Linux ruins my graphics card

The only reason I don't install linux is because all games run at a higher framerate than needed. For example, Counter Strike Source runs at 200fps. There isn't any software out there that can limit my framerate to 60 or 30. Is there?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/torkel104/libstrangle
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>higher framerate than needed
>CS running at 200fps is a bad thing
kys asap
sure fps games are playable at 60fps, but you get a better experience always with a higher framerate.

Tell that to the temperature of my graphics card, and how much it lasts because of overuse.

does fps_max work in counter-strike source?

Doesn't really matter too much when you have a 60Hz monitor.

if you want the smoothest experience you should always have 2xyour hz +1 fps (141)

Turn on vsync u fuckn shit

what is frame latency

I got a 60hz monitor. All I want is a max of 60 or 30 fps, but since nobody in this bloody world thought of making linux have a fps limiter then I'm out of luck. I'll stay with windows.

Waiiit a second. I'm not sure if I did that or not last time I tried.

>100% usage
>overuse

t. retard

All you "fps should be as high as possible" shitposters have no idea what you're talking about. I remember you needed to limit the fps of one of the stalker games because there was no cap and it'd regularly go above 2000.

He's not wrong though

>more frames = more usage
Ok.. what ever you say.

What's it like to be poor?

Interesting. I have nvidia though. There isn't a framerate target control. Too bad rivatuner doesn't support linux. However, I guess I'll stick to turning vsync on. I forgot about this option

most games have a vsync setting, and there is an environment variable for it as well
some games also have a "half vsync" option now too, which is mainly for laptop use

% vblank_mode=0 glxgears
ATTENTION: default value of option vblank_mode overridden by environment.
5653 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1129.933 FPS
5564 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1111.333 FPS
% vblank_mode=2 glxgears :(
ATTENTION: default value of option vblank_mode overridden by environment.
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
299 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.701 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.997 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.998 FPS

Just.... run with VSYNC on?

Or if that causes input latency issues for you, see if the game has a built-in FPS capping mechanism and use that?

>What is imput lag

Sorry for sounding like a beginner, but how do I access that. What do I do to see that text?

open the console and type fps_max 61

use your terminal

also, i did a search for a frame limiter for linux, and i found this on the first page
github.com/torkel104/libstrangle

% strangle glxgears FPS=30
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
152 frames in 5.0 seconds = 30.221 FPS
150 frames in 5.0 seconds = 29.999 FPS

Thank you.

One last thing so I don't make another thread about it. What linux distro should I use? I heard bad stuff about systemd and I want to make sure I get one without it. Is Linux Mint good for this?

All you need is the console for cs:s...

>sure fps games are playable at 60fps
I was playing an RPG I've been enjoying, and I picked up an RPG which is great for blowing up large areas at a time.

> i can math
> 2 * 60 + 1 = 141

>I heard bad stuff about systemd and I want to make sure I get one without it
Don't worry too much about that. The "bad stuff" is bad for developers, not users.

How much space do I need for linux if I want to do gaming? Unlimited, I'd assume.

What?

Not him but I would play it safe and give lots of space, games are gigantic now. Some games are like 60 GB I think. The operating system would probably be under 20 GB when everything for gaming and desktop use is installed. Better have lots of room instead of worrying that every partition is 99% used all the time.