Acer: Whatchu want?

>Acer: Whatchu want?
>Guy: I want a laptop that looks like an Amiga 1200
>Acer: Say no more senpai

cnet.com/products/acer-predator-21x/

Other urls found in this thread:

guru3d.com/news-story/eurocom-launches-laptop-with-12-core-intel-xeon-e5-2697-v2-cpu.html
youtube.com/watch?v=vxjCH8d6GbI
techspot.com/review/1231-extreme-laptop-geforce-gtx-1080-sli/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Who buys these

THAT looks fucking stupid

this is worse than any gaming laptop I've seen, at least it would look somewhat acceptable to go outside with an RoG or MSI laptop, but this shit is ultimate faggot tier

it's so amazingly awful that it's kind of brilliant

Fucking hell this thing looks cool

i can kind of see what you mean, but i still wouldn't use it

if it didn't have epic sleek fan vents, it could make you look like an autistic genius, rather than just an autistic man

Dat ass
T
H
I
C
C

I like it.

>6 USB ports and a card reader
nice

It also looks fairly nice from the front.

>yes it has a numpad
>it's chicklet key bullshit when every other key is normal
WHAT THE LIVING SHITFUCK IS THIS

>curved displays.

It have two gtx 1080 inside, wtf....

Obviously those are the mobile chip version of the 1080 but still even with those five fucking fans and heat sinks inside will still not compete with a pc in the matter of cooling, at least those video cards will start to reach 90c if you gonna play witcher 3 or other recent game at ultra on it.

That's the closest fucking thing to a cyberpunk deck that I've seen so far.
9/10 would buy if it came with VR headset and skull plug to the cyberverse

MSI has a similar thing

Anonymous approves of this post.

The number pad flips over for a touchpad, they wouldn't be able to fit it in with mech keys, or compromise by picking on or the other. Let's be real here, no ones going to be doing accounting on this machine.

This seems to have really good cooling going on with all that depth. Even a monster like the MSI GT80 has only 3 fans, but this has five.

looks good to me.

It's a fucking small form factor PC with a screen and keyboard bolted on ..

Can't imagine it runs on battery for more than 5 minutes.

In the server market desktop replacements exist at least.

guru3d.com/news-story/eurocom-launches-laptop-with-12-core-intel-xeon-e5-2697-v2-cpu.html

WTF?! Bahaha, this made it off the pile of bad ideas? That keyboard looks photoshopped in though.

>curved display on a laptop
>big gap between display and keyboard

Just wait until someone puts weight on the lid. Welcome to cracksville.

>no ones going to be doing accounting on this machine
Yeah but someone's gonna be running flight sims and space sims

Just watched a video on it and they said the shell was made mostly of metal, only the trim is plastic, so it might hold well, unless you're a 250lbs lardass.

Article states they are using Cherry MX keyboards

Chance are that's the demographic they're shooting for. Can't see a 105lbs hipster wanting to tote around something almost as heavy as they are.

Why don't you have a seat over there.

They bought a fucking $6000 laptop, may as well shell out the extra $500 for a HOTAS.

or two

Was Sup Forums in on the design meetings?

The idea is to have something compact to carry with you to a LAN party.

It is not really meant to be brought to class every day.

It's certainly going to need two power bricks. Probably 2x 330W like the Eurocom Sky X9E2.

>LAN party

Is it 2001 all over again?

Don't you fucking dare compare that monstrosity to the Amiga!

youtube.com/watch?v=vxjCH8d6GbI

still common with college kids.

It's so bad. Fuck.

>mobile chip version of the 1080
I thought the 10xx series did away with that, and the mobile 1080 is the same but lower-clocked lower.

Which makes me question why they have two of them when they could just have one clocked normally?

Those are actual 1080 chips.

techspot.com/review/1231-extreme-laptop-geforce-gtx-1080-sli/

1080M is not out yet. So 1080s in laptops are now basically the desktop GPU.

This'll look sweet in my lambo as I'm compiling gentoo on the way to the library.

There's like a 50Mhz base clock difference which is completely irrelevant, it's literally the same thing otherwise, and depending on the efficiency of the cooling the boost clock could actually be decent.

Yep this guy gets it. I can almost see some wild engineer with this laptop and a john carmack prototype VR headset and an unlimited corporate 4G LTE+ connection siting in the bed of an old chevy truck out in the desert doing some lawnmower man level shit after he discovered his (((inteligence agency))) AI just became sentinent.......

Needs a trackball.

1080M will never exist.

Not to mention Nvidia sets aside all the well-binned chips for the mobile cards, which means lower voltage and potentially higher clocks if you dare to OC them.

I'm with them.

This just could be the tug-along between home & business.

>mechanical keyboard
>chiclet numpad

Looks like it slides up for the goddamn touchpad.

>no curved keyboard

It looks like a prototype that somehow escaped the dumpster.

>2xGTX 1080 SLI
>A full-sized mechanical Cherry RGB keyboard
>144hz curved screen with Gsync
>4.2 high-end speaker setup
>M.2 SSD RAID
>Designated VR connection I/O

I don't care if it's big. It's awesome.

Can you at least upgrade components in these things? Then, I could see it making sense for someone who wants a literal desktop replacement. This thing is obviously meant to be taken from one place to another and sat on a desk, not used like pic related.

>In the server market desktop replacements exist at least.
No, they don't. That's just a toy. Maybe someone will use it as a mobile workstation, maybe. It's worse than those Tadpole things with a fucking UltraSPARC in them.

I hate those keyboards, if you're going to get an "ergonomic" keyboard then get a split one that's *actually* ergonomic

Maybe loser college kids.

I like the curved screen meme.

Me too. I have one... but on a laptop? Idk about that senpai.

>implying you want to buy a Taiwanese memetop that breaks within a year

>Can you at least upgrade components in these things?
yeah but it's up to the manufacturer to actually make them available

>that benchmark
Jesus fucking Christ

if only they put some thought into their other models as well

fucking acer

>5 storage bays
I wonder if RAIDing them would be bottlenecked

I doubt whatever consumer SATA controller is in that thing is capable of RAID.

In their announcement they said it is upgradeable.

I don't know much about how RAID works but don't people just use software RAID for their desktop?

It looks autistic enough for me to buy it. Who the fuck on Sup Forums cares what laptop he uses ?

No.

This looks 10000times better than any shitty thinkpad especially thinkpads with autistic meme stickers

nice picture for ants, you unstoppable imbecile

Im on phone and dont care enough to find other pic

i like my laptops like i like my women. small and flat

ok i forgive you

Jesus fuck they took the MSI-GT80 and somehow made it even more thick

also fuck that ultrawide shit, a laptop this premium should go for a better ratio.

Yes loser college kids but it's way better than having to just play with other people all alone in your room over the net

That's likely the minimum possible size. If they used a different ratio then it wouldn't fit in a backpack.

fuck I meant acer
oh well, shit content anyway

I'll fuck the shit out of that.

I love gaming laptops but that acer is even too much for me.

>real keycaps
neat. but they should have given the same treatment to the numpad too.

I actually kinda like that aesthetic.
Like something from 80s cyberpunk movie.

There's no way in hell this thing is going to cost under 8k
Probably something like 9999$

Looks fucking retarded as shit, gamers are such morons.

yeah ok
like you did anything meanfull in your spare time

The link says it's 5000$.

>gamers
fun fact, at work we have something similar for presentations at customers.

it basically has the entire dev server setup replicated into a virtual machine on the laptop so it is guranteed to work wherever our sales people go. 32GB ram and desktop i7 and enough thermal headroom are the parts we need, not the gfx.

it's 2016 and corporate customers still often don't have reliable guest wifi. so we lug around the whole thing instead. it's stupid, but it works.

>The number pad flips over for a touchpad
but why didn't they just put the keyboard up top and then the touchpad below that like on a normal laptop? that way you could use the number pad and touchpad at the same time and have somewhere to rest your wrists.

I know right? Normally I scoff at outrageous tech like this, because quite honestly you know that it's giving up something somewhere, and isn't really as top of the line as it makes itself out to be.
But this is literally an ITX box with SLI and a built-in screen and keyboard, which is just crazy enough to actually be an object of desire.
Kind of like expensive cars that are just overpriced for the sake of luxury, but then you get into supercars and suddenly it's so silly that you forget about all semblance of practically and enjoy the spectacle.

Not as aesthetic as a fairlight excalibur imo.

>5000
Uhh....

...at least.
The similarly-crazy-but-17.3" Eurocom Sky X9E2 with a 4K g-sync panel, dual 1080's, 32GB of RAM, 512GB 950 Pro, and 1TB HDD costs about $5,500.
This one is sure to be at least $500 more for similar specs just because of the bigger form factor.

You might as well just built a Mini-ITX computer if that's what you want.

What does Acer even do these days?

I never see their shit now.

This system is intended for use on a table top, which means your hands will be higher up than if it were on your lap, add to that the already huge height of the laptop and you'll get hand cramps. On something this thick you just can't have the keyboard be up back anymore, which is why the MSI GT80 laptops do the same. This also puts the board away from all the hot components, so you won't toast your palms on the surface.

No. They're literally going to throw 1060's into laptops due to their low power/heat.
This.

don't speak to me or my 80s hardware ever again

>implying there's anything wrong with an Amiga 1200
I would have killed for one as a kid (tfw only had an A600).

That's a sweet machine.
This is what they should have aimed.
Even the cooling would be better since it's blocky and thick as hell.

You are retarded

If you're going that route, why not doing the outer carcass out of aluminium and add an insane ammount of fans and pipes to allow superrefrigeration.

How does this cost $2k in 1988 and Acer wants 8k when there is nothing remotely proprietary inside acer machines

It would be great.
They could push it as a hipster movement of old-school looking top of the line hardware instead of being another edgy gaymur laptop full of lights and shit like every other ayylienware.