What's the probability of me killing myself if I try to replace my power supply's fan?

What's the probability of me killing myself if I try to replace my power supply's fan?

It's kind of a catch 22, power supplies with decent fans are in the 100+ price range, whereas the cheaper ones work fine, but have terribly noisy fans. I'm willing to risk my life for 50 dollars.

As long as you unplug it it should be ok . As far as PS goes idk depends if you know what you're doing

Have you never heard of a capacitor?

unplug it and flick the switch off. maybe try and drain the capacitors by turning it on, but either way as long as you ground your screw driver, you should be fine

some fans just have a 2-pin connector, while others have to be soldered on, so be aware that it might not be that easy to replace the fan

>I'm willing to risk my life for 50 dollars

This.

Caps hold charge for a long time after all power is switched off. Do be careful, OP.

Fuck off, wagecuck.

A NEET learns the true value of a dollar because he has to maximize every paycheck.

If you spend shittons on a PSU, get a passive one.
the efficiency probably pays for itself in the very long run.

>NEET
>paycheck

That's a funny way to spell autismbux user

Pretty much this. Just make sure you get a fan rated for the same or better airflow.

>NEET
>paycheck

We're getting remuneration for our services. Specifically, existing and furthering the dual causes of science and philosophy.

Unless you buy the cheapest chink shit you can find, most high energy capacitors have discharge resistors in parallel.

If you're really paranoid: unplug it, short the plug, and switch it on.

The airflow issue concerns me, because the average 120mm fan is for the case, and rated at something like 50cfm. These loud as fuck cheap ass PSU fans can be pushing 100+. It's hard to find a replacement for such a monstrosity.

Maybe the answer is to either just fry the PSU with a slower fan or be a fucking ZOG shill and shell out ONE HUNDRED FUCKING DOLLARS for a slightly quieter PSU.

What contributions have you made personally to science and philosophy? Just curious.

I derived the philosophical constant for fucking you're mother.

So, none?

Not very high I would say, just don't touch anything in there, use some rubber gloves for extra safety.
I have opened mine some times to clean and to see if I could replace mine fan. I never changed it though since I was worrying about the airflow.
>why can't they just use quite fans...

I'm thinking the CFM is about 80 or so (the information is hard to find), so that's not too out of spec with some high end fans.

Also, discharge the large caps with pliers.

I have no idea about mine CFM though(EVGA SuperNOVA 750B1 750W) all I know is that it's loud. Not to mention that it's some retarded 135mm fan.

Read OP again. I got the strong impression he does indeed a have Saturday night Shenzhen special PSU, with all the joys of cardboard PCBs, bare fuse wire, one layer of tape between transformer coils and the worst/cheapest fans they can find that go along with it.

None
By the time that tiny amount of surface area from your stray finger accidentally touched the 2A input has delivered enough current to fuck your heartbeat, the prior 110V has automatically spasmed every muscle in your finger and arm jolting it backwards.

You wanna kill yourself? Run into a police station with a fake explosive vest on.

Close enough, I've got an EVGA PSU.

A 135mm slot should accomodate a 140mm fan.

i have stupidly done this before and i'm still alive. i was just really careful and used needle nose pliers to take off the fan pin connector

only reason i did it was because the fan was driving me out of my fucking mind, it was completely fucked and was making these really loud grinding+wheezy noises.

that's not a catch 22 at all

op you could always pay 50 cents for some earplugs

edgy. kill yourself ugly

You're right, it's a catch 6,000,000, because only a goy could be stupid enough to pay prices this ridiculous.

You can get bronze psus for $30 with good fans
Nearing the $100 mark you get into semi passive cooled, which pretty much never use the fan.

Nigga I have one of those and the fan is way too loud.

Discharge the caps by shorting them with a screwdriver. Wear a diaper in case u electrocute yourself. Good luck

I'm happy with my Seasonic S12II 520+ Bronze and I paid 55€ for it.

After you unplug the PSU from the wall outlet and flip the switch on the back of it off, hit the power button on the case a few times to drain the capacitors as much as possible

And then don't fucking touch them

Probably just got unlucky or something senpai

You'd think if licking a capacitor was a good way to kill yourself we'd be seeing suicides in droves.

I dunno, my life is worth more than 50 dollars. I'd rather pay 100 if it saved me from accidental death. Plus its easier.

Just discharge the large capacitors if you remove the entire board or just avoid touching them.

You probably won't need to unscrew the board to replace your fan, so there shouldn't be any danger.

Well two things can happen: you either kill yourself, or you don't. The probability is 50%.

Bullshit. The psu has huge capacitors in it, the negatives are tied to the psu's shell. The positives go to god knows where.
I know what Im doing and I still kept fucking up and shocking myself. Half the shit I touched just trying to navigate the board out of the shell caused me to get shocked.

Make sure its unpluged and then when you can get the board up, run a screwdriver across the solder points of all the big capacitors. Don't do it everywhere though, if you dump the voltage into one of the chips you will fry it.

What model of PSU shocked you?

It's pretty surprising that it wouldn't have bleeder resistors.

If you're really that spooked, maybe just buy some rubber gloves.

Wouldn't unplugging it from mains then holding down the power button on the case discharge it?

possibly, but its better to be safe.

300 something watt Lite-on from implyin everything in a psu isnt critical

>tfw I bought a corsair hx750i
It's pretty neet. Pricey, but their warranties are bulletproof

It's not worth it. Just get a new PSU.

How is a minor operation that will greatly improve the quality of the PSU 'not worth it'? Most 'silent' PSUs are 100+ dollars - that's true. If you can pick up one for half that price, it'll fit your needs and, if you slap a decent fan in there, you won't hear a thing.

If I want to overclock my i5 6600k and have a 1070. Will a Seasonic s12ii 620w 80+ Bronze psu be fine?

SPOILER: You cant! Just do what mentioned first and rip this bastard apart. Those small capacitors in you PSU cant do shit do you, probably not even if you had a heart condition

A PSU can have a 200+v capacitor.

very

And what? Not even 20KV will harm a healthy person. The voltage doesn't harm you, the current does. And since there is no real Container in a PSU which is supposed to save current, just to clear out the voltage for smoother results, it can't do shit to you

>Not even 20KV will harm a healthy person

With just one amp, that would instantly kill you.

The biggest danger in a PSU is undischarged capacitors.
Unplug it, wait a month, then replace the fan.
Once the caps are discharged from time, it's as safe and easy as anything else since it's just a fan.

>if it had a thing that it doesn't have it would do something that it doesn't do

RETARD
E
T
A
R
D

Get some education.
Volt shocks you, amps burn you.

>the thing you were talking about originally does exactly what you said it does, however the unrelated thing that I brought up does exactly the thing I said it does and it still isn't related to the thing you were originally talking about
>hahahaha this means I was right all along

RETARD
E
T
A
R
D

Waiting a month is excessive, a day is 100% safe.
Caps lose their stored energy after a hour.

>take psu out of computer
>let it sit for a few days.
>wear gloves while working on it.
>Careful not to finger the PCB
you should be fine

If you're fine with voiding your psu warranty, do it an alternate way: get a standard 120/140mm fan (like a noctua or something I dunno), and depending on how much free space is available in your psu, drill a hole in the case and just run the fan from your motherboard or a molex.

Jesus just buy a fucking half way decent PSU. I've had the same Cooler Master V1000 PSU since they launched with no issues at all since then. What you pay for is what you get.

>being this poor

rma your shit before you kill yourself

>work part-time doing the things you enjoy doing
>don't have to worry about every cent
I earn 400€ per month and it's more than enough to buy a non-shit PSU.

t. Seasonic X-650 owner

Thermaltake TR series
Get one
Shits quiet af

>It's kind of a catch 22
Thats not how catch 22 works

The fan could use a none standard connector that is connected to the PSU PCB.

Find out which wire is +12v and which one is ground and just strip the wires and use this.

Good enough I would say.

PSUs don't have discharge resistors because the capacitors are on the DC side. If you unplug it and touch the pins on the plug you won't get a shock, which is primarily what the discharge resistors are there to prevent.

No.

You'll probably discharge the standby 5v line first which will then prevent you from getting the power required to turn the board on which means you won't discharge the 5v and 12v lines.