Why does Sup Forums hate BSD?

Why does Sup Forums hate BSD?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera_(operating_system)
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/?task=search2&ghost=&search_text=&search_subject=&search_username=&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=13129702&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_media_hash=&search_op=all&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=post
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/image/e4MZneVJ0dF29Ka1DWwpig
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/image/PcnYFu0JwD-H-NmmTzeudA
businessinsider.com/what-is-rokos-basilisk-2014-8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

linux is for friendly autists
freebsd is for the annoying turbo autists who make a lot of noise

We don't hate 'em braa, just do your thing and stop ragging on us. Let's help each other out is all I am saying

GNU/+Linux and BSD should unite together and destroy Windows and Macfags.

Windorks amirite

BSD is Linux except you don't have to tinker with it after you get it up and running. It's practical. Linux on the desktop folks hate it when shit works. They want stuff to be breaking constantly so it gives them a reason to hack away at stuff.

No legitimate reason other than the BSD licence. I personally prefer the GPL licence but still use FreeBSD on my server

There are a few shitposters that can't stand the thought of someone using BSD and the rest are GNU zealots who hate it because of the license.

/Thread

BSD is a useless hippie trash

I don't hate bsd, just the faggots who use it.

I don't hate BSD, they're great systems and I've used them they're really fun to use. I just hate the BSD elitist crew who need to refer to BSD as a superior linux and always whine about muh UNIX philosophy. It's a fine family of operating systems if you manage to ignore the toxic, elitist community it has.

BSD is what you use when you think windows is too mainstream and you gotta look cool

>when you think windows is too mainstream

Windows is too mainstream, it's in fact the most popular operating system in the consumer market right now.

Caught a live one.

Sorry I am out of special snowflake points to give

Linux if for people that hate WIndows. BSD is for people that love UNIX :^)

Not really. Linux has powershell, Windows has bash these days.

Irrelevant memes like Unix can keep crying in the corner

I don't use BSD, but nice projecting. I was just disagreeing with what you posted about Windows not being too mainstream when it actually is.

Sup Forums don't hate BSD. Why do you assume Sup Forums hates BSD?

Tell us about the wonderful life as a BSD-user. Preach your gospel and make us switch. I guess this is the intention of this thread.

>Tell us about the wonderful life as a BSD-user.
No softwares or drivers

>inb4 that one autist shows up who claims no Linux distro had drivers for his laptop but BSD did

I actually started OpenBSD on my toy laptop because of better drivers than windows

>no softwares
lol I don't care, I use a Mac anyways :-DDD

>No softwares or drivers

At least post a genuine reason to dislike BSD, people won't take you seriously if these are your criticisms against it.

Pretty sure when someone learns the fact that not even qbittorrent runs on OpenBSD, people will not even think of taking BSD seriously

tried installing bsd
something went wrong
shit won't install properly something about not detecting usb devices

fuck that shit
installed mint instead
just werked

>qbittorrent

Don't really care, I use other torrent clients. Besides if you want to run linux software then you should just run Linux. BSD isn't Linux nor does it try to be.

What's the issue with making a true claim?

Fuck you, faggot.

Windows is basically the only OS on the market that isn't Unix in some way or another.

BSD: Actual Unix.
OS X, iOS: Based on Darwin, itself a derivative of BSD
GNU / Linux: Designed as a Unix clone
Android: Uses the Linux kernel

The only people who hate BSD on Sup Forums are conformists who want to prove how much they conform. They think they conform to some GNU/Linux autist group: it's really the same sort of psychology behind bronies and SJWs.

BSD gives all power to the owner of the code

GPL gives all power to the users of the code

BSD is a whore license used by companies who want to pimp out software by first luring people in under the guise of freedom.

Typical freetard delusion.

free: too mainstream
net: no applications
open: too autistic for autists

- Not as much drivers
- Grep is slower than GNU one
- License allows companies like sony to take code and not have to give anything back.
- Ports is a shitter paludis/portage

Wrong. Big companies only use GPL. For example: Oracle. Oracle uses the GPL to force people to give code to Oracle, while Oracle, owning the copyright, has no obligation back to the people.
GPL is fascist.

Sup Forums worked for Redhat.

Honest answer, it's slow. Unless you're somewhat competent. Not everyone is.

>lol I dont care
No you do care. Only your piece of shit OS downs have qBittorrent

Fuck off mactard

Doesn't

Eat shit and die, middle schooler.

Learning about Linux is easy, resources everywhere. Linux gets you a job. user doesn't know BSD, but the few videos I tried to watch put me to sleep. That and terminal reminds me of cmd prompt too much.

I disagree. I learnt BSD because the documentation for GNU/Linux was abysmal. The FreeBSD Handbook is superb.

freebsd has it

I think you may have gotten the two confused. They don't call it Nothing Werks+BSD for nothing, y'know.

>nobody develops for it
>OS that just screams hipster
>so insecure there's a babby's first rootkits book on it

/thread

>le fascism is bad maymay

>le freedom isn't good maymay

>They don't call it Nothing Werks+BSD for nothing, y'know.
Nobody calls it that, you fucking autist.

>They don't call it Nothing Werks+BSD for nothing, y'know
>he's still forcing that

it still used unix philosophy

Enjoy your portsnap vulnerability

Get the fuck out, mactoddler

i dont use it but its disingenuous to claim the BSDs dont have qbittorrent

See

so is BSD more secure than Ubuntu or Arch?

Theo de Rat

the fact that there's a port/package for freebsd proves that it COULD run on openbsd, it's just that no one cared enough to port it

most of the time openbsd ports are based on either freebsd or netbsd ports

>no one cared enough to port it
probably openbsd is meant for routers

It's pretty redundant

I wish there was a port of Genera ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera_(operating_system) ), rather than a bunch of shitty UNIX ports and the odd BeOS port.

Genera was good. Genera was life.

What descriptor is there above the turbo autist level appropriate for this kind of hipsterdom?

>>OS-provided garbage collection for C programs.

Wtf am I even reading.

why are lisp people so obnoxious

no u

I'd be interested. I want to know the MIT way. Right now I only know the Unix way.

I tried a bsd desktop and it sucked balls.
Everyday there's shills on Sup Forums claiming it's vastly superior for every use.
Every day there's shills claiming it's license is "more free" than the gpl.
Every day there's shills claiming the gpl is "viral" or "communist".
But the fact is, the gpl is the reason gnu+linux has surpassed bsd in every way BECAUSE of the gpl. The only place BSD has a majority market share is in game consoles. Who knows how much BSD is really in apple software anymore?
The BSD license makes sense in some situations, so it's good that it exists, but it's not generally better.
If you want to broaden your horizons and tinker with something different, give BSD a try for your desktop. If you want something that just works, use gnu+linux.

>openbsd is meant for routers
It's good for routers, not meant for routers. Hell the developers dogfood it as a desktop OS.

Because BSD ""users"" don't care if their OS is unusable crap

>I tried a bsd desktop and it sucked balls.
You did it wrong.
>Everyday there's shills on Sup Forums claiming it's vastly superior for every use.
I've never seen anyone claim that, and I'm in practically every BSD thread.
>Every day there's shills claiming it's license is "more free" than the gpl.
Well they're not wrong.
>Every day there's shills claiming the gpl is "viral" or "communist".
Well they're not wrong.
>But the fact is, the gpl is the reason gnu+linux has surpassed bsd in every way BECAUSE of the gpl
No, it's because Linux started gaining traction at the same time BSD was caught up in lawsuits.
>how much BSD is really in apple software anymore?
A lot.

look i posted it again xD

i like how you didn't screenshot the other, saner reply

>the autist is still posting screencaps of my post
top fucking kek

i think he's actually renaming it every time too just so we can't go on the archives to laugh at him

>Lawsuits.
Novell had it's own battles with sco.
Microsoft makes more money patent trolling android makers than they do from selling windows phones. They also troll businesses that use linux constantly.

And?

>lol I don't care XDDD

Point proven

>a desktop OS.
>BSD
>OpenBSD

No

I just want a nice Unix system to use as a desktop OS. I like OpenBSD and it works for me so I use it. I couldn't give less of a shit about any of that shit he was bitching about, so I responded accordingly. Don't like it? Fucking use something else. Nobody's asking you to use OpenBSD, nobody's telling you to. The BSD threads are created to discuss the operating systems then you go in and shit on everything you possibly can because your life is so fucking pathetic you've got nothing better to do than whine about technology being discussed on a technology board. You're a hilariously sad person, I pity both you and your parents who are burdened with supporting you and have lost their basement to their autistic manchild of a son.

>No
But that's wrong, you fucking dumbass.

>I just want a nice Unix system to use as a desktop OS

Who cares about Unix again? I want to use softwares in my desktops, not circlejerk about muh unix philosophy while using other OSes to get shit done like a hypocrite

That's where you are wrong, retard

>Who cares about Unix again?
Me. If you don't you're free to fuck off and use whatever the fuck you prefer.
>while using other OSes like a hypocrite
This is one of the most retarded things I've ever read on this board.

>That's where you are wrong, retard
No, it's a fucking undeniable fact that the devs dogfood their OS. OpenBSD is developed for the developers, the developers develop it as their main OS.

>OpenBSD is developed for the developers
What are some decent IDEs that you can use in OpenBSD?

Let's start with Emacs..

I don't care much about any OS features. I am a simple man. The only thing I need is a decent package manager with all programs that I would use available on it, trivial to install.

I couldn't care less about UNIX features. I boot up a Linux distro for programming tasks not because of the shell, but simply because installing open source tools on windows is a horrible experience. Give me a package manager for windows that everyone actually uses and I'd use that.

What the fuck does that have to do with anything?

Did you hit your head on something?

>OS developed for developers
>Integrated Developing Environments have nothing to do with it

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/?task=search2&ghost=&search_text=&search_subject=&search_username=&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=13129702&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_media_hash=&search_op=all&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=post

And I stole ur excuse for BSD not getting linux-like adoption.
And you should drop the viral not as free shit, it makes you look like an idiot.

>And you should drop the viral not as free shit, it makes you look like an idiot
What the fuck are you on about?
>spells "your" as "ur"
>thinks he's in any position to be insulting others' intelligence

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/image/e4MZneVJ0dF29Ka1DWwpig
and this too

What is the autist trying to say here?

what i'm trying to say is that YOU are the autist

you literally go all over Sup Forums just to call people cucks and post the same pics

Was that supposed to be an response to ?

yes
and this one too
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/image/PcnYFu0JwD-H-NmmTzeudA

>actually searching archives when running out of arguments

Autism is strong here

>waaah people point out when im retarded!

>Waah, people point out I ran out of arguments

there was no argument from you in the first place

So,

Name some full-featured IDE's in OpenBSD..

businessinsider.com/what-is-rokos-basilisk-2014-8

that has nothing to do with anything we were talking about

you're really reaching, stop trying so hard

But I do love BSD. The devs make great things such as DTrace and OpenZFS. It also has an even smaller footprint than Linux and the philosophy for rolling out the base is a fantastic way of doing things for stability.

Though I have to say I like Linux more for the desktop and I like BSD for some servers.

You are the one who claimed OpenBSD is dev'd for devs. I see nothing wrong in asking a list of IDEs that work on that OS

[spoiler] Like GNU Emacs [/spoiler]

what the fuck is the point

i'd give a list to you then you'd just go "WAIT A MINUTE IT DOESN'T HAVE MICROSOFT VISUAL BASIC! OWNED XD"

No he's not, that'd be me. And I'm not well versed when it comes to IDEs, I've only ever used Emacs. Regardless it is entirely irrelevant to the discussion.

>Pretending to be the one I was talking with
Is sucking others' cock really that common ITT?

Someone claimed "OpenBSD is developed for developers"

>Someone claimed "OpenBSD is developed for developers"
Yeah, me, you fucking moron.