/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES

News:
HTC Nexus Marlin And Sailfish See Pricing Details Leak With $499 & $599 As Starting Point
wccftech.com/htc-nexus-sailfish-marlin-price-leak-rumors-mid-range/

Mi Note 2 screenshot leaked, confirms Android 7.0 Nougat, 6GB RAM and Snapdragon 820/821
phoneradar.com/xiaomi-mi-note-2-android-70-nougat-6gb-ram-leaked/

Another set of Moto Z Play images leak
gsmarena.com/another_set_of_moto_z_play_images_leak-news-20180.php

Xiaomi Redmi 3S Prime preview
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_3s_prime-review-1481.php

Huawei Honor 8 is now available for purchase in US
gsmarena.com/huawei_honor_8_is_now_available_for_purchase_in_us-news-20166.php

Galaxy Note 7 review: What’s the opposite of “bang for your buck?”
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08/galaxy-note-7-review-whats-the-opposite-of-bang-for-your-buck/

The next three quarterly maintenance releases of Android Nougat will be Android 7.1 / 7.1.1 / 7.1.2
twitter.com/evleaks/status/769883870992879618

Blu R1 HD Amazon phone 2 week update
youtube.com/watch?v=hdMovREO2UY

old

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3-61FFoJFy0
businessinsider.com/android-iphone-market-share-by-price-2014-8
cultofmac.com/398525/is-there-a-class-divide-between-iphone-and-android/
theregister.co.uk/2015/06/19/its_true_android_is_the_poor_mans_phone/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

hey /spg/, Xperia Z3 or the Moto G4 Plus?
Also, the LG G4 bootloop issue will never be fixed, right?

Z3 all the way
Still the best battery life

just upgraded from and S4 to and S7 today. Why the fuck isn't there a settings widget for the flashlight and battery app anymore? Fucking Marshmallow

>Asus Zenfone Max
vs
>Xiaomi Redmi Note 3
vs
>Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
vs
>???

I also want a good aliexpress vendor (if that site is good, I haven't used it before)

Sailfish/Marlin will be available from Google's store or HTC cucks?

repost from last thread

hows cyanogenmod on the htc m7? my dads phones choking up with all the crapware hes being fed, so im considering installing cyanogenmod on it for him

Google's store. I wouldn't get excited though. All indicators point to it being disappointing.

the one that runs GNU

How much should the Nexus 5x be expected to drop once the new nexus's drop

The recommended chinkphones list in the wiki need to be updated

disappointing in what way

Need new Android because HTC 626 constantly out of storage.

On T-Mobile USA, so LTE needed.

-$200ish
-IR blaster
-Good speakers
- MicroSD
- At least 16gb of interal storage.

Anything that isn't shit?

Is it still worth getting the Nexus 6p? I have a 5x right now and I can't stand it. I can get the 6p for 350- should I go for it or should I wait for the new nexuses?

>/spg/

>ctrl + f iphone 0 results

What's the best cell phone to blast Juan Gabriel's classic hits?

Step back from last year in a few regards.

No front facing speakers
Thinner than the 6p which means it'll probably have a smaller battery
Looks dumb
The 821 won't be much faster than the 820 is at all
4GB of ram
etc

but last year has 2gb of ram

There isn't really much to discuss. Iphones have little variation, and little you can mess with. SPG is basically "what should I buy?" but if you want an iPhone you don't need to ask that question.

Honor 5x
MotoG4
Used Note4

Not sure about IR but those are some of the few solid choices under 200

iPhones are for normies and performance junkies. neither of which are on Sup Forums

Note4

So is a Z3 compact a good phone in terms of processing power and reliability? I've been using a Safelink drug dealer phone for the past 4+ years so I think I need to finally get a smartphone.

Performance junkies aren't on Sup Forums?

The Note 7 is god tier. I just got one today and it is amazing.

If you can buy it on contract get it. If not wait for the price to comes down, unless you were going to buy the galaxy gear fit 2 anyway.

>drakeposter
>thinks iPhones matter

Lets settle this, is Redmi note 3 pro a meme, yes or not?

What's a better option for 200?

>$1350.00AUD

Not really. Take a look around. Sup Forums settles for less than top tier performance for other benefits they find more valuable, like freedom, privacy, options, customization, etc.

Not a meme if you live outside of the US and get full 4G on it

No it's not. Those numbers don't translate to real world performance.

youtube.com/watch?v=3-61FFoJFy0

It has no viable competitor

Meme test
jPhones would only display the app and won't actually respond to touches at first

but that's not true, he interacts with the app before he hits the home button. Also even if it is true, doesn't change the fact that the note 7 didn't keep a single fucking app in cache. It's pathetic

Samsungs actually perform like shit in the long run.

>long run.
If by long run you mean out of the box then sure

>not even watching the video

I don't really know what I meant by that.

They're just shit.

not a programmer. is this why android gets btfo'd every year?

Is there a smartphone that doesn't look like a black slab of nothing? For example something like pic related, but new?

no. Minimalism/clean design is in now. no more cluttered shit like that

Of course there are, they just aren't popular

>Sony Clie
Makes me hard, I lusted for one of these so bad back in the day.

On ATT
Best phone for under 600? And no iPhone plz

Is a Nexus 5 still a viable option? Or should I wait for the new Nexus and see how the 5x price drops? What about custom roms and neato things that are for nexus 5 but not for 5x?

Grey import fa

I guess this is the best place to ask. What's /spg/'s preferred app to hide your power level (vault app)

That's overpriced for the hardware

CRAAAAWWWLING IIIIN MYYY SKYYYN!!

cbf - samsung isn't worth it

Seriously
Why the fuck would anyone buy anything other than iPhones?
Are stupid people really this many on the planet?

Differing values. If you're a performance junkie there's no reason to buy anything but an iPhone. But if you want muh features then buy Android.

Bought a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro 2GB 16GB version for $145 shipped.

Not sure if smart purchase or not. It's my first smartphone.

Java isn't interpreted and it pretty much is compiled on the phones now.

I have two smartphones right now;
>iPhone 6 Plus
>LG Risio
LG is fucking slow to update or they don't really update your shit at all.

I'm gonna use the iPhone until it no longer receives iOS updates, which might take some time.

But if I go Android again, which OEM actually supports their phones for a couple of years with updates? I know Nexus goes for at least two years, but I have no desire to root and flash ROMs, but I also have zero interest in buying a new phone just because such and such OEM stops giving me updates.

I just want my phone to be there to make calls, text, browse the net, and use a few dating apps. That's all I really care about, that and price. The fact that the iPhone SE is 400 bucks is still crazy but I doubt that Apple will go much cheaper than that unless they want to get more people onto their services.

performance means nothing when you're using garbage iOS

I bought the Axon 7. How cool am I from a 1-10?

Here's what matters to me. I guess price isn't too much a factor, but anyway...

- Dual front speakers
- micro SD
- good battery
- quick charge
- Stock, ROM, or root
- 5.2" max

Does anything like this exist? I'm not optimistic :(

Some people would still be using their Note 2 for another 3 more years after this, flashing isn't that hard

There's is no equivalent android device. Except if you use the power of free(asinlibre)dom and flash a Rom.

name five things wrong with iOS.

GO

Z3 Compact motherfucker

You seem to be looking at two different things.

If you just want your phone to be available to do stuff, you don't need update support for the OS, do you?

As for support after 2 years, if Google itself doesn't go longer than that I doubt anyone else would. The 6S should be supported for at least 3 years though, my 5S is from 2013 and is getting iOS 10.

Lag hidden behind slow animations
Can't download file over 100mb on mobile data
Have to jailbreak to gain basic functionality
Can't easily play webm or post png files, top kekkles
Can't downgrade if applel decides you need to buy a new jPhone

no customization and restrictions are reason enough

I have an android phone and iPad

I noticed games constantly crash on the iPad and never on my android.

I was gonna make a seperate thread about this but whatever.

Recently traded in my GS4 for a Nexus 5X. I love it, but 16gb turned out to be too small for me (since only 10 is available initially, and my provider doesn't offer 32gb versions because the phone is so unpopular), so I'm going to switch to the Moto G4.

What am I in for?

My biggest concerns are software and build quality. I love that Moto is one of the only brands that doesn't clutter up the OS with bullshit (because I'm love with stock Android), but the camera app looks a bit iffy and the scale of the interface (like the nav bar) looks a bit bigger than I expected? And since the back is removable, should I expect creaking and bad quality? This 5X is solid as a rock and it's gonna be tough to part with it but I need that extra storage.

I know it's a great phone.... But that's from 2013

Is the phone market seriously stagnating that hard?????

Are you seriously that retarded if you think a 2 year old flagship is somehow outdated?

See, if it was a laptop or desktop, I would go through all that shit. But things like smartphones are so basic, even Android ones that I feel like I shouldn't have to mess around with it.

Shame.

I want updates due to security. I know there is no such thing as a device that is 100% secure from malware or exploits (Just look at the funny cat and mouse game between Apple and jailbreakers) but it helps that if something major happens, I can at least get an update to patch it (hopefully).

iOS and Android, to be honest are so fucking similar that fighting over it is pretty silly. The biggest issue I have with a lot of the Android phones are the updates from OEMs.

Wait for Sony's next event in September

I just rooted my phone for the first time in 4 years. What should I do? What's that tethering app called?

>Lag hidden behind slow animations
you don't know what lag is. lag is stuttering/dropping frames. This never happens on iOS. Everything is silky smooth 60fps
>Can't download file over 100mb on mobile data
safeguard to prevent tech illiterates from blowing up their phone bills. may not be useful for you but please try to think outside of your bubble.
>Have to jailbreak to gain basic functionality
such as?
Can't easily play webm or post png files, top kekkles
changed in iOS 10
>Can't downgrade if applel decides you need to buy a new jPhone
doesn't matter for normies. if you're aware of this however don't upgrade.
>no customization and restrictions are reason enough
so making your homescreen cute is more important than performance? okay.
>I noticed games constantly crash on the iPad and never on my android.
Unfortunately, x app has stopped working.

okay

>You can play webm in iOS 10

Colored me shocked. Do you have an article about this?

And this is why jPhones are for street shitting third worlders that can't afford unlimited LTE.

Z5 Compact then, dude.

Cmon now, the market is designed to get people to think exactly that.

>2016
>2013
>Two years old

And I'm retarded?

What the fuck do you do that requires more than 2 GB a month? Serious question.

For the camera app you just activate expert mode (or however its called)
And I dunno what you mean for the interface being bigger, its normal for 5.5 inchers
Unless you start taking off/on the back every 20 seconds like an autist, its pretty solid

Z3 Compact came out in 2014, shitstain
Kill yourself

businessinsider.com/android-iphone-market-share-by-price-2014-8

cultofmac.com/398525/is-there-a-class-divide-between-iphone-and-android/

theregister.co.uk/2015/06/19/its_true_android_is_the_poor_mans_phone/

:^)

Is the nexus 9 worth buying? Currently my parents have a nexus 10 but it's becoming very slow and kind of annoying to use.
I'm going to root and flash some custom roms on it to see if that speeds it up at all, but if that doesn't work then I want to know what alternatives I have.

I had a pretty good experience with the nexus so I want to stay with the line, but I've heard conflicting opinions about the 9.

What the fuck do you do that doesn't require more than 2 gb a month?

>amerisharts
lol, even the poorest of Europeans can afford unlimited LTE.

android needing bs tricks to dither and smooth out app animations is such crap.

Wait for the price drop. If you're like me and dont need top end specs, a price drop of the 5x or 6p will be perfect

Different guy here, but I live in a city so I'm out and about frequently, and I also don't have Wi-Fi at work. I have 5GB monthly and I use it.

Tab S2
Nvidia Shield
Nexus is meme

Since you won't answer, I will.

I just check email, post on a few chans, and read some tech/science articles. Some times I'll play a youtube video if I need to get a visual example of a recipe or diy project.

>so making your homescreen cute is more important than performance

nice deflection

Is it worth it to wait for LG V20 or should I just go for the Note 7? Money is not an issue, but Samsung bloatware is.

Ugly
Basic
Unstable
Restricted
Pointless Updates

Don't go for either of those. Wait for the new nexus devices.

Buy both and use whichever you feel like on that day

Is it still worth getting the Nexus 6p? I have a 5x right now and I can't stand it. I can get the 6p for 350- should I go for it or should I wait for the new nexuses?

>iOS is unstable

Top kek.

>Ugly
I'll give you that, but all the cool kids are into flat icons. I'll deal.

>Restricted
Also hard to steal because of it.

name five things wrong with Android.

GO

not worth upgrading from a 5x. It probably won't even be worth an upgrade to this year's nexus devices with a device that recent.
What don't you like about it? From what I understand the 5X is very similar to my moto x pure, and I still love mine

>Top kek

I have shit crash all the time on iOS compared to Android. Just from personal experience.

Just get the Note 7
The stylus has no viable competitor in the current weed lmao year

-slow
-laggy
-crappy