Gtx 1080

Gonna buy a gtx 1080 soon. Any protips for choosing a non-referent? Thanks in advance

GTX SC > FTW

double rails doesn't improve FinFets

But whatever is in stock because it's going to be for very long

as long as you don't buy a blower then you're fine.

Get whatever's cheapest. Also, you'll be lucky to have more than one or two choices if the store even has them in stock.

blower is best

> buying a $700 card
> that's gonna get btfo by the new $1.2k TX2
> which will be at near parity with 1080Ti which will probably be out in 6 months at most for $700-$800

did you learn nothing from the plights of the 980fags at the hands of the 980Ti?

the titan xp is the 1080ti. it has some of the SMs disabled already. nvidia will release a fully enabled titan later and will release a $1000 1080ti with more disabled SMs once vega is out. :^(

you can't really be sure of what the 1080Ti will be like nor it's price. also the 980 was hardly worthy of being a x80 card. it was like 7% faster than a 970. the 1080 is the single largest increase in performance to it's predecessor that nvidia has ever released.

waitfags are the worst

just about any 1080 performs near the same as any other. pascal doesn't really gain a ton of performance from overclocking. most aftermarket ones run pretty cool. got my msi gaming x as soon as it came out, couldn't be happier. runs my 3440x1400 resolution games with maxed settings (withcer 3, rise of the tomb raider, gta 5 online) with 50-70 fps pretty consistently.

>pascal doesn't really gain a ton of performance from overclocking.

this is only true for the 1070 and 1080 because of their high stock clocks. 1060 and titan xp can gain a lot from a good OC, nvidia didn't want to ship them at higher clocks for some reason.

Only in SFF cases, and even then not always.

>spending this much money on something that wont have any noticeable difference from spending half the amount on another product
sacks of shit like you are why the price:performance of gpus is currently out of control

Show me a card with this performance for half the money and we'll talk

implying you can't get playable framerates on other gpus
implying you can't buy two previous gen cpus for 1/4th the total cost for the exact same performance if not better
fuck you and your propagating this overpriced garbage.

>beating around the bush and not giving examples
Yea good job of convincing anyone to buy a different card retard.

It makes sense to wait right now

because they are releasing a HBM2 card and this memory is more efficient and better suited to high resolutions

if you are going for top end you dont want a gddr5 gpu

jayztwocents said that founders actually clock higher than AIB, so if you can live with the sound or can get an aftermarket cooler,than that should be your choice.

a 1070 is reasonable around $400, but a 1080 is not really world $700 unless you absolutely can't wait 6 month and have money to burn.

it's still a ~300 mm^2 256b GPU that only even exists because gooks couldn't make HBM2 soon enough.

reference throttles cuz of heat
noisey
hits a power limit due to a single 8pin

get a non ref one

also, pascal still has high latency so i'd wait a bit
new drivers keeps reducing the latency but it is still above normal.

>wait 6 month
For what purpose? Might as well wait a whole year for Volta. Then another 6 months for 1180Ti.

Waiting is never the right thing to do. Always buy right now.

i'm not looking up all the framerates to prove some retarded shillfag is wasting his money, i don't know what games you're playing you dumbfuck or am i willing to go through the effort of showing you how to spend your money wisely.
just know it's obvious how ridiculously overpriced this shit is and there's cheaper alternatives everywhere.

Like what exactly?
I want to run WItcher 3 at maximum settings at 1440p.

Do you even have a 4k display?

>I want to run one game at max settings in only 1440p
Just wait you fucking retard, bad time to buy GPUs now.

I'm blowing $2500 on a new rig at cyber Monday.
There is no point of waiting for anything except the discounts. Ever.

I will also buy skylake, because it will probably drop at the time, because of the kaby lake and zen announcement.
And I will be getting dat 1080 SLI, because Pajeet will be rolling out his Vega crap.

Black Friday >>>>>> Cyber Monday

Read reviews.

t. Waiting for my GTX 1080 RMA to finish

This is the dumbest shit. Literally waiting for a new type of memory to be implemented with hopes that it will bring a meaningful impact on gaming performance while still keeping the prices acceptable. "HBM2" is not a performance figure, it's a means to an end. That end is not dependent on the memory type. It makes no sense to wait for something like that. You can wait for a more powerful GPU all you want it the current options on the market aren't worth it for you but other than nerding out how the GPU architecture works, a type of memory is not of any importance to the buyer.

man i want 60hz 4k
if i were to oc a 1080 and 6700k i wouldn't get there would i

ROG STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING

Currently the fastest GTX1080 available with 2 display port and 2 hdmi. Very VR-ready.

>Nvidia
>VR ready

>caring about aftermarket clocks
>not overclocking yourself
>shitsus gpus
Sure if you want a loud housefire
The twin frozr (msi) and the new acx3.0 (evga) are stellar

>nvidia
lol

Get a job

Get a gf u tfl losr

I bought a Asus non oc edition as I'll match the RGB to my rampage v extreme ROG mobo. If 1080ti comes out and hits 60 fps on 4k I'll upgrade otherwise I'll wait till next tier with HBU memory

no girl likes you

The Titan XP is one of the new Quadros that weren't good enough.

>Waiting is never the right thing to do. Always buy right now.
This is why nvidia can get away with charging stupid prices for their cards. You're a moran, but whatever, yo, no ragrets, right?

You're paying 40% more for 20% improvement over the 1070

Meme more, faggot

Referance is better IMO because it blows the hot air straight out of your case instead of inside

I have a referance card and you can't even hear the fan during gaming it's only if you turn up to max which is like 9000RPM then it sounds like a mini vacuum cleaner

ONE WHOLE FRAME AHEAD OF THE OTHER MODELS WHOOAAA

Its always better to get two lesser powered cards instead, slide them into the same pcie slot and it will only use the power of one card. the vram and cody cores stack as well

This, I run the witcher 3 at 50-70 fps on a gigabyte 1080 at 2560x1440. All ultra settings. The card suits me fine since I wasn't going for 4k gaming and I can just upgrade down the line if I eventually do.

The reference cooler is shit though, even with an agressive fan curve. I water cooled the bastard and knocked 40c off the full load temps.

>while still keeping the prices acceptable
the price of GPUs have not been acceptable for years now.
970 is a fucking joke when price:performance is compared to 7xx and 6x series, which weren't even competitive with 6xx and 5x series price:performance.. sad to see prices continue to soar without any real progress being made.

at least AMD is pushing HBM2, but those gains wont be seen for a while yet still.

depends on the game desu.
unoptimized pieces of junk meant to overheat GPUs, or force idiotic manbabies into buying $1000 gpus?
or games with intuitive gameplay and then decent graphics as an addition?
best bet is to buy a console atm.

Forget HBM2, competition is the only thing that would drive prices down and Nvidia has had the upper hand in the high end consumer GPU market for years now. There's a heck of lot progress being made as well as implemented to consumer GPUs but the lack of competition will slow down that process.

>upper hand in the high end consumer GPU market f
citation needed
fury x still shits all over nvidia

In what? Not in performance, aside from like three cherry picked examples heavily optimized games for AMD. Also certainly not in efficiency either. The card has huge TDP for its performance figures. Heck it was slower than the last gen top cards from Nvidia too and since AMD hasn't released any high end GPU since then, it's a free sector of a market for Nvidia. Imagining that Fury X is somehow competitive to the fastest Nvidia GPUs out for consumers right now is dumb.

This reminds me of that chart that makes the gtx 980 look 3 times faster than the 290x, the difference only being 1 fps lmao.

No, wait for 1080 TI.

Love you poor salty cunts. Cant afford it so call it a waste of money.