Appefags will defend this

Imagine if memory sticks the size of a sim card existed, to be placed inside the phone permanently.

Wouldn't that be convenient?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sfkbxzilVC4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it's called flash memory

Yeah, Google defends this too.
>Nexus phones don't accept SD cards

Good thing that nobody cares what Google does.

Thanks to that you can instantly plug and unplug your sd card + connect it to pc, no one will get to your private files since you can just put it in your pocket

Keep telling yourself that.

I currently have a S5 Neo and I'm fucking pissed how limited SD storage is nowadays on vanilla android.

>Tfw my ZTE let's you format as internal storage which only works with the phone it was formatted on, and to use it with any other device you have to reformat it. Secure and sweet.

>hes too poor to buy a phone with a decent amount of memory

caveat: I've never used iOS.

Can iPhones actually operate in USB host mode?

No, you need a third-party app. I know sandisk has one on the app store.

the fucking problem with microSD, are the fucking abysmally low IOPS

it's good to have 64 extra GB, but it's shit to have to wait 6 times as much for images to load on gallery, spend twice as much waiting for apps to open

that's the reason why newer android versions don't allow to install apps on SD, because 90% of complaints where basically "WTF my game I put on my $6 8GB chinese microsd from 2007 doesn't open as fast as the one run from the internal storage of an iPhone, android suckssw >:^("

and also enabling phone producers to get away with putting mere 16gb eMMC(fast) storage on $600 with the claim "you can add more through with an SD :^)"

Samsung did the right thing with the S6, no microSD and upping the base model storage to 32GB

the result: no complaints about slowdown, people praising the phone speed matching the iPhone, becoming the best selling android phone by a large margin

BUT GOOD THINGS (might) HAPPEN!

Samsung is bringing their UFS technology and making their own micro-sd

with speeds that are FASTER (both read/write and IOPS) than many current eMMC used on most android phones and iphones

the bad news is that it needs a new port,

the good news is that since Samsung have 65% of android marketshare, they can make their phones adapt the new standard and next year other brands will follow

and then just then we can have our apps/media on external memory without it being a fucking huge bottleneck to an already slowed operating system

Wow, does the device need to be "jailbroken"?

I find it a bit alarming that installing a userspace app can cause the device to operate in host mode.

Then again, I know nothing about iOS architecture.

>let's you format as internal storage which only works with the phone it was formatted on, and to use it with any other device you have to reformat it. Secure and sweet

I'm sure anyone with minor experience in forensics could retrieve the data - imo just extract raw data without accessing the file system. Also stop saving sea pea.

Fuck off Samshill. I rather just stick with my Xiaomi with microsd than use a samsung piece of shit.

The app can be downloaded on the app store on any iPhone. No jailbreak required, but it only works with specific flash drives. I doubt it's actually going into host mode, it's more likely sending special commands to the attached device.

I looked into this because I was curious. My speculation is that they must be part of the "Made for iPhone" (MFI) program. The MFI program/cert will allow them to have special APIs that they can use with their devices.

So I believe that it only works for specific flash drives. Those that passed the cert by the company and that they designed for.

>cheeze pizza is the only reason anyone would want to access a phone's contents without the authorization of the owner
git out

Using a proprietary formatting tool as a security measure is pretty dumb, that's true. Android supports FDE with AES-128. That's fairly secure. You can get better crypto if you know how to use the right tools.

>"Wow iPhones are shit, they don't even have SD card slots!"
>Samsung has shit software with super aggressive RAM management to the point that it's worse than an iPhone at keeping things in memory despite having at least twice as much
>HTC is overpriced as fuck for what you get and that's assuming you weren't retarded enough to buy disasters like the M8 and M9
>LG is overpriced and poorly built and the battery will be in shit shape after a year if the phone hasn't fallen apart by then
>Motorola is now seeing underpowered hardware at inflated prices
>Sony continues to overprice their hardware for what you get and now includes fucking Mediatek chips in something like half of their lineup
>have to install some shitty, jank-ass community ROM to make any of the above phones actually usable and remove the carrier bloatware
>even then SD card support is shit
>and if you want a Nexus so you have a usable phone out of the box, you don't get an SD card slot because of how poor Android's support for them is paired with Google wanting to sell you their cloud services

Meanwhile with Android you can plug in an SD card or a flash drive and it just works. You can even encrypt it the same way the internal /data partition is encrypted. You can even merge it with the onboard eMMC and use it like RAID.

Yet Google's own stock Android has the ability to merge internal memory and SD cards/USB devices into one large storage space.

this product is for rich hipsters to offload their 650 photos of them in different outfits not what you're thinking.

>A small (single digit) percentage of consumers are retarded and use slow SDHC / micro-SDHC cards and then complain about access being slow
>better lock all our customers into devices that don't have SDHC / micro-SDHC slots because FUCK YOU
>32gb device: $299.99, 64gb device: $399.99, pay up goy

>Yet Google's own stock Android has the ability to merge internal memory and SD cards/USB devices into one large storage space.

That's not necessarily a good thing. Mixing fast built in storage and slow external storage into a single partition can be a fucking terrible idea and ruin performance. Which is why more than a couple manufacturers (including Samsung, one of the only companies including the ports to begin with) have disabled that feature in Android 6 last I read.

>All custom ROMs are "janky," "Rajesh tier," or something along those lines
Stop posting and take bleach shots.

phones really do suck nowadays

hey, one percent of a lotta people buying an expensive phone is a good bit of money.

Yup. But honestly, I can see why Apple does that. They want to ensure a "great customer experience" by setting a bar and being very specific about what works with their products. Most manufacturers are happy, Apple is happy, and their customers are happy.

It hurts the ecosystem though when a hardware that just doesn't happen to have a cert, but is totally compliant doesn't work with their device because they're not on the whitelist.

Rajesh builds shit ROMs in general, Sanjiv at least tries to debloat and deodex properly. Patel doesn't even try anymore.

>get any phone that isn't a flagship/"flagship-killer"
>barely any dev support whatsoever outside of a couple of deodexed and/or pre-rooted ROMs

Oh boy, I sure do love how Android is "cheaper" when I need to spend $600 to get an experience comparable to a $300 iPhone SE.

I wouldn't be talking so much shit, but the new Nexus phones are still not out, and we've been dealing with roughly 2 years worth of shit quality Android phones with thermal throttling issues and poor battery life.

Almost all phones that aren't complete piles of shit get at least an official CM build. Back when I first started using smartphones on a fucking Motorola Atrix 2 there was enough of a community to have a decent ROM scene even before the device is was unlocked and rooted.

Now I'm on the LG G3 and there is still lots of support.

The thermal issues are very aggravating though.

At least you can actually open an app, do stuff with it and then go back to the previous one you were using without having everything reload on you on android phones unlike your premium $600 iphone.

When you've experienced being an Android phone owner on a carrier like Verizon, then you'll understand. Even barring those, if you don't thoroughly research the phone you're getting before you get it, you're likely to get fucked over. Like when I got a Moto G, but because it was carrier branded I got screwed out of both updates and custom ROMs because of a bootloader that couldn't be unlocked. Oh and the SD card slot would constantly stop working at random and require a restart. It was such a noted issue that the carrier claimed its presence was the reason it couldn't be updated. Then I had an unlocked Xperia M4 Aqua which had a smaller custom ROM community than the Toro Galaxy Nexus and an SD card slot that would cut out sometimes like the Moto G, but not nearly as often.

>have an Android phone with 1 GB of RAM
>literally closes apps that are open in the foreground because of overly aggressive memory management
>get a new Android phone with 2 GB of RAM
>can only keep the two or three most recent apps in memory
>sell that and get another phone with 1.5 GB of RAM because I wanted actual band 12 support
>same shit, only can keep 2 or 3 apps open in the background
>meanwhile every iPhone vs Android flagship real world speed test shows the iPhone keeping pace with, if not beating its competitor despite having "only" 2 GB of RAM

Not Android's fault that you get absolutely shitty devices. If you got something by OnePlus, you would've been fine.

>Android sucks because I bought a Verizon heavily locked phone
No one to blame but yourself.

Also it sounds like your SD is the problem if it has issues in 2 different devices.

>If you got something by OnePlus, you would've been fine.

But the OP2 was shit, if I were going to buy a used flagship I would at least get a Z3C for the waterproofing, and the OPX was a fucking JOKE in America. Real nice band support there you fucks, couldn't even manage to fully support a single carrier despite making a specially fucking designated device for the American market. And yes, I know the OP3 exists now, but it didn't fuckin' exist back then did it?

Fucking hell if you're going to recommend an alternative, how about you pick something that isn't garbage chinkshit. Fuck I'd at least rather have a Nexus and just deal without having microSD.

And I solved the Verizon problem by leaving them as my carrier, but not everybody gets the option to leave them like I did. Those people are straight fucked, stuck dealing with a range of Android phones all filled with more bloat than the last.

And on the SD card issue. It was with different SD cards my man. I tried multiple in both phones, and looking it up, it was a common issue for both phones. It's a surprisingly common issue for just about every Android phone that contains an SD card slot but isn't a flagship. They cheap out on the slot.

It's aes

that's literally the default behavior in android Marshmallow for handling SD cards.

They actually made a slot that reads both UFS and MicroSD

It gets encrypted.

Didn't do it on my old Samsung j7 that also had m

>sim card

Apple user here.
What's a SIM card user, is it an app?

>A small (single digit) percentage of consumers are retarded and use slow SDHC

Are you sure that's a single digit percentage? I'm under the impression the average Joe goes into a shop and buys the cheapest SD card they find.

>plug in flash storage in to iPhone
>have to plug out headphones
>can't charge the phone
lmao

Yes because microSD is more convenient than OTG when half the phones make you remove the back plate and the other half make you use a ejection pin? And not to mention almost every laptop and desktop has USB but most most don't even have an SD drive?

kys

Flash drives are for data transfer, not storage expansion you fucking idiot.

wait what, is this bait?
So you're saying that an OTG storage is better than a microSD because of your perceived difficulty of placing a microSD inside a phone? But a microSD is designed to reside semi-permanently inside the device, making that argument moot.
>And not to mention almost every laptop and desktop has USB but most most don't even have an SD drive?
But that is moot as well since, unlike iOS, you can just transfer files from an android phone to any computer via wifi/wifi direct/bluetooth/USB with the phone behaving like any external storage.

you kys

USB OTG is good if you have a flash drive with both regular usb and micro-usb, or an adaptor. That way you can access files on a flash drive from multiple devices.

Internal micro SDs are good for expanding the storage capabilities of your phone.

Different devices for different uses.

my friend has one of these. they don't even work as microsds. you have to manually move stuff to it and you can't run softwares through it.
not even your own media player apps. it's a fucking usb stick.

>he used cdma

>not even your own media player apps
Of course not. God forbid Apple let users put media on their iPhone without iTunes.

Well it's good for Apple. If that breaks in our pockets, it just means we have to buy more Apple products which means we just support Apple even more.

If it was inside the phone, it wouldn't be a butt sex analogy

>2014 buy OnePlus One 64GB eMMc $350 release mSD=no
>2014 buy Baytrail Tablet w/ Fullsize USB3 and Micro HDMI 32GB eMMc $80 mSD=yes
>2015 buy Asus Zenfone 2 ZE551ML 64GB eMMc $320 release mSD=yes
>2015 buy ZTE Zmax 2 z958 16GB eMMc $60 mSD=yes
>2015 Samsung/Motorola sell phones with 16GB eMMc $500-$800 mSD=no/yes

Seems like Apple/Samsung/Google and others should be do not buys.

>HTC is overpriced as fuck for what you get and that's assuming you weren't retarded enough to buy disasters like the M8 and M9
What do you mean, I love my M8

>tfw 64GB of internal UFS 2.0 storage
>fast as fuck
Stay slow SDlets

>He didn't buy a Huawei

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>He bought a Huawei

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

im glad SD in phones is kill. the first smartphone i had had expandable memory and i always had to rip the back of the case off and remount that nigger like on a daily basis because it would stop reading. microSD a SHIT

>2222
>2+2+2=6
>2x6=66
>add last 6

Thanks,satan!

thanks OP

>buys cheapest, shittiest Chinese card he could find
>complains that it's shit.

This is why Apple wins.

>>buys cheapest, shittiest Chinese card they could find
>>claim that it's not shit.

This is why Apple wins.

youtube.com/watch?v=sfkbxzilVC4

chose the most reputable brand i could find and even picked out the right class for what the phone was capable of doing. it was also on sale on newegg so yeah i got a great deal. the problem is the connections would contract or expand in climate changes, and they can get dirty. you're better off with flash memory soldered to the logic board.

>he thinks spending more money = more quality
applefags, everyone. fuck outta here.

Apple only wins not cause it has superior products.
But it could convince normies its products is a status symbol.

>foxconn chinkshit
>superior products

It convinces normies its products are a status symbol and also has best in class hardware, reliability, and usability. Only autistic computer janitors use android.

Don't forget
>Convinces normies they're "professional" products

>Appefags will defend this

I'm a turbo Applefag but I don't 'defend' anything which I think is dumb. Its not my company and nor is it a reflection on me in some way. Some 3rd party faggot startup made some Lightning adapted flash drive, what is there to defend?

I wish iPhones did have expandable storage.

People still think Apple is quality becasue they refuse to sell the absolute bottom of the barrel garbage that normies are used to.

basically:
- normie buys $350 laptop
- gets really disappointed with it
- hurr, must be that all PC's are shit.
- buys a $2000 mac instead

WEAK

I'm not defending chink shit.

Fact is Apple hardware quality doesn't add up its price.

Which i have to admit is kinda genius from a business perspective.
That they can sell such a bad product to such a high price.
And gullible mac idiots will just eat it uncontested in droves.

Is just masterful.

Samsung disables merged storage in their ROMs because they use proper high speed flash memory in their phones, rather than hyper cheap eMMC. If they left it on, it would cause their already bloated software to lag even more.

This. 90% of the time normies buy the cheapest best buy computer that they think fits their specs (which they don't even understand) and then complain about it. You can get a PC laptop similar to a mbp, or even better, but don't expect it to be cheap.

People spend 500 on something they should have spent 1500 on, and compare it to something that costs 2000 but should cost 1500.

You're only about half right.

Every company cuts corners when they make products. The difference is that Apple doesn't maintain some low end product line. Where the problem comes in is when Android phone OEMs, desperate to sell their shit, decide to try to outspec Apple but in the process give a decidedly worse product.

Examples of what I'm talking about: XPS 13 and the plethora of problems it had from launch, and the Galaxy Note 7 and its absolutely awful memory management compared to an iPhone despite having three times the memory.

Products like that are the real reason normies jump ship. Because first they get cheap shit and go "I'll never get cheap shit again." Then they buy whatever flagship the guy at their phone company's shop tries selling them, find out that it's also shit because the default software is garbage and the hardware is only good on paper, not in real life, and proceed to say "Well fuck this, I'm getting an iPhone/Macbook/iPad."

what are you talking about
I have a $200 Honor 5X with cm13 official and it runs like a dream

>You can get a good Android phone for $200!
>You just have to get it when it's on sale!
>And be lucky enough to get one with an unlockable bootloader and an active modding community!
>And then spend a few hours installing a custom ROM and tweaking it to make it "just right" even though it'll never ever be "just right"

Yeah, nah, I'm done with that shit. It's nothing but a goddamn timesink that you're forced to dive into because otherwise you get to experience all the consequences of using an OS that's written mostly in Java.

I bought a s7 edge to upgrade from my lg g3 and it's the best phone I've ever owned.

Macfags WILL defend this.

I have to use one of these becasue of reasons.

It's actually quite nice because when my cable snags it detaches rather than breaking.

Yea the M8 seemed fine for the most part just nothing spectacular. The M9 was a total shitfest but so was just about all devices based on 808/810. Entire cycle of smartphones utter shit.

>Imagine if memory sticks
Memory Sticks only work on Sony gear.

Merging them is a fucking awful idea. Keep the internal memory for apps and the sd card to store media.

this
unless you're using a class 10 speed SD card, the merge will end up working like fucking garbage

Still faster than any iShit pile of garbage.

honestly, i disagree
having more storage is the only benefit and you're better off just treating it as a standalone external sd anyway

>not falling for the chinkphone meme

Shit posters will defend this

>it's good to have 64 extra GB, but it's shit to have to wait 6 times as much for images to load on gallery, spend twice as much waiting for apps to open

If you are retarded enough to save photos and install apps on the sd you deserve an iphone and nothing more.
Microsds are useful only for big files and folders, and I don't really care if my 50GB music collection is 80ms slower to load in the music player.

in all fairness, the iPhone 7 is just rumored (although basically confirmed) to not have a headphone jack, the Moto Z is out now in 2016 and doesn't have a headphone jack.

They do not. They go in and often look for storage size first, otherwise everyone would have 4gb class 4 sd cards. Besides, in the civilized world at least, most cards are class 10 or U1-3 for prices reasonable enough that people don't care. "$20 for a 32GB? U1, you say? I don't know what that means but alright I'll take that one."