Firefox confirmed for FLAC

Mozilla Firefox 51 will launch with support for the Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC) built-in to the web browser.

If you check browser support for various audio and video codecs, you will soon realize that support is a mess.

Not only is it different depending on the web browser that you are using, but it may also be different depending on the operating system.

Some formats, like mp3 or H.264, are supported by the majority of browsers while others, like FLAC or Ogg are not necessarily.

While you may not come across a single service or site that supports FLAC or OGG depending on what you do on the Internet, you will benefit from native integration if you do.

FLAC is for instance used by several high quality audio streaming services that offer lossless audio streams.

ghacks.net/2016/08/30/firefox-51-flac-audio-codec-support/

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1039639
github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium
chiru.no:8081/stream.flac
a.uguu.se/CoU6sx5qRh1U_nocompression.png
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fuck that. We already have MP3. There is no need for that placebo shit.

>inb4 audiophiles claiming they can tell a difference

But will it stop being so SHITTY?
I really don't want to switch to chrome but I'm on a clean windows install and with not even 30 tabs it's hell on earth.

People complain about systemd taking over their computer like a disease but nobody seems to care that web browsers are doing the same thing but worse.

FLAC directly in your browser without javascript

Removing compression from the Internet is a step in the right direction

They should work on fixing their shitty browser that's stuck in 2006 and worry about FLAC later

This. FLAC is for editing, not for listening

>compressing your flac before you listen to it

Truly plebian.

source on that qt?

Minamoto Chizuru

is it a hentai or an anime i cant tell

Ogg is a container, not a codec.

I can literally tell the difference between. Wav and 320 mp3 though.

your mom's a container for semen but we decide to be more polite

What headphones?

wtf i hate flac now

The greatest website on the internet, chiru.no, will benefit from this.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg

i would sniff their buttholes t b h

Are you deaf or something ?

literally mom tier

>FLAC

I LOVE THIS COMPANY!!

>Removing compression from the Internet is a step in the right direction
I honestly don't see the point. I have the bandwidth to spare on my end to stream lossless audio but what is the benefit here? It's not audibly different from a proper lossy encode and it takes a lot more space. It's inefficient to use as a format for web because of the higher bandwidth requirements it imposes and which everyone doesn't have.

If you are listening something through your browser, chances are you are streaming it for a while until you move on to somewhere else. The benefit of a lossless format exist in archival purposes, having a master format from which you can encode/edit whatever you wish without any extra generational loss.

I'm all for a browser supporting the format but I seriously do not see any point in using it in web/streaming purposes.

Lossy on the Internet is a slippery slope. Once you fuck it up once, it's going to be fucked up again. From mp3 to youtube to twitter to facebook to Sup Forums in the form of webm.

It's like VHS tapes all over again.

>If you are listening something through your browser, chances are you are streaming it for a while until you move on to somewhere else.

If you like it, you ctrl+S instead of wasting bandwidth downloading a non-preview as with the case of mp3.

why the fuck is this only coming now?

Because Firefox bugs generally take 2-5 years to fix, remember the image resizing bug?

bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1039639

So with lossless you ease that first step of generational loss. What now? Heck who knows what encoders people use in each of those steps and they could be much more harmful than a mere lossy to lossy transcode. The fact that there was a lossless file in the beginning really doesn't weigh much if at all anymore.

Are you dumb or something?

If you only download FLAC, it's easy to determine whether it's original or not.

When you download mp3, there's no way to detect how many passes it went through other than listening.

It's a good thing that Firefox will get FLAC support, because we can finally put inferior lossy codecs to rest.

>it's easy to determine whether it's original or not.
Not always.

You will hear difference if you have the proper equipment. Today i was listening Shine on you crazy diamond part 2, and in the end my high end speakers (m3-8) crackled. Obviously you won't hear a difference if you listen music through Apple earphones

that's the last thing Firefox has to fucking worry about is multimedia support, they need to remove the proprietary blobs, remove DRM and make it actually maybe give a small damn about your privacy, i mean shit go in about:config and I spent a good 20 minutes unticking shit, use ungoogled-chromium
github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium

>You will hear difference if you have the proper equipment.
I'll bite.

Would an ODAC + O2 + HD 650 suffice? Because I wouldn't want to risk having my opinion invalidated by my use of lowly reference equipment.

ABX'ing properly encoded MP3s (ie encoded by modern LAME releases leveraging their by this point extremely fine-tuned psychoacoustic model) starts getting really difficult already at 128 kbps CBR. Good luck ABX'ing VBR MP3 at V2, let alone V0 where no lowpass is employed at all (so even the most golden of ears couldn't conceivably "cheat" by listening for the absence of supersonic frequencies, produced by a sane cutoff, regular EQ'ing during the mixing and mastering stage typically try to get rid of anyway).

>You will hear difference if you have the proper equipment.
That's more of an audio myth more than anything. Literally crap equipment with limited bandwidth could make it easier to spot compression artifacts.

>Quints

Fukkken checked bruv.

I...is that a penis?

Quints of truth. Pic related is the original lossless file of this song. Used Spek since many codec autists who vouch for lossless in everything seem to use spectrograms like crystal balls.

Puffy vulva

moot point, people who would listen to that pleb shit are fine with listening to it on youtube

That's no excuse to damage it even further. FLAC put an end to that and websites will be fine with serving it now that Firefox has support for it.

Taste in music has no relevance here.

YOOOOO WHAT THE FUCK

soon you'll be able to play flac streams like chiru.no:8081/stream.flac in your browser

Thank fuck I moved to Chromium.

Firefox devs have lost their damn minds.

>1.19MB
How did you get that image so large?

png compression 0

But it looks compressed to shit.

jpg to png is larger than just png

>That's no excuse to damage it even further.
That wasn't my point. My point was about finding out if the FLAC is an original file or some transcode. It isn't easy and multiple masters do exist making it even harder.
>FLAC put an end to that and websites will be fine with serving it now that Firefox has support for it.
You can't possibly believe that. Caring about generational transcoding loss or encoders is niche as fuck. Most users don't know about the format, encoding, lossy/lossless and even less care.

Why should a website care for some user tiny userbase who downloads media content and are anal about the quality? Sounds like more problems to artists and content creators when it comes to copying and redistribution of that content actually.

While I'd be fine with websites offering lossless audio, the bandwidth it requires is multiple times as high compared to the most efficient lossy codecs. With no audible benefit, what is the point? Lossless formats aren't a valid option for web based distribution in large scale.

Also, FF is one browser and its popularity is declining.

Without compression that would be over 7 MB.

a.uguu.se/CoU6sx5qRh1U_nocompression.png

It's a lossless capture of a video frame. The original content is compressed.

Sniffing mom's butthole!

I feel bad for people who actually use Chrome

>can't open more than 10 tabs
>lack of smooth scrolling
>ugly page loading
>less standard compliant rendering
>botnet

Browsers got too bloated when they started building PDF readers in

>tfw I use Firefox as my pdf reader because I don't know of anything that isn't botnet

jesus?

>Not being able to tell the difference between FLAC and MP3? Are you literally deaf? I can tell the difference between flac and uncompressed on fucking laptop speakers, step up man.

Who are you quoting?

Kanokon

I can't believe I liked that shit back then.
Oh wait I didn't, only used that for fapping

>he can't figuratively tell the difference

Chizuru is mai waifu