What was the best operating system and why is it Windows 2000?

What was the best operating system and why is it Windows 2000?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TpiC9PBVXQQ
gitlab.com/fermata/4chan95
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Define good.
XP or 7 for me.

but it's nextstep or beos

or mac os x 10.2 if we're talking about sorta mainstream OS

>this is what Linuxfags actually believe
>this is why are their """""distros""""" look like Windows 2000/XP

>le shiny spyware ridden windows 10 face

Amiga Workbench was the best until around 1995, even then it still held its own and did stuff faster/more efficiently than Windows.

So was the MacOS Finder and some *NIX environments, it took Windows years to catch up.

Windows 2000 on DEC Alpha
Best 32 bit server ever... I think.

>13-Mar-01
XP was long out since then and 100 times more useful

XP was out October 25, 2001

Probably the last Windows OS that had a consistent UI.

>Windows 2000

Please don't I still have flashbacks about the color green.

>You have to be at least 18+ to post here
Leaked copies of XP first started appearing in late 2000 already.
Even so the average normie was running Win2k, much more functional then what he posted.

How good was the game support? I believe early XP games should work.

Win2k was really meant for business only.

No drivers + Green everywhere.

There's no difference in the system on the low level, all XP shit works on 2000, including drivers.
Just a minor revision of the NT kernel with a pretty UI.

comfy

It'd only be green if you ran like 8-bit color, 95, 98, and NT 4 were actually green as fuck though.

Windows 2000 was the best operating system Microsoft ever released. XP had some useful additions though, but then again it had a shitty search and a fisher-price theme as default.

Windoze fag. The best OS is Gentoo! Personally I use Arch Linux but respect Gentoo the most.

There's no difference in the system on the low level, all XP shit works on 2000, including drivers.

While they are very similar I think you will run into software issues.

Net Framework and bloat required for the game to run properly may not install on Win2k but will on XP SP3.

There's service packs for Win2k too, mostly it's just a few .dll's that can be replaced to get anything running.

A hardcore few still use Amiga OS today, so 2001 wasn't anything unheard of, the Amiga had only been off-sale 4 years at that stage iirc.

Yeah I diden't have internet back then couldn't actually figure out what was going on, and literally all I saw was pure green fuckery.

>the average normie was running Win2k

No they weren't, 2000 wasn't really a consumer OS, most home PCs were shipping with Windows ME at this time. I'd rather have used an Amiga than ME for sure.

>Amiga had only been off-sale 4 years at that stage iirc
Yet there was no real software or official hardware support for the system since it went down with Commodore, just companies building the damn things for content creation people who relied on old software.

The OS in that picture dates from 1993, way before XP.

software is increasingly written to check for the OS version and to fail if it's not XP or newer

good luck installing anything on vanilla Win2K these days

Everybody who had even a slight idea of computers installed Win2k, ME died out so quickly back then, computers resellers even offered Win2k because of that.
You're telling me someone wanted to use a outdated clusterfuck but had no idea of installing Win2k on their ME PC? Haha, sure.

It still had a big scene in Europe and a big community until around 2000, but yeah Commodore going under really was the death of it. Shame it wasn't owned by a decent company as it was a great system.

Win2k is not mentioned anywhere while Windows ME is.

youtube.com/watch?v=TpiC9PBVXQQ

If you believe normies ran Win2k in the 2000s at home you are wrong.

Maybe people with an home office.

There's no real problem to make anything run on it.

No you said "normies used Win2k" which is total shit and you're obviously underage. Seeing Win 2000 on a home PC or one in PC World wasn't common. Most normies were using 98 (majority) or ME if they had bought a PC in 2000/early 2001.

Win2k came out in Dec '99, of course most of 2000 was still dominated by ME, but that changed real quick, darn, don't you remember anything from that time?

What if I were to run windows 98 in 2016.

My nostalgia is killing me this morning. About to dig out my Dell Inspiron from 1999.

I worked as a apprentice in a computer shop in late 2000, we offered 2000 with a cheap deal to every 98 or ME PC.
Yes, most used 98, you're right, but ME died out so quick it was forgotten within months after 2000.

Home users went from Windows ME or Windows 98 to XP.

Home users never really used Win2k.

Yes I remember lots from that time, I was alive then.

Win 2000 was used in enterprise/corporate mainly as replacement for NT 4.

The consumer edition of Windows was 98SE then ME. 2000 was not generally offered/used by home consumers. It wasn't until XP that the "NT range" came to the consumer market.

Still have a shitbox running 98

I did live in Yurop back then, maybe it was a more popular office only OS in the US.

I live in Europe too, nobody used 2000 at home.

I really want a verbatim copy of this as a DE.
And by verbatim copy I mean every single tiny detail that's not tied directly to windows.

>There's no difference in the system on the low level
You can't use programs that use Structured Exception Handling on 2000. Or maybe there's some unofficial patch where you can, idk.

Pretty much any PC at a company or a school ran it.

The consistency is what makes it so comfy.

Partly because 2000 had a reputation of having "poor drivers". Really it was just because consumer electronics and components manufacturers hadn't switched over to the newer Windows Driver Model. 98 and ME could still use the old VxD drivers with no issues, but 2000 was strictly WDM. When my parents bought a Gateway desktop years and years ago, the salesman cautioned against getting it with Win2k because it "wasn't good for gaming".

Fuck PC salesmen when I was young and dumb they jewed me into buying a Pentium 4.

>2000 had a reputation of having "poor drivers".
And, according to your next two sentences, it did.

You could also argue that the 9x series had poor drivers, since a malfunctioning or improperly removed device would bring the entire system to a screeching halt. 9x was garbage.

What do you use it for?

9x had no memory protection, so anything could bring the entire system down.

Yeah, but consumers didn't care about the technical details. All that mattered was that it seemed to crash every half hour. Buggy drivers and devices played a large role in that. It eventually turned into a form of Stockholm Syndrome, as if this was the way it was always going to be and would never get better.

(Mac OS wasn't much better in this regard, there are lots of jokes about how hard those systems crashed too)

would you mind sharing the css?

google and Sup Forums archive only give me dead links

Nobody used Amiga in the late 90's anymore, only delusional fanboys, it was nowhere usable OS at that time.

gitlab.com/fermata/4chan95

Gaymes

It's marketing, purely marketing. Microsoft is know jewing and bullying others, that's how they became the dominant platform, any other company could have done that, just happened to be Microsoft.

It's not even a form of Stockholm Syndrome, normies don't just know better if the whole computer retail is full of Windows, that's what you buy.

Windows 2000 was the last Microsoft OS that was truly designed by professional for professional use. The UI is not obtrusive and doesn't flash useless eye-candy at the user. Icons, menus, and fonts are consistent throughout the OS, making it look like thought was put into them. Nowadays modern software can't run on it anymore, but back in the day it was rock solid and worked flawlessly. All you had to do was replace IE with Firefox.

That was Windows 95, not 2000

GNOME button icons ruin all

You have to be 18+ to post here. No one was using the fucking Whistler beta shit, unless they were NEETs. You were using 98 or Me. Maybe even 95.

This. All later versions were abortions of Frankenstein's monster.

What is that shell?

Most people did not have a system powerful enough to run 2000 without crashing or slowing down to a crawl. Which is why 98SE prevailed for so long until XP became mainstream.

What are you using for an OS? Please share

You need to remove the show desktop button in the lower right. Consistency is killer.

Incorrect, it is loonix + windowmaker + gworkspace, if only making app wrappers werent a pain in the ass, that would make it the perfect OS.

>Even so the average normie was running Win2k
no they weren't, the average normie was running whatever the fuck was bundled with their cheapie consumer system, which was typically Win98 or ME, 2k was rarely offered on consumer hardware

2k had fine driver support, the fuck are you on about?

NT4 was the one with shit compatibility

>a beta operating system squandering the fastest architecture on earth emulating 386 code 90% of the time
>best

Mac OS X 10.4

>>You have to be at least 18+ to post here
People who were 2 years old when those leaked copies of XP surfaced can post here without breaking the rules.

>Windows 2000
Vaporwave kids get out

Exactly my point, so you think normies where using Amiga OS in 2001? Ridiculous.

>postulating an initial open ended question then changing the question to one that seeks validation for your own opinionated answer to the initial question disregarding that the initial question is open ended and has no definitive correct answer

I like the icons, but there really hasn't been a reason to prefer Windows 2000 to XP with the classic theme since SP1 or so.

I don't get why these 9x ricers always recreate the useless desktop icons too, anyone who knew what the delete button was sent them straight to the recycle bin.

At least use an old Mozilla icon for Firefox, for fuck sake.

I don't see anyone claiming they were.

Remember using win2k because XP was the same but more bloated.
Win2k after sp2 was just as functional as xp and used half resources. It wasnt until xp sp1 or sp2 I made the switch, cant remember

I really, really want to use 98SE, 2000, or even fucking ME but none of them have drivers. XP is okay but it's not exactly what I want if I'm going far back anyway.

>all XP shit works on 2000, including drivers
How much can I trust this

UI design peaked with Windows 98, and that's an objective fact

use 7+ taskbar tweaker and remove that shitty show desktop button

2k improved the icon set even further