Why can't Linux devs actually design anything user friendly?

Am I the only one who feels like the Linux is actively trying to fight me whenever I want something done? Oh sure, I can get things to work, but it takes a lot of effort and time. Using Linux feels a lot like sliding down a mountain of razorblades, straight into a pool of alcohol.
>b-but this just makes you more hardcore
But I don't want to be hardcore. I just want a functioning operating system that doesn't try to hinder my work

>no focus groups
>design is done by anti-social autismos with no formal design training
>zero artistic user base
>no budget for usability studies/psychologists on staff

The best hope for Linux creating a user friendly design is to keep trying to copy Apple and Microsoft.

>What is Ubuntu, Mint, Elementary, etc.

OP you baka ass mothefucker

I know that feeling, brother. But sometimes you just have to accept that life ain't always gonna be easy.

I would wish for a botnet free and user friendly linux distrubution, but alas, that will never happen.

But it also keeps the general majority away from using linux, so that's a good thing I guess.

The people who want a simple gui and a multi billion dollar company backing their OS are never going to want to install a third-party community-developed OS. Linux devs know this, so they focus on making powerful software for the powerusers.

GNU/Linux is far more user friendly when it comes to advanced tasks.

The OS is GNU
but yeah I agree, GNU needs to be more user friendly and I aim to launch a project full of free software tools to make using the GNU system easier for anyone including your own grandma to use

I can shitpost too

posting from gf's laptop. Just noticed she has windows 10 installed. there is no windows.old folder and no option to roll back to 8.1

she is telling me she did the upgrade install, so these options should be there but they arent. where do i go from here??

> gf's laptop
>implying you have one

>where do i go from here??
Install Gentoo

I use linux and i have to agree that they really need to work on getting more software working out of the box. While i agree that it is a "hardcore" OS and that you have to be dedicated to use it, i dont necessarily think that you *should* have to be dedicated (or at least SO dedicated).

See, this is the problem. A significant portion of the Linux user base wants it to be difficult for the average user so that they can feel better about themselves for being able to use it.

Windows will never be overcome with that attitude. Find something unimportant to make you feel special.

Maybe you're just retarded.

Honestly, having grown up using pre-PowerPC Macs and Linux, I don't think Windows is easy to use at all. In fact, all the mouse jiggling and clicking drives me insane. Which leads to me absolutely hating it's appearance too. And as a comment on the "hardcore" statement, I think you're letting your insecurities get the best of you. I've never seen anyone make this claim.

If you don't like it then don't use it, problem solved.

sage for shit thread

Paid MS troll thread. This is against Sup Forums rules and Microsoft knows it, but they continue to post this shit here because they know their Windows sinking ship can't be saved and they're just trying to distract people while it goes into the water.

Do not reply to paid MS shill threads.
Report paid MS shill threads.
Message Sup Forums admins and tell them Sup Forums is being CONSTANTLY BOMBARDED with paid MS shill threads and it should be treated like any other attack on their site.

Operating systems don't try to do anything.

They have nothing to do with your feels, bro.

ubuntu and mint are the Windows of linux

>Windows sinking ship can't be saved
It could be if they plugged the holes instead of adding bloat and making new ones for NSA.

>A significant portion of the Linux user base wants it to be difficult for the average user so that they can feel better about themselves for being able to use it.
That's not what any of that is about. The mentality is derived from the UNIX philosphy of not taking simple and practical ideas and software and turning them into a clusterfuck. What you perceive as making things hard, is someone elses idea of keeping things simple. Once you've been entrenched in Linux for awhile, you begin to pick up on these things. Some of it makes sense, some doesn't, but that what you get when projects are community driven.

Fedora hasn't fought me on anything so far.

Sometimes I have to google how to install something, but usually it's two copypasted lines of text and it's taken care of.

Well to be honest as a Linux user only sparingly it reminds me a lot of my childhood.

I had a 486 DX2 and later it was a Pentium MMX 233 Mhz.

First everything was done in DOS and Norton Commander. Drivers and shit where a pain in the ass to set up. Every game asked you about all the details. Whats your sound card, what bus, what frequency, what quality...

Then later Windows 95/98 came out yet still after you installed Windows you had to manually go select everything, every single driver need to be installed. Your sound card, you graphics card, your modem, your LAN, your motherboard chipset and then if you had say more hard drives you had to use jumpers, motherboards also had USB drivers and IDE drivers and RAID Drivers and on and on...

To makes matters worse it all came on one CD for like 50 motherboards.

So say you got a MSI motherboard. Theres no internet. You have to open the case to see the number of the motherboard and then HOPE the manual tells you what you actually have..

Do you have a nForce, VIA or Intel Chipset?
Are your LAN drivers from AcerLAN, Realtek, ADMtek, LanKom or Via?

After XP it simply became install XP and at most you'd be left with shit like Bluetooth drivers and SD card readers on your laptop that won't be automatically recognized.

Windows 7 and later it's basically just install your GPU drivers and thats it.

Linux feels A LOT like that today. And you even have the internet you still have to dig and dig to get something to work...

>A significant portion of the Linux user base wants it to be difficult for the average user so that they can feel better about themselves for being able to use it.

Except it's not, stop blaming people for your actual incompetence.

People who use UNIX want control over their operating systems and not everyone has deeper understanding of how systems work which is what most programs on nix based systems are made for. Nobody want's you to join our sekret club, if you're dissatisfied with Windows there's always OSX or a chromebook.

meanwhile

I hope Linux never becomes "user friendly". Just look at the internet for the biggest example of how "user friendly" means dumbing down and exploitation of dummies. Fuck user friendly. If you can't use it, use something else, or pay someone to do it for you.

>you do not have permission to do that
>when you're using the admin account

A lot of the development time is still spent on creating backends that work consistently across systems. Gnome looked to fix that in part, recently, and we'll find out if it works out.

The main problem is that UX is messy af to develop, and when the code is open source, code quality is paramount. That probably eats up a lot of dev time.

Do you have a logo?

>cant delete a file is in use
>thumbs.db

>whole post
kys

>relying on visual cues and mouse interaction
>not using a light window manager with keyboard commands

pig dog disgusting. I spit on your feet.

>The main problem is that UX is messy af to develop,
Open source coders hate UI. They all want to be considered CLI-cool. That's why they leave the UI until last. They just put a GUI over the CLI interface and ship it.
If you talk to guys who actually make commercial software they code the GUI first and then write code to support the UI functions.
If there is no monetary incentive there has to be something to replace it. Tech cred is it. And tech cred is CLI.

tab completion is UI

>he still uses manjaro
>he used majaro in the first place

>kys

Once you delve even a little bit deeper than the user-friendly sandpit the normies are supposed to play in, Windows is worse.

I think you're correct. You see the same behavior appear in reaction to every thread like this too, where the guys who consider themselves hackers because CLI immediately start harassing anyone who points out any flaw.

The problem I have with Linux is trying to learn how the contraption works. I'll give a current problem as an example:
>have ODROID C1+
>has ARM Ubuntu image
>want to underclock because overheats
>use installed cpufrequtils' cpufreq-set program
>change CPU governor
>change maximum clockspeed
>easypeasy, thanks Stallman
>reboot
>settings back at original

Why aren't these options saved? Isn't this what the registry does in Windows? Why have options in a program that don't persist on reboot? Is hacking in a script on boot the only way to "save" settings? Why and for what purpose?

It's this sort of thing that infuriates me with Linux. I can memorize how to work around these obstacles but whatever underlying logic prompts this antiuser behavior isn't clarified.

It's a symptom of autism. Linux devs see the world as a series of proper shapes

Like a Triangle next to a Square by a Circle , then used actual numbers like 123456 to fit them together.... when a non-autist would see a lake or a person.

That's why it's impossible for them to make things non-autist friendly. The best they can do is have one of there nurses describe what other computers look like to emulate those

Because Linux developers program the kernel, not the GUI. Linux is just a kernel after all.
As for most GNU/Linux programs, they are much more user friendly than anything on windows.

why can't Sup Forums actually normie-friendly

With the difference that you never have to install drivers manually.

>The best hope for Linux creating a user friendly design is to keep trying to copy Apple and Microsoft.
which is ironic, because both apple and microsoft have directly copied things from linux, and in particular, from KDE.

>so these options should be there but they arent.
The windows.old folder autodeletes after a certain period of time
Download a windows 7/8.1 iso and reinstall

Also, you have no gf and it's actually you who's running win10

>there is always OSX or a chromebook
I hate those for the same reason I hate Linux. So that limits my choice to Linux, BSD or Temple OS

Use both for fuck sakes and move on and get shit done. Don't expect one single operating system to be 'be all and end all'. It's like wanting there to be one type of car. Or one type of bulding.

Because good UI is hard. It takes time. Especially at the scale of an operating system, getting everything to be consistent, user friendly, and powerful at the same time is a tremendously difficult task.

I was a MS ux prototyper for about 5 years. I built UI components left and right, probably one a month. About 70% of those didn't see the light of day. The reason why MS / Apple have great consistent UIs is because they pay people like me to do that day in, day out. They paid me to take high risk bets and test them on users. Some of those risks paid off and resulted in cool UI interactions. Linux can trail behind these OSs by taking some of the user interaction patterns and replicating them, but true innovation with it on the UI side is really rare. There simply isn't enough talent working on it.

If you want to make it better, teach yourself UX and start contributing. Seriously - make linux better. Too many people just complain that MS/Apple are in bed with the NSA and don't do anything about it.

>dialog box hidden behind unmovable window