Backlight bleed?

Can you guys help me with this? I don't know what to do. So, I bought Dell U2417H and, even though the monitor itself is beautiful and pretty great, I can see some backlight bleed / IPS glow. I never had experience with this so I can't tell if it is passable or not. I will post some pictures.

Also, I have one pixel that I'm not sure if it is "dead" or "bright". Ultrasharps have a policy of "0 bright pixels" so maybe this should not be happening. The pixel is darker on a white background, but light on a black background. To be more precise, it looks to me like it is always gray / lightgray. Would that be considered a bright pixel?

I kinda really don't want to change it since I don't know what I'll get and it'll take who knows how long, but this is bothering me a little bit.

>backlight bleed / IPS glow
IPS glow and blacklight bleed are two separate things.

I know, but I'm not sure what I'm seeing.

I especially notice it in the upper toolbar of FL Studio for some reason.

>cares about backlight bleed and IPS glow
>didn't buy PVA or OLED

You fell for the IPS meme.
>but muh colors

That is definitely some backlight bleed. Note how it's much brighter near the edges where the screen is lit from. Not much you can do about it other than use light themes on your programs.
Honestly that's about average for IPS displays in that price range. I prefer VA panels for this reason.

Monitors aren't supposed to be used in complete darkness

And here's that pixel - dead/dark/bright or however it is supposed to be called.

I never had experience with this, so I don't know. I probably wouldn't even notice it that much if I didn't read that it is a thing with IPS monitors.

Well, that is a big reason why I want IPS - I need good colors

Anyway, those are the pictures. I'm in a quite a dillema what to do now. I don't think it's that bad honestly, but still. Considering Ultrasharps have a full support I don't know if it is worth changing it or not. If this is normal, I'm fine with this, I just don't want to have a gimped version if I can get a good one.

Yep, the picture is exaggerating it too, I'm just not sure if this is supposed to be the acceptable amount of it.

Sure, to be honest, everything seems to be great when it is used normally.

What you're seeing is mostly IPS glow which is further exaggerated by your camera. It's completely normal for consumer IPS displays.

Thank you and the others for some help. I guess I won't go through the RMA then. I only have that one fucked up pixel, but even that I can barely see without focusing on it. And since I'm somewhat shortsighted, I don't see it at all in a normal usage anyway. I'll need to get used to some glow, I was using a Sony Bravia which didn't have those problems, but it was a really old monitor.

But all in all, this monitor seems pretty great. It's absolutely beautiful.

Keep your curtains open and stop living in complete darkness.

That pixel is covered so get it replaced

Haha, sure, but the backlight is usually tested in a completely dark room. But yeah, it will never be that noticeable in a normal setting.

Hmm, yeah, I just don't know if it's worth the trouble, since, as I've said, I don't really notice it that much anyway. It is located in the bottom right corner. Dunno..

This. Get a desk lamp and put it ~2ft away from your monitor. You don't even have to point it towards the display, you just need some ambient lighting to make the display imperfections less noticeable.

I personally have a regular desk lamp pointed at the wall next to my desk. It creates enough light to almost completely hide backlight bleeding and IPS glow.

Also, you can easily check whether it's IPS glow or backlight bleeding by moving your head left and right. If the affected areas of the display change (expand or get smaller) or imperfections go away at certain angles, it's IPS glow. It it's always visible and doesn't change at all depending on the angle and if the lighter corners are visible when displaying non-black colors, it's backlight bleeding.

Get it replaced. I'm pretty sure Dell has a no dead pixel warranty.

Just do it, unless you're losing money by not having it. But you can probably get Dell to cross ship in that case.

I have a desk lamp, didn't use it much today but i'll experiment. Was only using this monitor for a few hours.

Actually, the glow does change when I move my head. If I move right in front of it, I can see it less, but I think it's still there a tiny bit. I've also read that it is supposed to be a backlight bleed if it is still present when you move 10 feet from the monitor and stay right in the middle of it - which it is. So I don't know. Seems like both.

I probably will then, the only risk would be getting even the worse case of backlight bleed. Although I'm not sure what is the process since I didn't buy it directly from Dell but from another store.

If it's new you still have warranty through Dell. Though the retailer may just exchange a new unit for you.

The diffuser layer in the glass sandwich isn't perfectly uniform, and the layers themselves aren't entirely flat so small variations in the distance between layers exaggerates the problem.
Its damn near impossible to find any consumer grade panel with a totally uniform backlight.

that looks like IPS glow, OP.

If in a dark room, as you move progressively off-center, the screen turns grey, and as you face it directly and move backwards, the corners get darker, that's what it is.

Every LCD cell type has to make design tradeoff regarding how to handle off-angle light transmission, and IPS lets a small amount of light through all the sub-pixels uniformly, which is where the grey glow comes from. The benefit is that unlike TN and to a lesser extent VA, the hue of colors don't change with your position.

I'll probably do it then. Just hoping it doesn't get fucked again. But it's pretty shitty there are so many issues with this, for that amount of money I should be able to get a function piece of hardware ffs.

It's basically like I explained it here:
Btw, is it possible to get a different model when I return it? Well actually, I probably wouldn't want to do it, but today I've noticed that U2414H is supposed to have somewhat less glow.

The thing is that this model is newer and had some better specs so I went for it. And considering the U2414H is quite popular and tested, going for it's successor seemed like s safe choice. They have a different tiny problems, really. Btw, this model actually doesn't have IPS but LPS panel from Samsung, which is supposed to be somewhat better, but a little cheaper to produce. The difference in a price here is like, $20.

I know your frustration. You might have better luck with used high end monitors. I just bought an HP Dreamcolor display for a couple hundred bucks. Sure it's not your latest 4k meme display, but I can't afford the graphics to drive that anyway.

PLS* panel

I feel you, OP. I bought and returned several IPShit monitors over the past couple of months. Watching videos is impossible with those super-duper bright blacks and IPS glow in the corners. I am going to be sticking to my XGA shadow mask (I hate horizontal wires) CRTs until they make 120Hz 24" QHD OLEDs and all the problems with lifespan and burn in are fixed. (Or I might have to wait for QDs.)

How shit is my monitor if I can't see 1-4 even on max brightness?

Your monitor probably isn't shit, it just isn't calibrated.
Also, view it in an image viewer and not your browser. Browsers are shit at color management (especially on Linux.)

holy shit thank you for posting that.

> display was misconfigured so badly even 15 wasn't visible.
> had double checked that my GPU wasn't using compressed HDMI (15-240?) brightness range
> fucking display had "low blackness" instead of "high blackness", fucked things anyway...
> can now see down to 3, which is good enough for me I guess