BSD And Other Things

/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD...

Hit up the IRC: #baot on irc.rizon.net

News sites: dragonflydigest.com - undeadly.org

OpenBSD edition
>No Jails
>No ZFS
>No MAC
Without un-audited, unofficial ports you get:
>No deluge (WTF?)
>No Pitvi
>No simplescreenrecorder
>No qbittorrent (WTF?)
>No clonezilla
>No open broadcaster studio
>No opera
>No icecat/iceweasel
>NO GPARTED (wtf?!) or any graphical partition manager that people use
>No WINE
>No Clamentine
>Wayland? Lmao your guess
>No Vuze
>No Chatzilla
>No eye-of-GNOME/MATE
>No Krita (WTF?)
>No Pinta (WFT?)
>No FreeCAD
>No LibreCAD
>No QCAD
>No Amrok (Default KDE Music player)
>No GNOME Phone Manager (phone connectivity)
>No KDE connect (phone connectivity)
>No Openshot
>No Shortcut
>No Kazam
>No FFCast
>No Kodi (WTF?!)
>No udisks to automount external drives
>No engrampa or peazip (for zip files)
>No Bleachbit
>No Screenfetch or inxi
>No CPU-G (Linux version of CPU-Z)
>No Knotes/Gournal for note taking
>No RStudio for statistics

Ask for softwares, get autism

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imageboard
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

BDS is trasg

Might as well use gentoo

>mfw these threads where literally started by mactards to try and circlejerk over their malware proprietary OS
>now that they've been co-opted by Sup Forums no one comes to them at all and applefags have gone back to making bait threads

The BAOT threads are definitely shit threads, but the other BSD threads are better.

Who gives a shit. I just want a BSD thread that's genuinely about discussing BSD and not just pure and constant shitposting. I wish you linux fucks would just fuck off back to your general, it becomes hard to see posts worth reading when I have to sift through mounds of your shitposts. Fuck off.

Who the fuck uses OpenMEMEsd? It has no software.

No one ever cared about BSD on Sup Forums.
Macfags pretended to for a while, but that's over.

The shitposters care enough to spend hours babysitting threads and throwing out random insults every time someone replies

This. BSD has no software, is insecure, and is shit for servers which Linux is god tier in

I do. Some other people clearly did too but they're slowly leaving to other forums because of you. Now fuck off.

>Actually using obsolete BSD
lol hipster

>Me and 2 other trolls baited a few people into trying BSD.
fix'd

>being so obsessed with shitting on BSD you can't even wait for someone to make a BSD thread
Top kek, you're fucking pathetic.

Blatantly false.

You think there is some anti-bsd boogeyman on Sup Forums but the fact is that whoever happens to be around at the time that isn't ignorant will bash it.

There is. There's one or two shitposters that live for shitting up BSD threads, and then the shittiest tripfag the board has ever seen jumps in here and there.

There are, in fact, a handful of dedicated shitposters. You're one of them.

>OpenBSD
>no screenfetch
It has it, it's just that screenfetch is a Bash script so nobody uses it.

Question. As far as I understand there is FreeBSD, and there are two development branches, FreeBSD-STABLE and FreeBSD-CURRENT. The one for end users would be FreeBSD only right? Are there any other branches I should know about?

>forums

>end users
That's PCBSD.

No one uses FreetardBSD.

>Shichan is not a forum
>implying that imageboards are not forums

Back to plebbit friend.

>using the Ubuntu of BSDs

>calls an imageboard a forum
>telling someone else to leave

Back to

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imageboard
>"An imageboard or image board is a type of Internet forum which operates mostly via posting images."

Consider yourself schooled newfag. You might want to YaCy what a forum is by the way. Fag.

Use a release, like 10.3-RELEASE. Don't use CURRENT unless you're developing FreeBSD itself.
And if there were some extreme emergency that could only be solved by moving to 10.3-STABLE that would be okay. But that's almost never needed.
tl;dr 10.3-RELEASE
And don't use PC-BSD, since you can install graphics yourself very easily.

>deletes most posts
>doesn't even delete thread
what

>open thread a couple hours ago
>come back and find 90% of it is deleted post
what

Based mods took care of things

if they did take care of things, they'd have to delete the shitposting OP too

I agree, but it's still better than no shitposts getting deleted. He may not have noticed OP was a shitpost, I know I didn't at first.

What's wrong with ubuntu of BSDs?

Why do people say 'enjoy your FBI backdoors' to BSD users?

An ex OpenBSD dev claimed there are some backdoors in the system. OpenBSD team started auditing and they found a few ""bugs"" which they got rid of as soon as it went public

Years ago there was a rumor that OpenBSD has backdoors and a bunch of people that hate the OS started pretending like it was true.

if you're implying there was a backdoor, feel free to link the specific CVS version where that was a thing

Not even FreeBSD's portsnap vuln has a CVS

yes it does

the exploit still exists in -HEAD, so you can go on CVS and see it right away

hmm, I'll look it up

Daily reminder that BSD is an insecure garbage. It doesn't have softwares in its official repos, which makes people use ports. Ports are maintained by a group of basement dwelling neckbeards and software vendors do not audit their compile scripts.

Software vendors provide precompiled binaries for Linux with checksum, but they don't do the same for *BSD.

Furthermore *BSD has a very limited driver support. Even if some device manage to run, the drivers crash due to aggressive mitigation. This is why your laptop turns into a room heater when you run X-org on BSD.

BSD desktop environments are poorly put together. Many desktop environments are developed with Linux in mind. For example Xfce, GNOME, Cinnamon or MATE uses udev for automounting external storage. BSD doesn't have udev: automounting will not work on BSD. I knew this first hand when I tried PC-BSD (a variant of BSD) few years back. Now that GNOME and other DEs are slowly moving to newer technologies like Wayland and Systemd: BSD is and will always remain crippled for desktop use.

Just for the record, I'll let you in some secrets: almost no printer/scanner and bluetooth devices will work on BSD.

Overall my biggest beef against BSD is its philosophy. It claims to be "secure" but its "secure" version has NO softwares. Use ports and it is no longer BSD team's fault that you used "insecure" 3rd party softwares. What a joke!!

Bottomline:
1. Linux fights with Windows in terms of usability while BSD can't even compete with Linux.
2. BSD offers NOTHING practical to be used instead of Linux.

If you are using a free operating system, use one that's usable for desktops. Don't use a router OS (while Linux beats them in routers as well).

>Linux software is developed for Linux instead of BSD!
Okay.