Server Thread

What are you hosting Sup Forums? Discord? Owncloud? Remote transmission? Open media vault? Plex?

Fill us in on your NAS.

Other urls found in this thread:

help.nextcloud.com/t/migrating-from-owncloud-to-nextcloud/551
microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm hosting your mom and dad while I cuck him.

>>Sup Forums

>AD
>Plex
>webserver
>other useless crap

Owncloud? Anyone running it? I'm about to throw it on an rpi but I'm torn between nginx and Apache.

apache or bust. You'll thank me when you start googling guides.

it's September-1 dude, Use nextcloud. Owncloud was dead in July.

I use Nexcloud on a Raspberry Pi 2 w/ Apache & MySQL.
MySQL tend to fill the RAM because I have 600GB of files, but it still run approximative smooth and works fine.

Do you think I could run both openvpn and nextcloud on an rpi 2? I don't have any other machine to use as a server right now, except with an Athlon 64 x2, which for a nas would be quite a waste of power.

just samba. any media center software is bloat and usually nonfree too.

of course. On mine, I run :
> Nextcloud
> Music server (Madsonic)
> personnal website
> VPN
> Seedbox
And it werk.
Just the web interfaces aren't very fast.

nginx

An RPi is going to suck shit running a VPN, unless you have slow DSL.

What's AD?

I have Plex, Owncloud (haven't setup yet), webserver not in use atm, and other garbage atm.

Planning on using Owncloud plus Plex perhaps to get away from Google botnet etc.

Active Directory. It's a Windows Server directory service.

Neat. Whast are you using Active Directory for at home? I've only ever touched it at work.

It's just temporary, I'm going to make a decent server eventually. Besides, LAN to my desktop is already bottlenecked by the powerline adapter I'm using from across the house... Planning to run ethernet through the attic soon.

In my limited search so far it looks like setting up nextcloud on ARM is a pain, how do you have it all set up?

>music server

Do you use it as a frontend at home or work? How does it work on mobile? I've been using Plex as a sort of spotify on mobile.

>setting up nextcloud on ARM is a pain, how do you have it all set up?
it have nothing to do with ARM, Nextcloud is a PHP application. You just have to install a HTTP server (apache or nginx), php5 dependencies, a db server (MySQL or PostgreSQL) and you're fine.
NextCloud is basically a more recent version of Owncloud.
I originally installed Owncloud earlier then update to Nextcloud when it was viable using this simple 4 step guide : help.nextcloud.com/t/migrating-from-owncloud-to-nextcloud/551

Also meant to ask, can I make it so, on my windows machine, I have a folder that automatically syncs / copies itself onto the nas? I found freefilesync can do this, but haven't installed that yet. If that's an included feature in nextcloud that's a bonus.

nginx or bust

You'll thank me if you're capable of intelligent thought instead of mindlessly copy/pasting shitty guides off google

You can use symlinks or microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155

Third party apps might be easier or better perhaps.

you have the choice

>using only the web interface, which is pain
>using any WebDAV sync client, since Own/Nextcloud is compatible

using the Owncloud desktop client :
>sync your whole cloud to a folder, like Dropbox
>sync multiple folders to different cloud folder
>tick which cloud folder to sync with the client

I use it mostly on mobile, because the interface is heavy as fuck (its in java) and the music folder is synced on my computers with nextcloud anyway

Never used nginx what are the pros/cons compared to apache in your experience?

>I use it mostly on mobile, because the interface is heavy as fuck (its in java) and the music folder is synced on my computers with nextcloud anyway

I might give this a looky loo as I rely heavily Plex these days since I have so many users (10) at home. Only really use it for mobile. Options are always good.

Sounds like the desktop client will work great. It seems I have a project for the night.

Hentai@Home

On my home server made out of an old notebook, I mainly torrent and do backups.
On a vps I rent for like 3 bucks a month, I set up nextcloud for contacts/calendar/tasks sync since I don't use google apps and that's the one functionality I missed, and a xmpp server to use for secure phone messaging with friends.

> inb4 frends get out reeeeeeeee

That was exactly what my goal was towards using Owncloud/Nextcloud. Botnet is what I need completely removed and things will be right as rain.

well:
AD
Terminal server
Vcenter
Veam endpoint
FTP
Torrents
Ntop
Chat admin-bots
Nagios
Observium
Prometheus
IPAM
Mail
Proxy
Speedtest
Unifi
WDS
NTP stratum 1's and 2's
OpenVPN
Rsync
Various game servers
Various websited
Various legacy OS's

>Significantly simpler configuration
>Lower overhead / better performance
Not sure what other benefits you need.

For me it's mostly #1. Apache's config syntax is a gigantic cthulhian clusterfuck of hacked-together spaghetti syntax that grew over the years

nginx syntax is clean, easy to understand, easy to write and doesn't require scouring blog posts to understand how the fuck it actually works

An Apache web server. That's what I'm hosting. I always liked having a place to host my image files without being at the whim of some commercial web host who could shit ads or other crap on my pages.

I don't know how bad it is these days, but in 2003 or so when I created my server it was a pain in the arse to host images on commercial web hosts because they all either required payment for hosting or plastered everything with ads.

Emby
TS3
rtorrent + ruTorrent
Samba
Subsonic
OpenVPN
Also RAID6 storage for a bit of extra redundancy

I'm very happy with it. I ran out of SATA ports though and it's not a server platform, so no ECC. Not perfect, but I can't really get any sort of server gear for something resembling a reasonable price around here. I want to get some sort of PCI-E SATA card, but I don't know what to get, lots of the cheap ones seem to have some Linux issues and the expensive shit is hardware RAID which I do not want.

>nginx syntax is clean, easy to understand, easy to write and doesn't require scouring blog posts to understand how the fuck it actually works
Fucking this.

Wanted to set up a webserver again, then realize all websites i made for it are unfinished pieces of crap,

Wanted to set up a plex server, realize it's one extra library to manage amongst the five I already have to, and to sync you need to pay up or use some other service to do it for free.

Wanted to set up a vpn server, it never works.

So for the moment i have a raspberry pi that serves google calendar.

My nas runs on OMV running several services:
* Plex
* Deluge
* Owncloud - looking to switch to nextcloud/seafile
* Internal page with muximux
* Some random static html pages for external facing.

Also RPI with pi-hole & openvpn server.

>hosting
>Discord

I've got an overpowered server used for:
>sftp (and sshfs)
>i2p VPN
>webserver

Pretty much it. I have a separate raspberry pi which functions as a mailserver, and it's neatly integrated with the webserver.

It all just werks.™

AD, Plex, Exchange, 3CX, SQL, SharePoint, TFS, SCCM, and Lync.

Some other stuff as well, but that's the bulk of it.

I share a 4TB HDD to my desktop and laptops over NFS, I run a terraria server using MONO, and I have Emby set up on my server so that I can stream all of the media to my phone/laptop.

Eventually I will probably set up a RAID, but I do not have much data right now.

it run nothing

My friend you can get dual Xeon blade servers on eBay for under 300 shipping included.

>blade servers
What about the blade chassis, and do you have any idea how much power blades pull? There's a reason they have a minimum of 4, and an average of 8 power supplies.

no, I cannot.

>TS3
I really hope that's behind a firewall or limited to your OpenVPN.

also,
>RAID6
>no ECC to boot
hope you have backups

>I want to get some sort of PCI-E SATA card, but I don't know what to get, lots of the cheap ones seem to have some Linux issues and the expensive shit is hardware RAID which I do not want.
See if you can find a used IBM M1015, Intel RS2WC080 or other LSI 9211 compatible card, then crossflash it. That's what I do and it works like a charm.

It's hosting an onion domain with a somewhat medium strength encryption with vague hints it might be cheese pizza and that it's a secret society but it's just a collection of dick pics and waiting for feds to find it now

What kind of medium-strength encryption?

Any one got experience setting up openvpn?
I set up openvpn access server on Ubuntu 16.04 and it works perfectly, apart from the 2 concurrent user limit. So, I decided to nuke that install and use the openvpn install bash script. The one that automates it all etc rerun to add new users and it worked, mostly. I can connect to the VPN server, but no access to the internet. Is there a way to remove the access server component of an access server install and thus remove the concurrent user limit?

I use the FOSS version of OpenVPN on Ubuntu and it supports as many clients as I want.

I can't tell you what you're doing wrong, but I just installed it via my package manager and set up my config file to suit my needs.

In case it helps, here it is:

# Network configuration
dev tap
server 10.30.0.0 255.255.255.0
keepalive 5 10
comp-lzo

# Make it a true VLAN
client-to-client
ifconfig-pool-persist /etc/openvpn/ipp.txt

# Local PKI infrastructure for authentication
ca /etc/ssl/ca/ca.crt
crl-verify /etc/ssl/ca/crl.pem
cert /etc/ssl/openvpn/public.crt
key /etc/ssl/openvpn/private.key
dh /etc/ssl/openvpn/dh.pem
tls-auth /etc/ssl/openvpn/psk.pem
cipher AES-128-CBC

# This spams the log otherwise
mute-replay-warnings

# Set up routing etc.
script-security 2
up /etc/openvpn/up.sh

I also set up a local CA so I can give users access and revoke it later with no fuss, but that's optional. (You could also use a pre-shared key)

>* Owncloud - looking to switch to nextcloud/seafile
help.nextcloud.com/t/migrating-from-owncloud-to-nextcloud/551
Do it before it's too late

I bought a blade server for £50 today.

What do you mean too late?

Does anyone have any experience setting up a strongswan VPN? I can never get it to connect two locations.

OpenVPN is cool and dead simple until you want to make it "more secure".

What's insecure about OpenVPN?

how can they even compete

You can't even cgi with it unless you do some autistic workaround

location = /index.php {
fastcgi_pass unix:/run/php/php7.0-fpm.sock;
include fastcgi_params;
fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
}

2hard4me

Samba, SFTP, nothing extraordinary.

>it was a pain in the arse to host images on commercial web hosts because they all either required payment for hosting or plastered everything with ads.

>commercial
>required payment

gee, who would've thought

Not necessarily "insecure", just moving from an SSL VPN to an IPSec one.

For example, some vendors don't support OpenVPN/SSL VPNs but have IPSec ones available, so it's a little more interoperable. Of course, you then need to contend with other factors like NAT.

Yea no shit huh?

Either you use a commercial web host or you host your own. Guess what makes sense.

XDCC bot
Webserver
Hentai@Home
Seedbox
SubSonic

On RPi at home:
Remote & scheduled Wake on LAN system
MiniDLNA

What makes you think IPSec is any more secure than TLS?

If anything, I'd wager TLS is more secure than IPSec because it receives several orders of magnitude more exposure and scrutiny, whereas IPSec seems to be mostly dead.

IPSec also makes your deployment extremely complicated, and if you're going to set up all of the necessary IPSec infrastructure you might as well just distribute a pre-shared key among your clients and use OpenVPN in AES-256-CBC+HMAC-SHA256 raw mode, which has none of the TLS complications.

Also I call bullshit on IPSec being more interoperable. Show me 10 hosts on the internet that support IPSec at all, and I'll show you 100 commercial VPN vendors that offer OpenVPN.

Anyway, if you're hosting the VPN yourself, why does vendor support matter? OpenVPN+TLS is essentially just HTTPS so unless they do statistically filtering to distinguish it from regular traffic there's not a whole lot they're going to block about it.

Meanwhile, show me a single corporate firewall or whatever that allows IPSec

1U blade servers don't really offer the storage capacity you could get with a mid or full tower due to size constraints. I mean, with the influx of 2.5" SAS hard disks some blades can pack in 8 or so drives, but the generation on ebay for next to nothing generally don't qualify.

1U != Blade.

What's the fucking point of a blade form factor bigger than 1U unless you plan to buy a rack to go with it? To compensate for your dick size?

For home use they're just a waste of effort unless you for some reason need an entire datacenter at your disposal.

>What's the fucking point of a blade form factor bigger than 1U unless you plan to buy a rack to go with it? To compensate for your dick size?
You don't know what a blade actually is, do you?

Pic related is an HP Blade Center C7000 and blades.

A 1U server is not a blade. It's a 1U server. There's a difference, and you come off sound like an idiot.

>For home use they're just a waste of effort
No. 1U's are inherently loud because of the 40MM fans at 15KRPM. 2U's aren't as bad, because bigger fans. 3&4U servers usually use 120MM fans, and can be near silent.

Or, run a tower and don't bother with a rack mount server.

>unless you for some reason need an entire datacenter at your disposal.
Not an entire data center, but a full rack in a data center, yes.

Just one server at home (Dell PE T620).

Forgot pic...

You are retarded.

>3&4U servers usually use 120MM fans
Usually 80. If you want 120mm fans you're usually looking at 5U. Even my 5U workstation doesn't have 120mm fans.

I was going off my R900's and DL580 G5's which are 4U and 120MM.

Owncloud, transmission-daemon, mpd server, and kodi server

meh

the dl380 is quiet as fuck

That's interesting. DL580 G7s are 92mm, and those are on the large side. I guess they've been downsizing the fans.

Only when it has no expansion cards and is idling.

>A 1U server is not a blade, its a 1U server.
Well excuse me for not giving a fuck, especially since you were unwilling to actually explain what difference there is other than HP, or Dell, or IBM putting "blade" in the series name and tagging on some enterprise synergies magic with expensive recurring contract requirements.

A 1U rack mount server is commonly considered a blade server whether it makes you feel better inside or not. And regardless of what the feature parity between that really expensive monstrosity you posted is and the server is, I wouldn't expect anyone here to be in the market for something so absurd.

>No. *explains why a large door stop with no casters is quiet*

If I'm going to exceed 2U on a server and its not in a datacenter environment, I'd sooner prefer a tower. I'm not some degenerate who is going to just put up with shoving it under my bed or going to similarly leave it to the extremes of the climate in a shed or garage. A tower I can put some casters under for moving about, it doesn't require a rack unless I really want it and working inside one is far less of a chore. Which I'll be doing on the regular, by the way, since all the servers in my average wage slave tier are warranty-less husks of their former self on ebay, like most everyone else here.

>Not an entire datacenter.
A datacenter doesn't have to be a 1000 square foot facility with quadruple redundant power, three phase AC, cray super computers and human resources moderated muilti-cultural workforce at the helm. But you seem to prefer the higher end of the scale to artificially bump your perception on things, so why not.

What are good options for storage? Do you only get the nice LED status lights with dedicated hardware?

nothing special

freenas
2 1tb drives
zfs stripe
i have sickrate/transmission on it for tv show auto-downloads/auto organize. also use it for regular torrenting and have some backups of backups.

i used to have 3 2tb drives in it in a raidz setup, but two fucking drives died on me within a week of each other and i lost it all...

ive only got 25 vm's running on it, but for 2x6 core, 74gb, and 8x300 10k ive never had it get loud. the hp switch on the other hand is fucking ridiculous

DHCP
DNS
VPN
WEB (Internal only)
FTP
Media Streaming
Central File storage
Client PC Backup Location

I do have a Nas but all it does is act as a backup device for my server.

Is there I way I can set up one of those NAS I find on Newegg to just be a server for all my media and also a designated torrent box?

I don't know about all this bitsynch shit I don't want to synch anything I just want to be able to download torrents and stream them to my various shitboxes I have scattered around.

>NTP stratum 1's
What kind of person has a stratum 0 device in their home? That seems a bit far fetched.

Back around 2003ish I used to run AD in my home on my Server 2003 box. But when I later retired it and switched to WHS 2011 I realized that AD in the home was a bit overkill. It's just me and my G/F mostly so AD is kinda pointless.

>A 1U rack mount server is commonly considered a blade server
No, it's not. A blade cannot function without the enclosure. It consists literally of RAM, processors, PCH, and disks. It has no I/O but a custom interconnect to plug into the enclosure. This allows very fast I/O between blades, but I'm not sure how specialized it gets on x86 shit. On non-X86 you will see processors able to address memory directly in another blade with low latency and shit like that.
>If I'm going to exceed 2U on a server and its not in a datacenter environment, I'd sooner prefer a tower.
Towers are a good option, I recommend them to anyone who can afford them. I have two T620s racked up in my spare room and couldn't be happier with the acoustics and the 5U form factor really pads out my rack :^)
>A datacenter doesn't have to be a 1000 square foot facility with quadruple redundant power, three phase AC
There's not a datacenter around that has clients that doesn't have redundant power and three phase AC available.

Basic Internal Services:
DHCP, DNS, LDAP.

Internal Roles:
VMWare: For various testing VMs mostly
Shitty basic Apache site listing local resources

External facing roles:
Mail server

I will probably run more when work decides to dispose of more boxes.

Anyone else have unlimited storage on google drive from their school? Just graduated and because I am an alumni they are letting me keep the account. So I uploaded my movie collection and downloaded a kodi package that lets me stream directly from google drive. It's been super fucking nice, but lately I've been wanting to share it with my non-technical friends but I know they will not use it unless it is easy. So I've been thinking about using a RPi to host a web interface with a login to a website and stream it from their. Thoughts? Suggestions? Criticisms?

>doing lots of work to give people something for free.
Why?

Mostly because it's fun, but also it's something nice to do for my friends. Plus if I am at someones house and I don't have my laptop it would be nice to just go to a website and have my whole library of movies to choose from rather than go through the shit that's on netflix.

nothing now, I have a 5 port hub (hub, not a switch) that I used for sniffing various kinds of traffic, and playing with network programming a bit.

If you use Plex and buy a Plex Pass you can set up Netflix style accounts for them.

that is the dumbest thing you can fucking do. that is one of the few services that literally does actively hunt out and find content like that to shut down

Are you talking about google? Because i don't really give a shit if my account is taken away since I don't use it for school anymore.

Emby does that for free.

Does it?

Yes, you can make accounts for free. And the server software is open source. You can watch content in your browser over HTML5. They charge for their proprietary mobile apps though.

Neat, but does it just work(TM)?

>Well excuse me for not giving a fuck
There is no excuse for you...

No, it's not. Nor has it ever been. A 1U is a 1U, and a blade is a blade.

Then get a tower, like I said. I run a T620 at home for exactly that reason.

>A datacenter doesn't have to be a 1000 square foot facility with quadruple redundant power, three phase AC
Actually, it does. That's part of what defines a data center. Otherwise it's just a com's closet.

>triggered
I keep thinking DL380G5, not DL380G6, and am wondering how you keep it quiet.

Not that a G5 is worth anything, I just have a few that I haven't scrapped yet in a closet, because noise.

>I keep thinking DL380G5, not DL380G6, and am wondering how you keep it quiet.

I feel you there. One of the servers I got from my company during our last round of asset disposal two years ago was a fully loaded DL585 G5 with four cpus and holy shit, every single DL G5 server is like having a jet engine in your house.