ITT: Underrated Distros

Starting with LMDE here. Linux Mint Debian Edition uses Jessie's repos along with keeping all of mint's visual tools. It's a neat distro. It's got a live installer that lets you use the live version while the installation is going on in a tab, too, which is nice.

What Distro does Sup Forums think deserves more love? Why?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:OpenSUSE_and_other_distributions
en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Why_openSUSE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

O P E N S U S E
P
E
N
S
U
S
E

>mint ANYTHING
>neat
no

it's really just debian with the mint aesthetic.

this.

Mint Cinnamon was good, but it's getting shittier with every update. Have to switch to Arch/Gentoo.

Bedrock

Slackware

Why should I use openSUSE? Ive been using Fedora for a while and it's okay but I want to switch to something else. Right now Debian testing seems really appealing because Debian respects my freedom and has a huge repository.

i used to like slackware, but it's been sorta slipping lately. I think the devs are getting lazy.

Agreed. It is no longer as stable as it used to be. Adding pulseaudio was also a stupid decision. Pat knows he fucked up but he won't admit it.

To answer OP's topic: Bedrock is underrated, nearly unknown.

en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:OpenSUSE_and_other_distributions

en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Why_openSUSE

you are welcome

Y a S T
a
S
T

Mint is shit under the hood. Run while you still can.

It's a comfortable middle-ground philosophically between Corporate Fedora and Bureaucracy of the Proletariat Devs Debian.

Debian
Ubuntu

those are mature everyday distros that aren't github distros and two weeks old, it's used in professional businesses and in software development, Google uses a themed Ubuntu LTS for a lot of their software development and many other companies use Debian, those two are the only distros worth your time, as well as Fedora, RHEL and OpenSuse
all else like Arch, Void and all that other shit is maintained by teenagers and is never ever used in real work environments ever. Mint is so popular because it's Ubuntu mimicking Windows, Ubuntu is much better than Mint, for example Arch is a binary distro but WE CANT MAKE AN INSTALLER! Because that's how fucking 1337 we are

#!++/BunsenLabs

aka pre-riced Debian with Open box

I've tweaked it quite a bit but it's a good jumping off point if you don't want to DIY everything.

this is all true, but i have to say that lmde to debian isn't mint to ubuntu. LMDE sort of bridges the gap for users who want to go just a little bit further than something like ubuntu/mint but don't want to deal with some of the hassles of setting up debian.

Does anyone here use Qubes? I've been using it as my main for about a year now and I don't have any complaints.

My friend uses bunsenlabs, it's really great. Very unknown, sadly.

Gentoo is widely considered a meme here, and too time consuming for average users, but I am a writer and I won't use anything else. I strongly prefer my system setup bare-bones just for what I need and nothing more or less.

if you really know what you're doing and don't mind a little less in the repos, it's actually ideal. The actual philosophy of total personalisation has some merit, memes aside.

> Arch shit maintained by teenager
Arch predates Ubuntu, Fedora (okay, maybe not if you consider Red Hat) and SUSE kid. Void is also near a decade old.

Debian ( Bunsens and C#!++ or w/e it's called,I miss the old Crunchbang though)
Fedora (I'm biased as I work on them)
Manjaro as it's fucking great for newbies and so fucking nice in general compared to Ubuntu/Mint.

and PeppermintOS, I like the devs and it's simple and runs without issues.

Why not Sabayon? It is Gentoo with an installer and a binary package manager to complement emerge.

This. Mint is literally bad-Ubuntu-Mate with worse security practices. It's utterly shameful that people in the Linux community still recommend it to newbies. Arch is similarly meme-tier, but at least novel in it's approach to being stupid about security and practicality.

Suse, Red Hat, Debian, and Canonical are the teams worth playing for. Everyone else is midget league. Doesn't mean you can't have fun with them. Far from it. But if you want to make a career using Linux or working on Linux systems you have to stick to the big four and build some comfort/familiarity with them.

Is Arch meme like Gentoo?

Arch is the worst meme.

GuixSD. As you cannot escape GNU, the best approach is joining them.

Whats with all this hate towards arch recently on Sup Forums? I understand the fanbase can consist heavily of angsty teenagers, however the distro itself is actually quite decent. It has a massive repo, and is fast and bleeding edge. Can someone please explain this to me?

Unpopular opinion: I'm a 20 year Linux User, sysadmin, and I like Ubuntu. We use RHEL at work and I've lobbied for years now to switch over to Ubuntu. We're finally making the switch this November and I am literally giddy just thinking about it.

>this

>We use RHEL at work and I've lobbied for years now to switch over to Ubuntu.
You fucking monster.

>Whats with all this hate towards arch recently on Sup Forums?
Can you keep a secret? We're trying to scare people away from Arch so our secret club doesn't become overrun with normans. Arch is great but we pretend to use Debian. Debian of all things! Hahahaha! Apt will surely leave the normals with a bad taste of Linux! Year of the Linux desktop? NEVER for you filthy Chads!

I'd like to try LMDE, but Debian Testing is too comfy to bother switching.

>I understand the fanbase can consist heavily of angsty teenagers
You just answered your question. Arch is a great distro though, you can really cut the bullshit on it but you can do that on most distros with net-install image.

I see that, I guess a few bad apples ruin the bunch. I've always seen this mentality on /gee/, however it just seems more prevalent now than ever.

>recently

Oops, didnt mean that; more prevalent I guess. Its always been around.

Anyone have an underrated distro that isn't explicitly supporting social justice warriors?

I have been a Debian user/contributor for years, but I think they're really going off the rails with all the cringe privilege politics stuff.

Deuvian is the dissident Debian and I believe it spun off because dislike of systemD was being equated with sexism, racism, etc.

Debian dev here. We have very outspoken, but still few in number, people and resources devoted to that sort of thing. It gets a lot of press because that is what is in the news, but don't think we are wasting all of our time checking privilege or something.

I'm center-right on the political spectrum and I have managed to get along with most everyone I have direct involvement with. IMHO the Debian project is something that will transcend politics just as soon as the lefty poison is confronted in the open air. Most of these young people pushing social justice into tech are just opportunists who will go away as soon as the money and fame stop coming in for it.

How does one become a sysadmin?

By not being an insect.

my friend uses sentry on his private server

Lmde is still systemd-free?

Pic related, is fun. Is like a debloated Gentoo (if that is even possible) with a magical theme for the package manager. Also you can port packages like Arch's AUR, or even easier.

jessie's repos

dropped.

This guy gets it

Void, it's like arch with no systemd bullshit

and no software.

Gentoo.
yes, it's underrated. people on Sup Forums hate it for no apparent reason because
>it's a meme
even though portage is nice af

Sabayon is literal chinkware, trust me I've tried it. If anything Calculate does it better. Uses the Gentoo repos and has a its own preinstalled Gentoo binhost

>not forking the repo and compiling your own packages
might as well use winblows fucking babby

This, it's actually quite good after you figure out the codec jungle

>not using the sole feature of linux that actually means anything
might as well use windows if you enjoy compiling your own shit so much

I like Void, although I only used it on the surface since I don't have any purposes on it.

>chinkware
You got the wrong third world country. It is Italyware