What's a good way to get into Linux?

What's a good way to get into Linux?

What are some essential programs?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software.
youtube.com/watch?v=6TBRTLsCNXs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

wine

Instil gahnoo

install xubuntu

>What's a good way to get into Linux?
You download and install a distro of Linux.

By actually trying to use it

The only "essential" programs are those you need to be productive, depending on what you want to do, so that question can't really be answered but check out wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software.

First, you go into

By forcing yourself to use it and figuring out how to solve problems

You can search [type of program here] linux and find lists of the programs available on various sites, if you dont know what programs to use.
S'what I did and it seems theres alot of helpful results.
So, just install a distro and look on the internet if you dont know what programs are available, or maybe browse the package manager if you use a gui frontend to it, and try things out. Or see what people generally seem to say is best, whatever.

gentoo

I like how this site didn't censor this particular search result.

You can use this to search for alternatives to Windows programs you are familiar with and filter by OS (licence).

The first non-autistic post I've seen on Sup Forums today.

But programs that I think most everyone values are LibreOffice, VLC (prepare for the hate comments), and a solid terminal emulator. Unless you __need__software specific to Windows, there isn't really a point to using it.

fedora comes with everything a normie would ever need, past that you can just use your distros package manager to find and download anything you need.

Linux can effectively do everything windows/mac can except video editing and music production. It can do these too, but not as high as quality as the two big boys.

Windows.

Wendell will explain
youtube.com/watch?v=6TBRTLsCNXs

Try it in a VM for a day or two and then if you like it, install it.

>What are some essential programs?
bash, vim, xterm, sudo, cat, ls, grep, find.

lol, you forgot sed :>)

Learn Unix, then Linux.
There are many good Unix OSes in the world, like OpenBSD.

>good
>Unix OS

Cmus

>OpenBSD
>Unix
>Good OS
hahahaha

HP UX and MacOS are both Unix.