Hackintosh build/discussion

So I'm building my friend a super high end Hackintosh workstation/gaming rig combo. He is a music producer that works on albums and TV shows and movies so he needs Logic X, tons of space and good performance.

How did I do? Keep in mind that even if it looks expensive, it's less expensive than a fucking Mac.

Also, will be dual booting OS X/Windows 10

PCPartPicker part list: pcpartpicker.com/list/jNrntJ
Price breakdown by merchant: pcpartpicker.com/list/jNrntJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($38.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z170 S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($172.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($184.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Mushkin Reactor 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($230.49 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba X300 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($199.99 @ Other World Computing)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($654.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: AOC U3477PQU 34.0" 60Hz Monitor ($589.99 @ Best Buy)
Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Logitech M500 Wired Laser Mouse ($26.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $2924.12

Also, how is your experience with Hackintosh? Reliable enough for this kind of work?

With this price you might as well have bought a real mac and enjoy way better stability.
Not saying Hackintoshs are useless, just saying spending nearly 3k in a computer for "music production" and gaming doesn't sound that great to me

Not OP, but macs limit you in terms of gaming. He said he wanted to do gaming and macs are limiting in that regard.

A Hackintosh seems like a good compromise.

Have you checked that the wifi card is hackintosh compatible?

This is what you get for $3200, a fraction of the storage, a fraction of the GPU performance and you miss out on being able to open up your hardware and replace it with whatever you want. Not to mention you miss out on that kickass 21:9 monitor.

Wasn't concerned about it since I don't know his network setup. I think he's going to wire it

>Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($119.99 @ Newegg)

Have you asked him what he actually needs? If he's a professional music producer I doubt he needs a bloody soundblaster card.

Then again if he was a professional producer he'd be smart enough to keep his work and gayming machine separate.

What's the benefit of having two systems with identical specs besides the graphic card?

If you partition your data and remain organised, what does it matter?

haha your fucking dumb if you honestly believe what you just said

Why would they have identical specs? If you're using logic pro x for work you'll get a genuine mac. While I run a hackintosh myself for fun I would never rely on it a professional capacity and in over a decade of work I've not encountered anyone else who would.

Also why would you want to sit at your work station in your studio in your free time? Not separating the work and leisure environments is a fast track to an unhappy life. I presume if this guy is scoring movies he's in a dedicated studio removed from his living environment? Or are you saying he does this in his living room or bedroom?

>Skylake
>Hackintosh

It will be a lot of pain.

I had this for a while.

I do like the system in many aspects, however I don't want to keep dual booting for shit. I also had to stop using my sound card because it wasn't supported there and had to use onboard which isn't bad, but still.

Are you one of those people that believes that the i5/i7s that Apple uses are "SPECIAL OS X EDITIONS" or something?

He does it freelance (as most producers outside of a label/studio do). Have you ever owned a rig that's really nice? I wouldn't mind sitting at my workstation if it were geared for both aspects of my computing life (but since I'm a 3D modeler for a publisher, we're using the Quadro cards).

That's why you buy for Hackintosh rather than just randomly installing it on your system.

Next time you should get a 1TB SSD, 500GB partition between your two operating systems.

Literally everyone on YouTube using a Skylake Hackintosh says it's completely stable. Just download a custom boot image and you're ready to go.

No I'm one of those people who believes that apple's roadmap involves as much homogenisation as possible. How good is GTX 1080 support in MacOS going to be, for example? Does your motherboard have integrated graphics? Is your friend going to want to work with massive film files (on multiple monitors if he's scoring video) on those integrated graphics? Is he going to need thunderbolt for something like a UAD-2?

I'm freelance too I have been for many years, as are most people in the music industry, as are many many creative professionals. Good for you that you don't mind sitting at your work desk but I don't want to spend my evening in a studio when I've spent the last 12 hours there. That's obviously personal preference.

that machine is defibitely not sound design/msp oriented. what kind of "production" is your friend going to do?
gonna monitor the thread

Nvidia 10xx cards don't have drivers yet

They will by the time it actually gets built.

I wouldn't suggest hackintosh for someone who hasn't built the system and installed OS X themselves.

I use it for my sole income source (freelance webdev) and I'm very happy with it, but I know how it works and how to fix it if it breaks. It's 99.9% stable, but when that 0.1% happens, you're fucked if you don't know what you're doing.

If you go ahead anyways, at least get a Gigabyte mobo.

He's doing it himself. I'm just recommending the hardware for a concept build. Also, will do with the Gigabyte mobo

I really wouldn't hold your breath for that, at least going forward. Nvidia does not give a shit about OS X any more. You'd be better off getting him an AMD card in all honesty.

>not doing whole production in ffmpeg

maxium kek

Then he'll get Vega. Doesn't matter to be honest, I'm just coming up with a ballpark price for top tier hardware

retardation at such point should be illegal

t. guibabby

>working at Warner Brothers on the new Mad Max film
>boss walks in
Uh.... What are you doing?
I'm just using an open source solution that has a fraction of the features found in the $20,000 production software you installed on my computer!

I'd fucking pay to see that. Yeah, like I'm going to edit a 200 million dollar movie on your EFF-approved bullshit

This honestly. I have a 13 inch MB Air for iOS development and general shitposting when away from a wall outlet for long periods of time. I have a Thinkpad with Loonix and a wangblows gayming desktop for everything else.

>developing on a laptop
>all these different devices that are capable of the same thing
Such a waste.

Jesus Christ, if you're primarily at home, get a really nice PC (and a $70 chromebook for the rare instances that you need one in addition to your smartphone). If you're away from home a lot, get a decent laptop.

Reporting in, works flawlessly, built with parts from tonymac list

>but macs limit you in terms of gaming.
What are you basing this on?

Considering that when you bootcamp, you can't install the latest drivers and the fact that games generally aren't made for OS X, yeah... That seems like a reasonable statement.

Also, you get shit performance for the price. I could build a $700 PC that outperforms my friend's $4000 iMac @ 1080p/1440p gaming

windows

I was always curious. Why self-proclaimed artists tend to use Mac?

because macs are better for art user. dont u see

Artists are literally the definition of form over function. They literally make a living out of useless shit with no purpose, just like Apple products.

kek open a book faggot

>>If he's a professional music producer I doubt he needs a bloody soundblaster card.

Yeah and if he wants to play games I doubt he needs a video card.

I'm a fiction writer by trade and my work machine doesn't even have a keyboard.

I think he was saying that the music guy should already have a far better audio interface...

>OS X
Found your problem.