High pitched noise

Sup Forumsoonies, anybody else here ever heard a whine/high pitched noise coming from you laptops when on battery? is this bad?

it is not an hdd, nor is it the fans, i am at a loss

yes, ive googled, but all ive come up with is stupid idiotic suggestions

Likely inverter whine. Google it.

Intel's speedstep varying the CPU's frequency and power requirements causing the whine. It's a 'design feature', get used to it. Those who have an Intel CPU and can't hear it - congrats, your fucked up hearing is a blessing.

so it's (hopefully) not a capacitor dying? or a fucked up battery?

I do have quite good hearing, damn it

Dump that shit baby gurl

>tfw I have great hearing, and tinnitus, so I can hear the never ending screechy whine in my ears, along with the high pitch noises electronics make.

Same here, you get used to the constant ring tho. Bothered me more when I was younger. Just keep your mind occupied and you won't notice.

That's just your semen screaming while dieing a horrible death, nothing to worry about

Not all computers with Intel CPUs have coil whine. I have good hearing and can easily hear coil whine and have heard it in many computers and all kinds of other electronics, power supplies, etc. but my MacBook Air is dead silent.

Really depends on the day, and my mood, I can go all day without paying attention to it, but if I just wanna sit and chill, it sometimes drives me straight to depression.

Tinnitus

I only started hearing it after I replaced the hdd for an ssd, so in all the silence, there is the whine

It's most likely coil whine. It shouldn't be an issue in terms of shit breaking, just annoying.

Yeah I had a similar experience when I replaced loud fans with quiet ones in my old desktop. Suddenly I could hear a shrill whine which was coming from the motherboard coils.

My MBA really is virtually silent though. There's simply no other noise to cover up any whines.

If Intel CPU poke around with speedstep/power saving options, test by pulling power adaptor from laptop.

I have it set to balanced, when I remove the adaptor, the whine sets in, when I plug it back, the whine disappears, the fans are clean, there is no HDD

now that you mention it, I used to run it when plugged, on high performance, and when on battery on energy saving mode+battery saving mode

Try having a monitor that whines every other second when its obnoxious blue LED blinks in standby mode, and then when you turn it off to stop the whining it just whines constantly.

Shit's common.

>tfw always buy any electronic shit from stores I know I can send back with no hassle in case it has some kind of whine

Literally can't handle it. Last laptop I bought squealed like a bitch constantly under any load. Sent it back.

>tfw when my gpu is under maximum load i hear squealing through my headphones

kill me

This. I have returned or thrown out so many electronic products for making high-pitched whines. I am so glad the age of CRT is over. High pitched noises seem to interact with the tinnitus. Just the wrong pitch is kinda painful.

CRT wasn't so bad though. I found CRTs to just be a mild annoyance at best and could block them out.

The problem is a lot of monitors and TVs these days have a high pitch squeal from them that's annoying as shit. The worst is when it changes pitch with what's displayed on screen. Sometimes it's a known issue across ALL of a single line and a lot of people don't care I don't understand.

Man, TVs with speakers that constantly give off a loud HISS piss me off too.

A lot of mice give off a high frequency noise.

>tfw this isn't something any company gives a fuck about so there's no company that aims to sell you products that don't have issues like this so I have to look like a jerk taking 50 things back to the store or sending them back etc.

Battery is fucked, I used to have battery drill batteries that did exactly the same when charging.

even though it lasts almost as long as it did on day 1?

It fucking sucks, most people are deaf to these noises, my studio monitors hiss, so I have to turn them off if I'm not playing audio, I can hear my screen whine at times, the ticking of case fans, the whine from electrical socket inputs, ect... Fuck tinnitus, fuck shitty electronic components.

Whats your laptop?

My audio amp has a bit of a background hiss but that kind of thing doesn't bother me nearly as much as high frequency whines. Coil whine drives me insane.

acer V5-573G-54208G1.02Taii

I am painfully aware of acer's reputation

>acer V5-573G-54208G1.02Taii

I worked with the windows version of these puppies it's always the CPU that's under load and doesn't get enough juice from the batteries or the bloody speakers that literally drop their magnets from the cup and get poor contact( they magnets aren't even glued lol).

You should get a new laptop.
There's no fixing up those fuckers.
One week I was replacing the hinges next week I was replacing the bloody Power plug.

I know the quality is somewhat shady, even if the specs are rather decent. After fighting with it for so long, I kinda took to it, even replaced the hdd like mentioned and changed the network adapter for an intel one. Now I noticed the whine.

Rather disheartening.

You replaced the hard drive with an SSD?
Samsung 840 Evo series are known for coil whine just in case.
Try removing both the new hard drive and or SSD and the Intel Network card to see if it goes away.

My bet is that you aren't getting enough juice to the laptop.

its a kingston ssd, the whine was there before the network card, that much I know
>My bet is that you aren't getting enough juice to the laptop.
would this be an only-battery problem? I realise it's hard to diagnose without having the fucking thing in front of you

Yeah pretty much, as I said try removing either the network card or the SSD to check.
Some SSD's actually produce alot of coil whine especially under Read and Write scenarios.

As for the power Unless you have a second battery or it doesn't show up when you plug i it in well you should be fine.

I'll remove the ssd, and check if there's whine

now that you mention it, that might be why I could not hear whine with the old hdd

Coil whine?
Do you have an AMD/ATI gpu?

google coil whine