Is it worth it to learn C++

I'm going to uni, and my counselor says that I need a CS elective to be on track for bs. The only classes that have availability within my schedule are "Learn the basics of C++ with Microsoft Visual Studio (R)" and "Design games with free browser based tools".

I am computer literate, I have fallen for the arch meme before, made the comfiest goddamn terminal you ever seen, I installed Sup Forumsentoo properly on the first try, and I use windows 10 on my other computer for CSGO.

I tried to get programming once, but I only did it when I was bored, and I didn't have any project to work on.

vim>emacs>Visual Studio

Other urls found in this thread:

k12.com/curriculum/high-school-program-courses/high-school-course-list.html
learncodethehardway.org/c/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risch_algorithm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_writing)
k12.com/curriculum/high-school-program-courses/high-school-course-list/computer-science-elective-tch036.overview.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Learn the basics of C++ with Microsoft Visual Studio (R)
wtf is wrong with your university and wtf do you study ? economics?

The second class sounds like it would be at least fun. With C++, you'll just spend hours writing silly console application inputting some numbers and making some calculations on them. In the end, all you'll learn will be baby tier stuff that won't be of any practical use to you.
Learning programming languages for the sake of it sucks. It's much better to learn while building something interesting (like a game).

If you don't know any programming language, then C++ is as good as any. You just learn the basics anyway, so it's like a free tour. And if you like it, do more.

But yeah it's much better (and more fun) if you have a goal/project

this. that visual studio class will be a Microsoft Hugbox

there are great web-based game tools and engines. check out phaser.io

C++ for real men.
You learn C.
Manchild, you stay away real men.
Get hurt.
Get hurt much.

Learn C.
Stay in baby pool...

You forget to mention that C++ is a major pain in the ass for a newbie to learn. It exposes underlying architecture and forces one to deal directly with memory. He'll spend most of his time debugging stupid segmentation faults and trying to figure out ridiculous stl error messages.
Remember the first 10 times you forgot to put ; after the class declaration? Well, somebody who won't be a programmer has no need to go through all of that.

It's always worth learning new stuff user.

Yeah, I agree with you.
But who knows how that course is build, perhaps some good laughs can be had.

>Remember the first 10 times you forgot to put ; after the class declaration?
I literally never once forgot to put a semicolon after a class declaration.

It depends on what you want to focus on. If you want low level programming, going as close to the hardware without necessarily touching assembly, then C is the way to go. If you want to focus on high level programming, C++ is a good language to learn.

>"Learn the basics of C++ with Microsoft Visual Studio (R)"
>"Design games with free browser based tools".
Literally, unironically, burn down your "university"

Just take the C++ course.

You've exposed yourself to the FOSS world, but now's a chance to see what the Microsoft hugbox is all about. It sounds like you never learned programming so the basics might help you out.

I actually thought C++ was easier to learn than for example java.

These language abstract everything away and you're working on a black box.
I could never gain an intuitive understanding of things like references, and I generally remained a shit programmer and I couldn't make anything of my own except for copying stuff other people made before me.

It wasn't until I learned c++ that I gained an understanding of how all this works. It raised my level as a programmer a fucking lot.
I hear a lot of complaints that programmers fresh out of college can't program for shit.
Maybe this is the reason, they learn things like Java and python, but never gain an intuitive understanding of what they're doing.

Well maybe that's just the type of learner I am. It's like how in math you don't understand something and something suddenly clicks and it all becomes so obvious. That's what c++ did to me.

What school? I can't believe any serious CS department would offer these courses

You got me. I'm in my senior year of high school at K12.com.
k12.com/curriculum/high-school-program-courses/high-school-course-list.html
I have to choose from any class that says TCH and has an asterik

Laughing is fun, but if I flunk I'll be a minimum wage suicide watch Neckbeard for life.

Then just go with it. Who knows what you might learn. Maybe at the end you can at least say the course sucked but you know what to do now to progress.

why is so bad to be using microsoft visual studio?
I am going to learn C this semester, what program do you guys recommend ? I think that in my uni they use codeblocks lel.

I tried learning C once, I got 10 exercises into learncodethehardway.org/c/ before I put down the book, walked my dog, and never touched it again. It wouldn't compile, and GNU diff couldn't find any difference between the example code and what I wrote. It was bullshit.

>GNU diff couldn't find any difference between the example code and what I wrote

Different compiler? Compiling for different C standard? Could be any number of things that aren't your code user

I work with C++, recently I tried to make a simple crawler for a client, for his C++ program, I did, it was great and all, efficient and no memory leaks whatsoever, however last night I did it with java, it took me about 2 hours to make it perfect, and the efficiency is the same, I literally spend 20 h of work for something trivial when all I needed, I could build with Python or Java.

C++ is great, Java and all the other OOP shit is great too, but sometimes its not worth the time to use them.

On the good side, if you learn C++ you can learn anything after that, C is the other hard lang, everything else is piece of cake compared to them.

And even, if you see Sup Forums shit on Java, Java is the best OOP there is, hands down. C++ is better for other stuff

>>

Yeah, and also, I've tutored some kids and if you're the type of person who has a very skeptical mind, and you don't accept things as true just because someone says it's true, and you're only comfortable with concepts after seeing the proof for them, it might be best to start with a lower level language.

I hate it when that happens. I remember in precalculus, I had a problem I couldn't solve, and only after sitting in a corner cutting myself and listening to emo music did I realize that the problem was easier than I was making it.

And that's what pissed me off. I couldn't figure out how to fix it because it wasn't my fault.

>Microsoft Visual Studio (R)
This has to be a troll

>Visual Studio
>Visual
You're going to learn VC++; Unless you plan on being a .NET developer, or interested in C#, skip and take a math

It's my senior year, and I don't plan to be a programmer. C++ also teaches problem solving, and getting closer to my computer can help me with a variety of things, but I don't want to take a class that will make me unhappy. I have calculus for that.

Calc teacher making you memorize useless shit?

Bring up Richardson's Theorem, and explain why the Risch Algorithm can only ever be implemented with heuristics.

99% certainty that your teacher knows nothing of decidability.

Many lulz may be had.

Linky:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risch_algorithm

I want to do this (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_writing) for a living. I need another CS credit to graduate because my school is "Hip", and "acknowledges that students need to be more prepared to face a technological world."

In my freshman year, they gave us a class on how to use Word.

Both courses seem like a waste of time, but I think the C++ course might be the best if you want to learn programming, and the games one seem like the best class if you want more time for your other classes.

U-male?

Today is the first day of school, and I have until the 9th of september to decide between C++ or game design.
My calculus teacher only went over the Syllabus today. I don't know if he'll make us memorize stuff. He gave us a packet that will help us review algebra for a better understanding of the basic concepts that calculus is built on.
It will still be hard though, and hard work makes me feel incompetent.

I remember struggling to learn C++ as my first programming language, and suddenly every language after that became a cakewalk.

I have a micropenis, as I am Asian. Your point?

That is the most depressing education I have ever heard.
Pick the C++ then.
No matter how shit the education is, you can push yourself to learn something that might be useful later in life.

I was referencing nu-male university.

Funny you should mention that, as my schooling has been diagnosed as the source of my severe clinical depression!

Nope. Senior year of High School. I lied in the OP

Just go with C++.

Games are going the way of greeting cards.

Calculus is a set of tools for measuring rates of change, and accumulations of infinitesimals. That is it.

Also, derivatives are actually very easy - to get an idea, look up "dual numbers" and try implementing them through operator overloading. That should give context to learning Calculus as well as C++.

Just got a response from the Game design teacher:
"We will be using www.scracth.mit.edu and www.agentcubesonline.com. The class will cover all areas of game design including storyline, characters, game play, level design, etc. Programming is paramount but students by no means need to be or become expert programmers. Assignments will be based on completion with creativity playing a role but not being most important."

Also, don't be discouraged by voluminous material.

Schools have to design curricula for the lowest-functioning students they are literally _required_ to admit. Consequently, a good deal of material is repeated from course to course.

Don't be afraid to skip ahead in the book - most of it will likely rehash material in previous courses.

C++ it is then.

Stay away from game design classes.

There are literally millions of blogs about game design, and they all say the same things.

You can also just parrot some simple game of your interest and grok all the same information.

If you are in the USA: The point here is to avoid paying for free information.

I've heard that game design courses don't really equip you with skills for game development. So it's really a huge waste of time on all fronts.

Exactly.

Just like a liberal arts degree.

Unless you want official record that you _think_ you have money to burn, just don't go that route.

Yeah, even Extra Creditz knows that.

Just found another course that could work.
k12.com/curriculum/high-school-program-courses/high-school-course-list/computer-science-elective-tch036.overview.html or C++ with Visual hugbox?

You kids and your OOP languages.
When will you learn that languages like APL, Idris, and FORTH are superior?

if you want to listen to the neckbeards here and exclusively use vim or emacs then go ahead but if you want to get a job in the real world hun you're gonna be using visual studio most likely

C++ is alright but if anything universities should start with C and teach C++ later on

the problem with it as a language is that there are so many possible solutions to one problem and it's just begging for sloppy code unless you already know what you're doing

>made the comfiest goddamn terminal you ever seen, I installed Sup Forumsentoo properly on the first try, and I use windows 10 on my other computer for CSGO.
>I tried to get programming once, but I only did it when I was bored, and I didn't have any project to work on.
>vim>emacs>Visual Studio

What's the best way to get into C++?
What should I be looking to do / make with the language?

fucking this
trying to wrap my head around Haskell was a tough ordeal.
I found C++ to much easier to understand when I actually started to understand what exactly the software does on the hardware.

What's this guys name lol

>"Design games with free browser based tools".
Higher education, they say.

koksal baba

>High school

This suddenly makes a lot more sense and provided a tons of context. Don't be afraid to admit you're in highschool (just never say you're under 18) and ignore the people who give you shit for it. I bet most of us were in high school when we started coming here. Hell I was in the 8th grade when I first started lurking.

So basically since it's in highschool and it's a CS class it'll probably be a waste of time. Which is fine because because wasting time in high school is nothing compared to wasting time and money in college. C++ probably looks better on a transcript if you care about that. If not just take the time you're forced to waste in highschool because you're about to not have that luxury anymore soon.

Just know the game design is going to be a for sure waste of time. C++ at least has the potential to teach you some skills you might be glad to have in college

>Learn the basics of C++ with Microsoft Visual Studio (R)
if you ever take those courses, go with your laptop, only use vim and g++, and tell them you don't want to use garbage software