Are more expensive NAS memes? Is there much difference between high end and cheap options other than potential capacity?

Are more expensive NAS memes? Is there much difference between high end and cheap options other than potential capacity?

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Norco-Mini-ITX-Form-Computer-Server-Storage-Case-support-8-x-hot-swap-drive-/122005590540?hash=item1c6819920c:g:g~wAAOSwtJZXUlk7
syncthing.net/
arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/09/forcing-suspects-to-reveal-phone-passwords-is-unconstitutional-court-says/
computersnyou.com/3193/install-ubuntu-14-04-desktop-encrypted-lvm/
stum.de/2015/09/24/building-a-nas-with-openbsd/
mwave.com.au/product/qnap-ts4512g-4-bay-diskless-nas-quadcore-20ghz-cpu-2gb-ram-ab69794#detailTabs=tabAccessories
megabuy.com.au/amd-athlon-5350-205-ghz-p470926.html
au.pcpartpicker.com/product/Z68H99/asrock-motherboard-h110mitx
au.pcpartpicker.com/product/YV7CmG/intel-cpu-bx80662g4400
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/p7V7qs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I have the >Acer Altos EasyStore NAS
Does everything I need it to, you can go for the more expensive options but usually they just have extra features such as security and more bays etc. It depends what you need,

Just looking to have some storage accessible by 2 computers, I would like a few TB but 3/4 bays would be more than enough. Just wondering if these ones which are double/triple the price actually bring anything more to the table?

Mainly game emulation, not sure if that's something that even needs extra performance really.

Synology FTW (avg network write speed ~80-100Mb/sec).
WD - just say no... (Lousy network performance - 6Mb/sec on same network)

Are there any NAS with a built in self destruct feature?

I have a TS-420. just checked the settings and no it doesn't.

Synolgy supports loads of plugins (native and 3rd-party. If there isn't a plugin you can use, write your own...

you don't need the whole hotswappable shit.
just get a mini-itx and mini-itx case and put the hdd's in.

You have to look at what you are getting. Some Have crappy arm processors that are slower than a raspberry pi. Qnap, Synology, and thecus each have their own app store / plugins that have neat features like Plex. Basically you need to read the reviews.

If you know how to run Linux you are better off building your own nas. Go on Ebay and search "Hot swap case". You can build a server that has 8 bays for the cost of a Synology or Qnap that only has 4. Put your flavor of linux on it, with a btrfs filesystem.
ebay.com/itm/Norco-Mini-ITX-Form-Computer-Server-Storage-Case-support-8-x-hot-swap-drive-/122005590540?hash=item1c6819920c:g:g~wAAOSwtJZXUlk7

Currently using a WD My Cloud with two bays holding two 4tb hard drives in raid1. I mostly use it for storing my music, anime and movies while seeding it to private trackers. Very happy with the NAS.

To add to this I use a program call SyncThing to make staggered backups of my computer every 60 seconds, and Samba to make a windows network share.

syncthing.net/

Well I have 2 rigs, one of them as a lot of bays. Is it even worth me getting a NAS?

Dumb Question but do NAS have an OS? Or do they just act like a external hdd?

This. I put together a tiny ITX box for like $200 that shits on most NAS boxes at twice the price. And a lot of those boxes don't even include a hard drive.

If you live in the United States you are much better off using an encrypted LVM and instead of the self destruct feature having the machine turn off. Using a self destruct feature on your sever is Obstruction of Justice and is a felony. So lets say you had nothing illegal on your server you might still go to jail for self destructing it also destroying any information of you innocence when it self destructs.

Where as if you encrypt it with a strong password and unbreakable encryption the Fifth Amendment protects you from being a witness against yourself, and there is case law that makes it so you do not have to give up your password. (however countries like Russia and china will imprison you until you reveal you password)

arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/09/forcing-suspects-to-reveal-phone-passwords-is-unconstitutional-court-says/

computersnyou.com/3193/install-ubuntu-14-04-desktop-encrypted-lvm/

Oh please. Nobody will put you in jail in Russia, it's illegal. Thermorectal cryptonalysis will be used by authorities instead.

>Implying America is any different
There's currently someone in America being imprisoned indefinitely for not giving the password to his encrypted drives. I thought you guys had freedom...

You're better off using self destruct and claiming that you bought the NAS broken to see if you could salvage anything.

They normally have their own OS (usually based on some linux distro). As other have said, each brand has their own set of apps you can use if you want more than just network shares.

A high end NAS can act as a SAN, with high bandwith, robust hardware, multiple network cards, and a good capability for virtualization.

Basicaly if you want a private cloud to stream your pirated movies you just need to make sure it has enough bandwith, processing power and ram (and it's not that high if you don't stream 4k).

Depends, a NAS will use less power than your system so unless your system is running 24/7 you might want to get a NAS.

Also, a NAS can be in a different room/building, and a Raid5 nas with full disk encryption can be rapidely shut down physicaly by you without killing your main station.
You just need to pull out 2 disks (or all if you can) and your raid is fucked. If the guy reforms the raid he'll still have an aes256 or serpent to crack.

Features and performance, currently using a Synology DS 216+ II, it can do a lot of things, don't get in my way and is fast.

what's a good NAS OS? Thinking of building my own one.

stum.de/2015/09/24/building-a-nas-with-openbsd/

Works well and full encryption is strong.

I'd still recommand a good qnap NAS over a custom built one, you can have a very solid 4 bay NAS from them under the price of one disk you'll put in it, it's worth it just for the good RAID card, support and ease of use. Also, electrical consumption.

But if you are on a budget your BSD nas can also be a router and a firewall, altough I don't recommand doing that.

HP microserver nigga

>(avg network write speed ~80-100Mb/sec).
That's poor.

copying form a samba share over a 1Gbit/s network build on btrfs RAID1 on a HP microserver.
>buying a OEM NAS
>ever

All computers need an OS in order to function.

mwave.com.au/product/qnap-ts4512g-4-bay-diskless-nas-quadcore-20ghz-cpu-2gb-ram-ab69794#detailTabs=tabAccessories
vs

>Where as if you encrypt it with a strong password and unbreakable encryption the Fifth Amendment protects you
no it doesnt. check the news

How long do you think an Atom C2550 will last as a NAS using Plex? I've got an ASRock one with a dozen SATA ports and it's handling two streams 1080p Chinese fingerpuppets just fine, but I can't seem to get higher than 60MB/s if I'm transferring files at the same time.

TS-431 does all i want for a comfy media/torrent box + waaaay more.

Just get your own ITX case and atom/celeron itx board and stuff some ubongu distro on it.

The Atom itself will last at least 15+ years of constant use, just like any other Intel CPU. Expect other parts to break before that. You'll want to upgrade far before you'll wear it out.

what's a good mobo/cpu combo that's low powered and can be had for less than $200AUD?

What do you mean last? Also saying "Plex" isn't descriptive at all. First of all it depends if your clients are direct streaming or not. The CPU load for a transcode will be much heavier than direct streaming and even then it depends on the streaming quality settings and on the files themselves.

Well, I meant in terms of decent performance with higher bitrate or resolution videos. I don't have any 4K videos to test it out with other than a really low bitrate movie that uses about the same CPU power as a 1080 high bandwidth video.

>gigabit
>screenshot says 110 megabit

Also, I'd avoid my ASRock board and buy a Gigabyte one with the mini-SAS connectors on the mobo. My SATA controller keeps dropping ports if they're all fully occupied. I've tried putting a heatsink on it to see if it was the temperature causing the issue, but nothing really changed.

(you)

>what is byte

I bought a refurbished Dell Optipliex for $90 on Newegg.
I threw in a couple of new hard drives in it and just mapped it with FTP.

It will probably struggle a little bit when you move on to 4K with decent bitrate, wildly guessing it'll work for 4K as long as you don't do too much other shit on it at the same time.

My NAS burnt its original gigabyte mobo, not too big fan of gigabyte after that.

megabuy.com.au/amd-athlon-5350-205-ghz-p470926.html will this support 4k streaming?

880 megabits is still not gigabit.

> Russian shill-bots on Sup Forums

Are you fuckin stupid or what?

Could be related to your power supply rather than your mobo, but I've had some pretty good luck with server-class Gigabyte motherboards. ASRock Rack have always been shit and Supermicro is good, but expensive for what you get.

Probably, still want to blame gigabyte for some reason, they could have designed the board to handle shit tier PSUs.

>insisting that < 1 = 1
>calling others stupid

I said on a 1Gbit line, not that it would be 1Gbit in speed. Retard.

how many watts is too many? I've seen builds with CPUs less than 24W but 54 W seems pretty standard

Why are you back peddling all of the sudden?

He isn't, you're just an illiterate mongoloid.

I second this WD can go fuck them selves I have a dx4000 and installing debian on it has been an utter pain in the ass. The motherfucking box has secure boot and if you try to sneak linux into it the mother fucking POS will just say "HEY!, IM PRO NSA MOTHER FUCKER WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" and then just activate secure boot ... fucking kikes man... also fucking buying their drives this POS can only accept drives in the whitelist.... REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I'm not the one claiming gigabit when it's not and then
going full damage conrol

You're the only one claiming gigabit, retard.

OP I don't know if that will answer Your question but You posted almost mu NAS so I will tell You what I do.

Recently I discovered that more power efficient for torrent is my cell left with utorrent for the night and that is mostly what I use NAs for except for storage.

After file completion I simply use app to transfer files to NAS and then switch it off for power savings.

Is Expensive NAS a meme? Probably depends what You have in mind when You buy it.
Would I but by NAS again knowing what I know today? Probably not - I would buy some externall hdd and use it with my laptop and cellphone.

I use FreeNAS on mine. It's built on top of FreeBSD and has all the feature I want, including jails, crontab, rsync, sharing, etc accessible from a web interface. While I could do it all from a command line, it's not particularly friendly. Plus the config backups from FreeNAS have saved my ass a few times when flash drives shit out; just make a new boot drive, upload your old config and everything is back the way it was.

It would BARELY be able to handle a single 1080p transcode. Look for a cheap rack server on ebay with nice CPUs in it. You need ~2k on pass mark for each simultaneous transcoded, plus some for OS overhead etc

I actually own the fucking thing, so I know what it can do because I'm doing it right now. I'm streaming Poketits on my HTPC and Amusement Parktits on my Personal PC at the same time, both 1080p (lowish bitrate, admittedly; I think Poketits was upscaled). Transfers shit the bed when I'm doing this, though.

It's not on normal Gigabit consumer networking and desktop hard drives.

i've been using freenas for years. i like it. really easy to use.

I'd like something to stream movies off of and also the possibility to seed torrents 24/7. With a metric shitload of space. I'm paying for the 2nd most expensive Internet package so might as well use it.

I read these products and I have no idea what a qnas or a plex or any of that means.

that's pretty much what i use my freenas box for. i have transmission+sickrage set up to auto download/seed/copy+organize my tv shows, and i stream my downloaded tv shows/movies off it

it's pretty easy to set up

Are you using a regular desktop?

I still think a NAS is a waste of money

Just put those disks into your desktop instead

I still think using your desktop as a server is a waste

Just put those disks in your low power server

Oh wait, that's what an NAS is.

yea. it's actually an old shitty compaq that i had laying around, i took the mobo out, put it in a new case, and bought some HDs for it, and set up freenas

If you only have one computer that needs to access the same files, then you're right. If you have two or more within the same room (or the same desk), then an external DAS would make better sense. NAS is for homes or offices that have multiple computers throughout the house that needs access to the same files.
If you live alone in a studio apartment, then you have no need for a NAS. If you have a laptop, just buy a multibay external hard drive enclosure.

same link bro

Wow Sup Forums, you fight about tech like little bitches.

I'm jelly :(

Jelly like Lain singing in the rain of pain........

au.pcpartpicker.com/product/Z68H99/asrock-motherboard-h110mitx

au.pcpartpicker.com/product/YV7CmG/intel-cpu-bx80662g4400

just get a banana pi or an odroid or some other single-board

>Are more expensive NAS memes?
Depends on what you're doing. But no, not really.

>Is there much difference between high end and cheap options other than potential capacity?
IOPS. $30K+ is small money for a system that will push ~30K random IOPS.

Something like a VNX 7600 can easily hit high 6 figures.

>$30K+ is small money for a system that will push ~30K random IOPS
Or just buy a $150 low power i3, recycle your old build into a NAS, and buy some $250 PCIe SSDs/M.2 with PCIe adapters.

do you have a particular brand of hdd enclosures you would recommend?

why not just build a nas?

Joke's on you, that encryption won't save you once quantum computers are a thing.

i've found that a prebuilt nas is rarely a good option. in many cases, it's better (and easier in the long run) to just build a pc and upgrade accordingly. particularly if you have most of the parts lying around already. this is also the only usage case in which you'd look at the case first rather than processor. find a case that has all the bays you need. then look at all your other options. another advantage that a pc has over a nas is that you can upgrade at any time, in case your usage case changes.

A prebuilt nas will outperform most selfmade builds when it comes down to power usage and administration.
Another problem with selfmade nas devices is the noise & cooling.

>Another problem with selfmade nas devices is the noise & cooling.
You hardly need any cooling for a few HDDs and a CPU idling at

They're all hit or miss reliability-wise. Just look up what USB-to-SATA controller they have (usually ASMedia if they're the cheaper 2-4 bay DAS) and whether or not they come with a built-in REPLACEABLE fan. Replaceable fans are a god-send and all hard drive enclosures should come with them.

>A prebuilt nas will outperform most selfmade builds when it comes down to power usage and administration
Unless you have a massive 16 disk+ array, the difference isn't as noticeable as you're hinting in terms of power consumption, provided that you're using either an Air/Silvermont-based embedded processor, or a Bobcat/Jaguar/Puma-based embedded APU, both of which have sub-15W TDPs and a total system power consumption rating in the 25-45W from the wall. It also helps to have a more powerful processor with more threads at a slightly higher TDP (ideally around 25W) because they'll use about the same amount of power at a much lower load as a weaker CPU with a lower TDP working a much higher load. The cheapest 4-core Avoton NAS box I've seen was about $800 without any disks, and it uses the same ASRock Rack ITX motherboard that you can buy off the shelf for less than a third of that price.
>Another problem with selfmade nas devices is the noise & cooling
If you're using a standard PC case, then sure noise will be an issue. If you are willing to spend a bit extra on a decent ITX/mATX case with dust filters and plenty of room for fans, then you can build a much cooler NAS with slightly higher acoustics. I've worked with NAS cases that were stuffed into a corner of closets for months and they start choking up with dust, causing the fans to run faster and making them whine like a bitch. On the other hand, 99.9% of all cases out there do not support hotswappable drive bays without buying 5.25" adapters, which modern small cases don't even include these days.

lolno.

Though that should have read:
>$30K+ is small money for a system that will push ~30K random IOPS across 24T.

For a moment there, I thought you were talking about the storage drives, not the network itself. What block sizes are we talking about here?

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/p7V7qs rate my build without drives/RAM

I thought about this for my Phenom station but its too loud and powerful for this.

What is a good 4 bay NAS for personal use? Primarily to stream HQ movies.

In the united states they will literally just throw you in jail until you unlock the drive.
There is even a cop in jail because he still wont unlock his drive.

What speeds are you getting with samba > windows?
I average 5 mbps, max 20 mbps over gigabit connections. its bullshit.