Are 1080p Ultra-wide / curved monitors a meme?

Are 1080p Ultra-wide / curved monitors a meme?

I was looking into the LG 34UM67-P
>34"
>1080p
>Ultrawide
>Not curved
>Sale for only $369

but the only major complaints I saw were from people who use 1440p and 4k resolution monitors.

I use two 23" monitors currently and while they aren't broken i'd probably sell them for one widescreen since i'm getting tired of my center mass being on the split line from the bezel of the two monitors meeting.

I'd like to spend no more than $400 on 32/34" ultrawide either curved or not. Is there anything that can compete with this LG in this price range?

Dell has a 2k 34" ultrawide curved "Ultrasharp" but it's almost $750 which would buy two of these 34 LG monitors.

I really hope people start demanding square inch measurement of monitors instead of diagonals so this ultrawide shit can die

Did not help me at all.

Yeah boi

The curved ones seem like a meme to me. I worked with someone who had a 2k curved ultrasharp and it was backlight bleed city.

The flat ultra-wides are worth it if you use the space for more work view. Again though quality is an issue and the LG you posted is the only one I would go with.

My final point though is that two monitors isn't that big of a nuisance. If you have a quality monitor, just get a matching one, you will be a lot happier. You get what you pay for with monitors.

It seems to me you have to dump a good amount of money (700+) to get a good ultrawide
I've been looking at the ROG PG348Q which seems like a good screen (lel gaymen >>>v) but is way over your budget

I'd say go for an ultra wide if it was 1440p.
My friend bought a 1080p ultra wide and I had to argue with him that the picture wasn't any better than standard 16:9. They were just packing extra pixels on the side of a 16:9 monitor basically.

Honestly I'd go for 29" if I were to choose a 1080p ultrawide because pixel density. But if you have no problem with 27" 16:9 1080p you won't have a problem with 34" 21:9 1080p. If you go for 29" the curve is definitely a meme. At 34" it's actually quite nice to have.

>Are Ultra-wide / curved monitors a meme?

yes

>1080p

doubly yes

>but the only major complaints I saw were from people who use 1440p and 4k resolution monitors.

think of it this way, you currently have two presumably 23" 1080p monitors but instead of that you'd get 1 23" monitor that has shitty dpi and will be more awkward to use as both as single monitor and far more awkward as double monitors as you'll have 1920x horizontal space versus 3840x horizontal space

>34"
>1080p
>ultrawide trash
topkek

>The opinions of someone that never tried buying 2 separate monitors that matched in color.

I'd pick an ultrawide over dicking around with 2 regular monitors any day. I got fucking banned from making returns at best buy for 3 months trying to get 2 monitors that had the same color.

the point of ultra wide isn't that it's more clear, it's just supposed to be wider. an 2560x1080 ultrawide will be just as clear as a regular 1080p.

1440p is the best. I got a 1080 29" and while I like using it for development, it starts to get cramped when you've got your VM, Oracle SQL workstation, eclipse, sublime text, chrome + ie, and a terminal open all at once.

*Oracle SQL developer

Never viewed anything on higher than 1080p monitors. Not once have I even looked at a 1440 or 4k display.

Assume I would not notice a difference with the 1080p at 34".

I'll probably wait until black friday and see the deals.

You're losing a ton of resolution

You have 3840x1080 right now, 2560x1080 is a fairly large reduction in available resolution.

3840x1080: 4,147,200 pixels
2560x1080: 2,764,800 pixels
You're losing 1/3rd of your resolution just to have no bezel.

Honestly speaking i'm building a desk that has 80" of length. Might just keep these two monitors and have a 3 monitor set up.

I wouldn't mind spending a little more on 1440p but I don't game in 1440p and I don't plan on buying a new GPU for 2 years.

Just get a 40 inch 4k display tard

An rx 480 can game at 1440p just fine

If going triple monitor get a 29"

1920x1080 at 23" is 95PPI

2560x1080 on 34" is 89PPI
2560x1080 on 29" is 95PPI

You'll be happier with matching pixel density if you decide to do triple monitors, having 34" would look less sharp, 29" should be identical sharpness as you're currently using

It depends what you want to do:

21:9 1080p for gaming
21:9 1440p or larger for productivity

Whatever ticks you off better.

Never mind the 144Hz ultra resolution retards, choose a screen which fits your own needs better.

To add, I'm a professional working in vfx and for work I would still choose 2 good screens instead of ultrawide. But this completely depends of what do you want to accomplish.

I bought a 27 inch curved with 1080p, and since I sit close to my monitor the pixel density resulted in real shitty pixelated quality

returned it for a normal flat 1440p 25 inch and couldnt be happier. will not fall for curve meme again either, seems gimmicky

This is a big maybe but assuming black friday/cyber monday prices bring these closer to the $499 range which one would be best looked at between the two.

Dell UltraSharp U3415W
Samsung S34E790C

I'd rather try to stay around my budget of
LG 34UM67-P

Watching reviews on it and looking into it I do see the points being made but as someone who has never used 1440p or higher I just don't see how I would notice a difference.

Maybe i'll head to bestbuy this week and look at some 1440 and 4k monitors and see what i'm missing.

Side note. Buddy linked me this.

HP Pavilion 32
>2560 x 1440 @ 60Hz
>3000:1 static; 10000000:1 dynamic
>7 ms gray to gray

Yes the 7 ms isn't great but I don't play much FPS and i'm currently using 7 ms monitors so that's a moot point.
>$339 on sale

So I give up 2 inches but I gain 1440p at my price point, non curved.

I have the U3415W and it is a godsend. The only bad thing about it is that not all games and videos support 21:9, but it's not that big of a problem.

The extra space is insane and I'm still surprised whenever I see a 1920x1080 image on my monitor--it's hard to believe it fits on there.

It's $699 now.

Wonder what it'll go down to around bf / cm.

What's the point of having a monitor wider than your useful field of view?

Bigger numbers are always better even if they confer no advantage. EG Color gamuts that reach the Ultra Violet. Pixel densities well beyond the resolving power of the human eye.
No practical use, but bragging rights.

Has anyone experimented with an eye tracker for office work / programming?

I use a keyboard with a rolling pointer device, and I like how it reduces the time I need to reach for the mouse.

But with some eye tracking stuff... potentially, I wouldn't even need to use my pointer.

The First generation curved ultrawides have horrible backlight bleed. I have an lg 34uc88 which has the second generation panel. The backlight bleed has improved greatly. The Dells still use the older panel.

i have the dell ultrawide u3415w

i figured that the whole point of this was to replace all my monitors

it's not a matter of how many i could buy with the $800 i spent (at the time). sure, i could put 10 1080p shit monitors on my desk for that price, is that somehow better because 10 > 1?

buck up and get the higher resolution. you'll be using this thing day in and day out for years. what's $400? and if $400 is a legitimate concern for you, perhaps you should live within your means.

one word of warning: gaming support is lacking. it ranges from UI wonkiness to straight up not running. i have to play certain games in a 1080p window which is bullshit. then again, i did buy newer technology.

How is good 75mhz?

The curve is there to make the edges of the screen relatively equidistant from your face compared to the center. If it was straight up flat it would suck.

>1080p
>34"
>ONLY $369
AHAHAHAHAHAHA
Nigger I bought my 28" 4K for $350

I can afford quite a few of these but let's put it this way.

What's $400 more on top of the u3415 and just getting the Acer Predator 34? It's just $400, and if $400 is a legitimate concern for you, perhaps you should live within your means.

But that's 28" vs 34".

I bet you they have the same vertical size.
Horizontal space is abundant anyway, even with with 16:9.

Do as you wish though, but don't come crying once you actually saw the difference between a 1080p and a 4k monitor.
I used a 32" 1080p TV as a monitor for a year, and God it was awful.
I could literally see that one fucking stuck pixel from 2 meters away.

close, but you're comparing epic gamer-gear gimmicks to the vanilla panel. nobody is going to run that resolution well enough to take advantage of any kind of sync tech or 'extended hertz range' (or whatever you call that).

the constant there is the 1440p panel, which is the clear winner and the future of that aspect ratio.

don't go for the ghetto ultrawide. there are plenty of awesome 16:9 panels for the same price. i say go for the real meat of 21:9 or stay 16:9.

Well what am I looking at for black friday 1440p 34" monitors in terms of deals/pricing?

If I can get better deals i'll just wait for it.

The u3415 is $699 now.

Are your eyes and neck welded into 1 position?

not op but serious question

I do have gtx 980 nvidia card
which of these monitors would be a good option for killing floor 2 / new battlefield / world of warcraft / dota 2/LoL (Rare but why not include them)

>Acer K272HUL
>ASUS MG278Q
These two say TN panel which I don't know the difference between TN and other IPS
>LG 29UB55-B
>AOC Q2778VQE
>Acer G257HU

I'd love to buy one of those 34" ultrasharp dell but at $750 on dells website I just can't let myself waste money like that.

are there any curved ultrasharp style monitors less in size but cheaper?

>1080p

What is this 1984?

Ni, just make sure that you actually need one

when you're playing a game that actually utilizes the whole screen, it is very immersive. the edges of the screen run into your peripheral vision so it gives the illusion of 'endlessness'

They will be after you injure your neck turning it back and forth for eight hours every day.

i doubt that, but you'd be just as likely to get that from multiple monitor setups

you'd think those people would get RSI to their neck and eye muscle strain, since you don't hear a ton about those and people use those, i doubt a narrow setup would do much of anything

seeing as how the human neck and eyes evolved to track stuff moving horizontally across your vision, i doubt it would do much once you got used to it, unless you were turning your neck more 15 dergees in either direction

usually neck problems come about from improper lifting, not so much horizontal movement, and looking up a lot, if you have a study that says otherwise i'd love to give it a read