/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Noise isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, x sucks"

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/RWr2ACs2
service.sennheiser.com.au/consumer/products/hifi-and-tv-headphones/hd-518
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

SHP9500, Canadian prices are stupid.

Nice thread newfag.

What's wrong with the thread?

All hpg threads must start with weeb images.

Just in case you were wondering what a respectable Full-Size Open Wall of Fame should look like:
K612
HE-400i
SR-207
Elear
Ether (not the new mud edition)
Edition X

>no DT880 or HD600

kys

Is there a recommended buyer guide for earbuds?

pastebin.com/RWr2ACs2

Reminder to have good source audio components.

reminder that buying any headphone other than HD600/HD650 is a bad investment.

post it in the thread if you want replies

>Budget
up to 200£
>Location
UK
>Source
xperia x performance
>Preferred type of headphone
Over-ear, wireless
>Open or closed
preferably closed, don't mind open though
>Comfort level
at least 8/10, very important
>Preferred tonal balance
neutral, wide soundstage
>Past headphones
Sony mdr10rc, Sony mdr1

>xperia x performance
>wireless
Don't you have to have Sony headphones to get the lossless audio otherwise it's regular crap bluetooth audio?

Oh what the FUCK: Tyll removed my headphones from wall of fame! Bass extension my ass. I'll shove something up his if they aren't back by noon. Ever since his transformation to an overgrown dwarven druid he's been eager to cast garbage articles about everything new and trendy in audiophool town. Probably studies stars to know what to shill next after readying another bullshit article about square waves to cover "response" issue and reap credibility from his herd. Better send some shrooms and forest flowers to aid tweaking his power conditioner altar for SR-009 re-re-evaluation

t. damned HD 800 owner

>Brainwavz stand

You fucked up Japanese shill-kun.

Headphones or speakers? Which are the master race?

Speakers obviously.

>sony
enjoy your high noise floor, high distortion and high output impedance.

Sony really has no idea what they are doing when they make high end audio products like most Japanese manufactures

>implying anyone needs purchasing advice

Just get a pair of Shure SE315s and be done with it

>Shure SE315s

uncomfortable AF

speakers if you have several thousand euro/dollars/pounds to spend

I find near-total isolation pretty comfy desu senpai

>tfw 40% volume on a busy street

My speakers only costed me $1400.

Sound better than any of my headphones but I don't use them much.

*Hundreds
Whic is about the same as all these faggots spend on their memephones which "need" dedicated dacs and amps.

/hpg/ - Headfi 2

post your setup

> Budget
100 USD, flexible.

> Location
Turkey, but through Amazon. Stores here are rarely any cheaper.

> Source
Microsoft Lumia 950 and Surface Pro 4. 3.5mm jack.

> Preferred type of headphone
Earbuds like Apple's EarPods.
Microphone is a must.
Also need volume control (should work with Lumia 950) and playback control (play/pause, would be awesome if it had next/previous, too).

> Comfort level
Should really be comfortable for even 1-2 hours of continuous use.

> Preferred tonal balance
Neutral.

> Past headphones
Currently use Apple's EarPods. Contrary to everybody else, I find them quite comfortable. They fit in my ear perfectly and rarely ever slip out.

Only downside is that the volume control does not work with anything else than Apple's stuff, and I need to control volume on my Lumia 950.

I also use Sony's MDR-7506 at home, enjoy how it sounds.

he'll never answer this post

Under 200 uk bucks

are the HD 700 worth the extra money when compared with the HD 600's?

I've got a DT880 right now and it feels like either I side-grade to HD 600 or similar or 'upgrade' to the HD 700's which are absolutely the most i'm willing to spend on headphones.

I have found a pair of philips shp9500 for $75 CAN. Is this a good deal? I have personaly never tried them

>DT880
What Ohms?

What amp/DAC?

focusrite 8i6 to uk built O2 amp

HD 700 are worse than both.
EQ your headphones and stop wasting money on shit you don't need.

You don't upgrade from DT880 level.

HD700 is dogshit.

HD600 is a slightly fixed DT880 but not worth buying if you've already got a DT880.

cheers lads. i'll have a rethink about this whole thing.

What small form speakers would you guys recommend?

No speaker thread so might as well post here.

Who Philips Fidelio master race here?

I have both the X2s and the IEMs. They're both great.

>not buying sennheiser hd558 or hd518 with readily available spare parts
Good luck with getting help with philips replacement parts!

HD518 owner here.

When the pads wear out can you put on hd558/598 pads on it and is it worth it?

>Budget
50€
>Location
EU
>Source
xperia z2
in-ear
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
good
>Preferred tonal balance
neutral
>Past headphones
Sony XBA-C10

Go to Sennheiser's Spare Parts online store.
Example service.sennheiser.com.au/consumer/products/hifi-and-tv-headphones/hd-518

Is this bashing on wireless a new meme?

it's one guy

So the bluedio headphones are fine?

I don't need $2000 audiophile tier shit, just decent sounding budget Bluetooth earphones.

If it doesn't sound like its behind a wall I'm happy.

Keep wishing that.

>:
Remimding that MB integrated realtek is better than outdated shit in any 2k$ DAC. Spend all your money on where it matters

can you recommend me a cheap but good mobile amp so i could use my 250 Ohm DT770 with my S3 mini and still get the same audio quality & volume levels like at my desktop?

>this is what you're paying for when you buy a hd800

Ignore this retard, OP image is fine

If you want anime you could always visit

>animu weebshit isn't a requirement
>r-reddit!!!!?

Just stay in /r9k/ and Sup Forums like a good lad

Somewhat unrelated but people here might have experience with this.

I'm not that into audio. I have pic related. I want to listen to audio from two computer monitors at the same time with one pair of headphones. Could I just grab a cable that splits the audio into left and right channels, plug it into the monitor headphone jacks, and have the signals sent through the mixer line ins? If not, how would I set this up?

yo Sup Forums
I recently got a AKG K501 from my uncle for free yeeey (pic related but not mine)

I have 2 output sources which can make it go loud enough(laptop on board sound and sansa clip+)
Other sources (mp3 players,laptops,PC with realtek dac) cant drive it up to normal sound levels.

It only sounds good on classical music,any other genre sounds crap.

Ive lurked around the web and it seems the AKG's are specially hard o power.

Even know the players I have power it up to loud enough levels,is there benefit to buying an amps for this?
It sounds so tinny? even though it gets alot of praise on the internet

Sorry for bad English btw

Yeah you'll want an amp for those, those old AKGs benefit from amps with at least 7-10 volts of swing. Get a Fiio E10k, Magni 2, or O2.

Try an EQ to beat it into line. I presume you are having treble issues, cut at 2 and 6 kHz. Add more bass, and keep adding until you like it.
>is there benefit to buying an amps for this?
No.

>you'll want an amp for those
Except...he doesn't.

great thanks!
Ill look into it.
> those old AKGs benefit from amps with at least 7-10 volts of swing.

Where 1can I find these stats.(the voltage stuff)?

What is a comfy pair of headphones for someone with glasses? Between the HD558 and the M50X.

>Budget
$150.
>Location
USA
>Source
Phone, home amp, laptop
Over ear
>Open or closed
Either, I had a past of closed cans so I am more inclined for open earphones.
>Comfort level
Very comfy(I wear classes comfy)
>Preferred tonal balance
Nice bass and treble, not too high mids but good soundstage.
>Past headphones
Koss UR-40 and Koss porta pro.
Both current and last gen Sony XB headphones. Solo 2 headphones. I gave the beats solo 2 away because it felt like a head clamp.

I think i am more inclined to the Audio Technica headphones because two weeks ago I helped setup a stage for a weekend concert. One of the dj's used the m50x and asked after the show how he liked them, he abided by them.

Really it's comparing apples to oranges but between the HD558 and the M50x, which are better for general listening to EDM, Jazz and instrumental music that is also comfy?

All of the ones I listed are sufficient.

>Except...he doesn't.
Except...he does.

>I find these stats.(the voltage stuff)
For the amplifier, these will be hopefully listed on the spec sheet.
For the headphone, a little explanation.

Saying you *need* to have a dedicated headphone amplifier for a headphone is kinda bullshit, excluding electrostatics.
The amount the voltage you need of course depends on the sensitivity of the headphone, but also on music material and how loud you want it. Having more voltage on hand to make the headphone play louder doesn't hurt, but it doesn't help either.

>at least 7-10 volts of swing
>Fiio E10k
Only by Vp-p. That requires more computation to get to conventional Vpk and Vrms measurements. Normally, the consumer is in interested Vrms, and by root mean square the E10k is far short of 7 volts.

I got myself these after years of nothing but ~$50 IEMs, and holy shit the difference is just staggering. I can actually hear the concussion of piano hammers hitting the wires and tiny breaths of singers between lines.

But there are $50 IEMs that sounds far better than those.

I get it you want to feel good about your purchase.

I don't want to ruin that for you.

>Budget
$100 range, willing to go higher or lower
>Location
LA, California
>Source
Bass Guitar. Looking to play without disturbing the neighbors
Over Ear or IE
>Open or closed
Either way, Open preferred
>Comfort level
6+/10
>Preferred tonal balance
Bass Guitar, so lows and basses
>Past headphones
Nothing in particular, nothing for bass guitar so far. ATH m50x for relaxed listening.

You're all beautiful people.

The M50x works well for this.

SoundMagic E10S

I'll give it a shot. I remember them having kinda disappointing bass through my smartphone, but worth a try straight from the source.

The 558's will be much comfier than the m50's.

The m50's are a meme anyway. They're far to coloured and have sloppy bass. Whoever calls them good 'studio monitors', is drunk. Thr m40x's are much better ĺ.

M50s are fucking shit. My ears stick outward so they can touch the pathetic excuse of a driver which is a hard plastic ball which should have been kept away from my head by their non existent padding.

Wearing that trash felt like wearing a beehive on my head.

Thank god the HD800 cable is so thick, I'll be able to hang myself with it after Tyll banished it from approval.

Thanks. Been doing a lot of tests with the 558's at a local BB with a Magnolia section. Probably gonna finally get them.

I like how the beats studio feels nice as well, but would not pay the price.

I might just get two pairs(open can/closed cans) just to cover everything.

Thanks

Tyll loves niggerbass and hates treble.

Enlighten me. Who is Tyll?

Santa

Are there any good headphones, not headsets, with this kind of aesthetic?

That disgusting color scheme you mean?

What changed in the past 5 years that made wireless headphones not garbage?

Why do you guys care?

Just ordered HD 600s. What good snake oil cables are there for them?

Maybe a V-Moda with a custom yellow shield and some kind of graphic design on it.

HD650 cable is better if you want a better cable.

It's like you haven't heard that Tyll's wall of fame governs the quality of headphones

Nothing.

>Budget
$150 - $200 (talking about just the headphones) is my preferred range, though I will go higher than that if I am sold on it enough.
>Location
USA, but I will most likely order online
>Source
Into my computer mainly and on shorter occasions, my phone
Full
>Open or closed
Open so I can hear what's going on around me
>Comfort level
Nothing too heavy on my ears so that they don't get sore too fast. I'll be using them for long periods of time
>Preferred tonal balance
No preference/can't really decide
>Past headphones
Skullcandy Hesh 2.0. I've used them for the last three years, but the right ear of the headphones are going out and causing sounds to be unbearable as the sound in the right ear turns on and off quickly. While I was okay with them, I'd like to get something stronger and better now.

I've done a little research myself and ran into the Sennheiser HD 598 headphones and a Fiio E10K for my DAC, but I'm not familiar with the Sennheiser brand or the use of DACs in general. Would this be a good set up to use? Should I consider switching out the DAC for another one? Anything else I should consider doing or purchasing?

Generally it is suggested to hold off buying a DAC until you know you need one. Depending on your source you may not.

How do I mod a headphone so that it is open back instead of closed?

Just go full redneck and cut a hole?

At the $200 bracket, you should also consider getting a DT880, K702, or a used Fidelio X2. Pair the first two with an amp.

Or you can just save a bit more and get a used HD600 for ~$260 and reach end game.

Those are options you can also consider

I see. I'll either be plugging it in to the headphone port of my desktop computer or into the Logitech X540 speakers headphone port, but it makes sense to try it first before buying one.

If I decided to, what amps should I consider for that?
>and reach end game
Is the HD600 really that good?

>what amps should I consider for that?

E10k should be fine. O2 or magni if you want more power, but an e10k is enough

>is the hd600 really that good
Yes. Not too hard to drive, will last you years, and sounds good with basically all genres. Much better investment than a 598. Just wait a bit and save like $100 more and get something nicer.

After doing some research, I might get the HD600s instead. I'll just wait a little longer. Thank you.

Are those walmart-ubiquitous Sony mdr-ex100ap any good? I'm used to the baby of /csg/, zircons.

They are shit.

Wow Heaadphones are cool

Anyone have a favorite parametric EQ app for Android phones, or settings to be used on a normal one to correct the sound of the famous Sony MDR7506?

the elear has a big treble dip in it that the utopia doesn't have. it's not as bad as the el8 but it's kind of obvious you have to pay thousands more for the fixed version.

god that looks ugly

no. zircons are also fart cannons you should feel bad for liking them

generally lower 2-5k to where you like it, gently lift lower bass in a slope. lift sub-bas more than around 100hz. some people lift around 200hz because the v6 has a natural dip there but I leave it, I think the bass sounds better that way.