Video surveillance general

Thought I'd try starting one.

Post your home setups, discuss cameras, what you are monitoring, etc.

Currently in my home I have a DVR handling 8 wired cameras and another DVR with 4 more but they are crappy chinese machines probably full of security holes, the second one requires activex to work on a browser or a proprietary smartphone app.

Not to mention that hard drives constantly break, but maybe it's because I'm using old discarded ones.

Does a cheap decent 16 channels DVR exist free of chinese software?

Other urls found in this thread:

fit-pc.com/web/solutions/surveillance/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

My setup

Why not have less but HD cameras instead of more SD ones?

They cost way more

I'm pretty valuables must cost more than an array of cameras even if HD. Higher video quality provides better identification of number plates and faces.

I need to be able to manage those cameras though, the current DVRs are horrible security holes

Isn't security footage scary though? Like what if one night and you're viewing the feeds, and you lose one camera and at first you think, oh maybe it's just getting some interference, I'll check it later, but then the camera next to it goes out, then you're like...huh?...and then the next one goes out faster and faster and you're like wtf is going on, until it's the last camera in front of your front door. But nothing happens, and you're just sitting there sweating wondering when that one is going to fail.

And that's when you feel the cold, bony fingers wrap around your neck, and before you even get a chance to scream...

...it's over.

That was pretty funny, good read

it would be unlikely that I'd catch that as I'm not always watching the cameras

Current setup
2x Hikvision 3MP turrets
Blue iris running as the DVR server along with the phone apps over VPN.

somewhat related, but do any of you guys record your road commutes?

I have never been in an accident or anything, but I'm considering dropping the couple hundred to get a dashcam. Nearly every time I get on the road I either encounter assholes or have multiple instances where people pull out in front of me. Also, a few weeks ago a drunk man who was jaywalking walked in front of my car and it was just by sheer luck that I was able to slam the brakes in enough time for me to not hit him (missed by what seemed a few inches)

Swann box any good?

I'm right there with you. Problem is I'm too lazy to tear apart my dash or interior to hide the wires.

I've heard its best to turn off the speedometer on the camera as a defending lawyer can have a field day with that info.

is it illegal or something to do this, why would you need to hide the wires? aesthetics?

do you already record your commutes?

For me it would just be peace of mind not having wires fling around while driving. I do not currently record anything in the car.

Thought about building a custom setup with zoneminder. Any one have experience with it?

I got a really cheap cam but it was too much trouble plugging it in every time, also the software was chinese cheap shit.

I'll probably get a proper one eventually, expensive though.

never heard of it until now, sounds cool but how would I get my analog cameras to it?

>fit-pc.com/web/solutions/surveillance/
Ever checked out this Israeli manufacturer? They make the mintbox series pc. Grabbed a Mintbox 2 and is very happy with it. Been considering getting one of their DVR fit-pcs.

doesn't look like these would work for my, I got to fit in 16 analog cameras and I cant find any solution for that other than the crappy chinese boxes

Are they IP connected? Ever looked at a PC with blue iris installed?

they are all analog, just got a video cable for each, no IP

I work in Microsoft. I can basically see everything you guys install, download and type.

Considering getting a fly6 and fly12 for my bicycle. If some tard decides to murder me at least there will be footage of the car. Kind of expensive though.

>16 PAL/NTSC camera inputs (8 streams)
I assume the 8 thing means it can only stream/record 8 streams at the same time. That's a bummer then.

Maybe buy a 16 Channel PCI-E DVR Video Capture Card and make your own DVR? A few cards on ebay for $80.