/hpg/ - headphone general

/hpg/ - HeadPhone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Noise isolation ≠ Noise cancellation

If you dislike a suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-II-Precision-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B001EZYMF4/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1472639922&sr=1-5&keywords=earphones
amazon.co.uk/Betron-Earphones-Headphones-Definition-BlackBerry/dp/B00S2P0M1C/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1472639922&sr=1-6&keywords=earphones
amazon.co.uk/JVC-HAFX1X-Xtreme-Xplosives-Headphones/dp/B004S7Q8CA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1472641922&sr=1-1&keywords=jvc earphones
amazon.co.uk/Creative-EP-630-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B009WQV15G/ref=sr_1_15?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1472641721&sr=1-15
amazon.it/gp/aw/d/B001RCD2DW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?__mk_it_IT=ÅMÅZÕÑ&qid=1472659838&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=akg k702&dpPl=1&dpID=51suSStG05L&ref=plSrch
rinchoi.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/stax-sr-207-back-to-basic.html
rinchoi.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/stax-sr-lambda-professional-history.html
head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What are some good over-ear headphones under $100? My hearing isn't fantastic, so I'm more for noise reduction than audio range.

Fill out the form, fag.

What form?

Click on the pastebin you newshit. I swear kids these days don't even read the op.

It doesn't say there's a form, that's good to know.

Op here, if that anti wireless fag doesn't take over the next thread I'll change the op do mention it's a form. I just copied and pasted for this thread.

I thought the point of generals was you didn't have to read the OP

Add a few lines to the OP that a select group of people don't like and the whole thread turns to shit.

Anyone know an upgrade from Q701's for around $500? Would prefer something similar except with more bass, I found the Q701 is shit in that regard. I was thinking HD6x0, X2, 400i

>Budget
$200
>Location
USA
>Source
FiiO K1
>Preferred type of headphone
Over ear
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Doesn't matter
>Preferred tonal balance
V/U-Shaped or Bassy
>Past headphones
In order:
SkullCandy Ink IEM
SkullCandy Hesh 2
Superlux HD 681
JVC HAFX40
Samson SR950 (Current)

I'm basically looking for Open Samson SR950 with more soundstage. Closest I've seen are Fidelio X1/X2's and Fostex T20RP MK3's with Shure 1840 pads. Any reply would be great, thanks.

I want good running headphones, but earbuds are current trend and that's all you can find in a store nowadays. I fucking hate earbuds. They make my ears hurt, and sound varies with each movement you make.
Anyone uses something similar to the right picture? I had 2 pairs of those, served me for 12 years, finally died. No wonder they discontinued those, because they are too durable. Fucking sony.

TLDR: i need good running headphones, that's not an earbuds.

One idiot believes he knows better than everyone else and made it his personal mission to make everyone believe there isn't anything wrong with wireless and headsets.

HD558/598

>one idiot
I forgot you have the ability to monitor IP addresses!

What does IP addresses have to do with anything? We had one idiot who claimed his experience was better than everyone else's in /hpg/ because it was "true" experience.

Link?

Are you the same jackass or just new?

Stop derailing this thread.

>It's not shitposting when *I* do it

>budget
70 aud

>location
Australia

>source
Nexus 5

>preferred type
On/over ear

>open or closed
Doesn't really matter

>comfort level
As long as it doesn't crush my ear and make it ache, I'm happy.

>preferred tonal balance
Strong bass and treble.

>past headphones
Sony mdrzx310
Beats studio(they were a gift)

Looking for something wireless, since it was the wire in my Sony headphones that failed and I'd like to be able to use it with some range occasionally.
Plugging headphones into the phone while it's charging makes me paranoid.

Which ones /hpg/ ?
Sennheiser CX 300 II or
Betron YSM1000
I am a bit concerned that both are marketed as having 'deep bass'. Does this mean nigger bass?
Both as on sale $30-35.
Any other brands to look for?

amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-II-Precision-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B001EZYMF4/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1472639922&sr=1-5&keywords=earphones

amazon.co.uk/Betron-Earphones-Headphones-Definition-BlackBerry/dp/B00S2P0M1C/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1472639922&sr=1-6&keywords=earphones

These are also an option although they do look like gamuhhr obnoxious gear.

amazon.co.uk/JVC-HAFX1X-Xtreme-Xplosives-Headphones/dp/B004S7Q8CA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1472641922&sr=1-1&keywords=jvc earphones

Also these. They don't have a discount and are not flashy at all but they get great reviews.

amazon.co.uk/Creative-EP-630-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B009WQV15G/ref=sr_1_15?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1472641721&sr=1-15

>Budget
$150 AUD
>Location
Australia
>Source
PC
full sized
>Open or closed
Prefer Open, but does not mater
>Comfort level
4 hours without me ears hurting
>Preferred tonal balance
dont care
>Past headphones
Sennheiser HD 201 - they are alright. They feel way to cheap though

>Budget
£70

>Location
UK

>Source
iPhone SE

Over ear

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort level
Not an issue

>Preferred tonal balance
Bass

>Past headphones
Sony MDR-V6
Sennheiser HD558

Hello Sup Forumsuys,
I currently own a pair of DT770's for my daily music use, using mainly my phone.
Should i sell them, and get me a pair of AKG's K7xx from Massdrop?
I think the DT's lacks deeper and bassier lows.
Should i go for the other ones?
Was also thinking about getting the FiiO e11k.

The K7XX has less bass than the DT770, it's only bassy by AKG standards.

I will continue my search, thanks

>I think the DT's lacks deeper and bassier lows
I'm pretty sure the 770 has great sub bass for a headphone

How's the Xiaomi Headphones compared to other headphones in the same price range in terms of audio quality?

I prefer headphones with a slightly V-shaped frequency response.

>Budget
160€ tops
>Location
Portugal
>Source
1100€ gaming laptop I will buy very soon
Open with good soundstage
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Don't matter much
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Past headphones
Shitty gamecom 388
Meelectronics m6 pro

I'm currently using the m6 pros for my general audio and I really like their audio signature. From the frequency response graphs they seem neutral with slight bass and I love their sound. I am crossed between the hd598 and the dt990 pro. The lack of bass on the 598 trouble me but I don't really have a reference for neutral sound so idk if the bass on them is enough. The hd598 go for 150 and so do the dt990.

The DT990 will require an amplifier, the HD598 do not. Something to consider if your budget really is firm.

>1100€ gaming laptop
Why would anyone do this?

>DT990 vs HD598
DT990 do not necessarily require an amp, but its recommended. My chinkpad has no problems with the 990, could be a little loude sometimes, but in general its ok. If you want HD598, have you considered the HD558 instead?

Bumping this because it's the same as my request

I don't recommend anyone buy a beyerdynamic headphones. I bought DT 880 PRO 10 months ago and now the right driver not working. I send them for warranty repair and they say that this vulnerability is not covered by warranty due to excessive current flow (they were connected directly to my laptop without amp). This is the worst purchase I ever made!

It's just a shitposter, he doesn't even talks about wireless when they aren't mentioned in the op, he Just complains for shitposting pleasure.

new sony crap

>Why would anyone do this?
Because I'm going to college now and a friend has a similar one and I liked it. Can't really order on online cuz school's starting soon so I have to buy locally. What would you recommend?

cups look a bit like the old R10. will probably be shit expensive.
MDR-Z1R, NW-WM1Z, TA-ZH1ES

That's funny, i have my DT880 for at least 3 years and it's working perfectly, a friend of mine has one for at least five years and há smp problems either.
Are you sure you didn't dropped them or something?

I'm interested in the HD600, but none of the stores here have them in stock so I can't physically try them on.

Would I be fine ordering them online and sending them back if they don't fit? Or does the comfort/fit change considerably with time?

And here's a pic of the cup. Semi open design? That mesh looks like a dust/dirt magnet though.

>há smp
>didn't dropped
dumb fucking phoneposter

last one. real weird mesh stuff. it's using a dynamic driver so it'll probably be shit.

Indeed, i hate posting from my phone.

What are some good IEMs for musicians, specifically drumming and backing vocals?

I've heard I should be looking for ones with a flat frequency sound dampening instead of just muting highs from say, cymbals.

I don't want the sound dampening to be too insane because you can't sing in tune when you can't hear yourself. Helps me with feel in playing too

>Budget
£200
>Location
UK
>Source
Generic PC motherboard. Advice on a DAC or sound card would be very much appreciated.
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Will be using these 4-6 hours a day.
>Past headphones
Siberia V2

What's Sup Forums's opinion on the AKG K553'S?

I just ordered a pair through the massdrop sale and want to know if I fucked up.

I never drop them or anything like that! One day right channel stopped working without reason.

Open

>dynamic driver so it'll probably be shit.
No.

Old news, when do we get more info?

Damping, not dampening. Damping refers to reducing sound and vibration. You want a general broadband reduction of level, it seems. A little hard to do, it's difficult not to reduce high frequencies disproportionately to the bass.
I remember seeing some active IEMs with microphones built in to improve intelligibility. Not sure the sound quality holds up.
>you can't sing in tune
Kinda hard to do, the occlusion effect makes a mess of vocals and speaking. Start talking with your fingers in your ears to demonstrate.
Deep fit (pushing in until touching bone) can help reduce that, these tend to have more sound damping though.

>get a real pair of headphones they said
>those on-ear cheap headphones are shit they said
Ugh, they hurt my ears from pressing against them, I can't turn anything up without THA BASS (and they're not stupid bass-oriented headphones either) destroying my ears, and they keep picking up interference that makes an annoying low buzz when nothing is playing through them. My $10 "piece of shit" headphones didn't do any of this shit. Fuck your "good" headphones.

Redpill me on the STAX SRS-2050A

So pretty much I'm looking for expensive IEMs then?

That sounds awful. Im happy with my 8323s and velour pads though.

Work just moved us from offices to an open floor plan (sucks). However, they gave us an allowance to buy some "noise canceling headphones"

>Budget
$300 of their money + around $100 of my own
>Location
Washington, usa
>Source
Desktop computer, usb or 3.5mm
circumaural
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
More important than sound
>Preferred tonal balance
No preference, so probably neutral
>Past headphones
In ear buds
Logitech 430

Now that I'm in a noisy work environment, the most important features is isolation and comfort. I'd like to wear them and hear nearly nothing outside, even without music playing, and wear them for 4 hours at a time, with an hour break in between.

What phone? Maybe its a memephone that needs a DMC or Memeplifier

havn't been measured and are not worth consideration until they have been

Just got my Lyr 2 last night, been enjoying it thoroughly since. Really opens up the 702's in a way that just wasn't happening with on-board sound card. The bass is 100% better now.

Unfortunately, I definitely need a DAC. It also makes low quality source material really obvious. I can hear a ton of interference coming from the onboard output on my Y510P. I tested it with my roommates Modi and it not only eliminated the interference noise but also improved sound quality (when fed good quality .flac files).

The 702's are pretty good, but definitely not my endgame. I'll listen to these for 6-months or a year then decide if I want to get into Grado, Sennheiser, or Audez'e higher end phones. I think the LCD-2/3's are supposed to pair great with this amp.

Should've just saved money, bought yourself an ODAC and used EQ

back to head-fi, faggot

Any decent closed bluetooth headphones under $200? Tired of wires guys

Nothing at all wrong with using EQ to shape the sound to your liking a little.

I did seriously consider just getting an O2+ODAC. The only thing that stopped me was the O2 isn't quite up to the task of driving some of the more power hungry orthos on the market and I wanted versatility. I may still go ODAC for my DAC.

What is it, exactly, that you're upset about? My middle of the road headphones? My mid tier headphone amp? Or maybe it's the Baofeng that really rustled you.

Discontinued for long enough that the successor 2170 is discontinued. If you know one Lambda, you won't be too far off in guessing the other sound signatures.
A little tricky to fit like most Lambdas, DC powered amplifier can be used portable if you purchase the correct battery and are that kind of crazy person.

inexxon.com/stax-modelle/stax-kopfhörer/sr-lambda-202-basic/

I don't necessarily believe so, I don't know how well some of those active solutions bear out. Not really my interest as a consumer.
I've also heard about some of the Westone Ambient series or whatever. The tips they bundle don't help with the occlusion part, although a lot of brands use compatible eartips.

Unfortunately, that's all I got.

Q701 should have good bass. If you need more, go for X2, which sounds like shit on all the rest though.

You might want to try the Fostex TH-X00 headphones from Massdrop. I think they just ended one drop, but another is probably going to happen soon enough.

Unless you're set on an open backed can, in which case I'm not sure.

A used portable notebook, netbook or chromebook for college and a dekstop PC for gaming, you can build good 800$ PCs. Can you link your laptop, just for comparison?
If you are on a really tight budget, consider cheaper options than DT990 oder HD598. What about the HyperX Cloud? You should be able to get it for 40-50 bucks, it has a detachable mic and is solid for music and gaming, it's basically a Pro80 with a mic attached.

>inexxon.com/stax-modelle/stax-kopfhörer/sr-lambda-202-basic/
>compensated without mentioning the compensation curve
>improper seal
>channel averaged
>1/12 octave smoothing
>measured by a dealer

I am looking for good STURDY headphones for gaming and listening to music. Preferably closed back (lan setting). I have a headphone amp.

Budget is 250 USD.

DT 770

I got a pair of ATH-M40x's for about 95 dollars.

Did I fuck up, /hpg/?

No, you did good. M40x are better than M50x.

Bunch of audio myths lad.
>opens up the 702s
Sounds dreadful. Fucking Schiit gear at it again.
>100% better
That's a lot right?
>fed with flac
Maybe the interference masks something but this is completely irrelevant.
>amplifier pairing
Simply not a thing.
>listing random brands
You could generalize a thing or two about Grado and Audeze but Sennheiser is all over the place. They are very different from one another.

And unless you are considering HE-6 or HE-4, O2 would be more than enough.

X2 is bassy but it has weak treble. For your taste I'd recommend a Beyerdynamic DT880. Pick the cheapest model, it's always fine.

DT770 and K7XX are completely different headphones: DT770 is closed and V-shaped, K7XX is open and somehow neutral. If you want to taste an open AKG, I would recommend either a Q701 or a K702 (if you're european). They're both cheaper and better than K7XX. However the DT770 will have surely more powerful bass than any AKG open model. Are you sure of what kind of sound signature you're looking for?

DT990 is everything but neutral. HD598 is neutral but it has a warm sound. HD558 is cheaper and can be easily modded into a HD598, then I would go for that. If you want a different recomendation, I recommend a K702: amazon.it/gp/aw/d/B001RCD2DW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?__mk_it_IT=ÅMÅZÕÑ&qid=1472659838&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=akg k702&dpPl=1&dpID=51suSStG05L&ref=plSrch

German quality

Old onboard audio cards had interference/background noise issues which could actually make headphones sound like hell (especially if the headphones were connected to the front port of the case). Amp only increases volume, you don't need a tube amp to have good bass on the K702, something simple like the E10K already does it.

No, you did well for that price. M40X are still far from good closed headphones though.

The 702's aren't spectacular by any means, and I didn't even try to imply they were. I just said they performed better out of the amp than they did out of my laptops output jack. Are you specifically implying all Schiit gear sounds awful?

And of course "100%" better is hyperbole you pedantic shit, the intended message being that the extra power helps with bass "punch and definition" I suppose you might say. The AKG's felt extremely bass light out of the laptop jack. They're still not bass heavy headphones, but they sound better rounded.

I only stated fed with flac to differentiate that I wasn't listening to 128kbps .mp3s and saying "oh wow it's so much better". Shitty quality compression and shitty mastering are both apparent enough when you hear them.

In regard to what I said about pairing well, contextually I failed to imply I was primarily considering power outputs. Most of the nicer orthos on the market are not terribly efficient and benefit from an amp that can deliver at decent amount of power into the right ohm loads. Almost no heaphones need the power the Lyr has to offer, hell you can run LCD-2's off a Magni just fine. HE-6 or HE-4 though as you mentioned like lots of power. Now having enough amp will never be a consideration for me in buying headphones.

I wasn't "listing random brands" either. I just didn't mention specific models. I'm considering HD 800 / S, LCD-2/3, and GS1000e but those are all options for well down the road.

Take your salt elsewhere.

Not salty in the slightest.

>Are you specifically implying all Schiit gear sounds awful?
No, joking about the Asgard voltage spike before they added a muting relay. Most Schiit gear is pretty neat and performs admirably.

>extra power helps with bass "punch and definition"
It helps with output level, volume. Punch and definition are complete fluff terms and mean nothing. Your amplifier doesn't do anything specific to bass frequencies than it doesn't do to the rest of the spectrum. Maybe the output from your laptop was capacitor coupled or some shit if you truly hear more bass coming out from the K702 now.

LCD2 is easier to drive than your K702, especially since the "fazor" magnet structure Audeze introduced.

The only thing those headphones you now listed have in common is high price and none of them are outright better or worse than what you have now. Preference to sound signature is somewhat subjective. Find out what you want and choose then. I couldn't recommend a Grado to anyone but hey, try it out if you like that kind of sound.

Yeah, I know that the amp only increases volume. That's why I know I need a DAC of some variety. The interference noise that I get out of onboard card is just as bad as it was without the amp, but even more noticeable during quiet breaks between tracks and such at the higher volumes I can reach now. I can literally hear interference any time I move my mouse / scrollwheel. I also hear drive activity through the headphone out. I'm guessing that's internal interference on the computer because I can't imagine what else it would be. Even with output pegged on the onboard card I could only just get the AKG's to a decent volume.

And I didn't really buy the Lyr 2 for the AKG's specifically. They're starter headphones and doing well for exactly that. I certainly know I didn't need a tube amp, any decent solid state amp out there would have done the same job just fine, but I did WANT a tube amp. So I bought one. Well, a hybrid tube amp.

Same reason I have a mechanical keyboard when rubber domes literally work just as well. Same reason anyone buys anything besides the most basic available that would have performed the same function.

>"The only thing those headphones you now listed have in common is high price and none of them are outright better or worse than what you have now. Preference to sound signature is somewhat subjective. Find out what you want and choose then."

Exactly correct, and that's what I'm doing. I haven't listened enough to these or any other headphones to know what's ideal. I bought these because they are supposed to be pretty neutral and figured it would be a great place to start to get an idea of the sound signature I might want. I'll demo as many as I can and eventually figure out what my preference is then buy something. Headphone meets happen every so often in my city.

[repeated digits comment]
>HD 800 / S, LCD-2/3, and GS1000e
Have you listened to these?

idiot

Lambdas have had a very consistent FR for 35 years. Performance on 202/207 is as good as the top lambda models, and still outperform top dynamics in terms of distortion. Fit problems are greatly overstated and are likely associated with narrow heads.

rinchoi.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/stax-sr-207-back-to-basic.html

rinchoi.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/stax-sr-lambda-professional-history.html

The 252 series amplifier is reportedly very good but it won't remain linear at high loudness. IOW it is a superior product for the price.

>Budget
$150
>Location
Scandinavia
>Source
Desktop. Plan on getting a sound card later
Over ear
>Open or closed
No preference
>Comfort level
Comfortable enough to be used several hours a day
>Preferred tonal balance
No preference
>Past headphones
Logitech G35

Philips TSi6400

Well, those requirements are pretty broad man. There are a dozen solid options out there for you.

AKG K240's, Audio Technica ATH-M50's, Fostex T50RPs, Grado SR80s, there are a couple Sennheiser options in that range.

I think you should narrow down your requirements a little.

>Same reason I have a mechanical keyboard when rubber domes literally work just as well.
It's not a fair equation imo. Mech keyboards may grant multiple advantages compared to rubber dome keyboards, whereas pricy amps usually don't perform better than simple/cheap amps.

nigger

I'm afraid I don't know enough about headphones to narrow down my requirements.
Thanks for the list

In order to narrow things down, when and how are you going to use your headphones? Are you going to use them in public places or at home? Do yoy want isolation?

Only planning on using them at home. I'd prefer isolation as long as the price doesn't go up a ton

What advantages, specifically? I've had a Logitech wireless keyboard with domes for like four years now and I've never had any issues with it whatsoever. Not that I don't want a good mechanical or anything, but that's just a look / feel / want thing. I have an 80% with Matias switches and Dolch keycaps on backorder.

That said, you're right about really pricey amps not performing any better than less expensive options. A lot of times you're paying for unnecessary "features" like chassis build quality, tubes, interesting topologies, etc. Whether or not those things have any value to you whatsoever is entirely personal and subjective. I like the aesthetics, construction, and design of my amplifier over something like a FiiO or O2, and I'm willing to spend a little extra money for those things.

Some people want LED backlighting on their keyboard. Some people want RGB LED's. Some people prefer Gateron or Cherry or Matias switches. Some want aluminum cases or any other number of things that aren't functionally important in any way, but they'll pay more for those features.

head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Read over the basic definition of headphone types in this thread, it should help. If you're using them at home, how noisy is your home usually? Do you have loud room mates or a lot of ambient noise? Will it be a problem if sound leaks out (will your roomie be pissed when he can hear your k-pop coming through the back side of your headphones)?

If sound leakage isn't a problem and your listening environment is pretty quiet, you're in good shape for an open headphone, but if you prefer isolation you're better off with something closed.

What kind of music do you mostly listen to / what else will you be using them for? Different types of music can be better suited to different sound profiles that various headphones will offer.

Ok then you're more oriented towards closed-back headphones. For your budget either Sony MDR 7506 or ATH M40X or AKG K271/272HD are good.

I think I finally equalized these "professional" Sonys. Now how do I scrobble this?

Alright thanks. I'll read through it.
I live in a pretty quiet town where the only outdoor noise I hear is wind blowing and birds. As of now I live alone so leakage is no problem.
I mostly listen to metal and classical.
Thanks man

>What advantages, specifically?
It depends on the switches, but generally mech keyboards grant better accuracy, tactile feedback and lower latency.

Does anyone have a guide on using an equalizer that doesn't assume you already know how to use an equalizer?

That looks like a vagina

Audio Technica ATH-AD700X / 900X (Open)
Fostex T50RP (Semi open, huge modding community)
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x (Closed)
Sennheiser HD 558 / 598 (Open)
Beyerdynamic DT 990 (Open)
Beyerdynamic DT 990 (Closed)

Are all headphones worth looking at in your price range, but that's by no means an exhaustive list. I only listed over-ear, but if you're using primarily at home I've always though over ear was by far the most comfortable.

>
>2016
>not making your own electrostatic headphone

Use parametric EQ

Set the preamp in negative decibel equal to the amplitude of your highest EQ boost.

Use rephase if you want to visualise the corrections, or wish to use a convolver to EQ.

yeah what does any of that mean

As a further note, high Q (sharp) filters will create ringing and are not ideal. You are essentially creating a resonance in your signal. Broadband EQ is better.

create a 15 dB high Q 5 kHz EQ if you don't believe me. Play clicks and you'll hear a xylophone effect.

9/10 bait desu ne
>endgame
gave me chills

See preamp, broadband bass boost, and a small treble high Q EQ.