++
>ever
why are you so fucking retarded
you do realize G++ is a thing, right
it doesn't inclue any MS stuff
you fucking retard

What's the application?
Depends...

Learn BOTH then decide...

Ever tried getting multi-threading to work on MinGW? toString ()... any aspects of C++11?
It's 2016... shit still doesn't work...

looks like you are developing on the wrong system or using the wrong language

C++ on windows == MFC

C++

Also, not a virgin since 13

> Also, not a virgin since 13

nice try hahahahahahah

Python first, then C++. At least thats how we did it at uni.

Python to get us familiar with what a programming language can do and how. Basic syntax and concepts like if clauses, while loops, functions, OOP etc

Then after weve become comfortable with those ideas, in C++ we learn discrete math (algorithms) and data structures alongside eachother.

i'll take anything over fucking python

well maybe not ruby but still

why

>Quotes a part of what I said that prefaces my argument and then says I don't have an argument.

Also, that isn't what a contradiction is anyways.

Underrated

It works perfectly fine.
I have G++ 6 installed, so.
I also had multithreading working with std::thread in one of my projects, so really, you're just fucking retarded.