I'm installing Ubuntu GNOME as we speak

I'm installing Ubuntu GNOME as we speak.

Tell me why I've made a bad choice.

Because when you switch to a wm you'll be stuck with the remnants of your bloated de

>not windows

Gnome is native to Fedora and has update cycle same to one another. Ubuntu lag behind on gnome cycle and has a retarded update cycle, which is currently on 3.18 so you will get old shit on it. If you manually add gnome-staging repo and install 3.20 then it breaks because ubuntu officially doesn't even support it till 16.10. But gnome on fedora is already on 3.20.2 and next update will be 3.22.9 while you will only get 3.20.1. So it will be best if you stick with unity.

This desu. OP, you should have stuck with a better system like Arch or Gentoo.

>noobuntu/gnome3
you're fucked

You You haven't. This just werks and is comfy af

The worst part is that Ubuntu gnome/Ubuntu unity is still using files 3.14. Only now they're planning to finally upgrade to files 3.20.

congrats op, you have now turned your desktop into a tablet!

if you want know you should go with fedora. it is better in every way.

fucking autocorrect.

if you want GNOME you should go with fedora.

Ubuntu Unity is uglier, but more stable since it is the standard. Debian Testing would be better for Gnome. Fedora is a whole other can of shit, but they're also main Gnome.

Install Gentoo.

Manjaro

/thread

I shall give you a reason why you made a good choice. You have chosen a living distro. A distro with a lots and lots of apps. You have also chosen to install Gnome. This is a good choice. Gnome is the OS of the future.

All the rest of the wm's are dying. You are progressive and smart.

I use Gentoo and Gnome. Don't listen to these people.

NSA/systemd

I like GNOME 3 and wanted to get ubuntu gnome for me fresh install recently, but the fucking nvidia driver just wouldnt work with dconf. After a bunch of googling, had to go with the good ol vanila

"GNOME" is the cancer.
It fucking lags on an i7 desktop

What the hell are you talking about?

wtf are you talking about? You have no clue

>he doesn't realize systemd is designed by the NSA

wow user lurk more

>muh gubament tracking
Fuck off. Even using Fedora or Debian doesn't change a thing. And it's not like you check the source codes for these distros anyway.

>"af"
kill yourself

What an evil man you are..

Xubuntu is better.

Because KDE is far better.

I agree somewhat, but all are pretty unstable and buggy

Gnome is love.
Gnome is life.

Remember that dash to dock is for hipsters that are too poor to afford a mac.

I don't understand this. Why is even the minimal installation so bloated?

How do you gnomefags swith between GPU drivers? I have steamOS installed and can't find shit.

why would you do this to yourself

Because experience with steam on Ubuntu was horrible, and I've decided to give it a try/

In principle, you should be able to switch drivers with a single line in your xorg config file.

In reality, depending on your setup, and I shit you not, the easiest way might be to uninstall the unused driver and install the active driver each time you want to swap.

Currently running Ubuntu Gnome 16.04.1 myself and I have to say that I'm going back to Arch soon. I installed this to see how Ubuntu was doing but things like setting the swapping parameter don't do a damn thing in Ubuntu for some reason.

Sometimes I've got the feeling that the os just isn't stable as wel. Like sometimes I get just short little hangs of the os for no reason.
When I was running Arch I've had a hell of a lot more stable and somewhat smoother experience. I honestly reccomend Arch tbqfhwy. Setting it up with a DE takes care of a lot of the manual work. Takes about 30 minutes to set up.

I honestly hope Canonical gets their shit together when they're supposed to make sure everything is stable.

Forgot pic related.

i use mint cinnamon and never had a problem with steam. the only thing i did was install the nvidia drivers and steam, otherwise i didnt touch a damn thing since im a noob and will probably break shit

sudo apt-get purge gnome-* gdm* && sudo apt-get --purge autoremove && sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get install lightdm xmonad && sudo systemctl enable lightdm && sudo reboot

>Linux
>it just works

>Impying there is a need for a DM

You can audit the src but it's a binary distro fa m.

s/lightdm/fluxbox/g

No. We discussed this.
Antergos.

lol what? i run it on a sandybridge i5 with intel hd 3000 graphics and it is smooth as butter

I don't speak
Fuck you

You lie

Because both Ubuntu, and GNOME are bloated.

Runs at 150mb free when xserver is started.

Unused memory is wasted memory

>Install once
>network not working
>maybe I did somehing wrong
>try again
>nope

>few months later
>try installing antergos again
>Xorg doesnt work

>fast foward a couple months
>try again
>network doesn't work

>try arch
>it works
>try debian
>it works
>try manjaro
>manjaro's page is down but the system werks

I don't know why Antergos refuses to work on my system.

> Potential energy is wasted energy

>i didnt touch a damn thing since im a noob and will probably break shit
I envy your self-control.

Can the recent "kill yourself" meme end already? I see it being posted everywhere all the time over the pettiest of things. It's unfunny at best.

You're competent enough for Debian, why regress?

this.
everything fucking works. and it's archutism free

>install gentoo