So what HDD brands does Sup Forums usually stick to?

So what HDD brands does Sup Forums usually stick to?

I find Toshiba have some really nice price points but I'm not sure about the reliability.

Toshiba is the most reliable, second is HGST (Hitachi), WD are meh, Seagate the worst

Toshiba or Hitachi.

WD has good warranty and speeds, but they tend to start dying after a year of use.

Samsung is okay.

Seagate is the worst thing you can buy.

no WD has ever died on me. what exactly are you doing with your HDDs? you know you are not supposed to go on a trampoline with them right?

Ive always had WDs my entire life, mainly because how they are priced in my country, and I havent had a single issue. Is Toshiba really the best? Never had one.

i have 40gb seagate from 1999 or 2000, still works flawlessly

seagate is cool

WD failure rate is close to Seagate.
Except they don't die completely like the Seagates, instead they start developing bad blocks after a year.
I have an external WD and have run a low level format on it every 6 months.

You probably have these too, you just didn't check.

>from 1999 or 2000
>if company had good quality 20 years ago it means it has good quality forever

Try buying one post-2010.

Toshiba drives are just rebranded Hitachi drives so they should be okay.

I don't use rotating drives anymore.

The seagate 1.5TBs are the worst you can buy. The rest of their range is fine.

Just avoid refurbs. Turns out that if you buy consumer-tier seagate refurbs and then stick them in a rack with a vibration problem they fail more than non-refurbs.

Samsung SSDs are love
Samsung SSDs are live

I use WD HDDs and only stick to SanDisk SSDs

>buying seagate drive

how do i check it ?

I've got a whole box of Seagate hard drives pulled out of some old Dell Optiplex towers. From what I know of, the hard drives were on pretty much all day and first used in 2010. Only a couple have bad sectors

WD, never died. Still using one daily, it's almost a decade old.

WD is bad memes are only 2015- present WDs right? I still have a blue fron 2011 that is running with no problems.

With a disk checker or manager. Like Crystal Disk Mark.
Even windows scandisk surface check works, but takes forever.

now what?

HDD - Hitachi because it has Japanese name = Quality

SSD - cheapest possible

WD is my favourite currently, but Toshiba is a close second.

I'm willing to give up a slightly faster ssd for a much larger hdd, and that's what WD offers, plus their shit fits my case well.

HGST, would definitely buy Toshiba drives though.

Toshiba X300/MD04 (4/5/6TB versions)
Avoid all the other Toshiba HDDs if you can.
HGST's 7200rpm Deskstars are okay for reliability, but pretty slow for speed.
WD Blue = WD Green = head parking PoS
WD Black = loud, expensive drive that is matched by a cheaper X300 (except the monsterous 5/6TB drives, which currently have no equal)
Seagate had to rebrand their drives again because of flagging sales. Only their NAS drives were worth much of anything because of how cheap they were.

Buy a Toshiba Canvio (non-portable) external drive if you want cheap 4TB+ HDDs that are worth a damn. You can take out the bare drives from the cheap plastic enclosure and Toshiba will still uphold their warranty on the drive itself. I don't think HGST externals usually are as cheap as their bare internal drives, so just buy bare HGST drives if you can.

>some really nice price points
End yourself.

Eh sorry, I meant Crystal Disk Info. Pic related. Launch it and it will show everything, including the bad blocks.

hitachi, hitachi, hitachi
never failed for me

Hitachi drivers were IBM-made before they sold their hard drive business to hitachi

Toshiba and Hitachi are my goto brands currently (Deskstars RIP). SSD's generally grab a Samsung EVO or Adata on sale/discount.

now what?

Now nothing. It would light red if something was wrong.

yep. I'm still using one from 2005