Is it safe to run an R9 280X on <225W? Can it draw less than 225W with underclocking?

Is it safe to run an R9 280X on

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/product/qYTrxr/evga-power-supply-220g20550y1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's barely enough, I personally wouldn't risk it, but it should work if you underclock it.

Also, to add: It would very much depend on the PSU, too. If it's not at the very least Bronze rated, it's pretty much suicide, and even then, I wouldn't risk it with anything under Gold rating, with such a low margin. It's really just asking for trouble. Get another GPU or upgrade the PSU.

Are you fucking stupid? No.

Are there any ramifications for doing this? Will the computer just shut down at max power or will it actually damage the GPU?

Just spend 60 bucks on a EVGA 650w PSU.

pcpartpicker.com/product/qYTrxr/evga-power-supply-220g20550y1
Just get this OP. It will be good when you decide to upgrade again.

You can probably run it on a 350W PSU as long as you don't put load on the GPU. If you want to actually use it for anything else beside Facebook get a 500W PSU.

I should have clarified, I suppose, but I don't have a 225W power supply, that's the maximum PCI-E power. I don't think that would change what said, though. These cards are very power hungry, my old 5850 would draw 140-150W at most.

The card isn't going to pull 225W from your PCI-E.
It pulls it from the 8-pin or 6-pins you plug into it.

>the maximum PCI-E power
Is 75W.

>The card isn't going to pull 225W from your PCI-E.
I know it won't pull that from the slot. 225W is the maximum for the power supply's PCI-E power leads.

Undervolt it. AMD cards tend to be set to use WAY too much voltage by default. You can undervolt many of them without even touching the clock, and it massively reduces power consumption. Just do it in small increments until you get instability.

What the fuck is your PSU?

Should be fine, but you are being very vague about your shit.

It's an HP Z620 power supply. I don't see how I was being vague and I've already come to the conclusion that my PC will not support this card, unfortunately.

That's a fucking pre-built PSU.
Just buy a Seasonic 500W or something.

>That's a fucking pre-built PSU.
It's the power supply that comes in with a Z620.
>Just buy a Seasonic 500W or something.
I won't.

>It's the power supply that comes in with a Z620.
Yes, that's what I said.

>I won't.
Then fuck off.

>It's the power supply that comes in with a Z620.
So it's a shitty PSU used in prebuilts, same shit
>I won't.
Then why are you attempting to hook a medium range GPU to it? It's non-rated, low wattage PSU, from a non-reputable brand, for shitty computers running Pentiums for the sole purpose of doing Office work. It's not meant for a 280X, and if try to do it, you'll regret deeply. You'll not only have to buy a new PSU, but likely a new PC altogether, that shitty PSU is a ticking time bomb with anything but a CPU and a single HDD hooked into it.

Just make sure you have Japanese capacitors first.

Are you an idiot?

Why would you ever buy an AMD GPU if you're worried about power consumption?

You only get those if your rig is powered by its own fusion reactor. Otherwise AMD cards are going to melt your PC and burn down your house, retard.

If you want a GPU that's extremely fast, supremely efficient and very cool you buy Nvidia. And if you want a GPU that works now, not in two years.

>Why would you ever buy an AMD GPU if you're worried about power consumption?
They're the newest cards with good double precision performance.

Most shameless shill I've seen in ages, you're in luck OP is a Sup Forumstard and will fall for it

>you're in luck OP is a Sup Forumstard and will fall for it
Yes, someone who has a workstation and is looking for a card with good FP64 performance is definitely playing games.

>workstation
>running a shitty prebuilt PSU
Nice try kid, one day you'll look back at when you were 14 and see how retarded you were back then.

What's it like to be as stupid as you?

Are you the same person?
OP wants to run a 280X on a shitty PSU, fuck off with your non-argument.

You tell me, I'm not the one trying to fit a 250W TDP gaming card with a prebuilt, non-rated PSU from HP with about 225W available for it, while calling it a "workstation".

>Z620
>not a workstation
And your custom gaming PC is?

>b-but muh workstation! look at how expensive it is!
>I won't buy a $50 PSU to make sure it doesn't burn to the ground tho, lol
This is how retarded you look

Stop replying to this thread

>PCI-E power leads

What would you call them?

dude just get a evga bronze 500w psu for like $40 or maybe even less.

Is this website full of gamer morons or what?

Japanese caps are a meme

stop being such a third world fag

According to HP's website, the Z620 has an 800W PSU.

HAHAHAHAHAHA