Best Windows version

I'm going to need to go back to Windows soon for college. Too much proprietary programs that I'll have to use Windows for.
I don't know shit about Windows really. Which one should I get? 7 or 8.1? And should I get home, pro or Enterprise?

Other urls found in this thread:

mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/58464-Windows-Loader-Download
www81.zippyshare.com/v/kHbhIrV4/file.html
forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/28669-Microsoft-Toolkit-Official-KMS-Solution-for-Microsoft-Products
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Windows 10 is better than both.

Yup. Win10 with Classic Shell

7 pro is pretty much standard without all the bullshit. Everything is plain and simple, none of that minimalist ui trash either.

Yup! You can't go wrong with Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Windows 10(TM)! Use the best and only greatest operating system out in the market! Don't settle for eye candy OS X or the less-than-perfect Linux! Get Windows 10(TM) today!

I don't want to, but there's too many proprietary programs that I simply won't be able to use with Linux. Wine won't cut it.

I don't want to buy a new laptop, so I'll just get whichever the best version of Windows is and install it.

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB is adequate. Any other version of 10 is complete trash.

7 is good, but you have to really police your updates or you'll get telemetry trash. 8.1 with classic shell is the same.

>Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB
the 2016 one is trash and for 2015 NVIDIA doe not create drivers anymore. 7 is the only answer.

you should get 10 because any windows will spy on you so there is no need to use outdated versions of the spyware.

win7 wont even update anymore.

>you should get 10 because any windows will spy on you
Telemetry-update to 7 and 8 aren't enabled by default after installing. They don't send anything.

>win7 wont even update anymore.
Security updates are until 2020. 3 years. Also there are plenty of places with fixes to the longass update checking issue.

if you have an older laptop with bios instead of uefi, install windows 7 and turn of windows update.

if your laptop is newer and has uefi, the easiest thing to do is biting the bullet and install windows 10

Windows 7 is just as easy to install with UEFI

windows 7 support of newer hardware drivers is not too good, especially usb3. or so i've heard

>usb3

you just need to use manufacturer's drivers for it, no big deal.

Server 2003/Xp amd64.
Served 2008 somewhat usable.

Can confirm that 10 LTSB is good, using it currently
What? Didn't know about the Nvidia thing, that doesn't make any sense

Doesn't the issue with Nvidia only affect newer cards?
I have a laptop with a GTX 950m and Windows 10 2015 LTSB, I've had no issues so far. Am I missing something?

>What? Didn't know about the Nvidia thing, that doesn't make any sense
Stupid decision. they only release them for that november update and up (1511), 7 and 8.1

Yes, only Pascal afaik. I don't know if it works or doesn't with older cards. But if it does, good to hear. STill, stupid decision on Nvidia..

My Windows 7 doesn't download any updates anymore. Just stuck at checking. Is this what you mean? How to fix.

You've been very helpful, thank you user
Sup Forums can still be a good place some days

OP, based on the findings from this thread, just get a nice clean version of Windows 10 LTSB 2015 and activate it with a simple kms activator. Godspeed

7 if you like a regular minimalistic desktop OS.
8.1 if you don't mind removing all the bloat.
Either will work, 7 requires less resources but 8.1 might be supported longer.
Offline update installer (wsus, I think it's called)

Windows 8

Trolling's not allowed outside of Sup Forums

Get Win10, turn cortana off.

>trolling is not allowed outside of Sup Forums
ok mr anal on the internet.
>my-my community and discussion
kys

Get w10, 8.1 runs fine but is a really fucking mess with that mobile implementation, Seven is slow as the shit and driver support sucks
W10 is faster and has more features, but please.
PLEASE. I'll you as someone who used all Windows since w98, and ONLY Windows:
Personalize the installation and disable everything
Then when installed open settings (which is different from control panel), e disable everything in privacy, mostly that piece of shit of Cortana.
Install Windows ultimate tweaker and adjust thumbanil sizes, disable telemtry, tweak it. install startisback for a real menu start e set big icon for taskbar, i don't get why they use those fucking horrible small icon. Hide the search bar in the taskbar.
If you do everything i told you, you'll have a decent version of w10

>implying you can turn off Cortana
>implying she's not listening to you right now
>implying you aren't being recorded at this very moment
>implying disabling it isn't just a placebo and it's not still on
Why are WIndowfaggots so delusional?

Your legitimate choices are either Windows 10 or Windows 7. Using 8.1 is for fucking retards. It's nothing but the bastardized version that exists as a transition from 7 to 10.

You want to stick with 7, fine. But anyone who picks 8.1 over 10 has a mental illness. Like the people who still use Vista over 7.

So, how would one go about getting WIndows 10 or 7 and getting the product code or activation or whatever it's called? Can they be torrented? I don't want to pay out the ass for it

Is there a preferred version of W10 to get? The pro version or the home version or what?

windows 10 because gaming

you want Pro because that's the version you can get $20 keys for on ebay

First Post Shill Post

I slapped a USB3 card into the back of my old W7 machine and it worked just fine. The card wasn't even meant for Windows.

There's a particular update you have to install manually to make update work again. That's the only way trust me.
They broke update on purpose to try and trick people to """"""""""""""""upgrade"""""""""""""""

I recently bought 8.1 and it feels like 7 but with more features. I dislike the tiles but I still find myself using them more than anything else for starting programs.

7 on a VM with PCI passthrough for your gpu.
Can't go wrong with it.

What driver support does 7 not have?
Go ahead I'll wait.

does anyone have that one forum with the win 7 ISOs?

Reminder that Windows 7,8, and 10 are really Windows 6. You're paying for a new coat of paint.

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1 (2nd rollout)
File name: X17-59465.iso
Size: 3,09 GB (3 320 903 680 bytes)
MD5: c9f7ecb768acb82daacf5030e14b271e

mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/

forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/58464-Windows-Loader-Download
or
www81.zippyshare.com/v/kHbhIrV4/file.html

forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/28669-Microsoft-Toolkit-Official-KMS-Solution-for-Microsoft-Products

(daz loader for ult/pro/home; toolkit for enterprise (need redone each 180 days))

to solve win update:
> [1] Installing and searching for updates is slow and high CPU usage occurs in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810

> [2] How to update the Windows Update Agent to the latest version
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104

> [3] April 2015 servicing stack update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369

> [4] July 2016 update rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605

Thank god I still have that thread with this post pinned.

>I dislike the tiles but I still find myself using them
You mean like icons on a desktop?

KYS

win7 + all updates will do.

Until it uninstalls it at every forced update.

If you're using windows you probably have money. If you have money build/get a decent machine and run it virtually and be happy with being able to keep it from updating and fucking with you.

>run it virtually

I am so noob I literally don't know what he meant by this

Well, still only 1 month left for both 7 and 8.1 to get updates fucked as they're changing it to a bulk system shit same as with 10, meaning you won't be able to pick what kb to install or not like now and god know what other changes like limiting group policies like in 10, forced telemetry, forced updates, inserting cortana as some sort of malware that redirect your regular windows search engine, installed bloat like xbox/skype/get office, etc...

>you probably have money
>people still don't get that the majority of Windows users have pirated the OS

see webm

where the fuck are these newfags coming from that they think windows isn't one of the most pirated softwares worldwide

>using any other os than windows 3.11

My pasta (: I really need to make it better though, right now it's scattered in like 4 txt files on different folders on my PC.

Windows 7 SP1, disable all updates and update checking before connecting to the internet.

WIN 7 WIN 7 WIN 7

buy it while you still can!

>buy it
what?

W10 education version doesn't have cortana.

>especially usb3

agreed

fuck cortana. automatic updates is the problem

i couldn't ever sit there and get wine to run that good desu

You can disable that. My main issue is the fact that win10 is unfinished. Fuck two control panels, different huge context menus and all other crap which makes it look like a mixture of at least three different operating systems..

Oops, forgot the how-to

that's not wine, that's a gpu passthrough

>usb3
which is why you install drivers provided by your motherboard manufacturer
I have functional usb 3.1 ports and I'm on 7

You mean it worked fine after installing the drivers for it.

Windows 7 doesn't come with kernel drivers built in for USB3.0.

>group policy

>the thing Microsoft keeps disabling shit in to keep you under their control

>relying on the enemy to protect you from themselves

The main problem I have with Windows 10 is that it's unfinished, buggy and MS keeps changing stuff with every major update (see how they removed the GP settings).

So currently Enterprise and Education are the only two decent version of 10. And even then it's only after you spend an hour disabling stuff in various places.

Windows 8 and 10 are Windows ME tier. They transcend Vista tier. That's how bad it is. Can't even slightly unfuck the OS because that's undone after each update provided it still works. If you think lan only it still updates like malware because any machine near your network will send the updates. UI is of course a total joke. Children who haven't known anything besides maybe Win7 or Win8 might mistake it for progress but those opinions matter little as anything new>old regardless of merit.

Prove that it is still on when you disable it
Oh wait
You are just memeing hard

Just use kmspico

Post it please

Skylake has limited support, and the new Intel generation will work only on w10

Now it's kb3172605

False. And you said driver support sucks not future cup support WILL suck. Frankly anyone buying that Intel shit that's 3% faster than the last generation is a fucking tard

Can you disable all the spying shit in W10?

No

For the time being that's as good as it gets. Here's the updates that you need to block (there were more but ms stopped sending them).

And the isos that you may want to get from digitalriver

tl;dr Ultimate if you plan to use DAZ Loader, Enterprise if you plan to use Microsoft Toolkit (KMS activation)