Pcbuild thread

>pcpartpicker.com/list/PWwxcc

How does my build look? I'm a cs student and I don't game.

Other urls found in this thread:

tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/tLyMvV
pcpartpicker.com/list/vd2dm8
logicalincrements.com/
indiegogo.com/projects/alco-test-technology/x/14840867#/
pcpartpicker.com/list/JyNrVY
pcpartpicker.com/list/BxtMvV
pcpartpicker.com/list/CNn68K
pcpartpicker.com/list/9xPRTH
coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/wC8n7h
pcpartpicker.com/list/pNm68K
pcpartpicker.com/list/GYZt8K
pcpartpicker.com/list/T3xXbj
pcpartpicker.com/product/8q38TW/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz170xpsli
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If you can afford it, try and get a bigger SSD. You will run out of space on that 128GB faster than you think, even if you are only using it for the operating system and special applications.

On windows definitely. With Linux and hacintosh, I found my 100GB SSD to be *enough*

>thats not how you buid computers though

Also 1*8GB stick? Better to go 2*4 if you can

it looks very round and nice. i wanna kiss it gently.

Before you spend almost $500 on a new i3 system I do suggest you browse your local craigslist. You can generally find an 2 or 3 year old gayming PC that still has a faster i7 in it than that i3 for like $200 or $300 total. You can tell'em to keep the GPU if they try to claim that their GTX 780ti or something increases the price.

Get a more reliable PSU if you don't want your pc blowing up after a year.

I'm running debian and I try to keep it as bloat free as possible. A 256 ssd isn't much more expensive so I'll look into.

Why is 2*4 better?

Silver or Gold rating?

I've been checking for a long time, but I never see anything good. Its usually just old laptops or prebuilt systems that are pretty shitty.

>why is 2*4 better?
Dual channel is *slightly* faster (at least in benchmarks) but mostly if one such fails, you still have 4GB usable. Normally 1*8 and 2*4 are roughly the same price

If one stick fails

>posting from my phone

Gold never hurts.
There's a quick list you can consult:
tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Why 550W tho?

Youre a fucking retard. Buy a hybrid 2 tb hdd for 89.99.

pcpartpicker.com/list/tLyMvV

Building my first PC, mainly for gaming. How does this look? My budget was $1000. I have a 1 tb external so I'm only adding a SSD. Optical drive is for older games.

I'm pretty unfamiliar with PC building so I'm not sure how to be certain all of my parts will work together. Beyond pcpartpicker's "compatibility" would you guys recommend anywhere else that might help me learn how to tell what works with what?

What should I upgrade first looking at my speccy?

Also, building a pc for a friend, is everything compatible? Any Tips?

pcpartpicker.com/list/vd2dm8

logicalincrements.com/

Do I pull the trigger on the Superb tier?

You might as well spend seven extra bucks and get Skylake, DDR4 and a slightly higher wattage PSU.

>Windows 10
>500 watt
>i5 6600
Jesus

>g skill ripjaws

You could donate for this shit, maybe your pc will be better :P
indiegogo.com/projects/alco-test-technology/x/14840867#/

It's not even expensive, though.

I have generic ram from China for 10 dollars.

>windows 10
it was the cheapest

>500 watt
for further upgrades if neccesary?

>i5 600
ok, this i understand, but at the budget, i tried to squeeze out a little more.

>CD/DVD writer for older games
Why? I'm sure you have a drive at home already, just rip the images and mount them when you want to play the older games.
Other than that, you should probably switch to ddr4 RAM since it seems like you're building a pc which will last another 6 years at least and ddr3 will probably be abandoned during that time. But there's no need for additional wattage, you won't go over 450 even with some additional devices connected to your PC, 500 or 550 should be more than enough even if you upgrade something.

I'd say get an SSD, as for your friend there's no need to get an overpriced gaming graphics card now when no games require 8GB and by the time 8GB is required that card will be 30-40% cheaper. And remove Windows you can easily download it for free.

>double minus range
Who the fuck buys this shit?

So how does this look?

You would be better served buying a cheap macbook off of CL. Perhaps a monitor and mouse to go with it.

Looks good. You should probably get a 256GB SSD to put your system/OS, programs and games on and use an HDD only for media storage and backups. Although, I'm not sure if you need thermal paste and a cooler since stock CPU's come with both.

>dont game
>micro atx
>no gpu
kys

You can get epic G.Skill Ripjaws ram for less money than that. You don't have to buy lame looking green shit just because neckbeard dullards tell you to.

So, building something for my bro for his 18th birthday, how does this look?
pcpartpicker.com/list/JyNrVY
I'm tired of looking at him gaming on a laptop so I want to build him a real pc

pcpartpicker.com/list/BxtMvV

Any suggestions? I'm gonna probably get an SSD also

this
buy a case/board with enough space for a middle length card and you will be set for future gaming or gpu calculation

>paying more for gaming looks
Get a load of this fag.

Except you're paying less, you bellend.

what made me winge as I read it...

>$115 closed loop heatsink, but I bet this faggot never OCed in his life
>buying thermal paste
>evga for graphic card
>full tower

its just so exactly what I hate

get smaller case thats not an eyesore, you dont fucking need cow house
get MSI or asus gpu
you dont need thermal paste
you dont need fucking $100 heatsink that will break a pump on ya in 2 years, get $30 hyper 212 or some noctua around $45

>I'm a cs student and I don't game.
nigga, you're on the wrong board then

get a gtx 1070 nigga. preferably MSI

pcpartpicker.com/list/CNn68K
First PC build ever. The case and graphics card are temporary.

Get a Thinkpad X220 and install Gentoo.

need to buy a new monitor, $250 max, need it for daily use/light gaming. i've always used a shitty led tv so any real monitor will probably be un upgrade. atm i have a 1080p 22", looking for at least the same specs if not higher. i was looking at the korean monitors and particularly at qnix 2710. should i pull the trigger? is there anything better?

That mx14 that I bought while deployed.

>kek

Damn it I'll ask, who's the girl?

Just buy crt monitor on ebay.

what is this meme of ram influencing colors?

If he has the money to spend on Razer diarrhea, the least he could do is custom-order a great table according to personal specifications, and get some great monitor arms for his shit.
The only worse thing than a fag wasting money, is a fag not even making the full use of money.

>cs student

>i3 dual core
dont be such a jew and get a quad core i5
a bigger SSD as said as well
same for what said

I stand corrected. I didn't realize I was comparing 2133mhz to 2400. Even though I do think the red cover looks better than the board, my point still stands about arbitrarily paying more for a "gaming" brand.

kakšna rit

This looks cool as fuck... But what the fuck do you do with all this stuff

>alienware and razer everywhere
>cool as fuck

Ehhhhhhh.

Can't deny it looks like a pretty good set up. Whether it's any good is another matter. Probably good enough for 90% of ppl. I'd rather have a slick as fuck desktop/server combo tho

spend the extra and get a 250gb 850 evo ssd. Well worth it.

Am I the only one who finds her ass way to big compared to the rest of her body?

It's really not attractive at all.

you're probably the only one

It's just you. She looks amazing don't know what skeletons you're into.

low test

As a strong independent #girlwhocodes I find that picture unrelated and offensive. Please delete it inmediately before I call the mods and my tumblr followers on to you.

Katya Clover. OP has the shopped version, pic related is the original.

I would not recommend that MOBO. First off it's a microATX and you have a mid-tower case. Secondly it's got very few reviews and half of them are bad. Thirdly I'd be willing to bet that if you try to put that 212 Evo puzzlebox on your tiny-ass MOBO, you're gonna have a bad time.

The 212 Evo comes with thermal paste, you don't need more. Spend $7 on a static wristband if anything.

Your processor is WAY more powerful than your GPU and will probably bottleneck it. Unless you have a CPU intensive game in mind, balance those 2 out.

Opinions on this one? Don't mind the SSD size and the OS.

who are the niggers that keep photoshopping all these inflated asses into pictures, seriously

it's bigger in the original. He lifted and tightened it in the shoopped version

pcpartpicker.com/list/9xPRTH

Do I need more power supply friends?

Depends.
PSU's tend to run best around half their load. That's a luxury though and not a nessesity.
So you can kick it up to about 600W if you want.

If you're going to OC then you'll need a lot more power.
coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/
Use this to calc your needs.

>K series cpu
>Budget mobo

You may want a z170 board mate, your current board won't support overclocking

as far as cpu / gpu goes, i can't really find a good answer. what is the minimum for max settings gaming?

Depends on what games you're playing

Kind of sad that these days they charge a premium for a BIOS image that supports changing settings.

i play mostly multiplayer shooters and racing games.

But the question is which ones? Do you play Quake or Battlefield? Forza or F-Zero in a shitty emulator? The amount of power you'll need to max them out highly depends on the games themselves.

what resolution? games like cs:go or games like Battlefield?

sorry, right now i'm playing a lot of siege and will be on bf1 when it gets rolling. as far as racers i currently play forza 6 and will be playing f1 2016 and fh3

also, 1080p

here's where i'm at right now, i can tell there is a lot of fat i can trim off but i'm not knowledgeable enough to know where. i picked an i7 over an i5 for a bit of longevity

So Ive been looking for a build for around £600 and i just found this: uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/wC8n7h
Is that any good? Will i be able to play guild wars at medium+ settings on it?

This should be fine if you're playing BF1 maxed at 1080p, but I'm not sure what to say about that since it's not officially out yet. Forza 6 should be good too. But I'd recommend doing your homework since some random fuck on the internet is about as reliable as that uncle that keeps asking for money once or twice a year.

Don't buy 32GB of RAM, you need 16GB at the very most for gaming. 8GB is just fine.
I'd rather buy an i5 than an i7 because paying the extra money just for hyperthreading is not worth it. An i5 will do very well in modern games for years to come. GPU is most important

The processor is faster, it isn't just hyperthreading moron.

mostly cool because he has a really nice racing wheel setup

pcpartpicker.com/list/pNm68K

Alright this is my last shit post before I pull the trigger. Any other comments before I buy?

>pcpartpicker.com/list/pNm68K
No SSD? Looks good, although I would have went for EVGA SuperNOVA 650W

Anyone help?

>pcpartpicker.com/list/pNm68K
Seems like you could get the 1070 for cheaper. Also, I'd beef the size of the HDD and add an SSD for OS/Programs that you use often.

Try something like Microcenter if you're near a B&H

> i7 overkill. 6600k is more than enough
>16gb ddr4 its enough

this

these things exist?

How did I do?

Error detected: no heat spreader on ram.

Get a SuperNOVA G2 rather than NEX.

grab the 6600k while it's on sale. also you want some heat spreaders on that ram. giel is a decent inexpensive choice. lastly you want an ssd. it will make all the difference in the world. save on proc or gpu or anything to get at least a 250 ssd

> pcpartpicker.com/list/GYZt8K
is this going to be okay for a first time builder? any improvements i can make while spending the same? I'm using it for gaming and maybe some design work, so i need ram and the case.

not the only meme in there

the ssd is shite. grab a 500gb 850 pro or even a 950 pro for your m.2 and you'll be happy for sure. you can seriously cut down to 16gb ram with a sick was ssd and outperform what you have going on right there.

pcpartpicker.com/list/T3xXbj
Trying to find a better motherboard, but might stick with this. Any suggestions would be nice.

I went with this guy because of the usbc

pcpartpicker.com/product/8q38TW/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz170xpsli

>>link

The only cool shit is the racing wheel and the flight sticks and shit.

The rest can fuck off.

What is she doing to those tomatoes